Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 208531

Shown: posts 92 to 116 of 116. Go back in thread:

 

Re: For many people ... Parnate}} Brusell Maxime

Posted by wcfrench on January 19, 2004, at 23:24:21

In reply to Re: For many people ... Parnate}} Brusell, posted by Maxime on January 10, 2004, at 19:56:04

Are you BPII? Anyone had good results with Nardil or Parnate with bipolar? I have tried TCA and SSRI but not great results.

Thanks

 

Re: For many people ... Parnate}} Brusell

Posted by Maxime on January 20, 2004, at 13:39:17

In reply to Re: For many people ... Parnate}} Brusell Maxime, posted by wcfrench on January 19, 2004, at 23:24:21

I'm BP 1 actually. MAOIs are less likely to cause mania than SSRIs and TCAs.

Maxime

> Are you BPII? Anyone had good results with Nardil or Parnate with bipolar? I have tried TCA and SSRI but not great results.
>
> Thanks

 

Re: Lamictal is DANGEROUS and INEFFECTIVE

Posted by GoodAnimal on January 20, 2004, at 13:54:10

In reply to Lamictil is NOT a mood stabilizer Krissy P, posted by BarbaraCat on March 18, 2003, at 15:33:44

I was misdiagnosed as BiPolar in may of 2000, although I was not told about it until I actually started treatment in September of that year (my GP never bothered to tell me of the psychiatrist's letter.) When I was told of the diagnosis, it came with all sorts of advice generally stating that being bi-polar is a wonderful thing, and I was given books to read like one by some psychiatrist at UCLA who went out and purchased 27(?) emergency snake bite kits, or spent $35,000 on frivolous shopping. Needless to say, I exhibited none of these symptoms. I repeatedly insisted that I was not manic, I was just very depressed, and had very good situational reasons to be depressed (losing my home, grieving the death of both parents, among other things).

I struggled with my psychiatrist and her supervisor, a Dr. Z. from Toronto (BEWARE! BEWARE! ). It turned out that Z. was applying for, or had just received a grant to conduct research on the effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in BiPolar patients. He probably needed more people for his tests, and conveniently labelled me bipolar (I have since realized that characteristics which Z. chose to attribute to a bipolar condition are actually the markings of a lifelong struggle with ADHD. I would like to point out here that while "attention deficit" is labeled an abnormality and a disorder, I say we are just wired differently, not abnormally - I think of it as being a Mac person in a PC world.)

What ensued were two years of absoltue torture. Because of the misdiagnosis, I was not allowed to take SSRIs such as Prozac which had worked for me in the past for depression (although I can now see that I had made several bad choices while under the influence of this false high), but which, due to misuse, catapulted me into three sleepless nights which culminated in a brief, chemically-induced psychotic episode. (I had had the dosage increased - OVER THE PHONE - to 3x20mg of Prozac a day over the years. I was homeless and jobless and the drugs were so prohibitively expensive that I decided to take one one day, two the next, three the third, then two again on the fourth day, one on the fifth, two on the sixth and so on. Bad idea, though I at the time figured that the famous half-life would take care of the varying doses.)

I resisted their recommendations of Lithium, Serzone, Zyprexa, and several other drug cocktails; but by the time November rolled around, with that awful winter approaching, and me sinking deeper and deeper into depression, I finally said to my doctor, give me anything but give me something, I'm dying here. Their answer was Lamotrigine (Lamictal). BEWARE! I lost 25 lbs in a month, my skin became dry and my nails ridged and brittle, and I began losing my hair, with a plethora of other unpleasant symptoms (including a rash on the upper half of my body). Not only had I aged 10 years in 6 months, it has damaged my liver, and disrupted my sleep to the extent that to this day I wake up after only 3-4 hours of sleep, while in the past I was an 8-9 hour sleeper. As you may imagine, I am always tired, and my energy and focusing abilities are low with such extensive and long-lasting sleep deprivation. My doctor's answer to my lack of sleep was to prescribe clonazepam which, when I decided to stop taking it some weeks later, gave me a week of such bad shakes I couldn't even sign my name. I'm still bewildered by these doctors' arrogance in virtually taking a sledgehammer to our heads, while at the same time admitting that they have no clue as to what they're doing, they have no real tests to diagnose or determine treatment for chemical imbalances in the brain (which, in most cases, is another widespread fallacy). It's all just shots in the dark. Their ONLY agenda is their pocket, and their professional/political ambition. We are, indeed, no more than lab rats for them and their sponsors, the evil druglords of Eli Lilly and the likes.

