Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

part 2

Posted by Medusa on October 6, 2003, at 4:21:12

In reply to Re: Effexor withdrawal symptoms!, posted by Heather33 on October 4, 2003, at 21:27:27

Me again. When I last was on Effexor, I took a very low dose, combined with fluoxetine/Prozac. When I decided to taper off, I increased the fluoxetine and decreased the Effexor v-e-r-y slowly. I mean dust-on-the-finger amounts. And I still wasn't in a happy place.

Effexor contains norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, right? I think that's why I keep going back. I hate the label "ADD", but my picture is right there beside it, and on Effexor, I didn't drop things. Seriously, every day I make really clumsy physical blunders. And on Effexor, this was reduced by about 95%, and I'm guessing the remaining 5% is what everyone experiences. On the right combination of fluoxetine (haven't tried other SSRIs yet) and venlafaxine/Effexor, I feel ... normal. Myself without the yuck layer.

The worst withdrawal EVER for me was before I knew about the SSRI/Effexor interaction. I'd thrown a bunch of meds in my bag before a 10-day trip, and then decided to only bring what I needed. Somehow I removed the SSRI I was on, and brought only an old bottle of Effexor. I thought that Effexor was just like the other SSRIs and was interchangeable, and figured I'd better take *something*. Well, that trip was lovely. I was building up courage to do all kinds of things I'd feared for years. When I got home, I'd run out of Effexor, and had to travel to my sister's huge wedding, so I didn't think about meds. Basically I went cold-turkey off of Effexor 10 days after I'd gone cold-turkey off the SSRI. Not cool. Fortunately, I had to arrange all the flowers for her over-the-top froofy herding, so I was pretty much locked in her in-laws cool glassed-in porch for a couple of days. I had no idea what was going on in my body - and I wish I had, because this was a prescription-happy family of doctors.

I remained fascinated by that 10-day period of plain-me clarity I'd enjoyed, and twice since, I've gone back on very low doses of Effexor combined with Prozac. I hate hate hate the short half-life, and the w/drawal symptoms that start a few hours before dose time. But I can't take XR - the doses are just too high.

Anyway! I don't know why withdrawal from Effexor is such h-e-double-hockey-sticks.




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Medusa thread:12459