Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 75408

Shown: posts 380 to 404 of 488. Go back in thread:

 

Re: MAOI diet restrictions Bigdave

Posted by Mairwen on December 18, 2003, at 4:20:41

In reply to MAOI diet restrictions, posted by Bigdave on December 17, 2003, at 20:23:14

>
> On the subject of diet restriction and which foods to avoid that might contain tyramine, I'd like to know if anyone has any comments on the following types of foods which I like regularly
> but seem to be in a grey area:
>
> Bisto Gravy Granules
> (contains hyrolysed vegetable protein)
>
> Balsamic Wine Vinegar
>
> Brown Sauce (english table sauce)
> (contains molasses, date paste, tomato
> paste, soy sauce)
>
> Quorn products (Vegetarian meat alternatives)
> (these contain mycoprotein, rehydrated egg
> white, milk protein, gelling agent: pectin)
>
> Tesco Vegetarian Bacon Style Rashers
> (made from wheat and soya protein)
>
> Realeat Vege Mince - this looks like a big no no?
> (Rehydrated Wheat Protein (20%), Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (20%), Vegetable Oil, Soya Flour, Soya Protein Isolate, Yeast Extract, Vegetable Bouillin, Malt Extract)
>
> Quorn Mince
> (Myco-protein* (88%), Rehydrated Egg White (free-range), Roasted Barley Malt Extract, *Mushroom in origin and not a GMO)
>
> Pot Noodle Chicken & Mushroom Flavour -- another no no?
> (contains textured soya pieces, Yeast, Yeast Extract, Hydrolysed Vegetable protein)
>
> Tamari sauce
>
> Pickled Onions
> (contain Lactic Acid, Acetic Acid, Malt Extract)
>
> Tinned Soups that contain Yeast Extract or Vegetable Bouillon Concentrate
>
> Tinned Soups that contain Haricot Beans
>
> Curry sauces that contain Yogurt, lacitic acid, Coconut Cream Paste, Mango Chutney)
>
> Frozen stored pasturised milk
> (milk thats been stored in the freezer
> then defrosted and kept in fridge past its
> use by date)
>
> Canned/bottled beers:
> (I know beers are recommended to be avoided
> but wondered if anyone drinks any of these without
> adverse affects)
> Stella Artois
> Holsten Pills
> Carlsberg
> Heineken
> Budweiser
>
> White Wine:
> Regular White Wine
> Fizzy White Wine
>
> Spirits:
> Vodka
> Irish Whisky Cream Liquor
> White Rum
>
> I know it seems a bit over the top writing down everything in my cupboard, but I dont want to take any chances at all and would like to start as I as mean to go on, with a list of things to avoid and things that are safe, no with no grey areas.
>
> I intend to write to the manufacturers of these products and will post any comments they might care to make in due course.
>
> Bigdave
>
>
Hi
Just to let you know I can eat some Quorn products, but they do use yeast extract in some. The fillets are ok. One glass of white wine is ok and so is frozen milk.
Mairwen

 

Re: MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by bobbiedobbs on December 18, 2003, at 19:22:35

In reply to Re: MAOI diet restrictions Bigdave, posted by Mairwen on December 18, 2003, at 4:20:41

You will spare yourself alot of unnecessary worry and deprivation if you consult some of the historical posts involving contemporary allowed MAOI diets. Sounds like you are working off of some archaic diet lists! If you do a search under Bobbiedobbs (me) you should find guidance re soy-based products and links to medical studies concerning tyramine and MAOIs.
I used MAOs for over 20 years (up to 60 mg.) and only had reactions to anchovy paste and decongestants. I regularly consumed alcohol (all forms are OK except draft beer, microbrewed beer and non-alcoholic beer) and the soft cheese such as ricotta and mozarella. But please don't take my word for anything (as I'm sure you won't). Do yourself a favor and spend some time and consult some of the historical posts on this site. Best posters were jessica and elizabeth. You should find some links to these folks earlier in this string. Best of luck. Nardil is a great drug if you excercise proper care.
p.s. You might also think about carrying one of of the generally recognized antidotes, such as procardia. Sorry can't give you more details but leaving for a week for vacation. good luck. --Phil

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Bigdave

Posted by cornycon on February 18, 2004, at 8:36:03

In reply to Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions, posted by Bigdave on December 17, 2003, at 19:44:42