I struggled to rectify the diagnosis, and for those of us who have been debilitatingly depressed, I'm sure you've encountered being invalidated in whatever you say. I finally had a session with Z.'s superior, who immediately concluded that I was not BP, I was just very, very depressed. Z's angry response to my cry for help was that I should "stop being a victim", and leaving the room in a huff. Very supportive, isn't it? Let me also mention here that the CBT workbook that they prescribed is an insult to anyone's intelligence.

I went back to taking prozac for a while, but stopped taking it again because I had come to detest PMeds and everything they involve, philosophical and practical. I figured, if I am sad then that's just who I am and I will not continue to damage my god-given health on the altar of their uncaring stupidity. I have been off any medication for over two-and-a-half years, and while withdrawal was as bad as the worst depression and took nearly two years, I am doing a little bit better every day. I moved and started working again, and can even withstand the abusive cycles of a boss who is truly BiPolar (and on Wellbutrin). (Don't worry, I'm out of there as soon as I'm able).

This is my story. While I acknowledge that there are a small number of people who may need to be on medication, perhaps paranoid schizophrenics, but most others would probably do better with constant support, particularly during the 1-2 years of withdrawal that all these medications entail.) Don't believe the old "side effects" line - a drug's effects are exactly that, and all of them - there's nothing "side" about it, they're all real and valid effects. These so called "mental health care" professionals will gladly damage you if it serves their purposes or their innate arrogance and stupidity. I still wake up crying in anger, thinking of what people that I trusted to help did instead.

My personal turning point came after reading Andrew Solomon's "The Noonday Demon". What first attracted me to the book was that it begins with stating that all the names in the book are real - what a refreshing change, particularly in contrast to the made-up character amalgams who populated the CBT workbook. While at the end of several hundred fascinating pages Solomon chose to continue with his 5-6 drug cocktails and I chose the opposite road, his book allowed me to feel that I was still a valid human being who is worthy of being treated as such, even if only by myself.

God Bless Us - Every One! (though please god, bestow no blessings on Z. and his cohorts)

 

Re:May be ineffec. 4 you, but IT IS NOT dangerous! (nm)

Posted by catmint on January 20, 2004, at 15:27:47

In reply to Re: Lamictal is DANGEROUS and INEFFECTIVE, posted by GoodAnimal on January 20, 2004, at 13:54:10

 

Re:May be ineffec. 4 you, but IT IS NOT dangerous!

Posted by wcfrench on January 20, 2004, at 16:03:20

In reply to Re:May be ineffec. 4 you, but IT IS NOT dangerous! (nm), posted by catmint on January 20, 2004, at 15:27:47

No. 1 rule in psychotropic drugs: everything affects everyone differently.

 

Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?

Posted by jtevers on January 20, 2004, at 17:23:27

In reply to Re: Lamictil is NOT a mood stabilizer Flipsactown, posted by Flipsactown on January 19, 2004, at 11:36:15

hello all...

i have been on seroquel ( an antipsychotic ) and neurontin ( a mood stabilizer ) for several years since a diagnosis of bipolar in 2000.

i have consequently gained 60 lbs. over two winters due primarily to my meds. ... this weight has not responded to even the most vigorous exercise and diet.

i am currently investigating alternatives to my present treatment regimen and a local doctor has asked i switch from gabapentin / neurontin to lamictal / lamotrigine because the latter is weight neutral. i have read several testimonials of weight gain while on lamictal right here, but don't know who to trust....

does anyone have any insight about the propensity of lamictal to cause weight increase?

 

Re:May be ineffec. 4 you, but IT IS NOT dangerous! wcfrench

Posted by Flipsactown on January 20, 2004, at 17:56:55

In reply to Re:May be ineffec. 4 you, but IT IS NOT dangerous!, posted by wcfrench on January 20, 2004, at 16:03:20

I agree and I will continue taking 400mg lamictal. Almost anything is better than living with depression. Why be depressed when you don't have to?

Flipsactown

> No. 1 rule in psychotropic drugs: everything affects everyone differently.

 

Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?jtevers

Posted by girl1969 on January 20, 2004, at 23:55:02

In reply to Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?, posted by jtevers on January 20, 2004, at 17:23:27

Of course, this is just my experience...

