Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Question for the audience ...

Posted by Noa on October 21, 1999, at 17:55:04

In reply to Re: Question for the audience ..., posted by allison on October 21, 1999, at 17:40:20

I think we can expect to see some improvement in the care of older people, if only because of the growing numbers of older people and the fact that the next generations to reach that age are more empowered. So called boomer effect. I think it is useful to find a doctor whose specialty is gerontology. ALso, there are social workers and nurses who specialize in gerontology, particular in psychiatric gerontology, and some of them only do case management, ie, coordination of care, services, family support, etc. With all the different doctors and meds, it is important to have someone keeping track and researching how all those meds work together, and being the link among the different prescribers.
Allison, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. How incredibly sad. I guess we need to add a nutritionist to our expert panel. I was also reminded of how a couple of years ago, my dad had a sudden increase in blood pressure that caused him to become cognitively impaired and have amnesia. We are lucky he didn't walk or drive away from home (he actually drove to home in this state, but the worst part of it happened while he was at home). He was alone for a few hours and says he doesn't remember any of it. When my mom got home, she found him to be talking incoherently and seeming completely disoriented and confused. She panicked and got him to the hospital. It turns out his blood pressure had shot up because of some sort of medication mix up--a new prescription or something. If it had gone on for much longer, he wouldn't have made it. I know that potassium/magnesium supplements are part of his cocktail, I guess that is what reminded me of this story.
Deb, is there a nurse or social worker you could bring in who specializes in gerontology? Or maybe even a physician?




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Noa thread:13392