> I'm due to begin a trial course of Nardil in a few days and I've been researching as
> much as possible about the MAOI diet restrictions. Unfortunately I'm having to self-
> medicate myself as my doctor flatly refused to prescribe Nardil and told me it's unlikely
> any dr will prescribe it me for treatment of social anxiety. Very unfortunate for me
> since now I have to pay for the medication myself at a cost of 50 a month.
>
> My dr described it as a "dirty drug" and said it was no longer used! I wrote to my dr last
> week to give him the 'good' news about me taking Nardil myself privately and he wrote back
> to me saying "I strongly advise you not to take Nardil without supervision" and recommended
> that he refers me to a specialist, a road which I've been down several times already.
>
> I've decided that Nardil is something I want to try and I'm sure if I'm sensible
> and careful with the diet I'll be fine. That's really the reason for my post to get some
> answers and hopefully put to together an overall diet guide. From the posts I've read here
> I must say it seems very daunting and confusing with lots of conflicting and non-specific
> information.
>
> One thing which particularly worries me is people saying that certain things which are
> recommend to avoid, are ok, such as beers and wine and some food items. Surely
> it's better to be safe than sorry and avoid these items, period? Afterall everyone is
> different and what's fine for one person may produce a terrible reaction in another
> person. Another reason for sticking to the list rigidly is that it's impossible to say
> with any kind of accuracy what levels of tyramine may or may not be found in certain
> types of food on the things to avoid list. How can you possibly know how much tyramine
> is in a serving with so many different variations and other factors? I think if I start
> gambling with this and experimenting I would become very anxious and worried that I'd
> have a hypertensive reaction and that might bring one on anyway!
>
> If you stick to the guidelines then you're not taking chances is how it seems
> to me. It doesnt seem majorly difficult to me to maintain a strict diet, certainly for
> vegetarians anyway. The only real sacrifice for me will be cheese and beer which I enjoy
> often.
>
> It's puzzling to me how since the diet restriction is such an important issue for people
> taking MAOI medication, why there isnt a single authorative published list somewhere
> on the web with very specific and detailed information which is updated regularly. Perhaps
> maintained by the drug manufacturer?
>
> One point which is seldom discussed as well is that it's better to take your MAOI
> medication sometime AFTER a meal which is likely to contain tyramine. I've read that
> this can minimise the chance of a hypertensive reaction or make it considerably less.
> This sounds like good sound advice to me and makes sense. Does anyone agree with this
> and use this approach with taking MAOI meds?
>
> Bigdave

In regard to the safety of taking foods in the groups that have tyramine in them.

I have found that the degree of reaction to these foods is more than just the levels of tyramine that they contain. For example the rate of the digestive process, the regularity of Bowel motions, Blood pressure, Medication combinations, Season of the year.

I live in the southeastern part of Australia, My greatest reaction period is in the period between February and June. During this period even very minor levels will result in severe migraine attacks. At other times I am able to eat almost whatever I feel like. As a comparrative example: I like tasty/aged chese, am of Dutch descent and eat Edam and Liverwurst. In my safe period I can eat 250 grams of aged cheese with only a minor fuzzing effect, however in my unsafe period I am restricted to approx. 15 grams. Other foods however are a no-no at all times. Yeast extracts, wine,beer and a number of others.

I am still trying to compile my lists. The process for me is a little more difficult than it would normally be due to mittigating circumstances.

I have the following on my problem list:

Depression: 1 Script
Epilepsy: 3 Scripts
Arthritis: 1 Script
Injury management: 2 Scripts
Resectioned Bowel & Lower Intestines resulting in digestive and elimmination problems

My level of tolerance is dependant on how much of an impact one or more of the above conditions with their associated medication levels is having on me.

As to the question of taking your meds before or after a meal, my experiance has been that this only results in a shift in the onset time, rather than the severity of the attack.

In a consultation with one Dr. I was prescribed Medical Oxygen to treat what he detirmined as stress pains. (This Diagnosis has turned out to be inaccurate, this detirmination being established by a lifestyle study that found no corroborative evidence. The sensitivity to Tyramine has since been detirmined.) This has had a very positive effect to date. Prior to the Oxygen the severity of the pain was about 9/10 while the attacks would last anywhere from 3 hours to 9 hours. With the Oxygen I have been able to contain the length of the attack to about 15 Minuites, breathing the Oxygen for the whole period. This is generally the end of the attack, however there have been occasions where I have inadvertantly been caught out with the Tyramine content, and this results in an on off pattern. (start of attack; 15 min O2; 2 hour break; attack return; 15 min O2. I had one time that this start stop went for a whole night, bad eating habits. But with checking I found that my BP was only 100/70. Normally my BP is 130/80, so I am assuming that this has some bearing on the case.Blood flow volume v Flush time.

The upshot of all of the preceeding is that from my experience it is better to start with a small amount and gauge its effect on you, then make a decision based on this about it's safety for "YOU"
Because as is shown in test reports done on the content of Tyamine in the same product from different batch's, there is wide variation, the same conclusion should be applied to people and their tollerance levels.

Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon

Posted by Sad Panda on February 18, 2004, at 9:46:06

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Bigdave, posted by cornycon on February 18, 2004, at 8:36:03