First, lamictal is an incredible mood stablizer for me. I am bipolar 1 with a long history of mania and lamictal has balanced my moods. That's just me, but that's why it was prescribed to me and that's how it works for me. I take 400 mg.

Second, the only side effect that I have had since starting lamictal is loss of appetite. Like you, I have gained a great deal of weight since I started taking psych meds, so I'm not complaining just yet. If it becomes a health concern for me, I'll deal with it then. As for now, it's a great feeling not to have a pill tell me what to eat and when.

Best of luck to you...
Girl

 

Re: double double quotes GoodAnimal

Posted by Dr. Bob on January 21, 2004, at 0:05:05

In reply to Re: Lamictal is DANGEROUS and INEFFECTIVE, posted by GoodAnimal on January 20, 2004, at 13:54:10

> My personal changing point came after reading Andrew Solomon's "The Noonday Demon".

I'd just like to plug the double double quotes feature at this site:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#amazon

The first time anyone refers to a book without using this option, I post this to try to make sure he or she at least knows about it. It's just an option, though, and doesn't *have* to be used. If people *choose* not to use it, I'd be interested why not, but I'd like that redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/admin/20020918/msgs/7717.html

Thanks!

Bob

PS: Also, please don't post the same information in more than one place at the same time.

 

Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain? girl1969

Posted by jtevers on January 21, 2004, at 18:20:29

In reply to Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?jtevers, posted by girl1969 on January 20, 2004, at 23:55:02

girl,

thanx for the insight, getting my life back in order (since my diagnosis) has always included the desire to get back in shape (i was once a marathoner and gym-rat).

i hope lamictal will play a part, i have read so many promising reviews, in fullfilling that desire.

since i am currently taking both a GABA drug (neurontin) and seroquel, both famous sedatives and appetite promoters, the "activating" effects of lamictal may be welcome. i grow increasingly suspicious of its propensity to increase anxiety and induce insomnia, though.

 

Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?jtevers

Posted by girl1969 on January 21, 2004, at 22:18:38

In reply to Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?, posted by jtevers on January 20, 2004, at 17:23:27

Hi again...

A word about the anxiety... I had a bout of it while I was titrating up (a lengthy process). As soon as I reached a therapeutic dose (400 mg), I had no anxiety whatsover.

As far as insomnia, I take the lamictal with geodon and I sleep really well. Since I started taking them both at the same time, it's difficult to tell what's doing what.

Hopefully, if you continue taking the Seroquel, you won't suffer from insomnia.

Weight gain from meds is sooo frustrating. I gained a lot (a lot!) on Zyprexa and it wasn't responsive to diet or exercise. People give the advice of "diet and exercise," but it's not that simple. Now that I'm off the Zyprexa, the weight is literally falling off.

Wishing you the best,

Girl

 

New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it

Posted by BWL on April 16, 2004, at 18:00:45

In reply to Re: Lamictil side effects, weight gain?jtevers, posted by girl1969 on January 21, 2004, at 22:18:38

Hi. For the past 10 years I've been told that I suffer from depression & ADHD as well as an anxiety disorder. I just started seeing a new doc & after filling out some forms, he feels that I'm more appropriately Bipolar. Who figured? Not me. Anyway, he put me on Lamictal (the starter dosage kit thing for 4 weeks)as well as Wellbutrin XR150.

Then, he goes into this long discourse about how occassionallly, rarely, not very often...a rash can occur...and sometimes, even more rarely...it could be fatal. Ok. That like totally freaked me out. After all, I do suffer from an anxiety disorder.

When he saw my apprehension he prescribed Klonopin to ease my anxiety. Yes, for the past 3 days, I've slept well. But I'm so freaked out about getting that "sometimes, rarely, fatal skin rash" that I find myself checking for it all the time. And the MASSIVE headache I've now got, well, I don't know if it's because of the RX or because I'm so anxious.

Yep, I freak out over death causing stuff. All I want to know is...should I REALLY be THAT worried about it?

