Posted by antigua3 on January 24, 2009, at 15:27:52
In reply to Re: Least favorite words/phrases from therapists., posted by TherapyGirl on January 24, 2009, at 14:44:16
1. "Oh, that's not going to happen," as if he is dismissing anything I firmly believe might happen. Yes, I might be catastrophizing (sp?), but him telling me that it's not going to happen makes my rebellious side want to go right out and make sure it does happen.
2. "I really enjoy working with you." Well, would they ever say, "I really hate working with you, you're such a pain?"
3. "I'm honored that you've shared this information with me." Yeah, right.
4. "You've worked so very hard." Bleh.
5. "You've made such great progress," as I'm crying my eyes out and feeling wretched.
I find all these words so patronizing. Being patronized, or feeling like I am, is at the top of my pet peeve list, right along with sensing that I'm being pitied.