> > I'm due to begin a trial course of Nardil in a few days and I've been researching as
> > much as possible about the MAOI diet restrictions. Unfortunately I'm having to self-
> > medicate myself as my doctor flatly refused to prescribe Nardil and told me it's unlikely
> > any dr will prescribe it me for treatment of social anxiety. Very unfortunate for me
> > since now I have to pay for the medication myself at a cost of 50 a month.
> >
> > My dr described it as a "dirty drug" and said it was no longer used! I wrote to my dr last
> > week to give him the 'good' news about me taking Nardil myself privately and he wrote back
> > to me saying "I strongly advise you not to take Nardil without supervision" and recommended
> > that he refers me to a specialist, a road which I've been down several times already.
> >
> > I've decided that Nardil is something I want to try and I'm sure if I'm sensible
> > and careful with the diet I'll be fine. That's really the reason for my post to get some
> > answers and hopefully put to together an overall diet guide. From the posts I've read here
> > I must say it seems very daunting and confusing with lots of conflicting and non-specific
> > information.
> >
> > One thing which particularly worries me is people saying that certain things which are
> > recommend to avoid, are ok, such as beers and wine and some food items. Surely
> > it's better to be safe than sorry and avoid these items, period? Afterall everyone is
> > different and what's fine for one person may produce a terrible reaction in another
> > person. Another reason for sticking to the list rigidly is that it's impossible to say
> > with any kind of accuracy what levels of tyramine may or may not be found in certain
> > types of food on the things to avoid list. How can you possibly know how much tyramine
> > is in a serving with so many different variations and other factors? I think if I start
> > gambling with this and experimenting I would become very anxious and worried that I'd
> > have a hypertensive reaction and that might bring one on anyway!
> >
> > If you stick to the guidelines then you're not taking chances is how it seems
> > to me. It doesnt seem majorly difficult to me to maintain a strict diet, certainly for
> > vegetarians anyway. The only real sacrifice for me will be cheese and beer which I enjoy
> > often.
> >
> > It's puzzling to me how since the diet restriction is such an important issue for people
> > taking MAOI medication, why there isnt a single authorative published list somewhere
> > on the web with very specific and detailed information which is updated regularly. Perhaps
> > maintained by the drug manufacturer?
> >
> > One point which is seldom discussed as well is that it's better to take your MAOI
> > medication sometime AFTER a meal which is likely to contain tyramine. I've read that
> > this can minimise the chance of a hypertensive reaction or make it considerably less.
> > This sounds like good sound advice to me and makes sense. Does anyone agree with this
> > and use this approach with taking MAOI meds?
> >
> > Bigdave
>
> In regard to the safety of taking foods in the groups that have tyramine in them.
>
> I have found that the degree of reaction to these foods is more than just the levels of tyramine that they contain. For example the rate of the digestive process, the regularity of Bowel motions, Blood pressure, Medication combinations, Season of the year.
>
> I live in the southeastern part of Australia, My greatest reaction period is in the period between February and June. During this period even very minor levels will result in severe migraine attacks. At other times I am able to eat almost whatever I feel like. As a comparrative example: I like tasty/aged chese, am of Dutch descent and eat Edam and Liverwurst. In my safe period I can eat 250 grams of aged cheese with only a minor fuzzing effect, however in my unsafe period I am restricted to approx. 15 grams. Other foods however are a no-no at all times. Yeast extracts, wine,beer and a number of others.
>
> I am still trying to compile my lists. The process for me is a little more difficult than it would normally be due to mittigating circumstances.
>
> I have the following on my problem list:
>
> Depression: 1 Script
> Epilepsy: 3 Scripts
> Arthritis: 1 Script
> Injury management: 2 Scripts
> Resectioned Bowel & Lower Intestines resulting in digestive and elimmination problems
>
> My level of tolerance is dependant on how much of an impact one or more of the above conditions with their associated medication levels is having on me.
>
> As to the question of taking your meds before or after a meal, my experiance has been that this only results in a shift in the onset time, rather than the severity of the attack.
>
> In a consultation with one Dr. I was prescribed Medical Oxygen to treat what he detirmined as stress pains. (This Diagnosis has turned out to be inaccurate, this detirmination being established by a lifestyle study that found no corroborative evidence. The sensitivity to Tyramine has since been detirmined.) This has had a very positive effect to date. Prior to the Oxygen the severity of the pain was about 9/10 while the attacks would last anywhere from 3 hours to 9 hours. With the Oxygen I have been able to contain the length of the attack to about 15 Minuites, breathing the Oxygen for the whole period. This is generally the end of the attack, however there have been occasions where I have inadvertantly been caught out with the Tyramine content, and this results in an on off pattern. (start of attack; 15 min O2; 2 hour break; attack return; 15 min O2. I had one time that this start stop went for a whole night, bad eating habits. But with checking I found that my BP was only 100/70. Normally my BP is 130/80, so I am assuming that this has some bearing on the case.Blood flow volume v Flush time.
>
> The upshot of all of the preceeding is that from my experience it is better to start with a small amount and gauge its effect on you, then make a decision based on this about it's safety for "YOU"
> Because as is shown in test reports done on the content of Tyamine in the same product from different batch's, there is wide variation, the same conclusion should be applied to people and their tollerance levels.
>
> Cornycon

Hi Cornycon,

I'm in SE Queensland. I'm not on an MAOI(yet), but would love to hear more about what you think about the different tyramine levels of different cheeses. I can live without Beer, Wine, Vegemite, etc. But not sure I can live without some kind of cheese.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by cornycon on February 19, 2004, at 1:33:23

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by Sad Panda on February 18, 2004, at 9:46:06

Dear Panda
For more info Re. cheese and other foods you can check the following sites.
http://www.migraeniker.dk/engelsk/triggers/tyraminmigraene-englisk.htm
http://www.naturesbounty.com/HealthNotes/Diet/Tyramine_Diet.htm