Thanks a bundle. BWL

 

Re: New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it

Posted by prodgirl on April 17, 2004, at 12:15:03

In reply to New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it, posted by BWL on April 16, 2004, at 18:00:45

I am just at the last week of the starter pack of Lamictal, but also just tapered off Effexor (the EVIL E). Yes, I had headaches, but that could have been due to discontinuation syndrome, ie withdraw. I, too, was worried about the rash b'c I am so sensitive, but was told that you will know if you break out. It won't be a little spot, it will be ALL over. That's the reason why it takes so long to get up to the doseage, I'm still worried, but anything has to be better than the pain from my Depression heavy BP


> Hi. For the past 10 years I've been told that I suffer from depression & ADHD as well as an anxiety disorder. I just started seeing a new doc & after filling out some forms, he feels that I'm more appropriately Bipolar. Who figured? Not me. Anyway, he put me on Lamictal (the starter dosage kit thing for 4 weeks)as well as Wellbutrin XR150.
>
> Then, he goes into this long discourse about how occassionallly, rarely, not very often...a rash can occur...and sometimes, even more rarely...it could be fatal. Ok. That like totally freaked me out. After all, I do suffer from an anxiety disorder.
>
> When he saw my apprehension he prescribed Klonopin to ease my anxiety. Yes, for the past 3 days, I've slept well. But I'm so freaked out about getting that "sometimes, rarely, fatal skin rash" that I find myself checking for it all the time. And the MASSIVE headache I've now got, well, I don't know if it's because of the RX or because I'm so anxious.
>
> Yep, I freak out over death causing stuff. All I want to know is...should I REALLY be THAT worried about it?
>
> Thanks a bundle. BWL

 

Re: New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it prodgirl

Posted by bwl on April 17, 2004, at 21:55:54

In reply to Re: New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it, posted by prodgirl on April 17, 2004, at 12:15:03

Thanks for your response. I suppose if enough people tell me that "it'll be ok" I'll begin to believe them. I guess that's part of the whole Bipolar thing. Fear...ugh, I hate it. It's kept me from doing so many things that probably would have been really fun. Nothing crazy, just fun...like "normal" people do. I'm hoping this new med will make me stop having these overwhelming anxiety attacks. They are SO embarassing. Especially when my husband and I are out on the town. We'll see.

Again, thank you.
>
>
> I am just at the last week of the starter pack of Lamictal, but also just tapered off Effexor (the EVIL E). Yes, I had headaches, but that could have been due to discontinuation syndrome, ie withdraw. I, too, was worried about the rash b'c I am so sensitive, but was told that you will know if you break out. It won't be a little spot, it will be ALL over. That's the reason why it takes so long to get up to the doseage, I'm still worried, but anything has to be better than the pain from my Depression heavy BP
>
>
> > Hi. For the past 10 years I've been told that I suffer from depression & ADHD as well as an anxiety disorder. I just started seeing a new doc & after filling out some forms, he feels that I'm more appropriately Bipolar. Who figured? Not me. Anyway, he put me on Lamictal (the starter dosage kit thing for 4 weeks)as well as Wellbutrin XR150.
> >
> > Then, he goes into this long discourse about how occassionallly, rarely, not very often...a rash can occur...and sometimes, even more rarely...it could be fatal. Ok. That like totally freaked me out. After all, I do suffer from an anxiety disorder.
> >
> > When he saw my apprehension he prescribed Klonopin to ease my anxiety. Yes, for the past 3 days, I've slept well. But I'm so freaked out about getting that "sometimes, rarely, fatal skin rash" that I find myself checking for it all the time. And the MASSIVE headache I've now got, well, I don't know if it's because of the RX or because I'm so anxious.
> >
> > Yep, I freak out over death causing stuff. All I want to know is...should I REALLY be THAT worried about it?
> >
> > Thanks a bundle. BWL
>
>

 

Re: New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it BWL

Posted by Viridis on April 18, 2004, at 22:34:47

In reply to New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it, posted by BWL on April 16, 2004, at 18:00:45

The incidence of rash is VERY low, and it's most likely to occur in children. Apparently, most of the problems arose with early use of this drug, when dosages were increased much more rapidly than they are now. My pdoc did the standard taper up, and said that any sign of rash or skin irritation should be checked by a dermatologist immediately. I had no problems with Lamictal, nor have any of my pdoc's other patients.

My understanding (and this is NOT a medical opinion, just my impression from what I've read) is that Stevens-Johnson syndrome (the disorder that the rash signals) can be reversed if the rash is caught early. In any case, the incidence of serious skin problems with Lamictal is around 1/4,000 adults. I don't know the numbers for serious penicillin reactions, but I suspect they're quite a bit higher. So, all in all this is a very safe med. But if you do have any weird skin things, then do see a doctor/dermatologist right away.

Good luck!

