Psycho-Babble Psychology | about psychological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Difficult decision - Tamar Shortelise

Posted by Tamar on April 11, 2005, at 14:09:10

In reply to Re: Difficult decision - Tamar, posted by Shortelise on April 11, 2005, at 12:19:23

> My parent's took me to a psychiatrist when I was nine years old. I'm not sure what their perception of why they took me was, but I was depressed. The psychiatrist told them they needed to let me accomplish some things on my own. Low self esteem, don't you know. Can you hear my bitterness? They neither heard or listened to her. She understood at least partially what was going on with me.

Oh dear. That sounds pretty rough.

> I'm telling you that because my mother might say, oh, we took you because you were walking in your sleep, or, because you were crying all the time, or, because you were being cruel to the cat. The truth was, whatever the symptoms, I was depressed. Really depressed. So whatever your mother might say, unless she tells you about a trauma that you've repressed, which is always a possiblility and maybe that's what you fear, she'll be remembering through her own filters.

Yeah, that figures. Good point.

> I am so curious now as to what my mother would say, I am going to ask her!!

Let us know what happens! But also: be careful...

> You say that you can see your old T again if need be, and you are thinking about talking with your Mom about something that's potentially upsetting - could it be that you're feeling the need to see your T for a few sessions for a bit of a tune-up? You know how sneaky our minds can be, and maybe it's become important to you have an answer to this question because you're needing some support?

Ah yes! The sneaky minds thing! I think you are entirely right about that.

> If it were me, I'd call the old T, make an ap't to see him/her, and go for a chat. Maybe talking about this old stuff with Mom would best be discussed beforehand with someone who know you and your history?

Ive been thinking about what you suggested. The fact is, its been a very short time since terminating (less than a month) and I suspect Im looking for an excuse to call him. I think I should probably resist temptation. I dont need answers urgently, and maybe I should give myself a bit of breathing space before I stir up old emotions.

> Just me and more of my whacky ideas.

I like your whacky ideas! Many thanks.

Tamar


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Psychology | Framed

poster:Tamar thread:482545
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/psycho/20050409/msgs/482870.html