I have generally had no problems with the Cheddar cheese slices. But then again I don't have more than 2-3 slices at a time. However with COON & Mainland Gouda as well as shredded tasty cheese in general I have to exercise caution. I too like like these and can eat a 250gm block in one hit. For this indulgence I sometimes pay very dearly. In the last 2 days I made the mistake of making myself a "Healthy meal" without considering the total content, rather than the individual content of the ingrediants. The onset of the pain was not typical and I compounded the problem by taking a Sudafed tablet because I thought it was a hayfever reaction. I have had almost no sleep and suffered a great deal during this time. So with our love of cheese it is still a case of eater beware. I have at times realised that when I would have expected some sort of consequences, they have not occured. I am thinking that there is a posibility that this situatiuon was a result of the food combinations that I had at the time. I'm still working on this one, as the mittigating factors are many and varied, as you can see from my list. It could also have been the different retention level of one of the other meds that i'm on, a difference in the time that I took my meds, etc, etc. It could have been wheather or not I have had a bowel motion in the last week,(due to ops I have periods of up to 3 weeks between, this has been for my whole life).
Are you considering starting, thinking of seeking help or not started an already prescribed med.


Regards, Best Wishes & good luck

Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon

Posted by Sad Panda on February 19, 2004, at 2:59:04

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions, posted by cornycon on February 19, 2004, at 1:33:23

> Dear Panda
> For more info Re. cheese and other foods you can check the following sites.
> http://www.migraeniker.dk/engelsk/triggers/tyraminmigraene-englisk.htm
> http://www.naturesbounty.com/HealthNotes/Diet/Tyramine_Diet.htm
>
> I have generally had no problems with the Cheddar cheese slices. But then again I don't have more than 2-3 slices at a time. However with COON & Mainland Gouda as well as shredded tasty cheese in general I have to exercise caution. I too like like these and can eat a 250gm block in one hit. For this indulgence I sometimes pay very dearly. In the last 2 days I made the mistake of making myself a "Healthy meal" without considering the total content, rather than the individual content of the ingrediants. The onset of the pain was not typical and I compounded the problem by taking a Sudafed tablet because I thought it was a hayfever reaction. I have had almost no sleep and suffered a great deal during this time. So with our love of cheese it is still a case of eater beware. I have at times realised that when I would have expected some sort of consequences, they have not occured. I am thinking that there is a posibility that this situatiuon was a result of the food combinations that I had at the time. I'm still working on this one, as the mittigating factors are many and varied, as you can see from my list. It could also have been the different retention level of one of the other meds that i'm on, a difference in the time that I took my meds, etc, etc. It could have been wheather or not I have had a bowel motion in the last week,(due to ops I have periods of up to 3 weeks between, this has been for my whole life).
> Are you considering starting, thinking of seeking help or not started an already prescribed med.
>
>
> Regards, Best Wishes & good luck
>
> Cornycon

Thanks for the reply Cornycon :) I guessed that the processed slices would be OK for a slice or two, but they don't have any age & therefore tyramine or flavour :( I have seen mention recently that provolone was OK, have you had an experience with it? The second webpage is fairly harsh, I can't believe that you can't have tomatoes!? They don't have much protein so how can they contain tyramine?

I have atypical depression, I am taking Efexor+Avanza & am feeling realtively happy, but I still have zero motivation & drive. Everything I have read so far indicates to me that Parnate is the 'gold standard' for atypical/anergic depression, but if an MAOI diet has to be as harsh as that second webpage suggests then I don't think I could do it.

Cheers,
Panda.

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Sad Panda

Posted by Chairman_MAO on February 19, 2004, at 7:37:05

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by Sad Panda on February 19, 2004, at 2:59:04

I would give up tyramine-rich foods like aged cheeses--which I love dearly--in a heartbeat if I got euthymia and energy in return! There's no contraindication for cannabis, anyway. :) Wellbutrin seems to be doing an OK job, but I am so agitated and paranoid at times that I want to bite down on a block of wood. I've tried Effexor, Celexa, Lexapro, Remeron, desipramine, trazodone, Wellbutrin for depression. When does this madness end?!? Perhaps someday I will get a sympathetic doctor that will trust me with my own freaking life enough to prescribe Parnate.

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO

Posted by cornycon on February 20, 2004, at 5:50:04

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Sad Panda, posted by Chairman_MAO on February 19, 2004, at 7:37:05

Nardil is a high level side effect generator. If you decide to commence a self tretment program then I would strongly advise you to also put in place some sort of monitoring program.

With regards the warning on Tomatoes: This item is included on the list because there is a certain level generated via Alkaloid biosynthesis. This level is variable and is dependant on the growing environment, contact with insects (they stimmulate response mechanisims as well as depositing protiens onto and into the fruit), stage of development and control sprays used during the growth cycle.

There are a lot of things that I havent tried, so I can't give an answer on your question regarding Provolone. However based on its characteristics I would say that it would have high levels of Tyramine.

I have come across some research that may be of interest. The drug Selegiline ( Eldepryl. Deprenyl) is selective for MOA type B, which is the accepted triggering agent for the Tyramine reaction. It appears that with small doses of this drug the MOAB levels are inhibited to the extent that significant levels of Tyramine can be tolerated before there is any reaction.

The down side to this is that if you take too much with your MAOI you could end up in BIG trouble. For more info consult the following site ( It may not appear like a relavent site but carefully read the info): http:www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/drugdb/120.html

RE: Parnate. Have you checked out what this supposed salvation drug can and will do to you???? For more info. check out the following site:
http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/tranyl.html
Rather you than me is all I can say.