 

Darn it! I got a Lamictal rash! UGH!

Posted by bwl on April 23, 2004, at 17:42:45

In reply to Re: New to Lamictal a bit nervous about it BWL, posted by Viridis on April 18, 2004, at 22:34:47

Darn it! Today, after 10 days I noticed an iddy-biddy rash on my wrist! Oh well. My doc says not to worry...he called in some kind of something to do something to make the rash go away or something like that...hehehe (don't I sound informed!)

I was worried, but he's pretty sure I'll be okie dokie. Of course, he told me to make sure and take my Klonopin (maybe even an extra one, too) because I could actually give myself a rash from my nerves...now that probably would REALLY freak me out!

He told me to watch out for a fever, cough, or "odd sensation when urninating". Well, of course, I suddenly had to go potty...then I coughed and I felt really hot. (I don't know, but I think I might be a little bit weird! hahaha)

But miraculously I wasn't running a fever, I stopped coughing and all was well in the restroom. HMMM, I guess I'll just try to chill out and keep my fingers crossed!

 

Re: Darn it! I got a Lamictal rash! UGH! bwl

Posted by BarbaraCat on April 24, 2004, at 21:11:15

In reply to Darn it! I got a Lamictal rash! UGH!, posted by bwl on April 23, 2004, at 17:42:45

This isn't something to yuck it up about, my friend. This is not something to just keep your fingers crossed about. I came down with Stevens Johnson Syndrome and believe me, it's serious stuff. I didn't get it from Lamictal per se because I'd been off it for 3 months, but I believe that Lam created an inflammatory condition that sensitized me to other drugs. When I was taking Lamictal I started getting very itchy and my skin felt very weird. I never got the rash because at that point I realized something was amiss and began to titrate myself off it, stopping completely. A few months later under treatment with a naturopath, I took DMPS to chelate mercury. DMPS can also cause 'the rash' and I was one of the rare percentage that got it. It started with a slight rash which progressed into a full body rash, blisters on my lips, down my throat, in my vagina, anus, ear canals. I was bleeding from every orifice. I spent a night in the hospital and 2 weeks in bed. Luckily I stopped the medication early enough and the rash did not progress to its later stage. Four weeks later and I am still wiped out. From now on I will be very cautious about anything I put into my body.

Take this very seriously and start finding out everything you can about it. Do some web searches on erythema multiform and Stevens Johnson Syndrome. It will scare the daylights out of you. If you've come down with even a slight rash, take action. Do not leave this up to your doctor who may not be familiar enough with it. A 'slight rash' is serious. This medication has caused an inflammatory reaction in you. If it progresses it can kill you. Your body is telling you something.

 

Thanks for the major panic attack.

Posted by bwl on April 26, 2004, at 22:58:38

In reply to Re: Darn it! I got a Lamictal rash! UGH! bwl, posted by BarbaraCat on April 24, 2004, at 21:11:15

I just wanted to thank you for absolutely terrifying me. By the way I wasn't "yucking it up" in my recent discourse. Of course I know that there can be long term side effects from the rash I got. I'm not stupid. However, your overly graphic information really did nothing more than to cause me to have a major panic attack. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you and I can only pray to God that it does not happen to me. The thought of something so horrid happening because I wanted to be a happy person as opposed to a weak, timid person terrified of leaving behind those she adore or causing them any stress is all I wanted to do. Now, thanks to your uplifting words, I'm sure I'll have such pleasant dreams. By the way, have you ever thought that maybe I was "yucking it up" because I was scared? Next time, think before you type...support is so much better than terror.

 

Re: Thanks for the major panic attack. bwl

Posted by Flipsactown on April 26, 2004, at 23:53:28

In reply to Thanks for the major panic attack., posted by bwl on April 26, 2004, at 22:58:38

I survived Lamictal without incident. Unfortunately, although it seemed to work quickly in helping lift my unipolar depression, I decided to discontinue the combo I had been taking which included Lamictal after 4 months because I was not getting the sustained depression relief I was looking for. I am currently taking only Nardil and after only 3 weeks, I seem to be getting less and less depressed. I will know for sure in another 3 to 4 weeks if Nardil will work out for me. Good luck with the Lamictal as many who have taken it have had good results and of course, others who have not.

