Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: stuff shelliR

Posted by Elizabeth on August 3, 2001, at 15:12:14

In reply to Re: stuff Elizabeth, posted by shelliR on August 2, 2001, at 23:49:33

> I think it was Colin Ross who wrote an article about the DD-NOS diagnosis, saying that there were some very distinct diagnosis in that general diagnosis that should be identified on their own. He divided NOS into different categories: one subset: all but MPD, including "co-conscious MPD".

I can see the utility of that. I think I've encountered other people who are co-conscious, like you are. Was there ever a time when you weren't co-conscious? Because I think that the only cases of this version of DDNOS that I've heard of have been the result of people achieving co-consciousness through therapy, so it could be considered "DID in partial remission."

> I definitely agree with him because I think less people in the institutions known for diagnosing almost everyone with a DD as DID, might be less inclined to do so, if the distinctions were written out clearly.

Yes, that's a good point.

> I have been so depressed during the last few weeks that an as-needed basis would be all the time.
> That's why I'm going to start parnate next week; at least that's my plan for today.

Good luck to you. I think that brief-acting drugs (opioids, stimulants) probably are best used with an antidepressant in the background, so to speak. I'm definitely doing much better on buprenorphine and desipramine than I was on buprenorphine alone or desipramine alone (I stopped the buprenorphine for a short time when I first started taking the DMI).

> I was taking 7.5/750 of vicodin and 10/500 lortab. Does the APAP affect the condone part?

No, there are all sorts of combinations. 7.5/750 is Vicodin ES (extra strength), I believe, and plain old Vicodin is 5/500.

> When you say most favorable ratio, do you mean because you are getting less APAP in your body or because the ratio would affect its effects on your depression?

Less APAP, that's all. The APAP is not helpful for depression; it only serves to tax your liver.

> Okay, what I still don't understand is this: Isn't 10mg of oxycontin the same as 10mg of vicodin -like 10/500 of vicodin is the same only the vicodin has APAP with the codone?

That's debatable. Some people think oxycodone and hydrocodone are equianalgesic, some think oxycodone is superior.

> And same with 10mg vicodin vs 10mg lortab-same amount of synethic codeine, right?

Hydrocodone isn't codeine, it's a semisynthetic opiate derived from codeine. But yes, the 10 mg is the amount of hydrocodone in the pill.

> Elizabeth, the desipramine sounds pretty incredible for you. Around what year did desipramine come on the market?

Early 1960's, I would think. It's just the primary active metabolite of imipramine, the first TCA. I appear to be a "slow hydroxylator" (meaning, in particular, that I don't metabolise TCAs properly), which might explain why I never was able to tolerate other TCAs (amoxapine, nortriptyline) past 75 mg.

Desipramine isn't a perfect success, but it does seem to be a suitable substitute for Parnate (with less hassle involved).

-elizabeth


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Elizabeth thread:67742
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20010731/msgs/73376.html