Regards and best of luck to all

Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon

Posted by gardenergirl on February 20, 2004, at 6:17:29

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO, posted by cornycon on February 20, 2004, at 5:50:04

Provolone, like mozzarella, is not an aged cheese. It is fresh, and thus, unless it is well past an expiration date, it usually contains low to insignificant levels of tyramine.

I'm not sure what you were highlighting with the link. Perhaps the list of side effects? I have to admit, I've seen as long a list on many other drugs. Most of MAOI side effects are tolerable and/or go away in time. Like any drug, there are some SE's that are deal-breakers. This is an individual decision between a patient and doctor. And of course you know that everyone does not respond alike to meds.

I respect your opinion based on your needs, but please do not disrespect the decisions made by others.

gg

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO

Posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 7:56:01

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Sad Panda, posted by Chairman_MAO on February 19, 2004, at 7:37:05

> I would give up tyramine-rich foods like aged cheeses--which I love dearly--in a heartbeat if I got euthymia and energy in return! There's no contraindication for cannabis, anyway. :) Wellbutrin seems to be doing an OK job, but I am so agitated and paranoid at times that I want to bite down on a block of wood. I've tried Effexor, Celexa, Lexapro, Remeron, desipramine, trazodone, Wellbutrin for depression. When does this madness end?!? Perhaps someday I will get a sympathetic doctor that will trust me with my own freaking life enough to prescribe Parnate.
>

I haven't asked my doc about Parnate yet, I'm hoping a higher dose of Efexor is going to give me some motivation. If it doesn't work my only other activating med choices here are Reboxetine, Nortriptyline or Parnate.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon

Posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 8:19:55

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO, posted by cornycon on February 20, 2004, at 5:50:04

> Nardil is a high level side effect generator. If you decide to commence a self tretment program then I would strongly advise you to also put in place some sort of monitoring program.
>
> With regards the warning on Tomatoes: This item is included on the list because there is a certain level generated via Alkaloid biosynthesis. This level is variable and is dependant on the growing environment, contact with insects (they stimmulate response mechanisims as well as depositing protiens onto and into the fruit), stage of development and control sprays used during the growth cycle.
>
> There are a lot of things that I havent tried, so I can't give an answer on your question regarding Provolone. However based on its characteristics I would say that it would have high levels of Tyramine.
>
> I have come across some research that may be of interest. The drug Selegiline ( Eldepryl. Deprenyl) is selective for MOA type B, which is the accepted triggering agent for the Tyramine reaction. It appears that with small doses of this drug the MOAB levels are inhibited to the extent that significant levels of Tyramine can be tolerated before there is any reaction.
>
> The down side to this is that if you take too much with your MAOI you could end up in BIG trouble. For more info consult the following site ( It may not appear like a relavent site but carefully read the info): http:www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/drugdb/120.html
>
> RE: Parnate. Have you checked out what this supposed salvation drug can and will do to you???? For more info. check out the following site:
> http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/tranyl.html
> Rather you than me is all I can say.
>
> Regards and best of luck to all
>
> Cornycon
>

Thanks for the heads up Cornycon. :) I won't be self medicating as that costs too much money that I don't have ATM.

A snip from that page http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/tranyl.html

"Uses: Treatment of major depressive episode without melancholia. Not a first line of therapy; is used when clients have failed to respond to other drug therapy. Investigational: Alone or as an adjunct to treat bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder, and manifestations of psychotic disorders. Also, treatment of social phobia, seasonal affective disorders, adjunct to treat multiple sclerosis, and to treat idiopathic orthostatic hypotension (e.g., Shy-Drager syndrome) refractory to conventional therapy."

This med looks nearly like it was made for me as I am having a "major depressive episode without melancholia"(Atypical) + some social phobia + some problems with obsession + nil drive or motivation. I guess if I end up on Parnate I will soon work out what I can & can't have to eat. :)

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions gardenergirl

Posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 8:33:34

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by gardenergirl on February 20, 2004, at 6:17:29

> Provolone, like mozzarella, is not an aged cheese. It is fresh, and thus, unless it is well past an expiration date, it usually contains low to insignificant levels of tyramine.
>
> I'm not sure what you were highlighting with the link. Perhaps the list of side effects? I have to admit, I've seen as long a list on many other drugs. Most of MAOI side effects are tolerable and/or go away in time. Like any drug, there are some SE's that are deal-breakers. This is an individual decision between a patient and doctor. And of course you know that everyone does not respond alike to meds.
>
> I respect your opinion based on your needs, but please do not disrespect the decisions made by others.
>
> gg
>
>

That web page would be just the drug monograph that typically comes with any drug. It list every possibly side effect for legal reasons I guess.