FST


> I just wanted to thank you for absolutely terrifying me. By the way I wasn't "yucking it up" in my recent discourse. Of course I know that there can be long term side effects from the rash I got. I'm not stupid. However, your overly graphic information really did nothing more than to cause me to have a major panic attack. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you and I can only pray to God that it does not happen to me. The thought of something so horrid happening because I wanted to be a happy person as opposed to a weak, timid person terrified of leaving behind those she adore or causing them any stress is all I wanted to do. Now, thanks to your uplifting words, I'm sure I'll have such pleasant dreams. By the way, have you ever thought that maybe I was "yucking it up" because I was scared? Next time, think before you type...support is so much better than terror.

 

Re: Thanks for the major panic attack.

Posted by T_R_D on April 27, 2004, at 10:44:01

In reply to Thanks for the major panic attack., posted by bwl on April 26, 2004, at 22:58:38

Hey bwl, for what it's worth, S-J syndrome is extremely rare. I've also learned that A rash is not the same as THE rash. What you're looking for in terms of severity is the combination of rash, itchiness and fever. Fever is the most important component as anticonvulsants in general can make you more sensitve and susceptible to rashes in general. If those three things occur in combination get thee to an emergency room--pronto. If treated quickly, I *believe* that your chances of not developing full blown S-J syndrome are drastically reduced.

I've been through this process very recently--although not in the exact same way. Imagine my surprise when two weekends ago I woke up with this terrible, itchy red rash ALL OVER MY ENTIRE BODY! Man, did I cry. The Lamictal was working SO well and I was already paranoid enough about THE RASH. Since it was on a weekend I couldn't get to see my regular doctor. I immediately discontinued the Lamictal and went to a walk-in clinic (where the GP on duty didn't even know the drug Lamictal at all! Ignorant old goat!) Anyway, I totally megadosed on Benadryl to try and get things under control. I thought I was going to go insane from the itchiness.

So cut to Monday when I go see my doc. I was chilled but not feverish, had a sore throat and small mouth ulcers/canker sores. All of these things are rare but possible side effects of Lamictal and I'm just that much of a freak that I've gotten really rare sides to other meds in my past.

Imagine my surprise when my doc told me it was a VIRAL RASH! I was tickled pink (literally--haha) but still kind of scared to go back on the Lamictal. He said start it right back up and that would for sure tell us what was going on.

Well, a week and half later I'm like new.

So the moral of the story is, what can appear to be the worst news may not actually be that serious in the first place.

Take care and relax. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Karen

 

Re: Thanks for the major panic attack. bwl

Posted by katia on April 28, 2004, at 15:02:24

In reply to Thanks for the major panic attack., posted by bwl on April 26, 2004, at 22:58:38

> I just wanted to thank you for absolutely terrifying me. By the way I wasn't "yucking it up" in my recent discourse. Of course I know that there can be long term side effects from the rash I got. I'm not stupid. However, your overly graphic information really did nothing more than to cause me to have a major panic attack. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you and I can only pray to God that it does not happen to me. The thought of something so horrid happening because I wanted to be a happy person as opposed to a weak, timid person terrified of leaving behind those she adore or causing them any stress is all I wanted to do. Now, thanks to your uplifting words, I'm sure I'll have such pleasant dreams. By the way, have you ever thought that maybe I was "yucking it up" because I was scared? Next time, think before you type...support is so much better than terror.


You know, she was only trying to support you and help you. I guess that's the thanks she gets. It IS a serious thing; and your body IS having a reaction to it whether it leads to something like SJS or not, you should stop it for now. You could always restart it later.

 

Re: Thanks for the major panic attack. bwl

Posted by BarbaraCat on April 29, 2004, at 16:07:21

In reply to Thanks for the major panic attack., posted by bwl on April 26, 2004, at 22:58:38

Giving you a major panic attack and bad dreams was not my intention and for that I apologise. You certainly don't need the extra stress. Getting your undivided attention, however, was my intention and it seems it was successful.

About not supporting you. I could easily have thought 'oh my God, she's actually got a rash! Oh well, no one wants to hear anything negative about something they feel might be helping and everyone has their path to follow and she doesn't seem too concerned, and besides it'll probably just go away. I don't want to alarm anyone or have them not like me! Anyhow, I would prefer to not bother because I'm still feeling pretty rocky from almost dying from it....' But I sensed your concern and felt conveying my alarm was more important than my normal concern for diplomatic politeness. The truth is, very few medical practitioners know what the heck this thing is about, who gets it, why we get it, or what to do about it!