When my doc wanted to put me on Efexor, I was fearful of my BP going up since, every bit of data I have seen on the net seems to indicate Efexor's main side effect was to make BP rise. I already have high BP & am taking an ACE inhibitor for it & my doc assured me that if Efexor worked for me that it would lower my BP & so far this has been the case. So I guess when people say YMMV it really is true. :)

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon

Posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 9:26:09

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO, posted by cornycon on February 20, 2004, at 5:50:04

> I have come across some research that may be of interest. The drug Selegiline ( Eldepryl. Deprenyl) is selective for MOA type B, which is the accepted triggering agent for the Tyramine reaction. It appears that with small doses of this drug the MOAB levels are inhibited to the extent that significant levels of Tyramine can be tolerated before there is any reaction.
>

Below 20mg/day you don't need to be on the diet, but being an MAO-B inhibitor means that it doesn't increase the levels of Serotonin or Norepinephrine which makes it not an anti-depressant. Above 20mg/day makes it no longer selective & you have to be on the diet. It will be awhile before we get to see the patch.

"In controlled clinical trials, selegiline caused slight improvement in motor performance at the start of therapy and worsening at its discontinuance; it also delayed the development of disability that requires the addition of levodopa. Selegiline was approved by the FDA in June 1989."

In Australia you can't have Selegiline until AFTER you are on levodopa--decarboxylase inhibitor combinations. We are a backwards country.

Cheers,
Panda.

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by cornycon on February 21, 2004, at 6:32:11

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 9:26:09

> > I have come across some research that may be of interest. The drug Selegiline ( Eldepryl. Deprenyl) is selective for MOA type B, which is the accepted triggering agent for the Tyramine reaction. It appears that with small doses of this drug the MOAB levels are inhibited to the extent that significant levels of Tyramine can be tolerated before there is any reaction.
> >
>
> Below 20mg/day you don't need to be on the diet, but being an MAO-B inhibitor means that it doesn't increase the levels of Serotonin or Norepinephrine which makes it not an anti-depressant. Above 20mg/day makes it no longer selective & you have to be on the diet. It will be awhile before we get to see the patch.
>
> "In controlled clinical trials, selegiline caused slight improvement in motor performance at the start of therapy and worsening at its discontinuance; it also delayed the development of disability that requires the addition of levodopa. Selegiline was approved by the FDA in June 1989."
>
> In Australia you can't have Selegiline until AFTER you are on levodopa--decarboxylase inhibitor combinations. We are a backwards country.
>
> Cheers,
> Panda.
>
>

The suggestion of Selegiline was purly for its inhibitor effect and as adjunct to the other meds. With the med streams that are currently in place the manifest benifits that would ensue from investigation of the effect and what other meds could be used along with it seem to be a pipe dream of the desperate diet restricred nail biting people stuck with the narrow minds of the med profession that wants to avoid any possibility of legal repercussions.

Regards Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by cornycon on February 21, 2004, at 7:28:12

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by gardenergirl on February 20, 2004, at 6:17:29

> Provolone, like mozzarella, is not an aged cheese. It is fresh, and thus, unless it is well past an expiration date, it usually contains low to insignificant levels of tyramine.
>
> I'm not sure what you were highlighting with the link. Perhaps the list of side effects? I have to admit, I've seen as long a list on many other drugs. Most of MAOI side effects are tolerable and/or go away in time. Like any drug, there are some SE's that are deal-breakers. This is an individual decision between a patient and doctor. And of course you know that everyone does not respond alike to meds.
>
> I respect your opinion based on your needs, but please do not disrespect the decisions made by others.
>
> gg


It is not a decision between a patient and his doctor. Doctor refused to prescribe, and patient is acting on own decision.

I neither offered nor implied any disrespect to anybodys decision. It was a message of caution and a stated personal position.

With respect to the issue of side effects, tollerence levels et al. if you have followed the thread then you will find that my position has been that each individuals situation is unique, being tied to so many other factors, that an overall generalisation is not possible. However even given the previus statement the inherent risks of a drug that has so many side effects that are directly attributible to reactions with a large number of substances. Substances contained in (But not measured or controlled) in a wide variety of foods, drinks, medications and natural substances. has a greater risk factor than a drug that mearly has a large number of side effects as a direct result of the actions of that drug. In the latter case the severity can be moderated by changing the dosage to allow normalisation/adaption of the body's processes. However in the first situation the type, level of reaction is dependant on almost random, and hard to control external factors.

My stated position remains, he is welcome to his action but care and monitoring systems should be put into place prior to comencement, as he is not doing this with the doctor.

The direction to the relevant web site was to provide information in order to be able to make a more informed decision. That decision being based on the impact that use of it will have on personal lifestyle/conditions.

regards Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Sad Panda

Posted by cornycon on February 21, 2004, at 8:07:48

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions cornycon, posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 8:19:55