My advice is that a med rash is an allergic symptom that if ignored, CAN lead to Stevens Johnson Syndrome. It's a progressive reaction that can be halted if the offending allergic agent is stopped early enough. I did not stop taking my med early enough, and I got a mild, but very debilitating case of it. It did not have to occur had I been more informed.

Thanks to my brutally honest advice, you will be probably be paying close attention to any future itchiness or rashes or adverse reactions - as you well should be. Putting a cream on an allergic med reaction is like covering up a blinking oil light on your car. Most people don't like to think about these things until it happens to them. I sure don't have the energy to get up on a soap box about my experience, and your reaction proves that nobody really wants or hears information that's disturbing.

One more bit of well meaning advice. If you read over your original post I think you'll see that your tone conveyed a rather lighthearted breezy and cryptic manner. Most of us here are depressed and brain-fogged and can relate to being scared, so a clear request is appreciated. All the best to you. Barbara

ps - Thanks Katia for your words of support.


> I just wanted to thank you for absolutely terrifying me. By the way I wasn't "yucking it up" in my recent discourse. Of course I know that there can be long term side effects from the rash I got. I'm not stupid. However, your overly graphic information really did nothing more than to cause me to have a major panic attack. I am terribly sorry about what happened to you and I can only pray to God that it does not happen to me. The thought of something so horrid happening because I wanted to be a happy person as opposed to a weak, timid person terrified of leaving behind those she adore or causing them any stress is all I wanted to do. Now, thanks to your uplifting words, I'm sure I'll have such pleasant dreams. By the way, have you ever thought that maybe I was "yucking it up" because I was scared? Next time, think before you type...support is so much better than terror.

 

Thanks for your support! BarbaraCat

Posted by katia on April 29, 2004, at 17:18:27

In reply to Re: Thanks for the major panic attack. bwl, posted by BarbaraCat on April 29, 2004, at 16:07:21

Hi Barbara,
Well said. You've been through enough already! And you're just extending your time to try and support someone! Geezzzz. Glad to hear you're back with PB boards anyway. I was worried that made you through w/ this board altogether.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Are you still on limited meds? How're you doing?

I had to go off of Lamictal b/c it made me racy and irritable - highly agitated. I've been off only two days and feel much calmer. I'm definitely on the down side with quite a bit flare-ups of anxiety. I saw my pdoc on Monday and he gave me Paxil to add to trileptal; but I haven't taken it yet. I'm worried about it. I am very sensitive to that serotonin thing (electrical zaps) and paxil is a culprit. I had it on Effexor and Zoloft; not sure I want to do that to myself again.
Keep in touch.
Big hug,
Katia

 

Re: Thanks for your support! katia

Posted by BarbaraCat on May 4, 2004, at 16:05:59

In reply to Thanks for your support! BarbaraCat, posted by katia on April 29, 2004, at 17:18:27

Hi Katia,
Nope, I'm still around but not posting as much. I miss the contact but it takes alot of time, plus my laptop got zapped and I haven't fixed it yet so I have to snag time on my husband's computer.

I'm doing pretty well, definitely improving physically. I wish life felt more fulfilling, but that may come as I start having more physical vitality. I think life is supposed to be more than just trudging along dodging moods and pitfalls, else what are we doing here and why aren't we learning the lessons better? During the winter when I was in vision-land much of the time it was definitely exciting and amazing, but existing at that high intensity is so draining. These days I'm just working on being content with what's going on in the moment and thankful things are relatively calmed down. I've developed a high tolerance for discomfort, but would like a bit more fun. I've been pretty isolated and probably need to get out more and get engaged with life. But it all looks pretty nutty out there, so hard to get around, to make the time, and I don't have the desire to deal with the crazyness. Nobody seems very happy, but maybe that's just my opinion. I'm playing piano more and that's been very wonderful. I definitely need more exercise but that will come with the better weather. A good foundation of physical health and energy seems to be the key.

Speaking of getting out and having 'fun' - I went to a big family gathering thingy on my husband's side this past weekend. With all my bum physical challenges recently, I did pretty well considering. BUT... at some point during the evening when everyone was pouring drinks, I managed to get myself blitzed. I have no memory of most of the evening except hearing very embarassing reports. My husband said I was extremely obnoxious and I heard some excrutiating things from others. Things I might THINK but never have the obnoxiousness to actually say in person. It's like this other personality emerges and has her own agenda, and boy, is she PISSED! She'e one mean cookie who wants to take total control and tells everyone what's on her mind using very bad potty mouth. I have absolutely no recall. I made the rounds the next day, apologizing to anyone I could round up. I'm not concerned with this lapse because it's pretty rare these days. But it sure does remind me why I don't imbibe like I used to. I felt crappy the next few days too. Depressed and tired and rather ashamed, and I don't have much memory of even the fun parts!