> > Nardil is a high level side effect generator. If you decide to commence a self tretment program then I would strongly advise you to also put in place some sort of monitoring program.
> >
> > With regards the warning on Tomatoes: This item is included on the list because there is a certain level generated via Alkaloid biosynthesis. This level is variable and is dependant on the growing environment, contact with insects (they stimmulate response mechanisims as well as depositing protiens onto and into the fruit), stage of development and control sprays used during the growth cycle.
> >
> > There are a lot of things that I havent tried, so I can't give an answer on your question regarding Provolone. However based on its characteristics I would say that it would have high levels of Tyramine.
> >
> > I have come across some research that may be of interest. The drug Selegiline ( Eldepryl. Deprenyl) is selective for MOA type B, which is the accepted triggering agent for the Tyramine reaction. It appears that with small doses of this drug the MOAB levels are inhibited to the extent that significant levels of Tyramine can be tolerated before there is any reaction.
> >
> > The down side to this is that if you take too much with your MAOI you could end up in BIG trouble. For more info consult the following site ( It may not appear like a relavent site but carefully read the info): http:www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/drugdb/120.html
> >
> > RE: Parnate. Have you checked out what this supposed salvation drug can and will do to you???? For more info. check out the following site:
> > http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/tranyl.html
> > Rather you than me is all I can say.
> >
> > Regards and best of luck to all
> >
> > Cornycon
> >
>
> Thanks for the heads up Cornycon. :) I won't be self medicating as that costs too much money that I don't have ATM.
>
> A snip from that page http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/tranyl.html
>
> "Uses: Treatment of major depressive episode without melancholia. Not a first line of therapy; is used when clients have failed to respond to other drug therapy. Investigational: Alone or as an adjunct to treat bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder, and manifestations of psychotic disorders. Also, treatment of social phobia, seasonal affective disorders, adjunct to treat multiple sclerosis, and to treat idiopathic orthostatic hypotension (e.g., Shy-Drager syndrome) refractory to conventional therapy."
>
> This med looks nearly like it was made for me as I am having a "major depressive episode without melancholia"(Atypical) + some social phobia + some problems with obsession + nil drive or motivation. I guess if I end up on Parnate I will soon work out what I can & can't have to eat. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Panda.
>
>
>

Hey Panda

Do a lot of cross checking first, then if think it might be your "Holy Grail" then you use your charm an persuasive personality so that you can end up on it. And like I have said all along care, care and more care. Panda's are an endangered species and I hate the idea that a little bit of carelesness may cost us another one. So for the sake of us all, when trying any new things take the time to be shure about any adverse reactions that may be starting to manifest.

Keep a list of all of the things that could potentially cause a problem, and in a very conspiciuos place, for consultation purposes.

As a victim of a number of reactive effects there are times that it is not a hell of a lot of fun. Doudle vision, fuzzing, shaking, minor seizures, heart palpitations, loss of muscle control, etc. etc. and they are difficult to combat as the interactions are so numerous and the lists are getting very long.

Best to you

Cornycon

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions bobbiedobbs

Posted by cornycon on February 21, 2004, at 8:59:02

In reply to Re: MAOI diet restrictions, posted by bobbiedobbs on December 18, 2003, at 19:22:35

> You will spare yourself alot of unnecessary worry and deprivation if you consult some of the historical posts involving contemporary allowed MAOI diets. Sounds like you are working off of some archaic diet lists! If you do a search under Bobbiedobbs (me) you should find guidance re soy-based products and links to medical studies concerning tyramine and MAOIs.
> I used MAOs for over 20 years (up to 60 mg.) and only had reactions to anchovy paste and decongestants. I regularly consumed alcohol (all forms are OK except draft beer, microbrewed beer and non-alcoholic beer) and the soft cheese such as ricotta and mozarella. But please don't take my word for anything (as I'm sure you won't). Do yourself a favor and spend some time and consult some of the historical posts on this site. Best posters were jessica and elizabeth. You should find some links to these folks earlier in this string. Best of luck. Nardil is a great drug if you excercise proper care.
> p.s. You might also think about carrying one of of the generally recognized antidotes, such as procardia. Sorry can't give you more details but leaving for a week for vacation. good luck. --Phil


To all of those people out there who need information and come to this site, head me and beware.

From the point of view of some of the contributors, there is almost nothing that you can't have with regards food/drink. However annecdotal evidence of people posting to this site show that the sensitivities to foods/drinks is so varied that the broad statement of Phil above is a dangerous message to listen to.

Work it out for yourself, and use the longest list you can find to start with. Then with personal experience you can start to cross items off, post cautions on others and red flag those that are outright a definite no-no.

Too carefull is not good from the dietary aspect, but too free will kill you faster.

I've spent a lot of time with a lot of different problems, requiring their own sets of meds and dietary restrictions, to throw it to the wind by being irresponsable in this area. If you have done your homework with regards your own set of guidelines and follow them at all times (Just like your med routine) then why would you need to carry an antidote.

Continue to strive

Cornycon

 

Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia

Posted by Bigdave on March 17, 2004, at 6:13:36

In reply to MAOI diet restrictions, posted by Bigdave on December 17, 2003, at 20:23:14

Hi everyone,

This is sort of a follow-up post to <a href="http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20031213/msgs/291105.html">my post</a> last year concerning MAOI meds for social phobia.

At the time, I was trying to by Nardil online from a UK company without prescription since my doctor wouldn't prescribe it. It proved unsuccessful in the end getting any Nardil, but now, 3 months later, I'm on Manerix under the guidance of a pdoc. Manerix is a newer reversible MAOI which is specifically for social phobia.

It's only my first day on the med today and I'm not feeling any side effects yet and I hope it will continue to be the case. I'm keeping a journal of my progress on this med for the benefit of other social phobia sufferers and to gage the effectiveness of Manerix for treating social phobia.