However, now that my mood has once again improved I'm amused that 'she' or 'it' has the brass balls to say things like 'go f**ck yourself, I can't stand you, you ugly complaining bitch' (oh yes, I did say that to one of his cousins). I love the self-assurance and charisma that comes out, but not the mean streak.

Sorry the Lamictal didn't work out for you, but I'm not surprised. It was the great white hope of meds for awhile, wasn't it? Everytime something new comes out we get our hopes way up and then it's the usual, at least for me. I'm so leary of these meds anymore, Katia, now that I've had my scare. We're so desperate to try anything to feel better. It's not fair that there isn't something safe that provides big time relief. And the alcohol thing is really not fair!

I still take Ambien to sleep and every now and then gabapentin or ativan if I'm having a stressful day. But the other meds are gone, forever I hope. It was very rough for a few months, as you know, but I had so many other physcial and emotional stresses going on anyway. I'm amazed I chose that time to chuck the meds. Maybe things in general wouldn't have been so traumatic if I weren't coming off years and years of psych meds, but I survived and am REALLY glad I stuck with my resolve to stop. I still have depressed days, go through some wacky manic spurts and now and then get really disorganized which makes me suspect that ADD has always been a big contributor (but no pstims for me). But my clarity and trust that this too shall pass has gotten better. The bad times are definitely not as weird as when I was taking meds and my body doesn't have the burden of metabolizing them. I believe I can honestly say that when I am in a place of peace and contentment, it just feels better.

About Paxil. Hmmmmmm... Big, big hmmmmmmm... I don't want to interfere where you might be helped, but we know each other well enough by now, my friend, so I'm gonna say it. I had a very rough time getting off Paxil and even worse with Effexor. They didn't help my symptoms at all and my pdoc kept doubling the dose because I kept feeling worse (I took them at different times, I took each alone and with other drugs). I now know that the SSRI's aren't good for me, and you suspect they aren't for you either and you want to definitely trust that. There are so many 'new' ones that work on other than just serotonin, so you can never say what is going to help. The only one that seemed to be a great one for me was nortriptyline as far as helping out of a really bad time, but I hated the side effects. My mouth was so dry I made smacking noises when I talked. Nor did I welcome any more constipation.

You take good care, sweetie. We all know how good it feels once we force ourselves out in the sunshine and spring weather. So put on those little walking shoes and beat cheeks, then find a babbling brook and a nice big tree to lean up against. Maybe you can zap that anxiety and hold off taking the Paxil for one more day.

Luvs, Barbara

>
> Glad to hear you're doing better. Are you still on limited meds? How're you doing?
>
> I had to go off of Lamictal b/c it made me racy and irritable - highly agitated. I've been off only two days and feel much calmer. I'm definitely on the down side with quite a bit flare-ups of anxiety. I saw my pdoc on Monday and he gave me Paxil to add to trileptal; but I haven't taken it yet. I'm worried about it. I am very sensitive to that serotonin thing (electrical zaps) and paxil is a culprit. I had it on Effexor and Zoloft; not sure I want to do that to myself again.

 

Re: Rate Lamictal as stabilizer

Posted by caps on July 3, 2006, at 6:08:11

In reply to Re: Rate Lamictal as stabilizer (nm), posted by caps on July 2, 2006, at 22:28:54

I took lamictal and Depakote ER for 3 years. I gained 65 lbs. I just 2 months ago was switched to lithium and lamictal, had blood work, and now have hypothyroidism. I don't have a dr. appointment until July 18th. to get off the lithium. I don't believe the lithium to be the cause of my hypothyroidism because I haven't taken it long enough, but am aware that I need to be taken off that drug. I researched lithium/thyroidism and found that the only cause for hypothyroidism may be weight gain. Depakote ER caused rapid weight gain for me. Maybe there is a connection there. I've been taking lamictal for about 4 years. I did have a rash on my arm about 3 months ago. I didn't connect it to the lamictal, so didn't tell my dr. The rash went away on it's own. I also experienced total body itching at that time.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.