Will keep you updated

Bye for now

BigDave

 

Re: Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia

Posted by RobertPalsing on June 3, 2004, at 21:54:20

In reply to Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia, posted by Bigdave on March 17, 2004, at 6:13:36

Does anyone know if these foods are safe to consume if you haven't taken the medicine in 12/24/etc. hours? I just got a prescription for Nardil and am just wondering. I feel very buzzed like I'm kind of drunk and I'm having trouble finding words. I hope I don't stay mentally dulled because I'm definitely feeling pretty stumped right now. I don't really feel any anxiety though.. just out of it.

I assume Soy cheese is out too? I will venture to say before someone tells me that soy cheese is NOT ok to consume on MAOI.

Thanks.
"Bob"

 

Re: Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia RobertPalsing

Posted by Carlos C on June 5, 2004, at 2:43:32

In reply to Re: Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia, posted by RobertPalsing on June 3, 2004, at 21:54:20

If you experiment (slowly, at a level you and your doctor feel comfortable) you'll most likely find that the diet restrictions are over-hyped.

Personally I didn't have to modify my diet at all. I ate aged-cheeses, drank wine, and even took amphetamines while on 90mg of Nardal. None of which raised my blood pressure much. At least not to an alarming rate.

 

Re: Starting a new MAOI - how long to expect?

Posted by RobertPalsing on June 5, 2004, at 16:11:07

In reply to Re: Starting a new MAOI med for social phobia RobertPalsing, posted by Carlos C on June 5, 2004, at 2:43:32

Never taken an MAOI (the only category I haven't touched). With SSRIs I usually noticed a change(if it was going to happen)within 2 weeks, with APs about a week, with TCA around 1-2 weeks. I felt different the first Nardil I took but I still have anxiety. Is there anyone who had massive anxiety that was helped by Nardil that can tell me about their experience in the first few weeks? Just the basics would help. THanks much.

Take care,
"Bob"

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by hungry for info on October 11, 2004, at 16:38:29

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions Chairman_MAO, posted by Sad Panda on February 20, 2004, at 7:56:01

I returned from a session with a Psycharist this am. I've been on tri-cyclics & SSRI's since 1980, with on and off relief. In addition to clinial depression, I have primary insomnia as confirmed by a sleep study. Like some of the other posts, I feel I've been popping pills with no real benefit. The Dr. I saw today suggested I consider MAOI's, and said they weren't the dangerous drugs they made out to be. This fellow is an Assoc.Prof. of Psychiatry at Vanderbilt and had good recommendations from his peers, so I tend to feel comfortable with what he says.

Since he suggested I "consider" them, I thought I'd better check them out, and landed here through Google. Boy, the posts don't sound encouraging! I can handle dietary restrictions, but am concerned about dizzyness, fainting, and the other side effects mentioned. How does one function driving, at work, etc. with those kind of side effects. I'm 62 and jobs are tough to come by at my age. I hate to think of jepordizing it by experiencing some of the side effects at work, or not being able to drive.

The SSRI's (& I think I've taken most of them)have made me a zombie also, but still haven't really taken care of the depression. I'm unproductive, getting very clumsy, have no libido (no wise cracks about the age, please!), force myself to do things on weekends; well, really, just not a lot of fun. Outside of the first prescription of tri-cyclics (which seemed to stop working after a year or so), I have had no relief. The insomnia is making everything else worse (or is everything else making the insomnia worse? Good zen question).

Anyway, I'm to the point of trying most anything. But it seems a lot of the side effects discussed are what I'm trying to get away from.
I don't see the Dr. until next month, so have time to ruminate on it. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks.

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by Tai Chi on October 11, 2004, at 21:26:54

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions, posted by hungry for info on October 11, 2004, at 16:38:29

I have struggled with depression for the past 35 years and finally went on Prozac in 1990. However, I soon developed treatment resistance, finding many drugs ( SSRIs, Effexor, Serzone, TCAs, Wellbutrin) either intolerable or ineffective. I did have a successful therapeutic run of four years with Remeron. After the Remeron gave out, I went through 8 months of hell trying different combinations of medications, as well as ECT. A little over a year ago, I started Nardil. Nardil has turned out to be a wonder drug for me, completely alleviating my anxiety and depression. Im currently taking 45 mg a day.

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions

Posted by bobbiedobbs on October 11, 2004, at 23:40:33

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions, posted by Tai Chi on October 11, 2004, at 21:26:54

I've taken several SSRIs besides all three MAOIs. My experience has been that the side effects from the MAOIs are no worse and in some cases more benign than with the SSRIs; generally less fatigue. Dizziness went away after a week or so. Sexual side effects have been dehabiliting on Nardil and Marplan but not on Parnate; however, there are a number of permissable remedies. Finally, many of the diet restrictions are quite (out)dated. You can safely drink all alcohol except draft/microbrew beer, and any of the soft or processed cheeses, including mozarella, processed American slices, ricotta. I would certainly encourage you to try an MAOI based on your experience. The MAOIs have helped me far more than any of the SSRIs.
Phil

 

Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions bobbiedobbs

Posted by gardenergirl on October 12, 2004, at 20:54:40

In reply to Re: Nardil and MAOI diet restrictions, posted by bobbiedobbs on October 11, 2004, at 23:40:33

Phil,
Can you even drink aged Scotch or other aged liquors? I've really been missing margaritas.

gg


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.