Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 50878

Shown: posts 337 to 361 of 1085. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats

Posted by galkeepinon on July 6, 2003, at 23:41:33

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole, posted by LBcats on July 6, 2003, at 20:10:43

Hi LBcats, May I ask how much weight you think you lost that was attributed to Topamax? I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and have lost about 24 Pounds. Last night I went out to dinner-was craving food-kinda hungry-I ordered a lot and once I started eating-BAM I was full-the food almost made me vomit-my point is-is that my appetite has slowly been returning so I hear you here in your post when you say that your appetite does come back. I thought my appetite would be gone forever while on Topamax. I've been on every med you can think of too and I'm also bipolar. What is your dosage on the Topamax? You also mentioned that you had tingling in your feet, loss of memory, disorientation, but it all came back? Do you remember how long those side effects lasted? I've gotten the same ones. In the beginning of my treatment I also got very tired but that has gone away for the most part. This med has given me the feeling not so much of a "I don't care about anything" attitude, but more of a "I can handle life" attitude, is it this way with you in a way?

Would love to hear.
Thank you so much,
Gal



> Please give Topomax some time. It takes a Little bit more than 2-3 weeks to work, especially to lose weight. I think it works for most people in terms of weight loss. I know it doesn't work for all, but for most it does. The best thing is that it probably won't hurt to try it. It does have some side effects that at first are uncomfortable but they go away after awhile. I had tingling in my feet, loss of memory, disorientation, but it all comes back. The loss of appetite lasts a long time and even when your appetite comes back you've learned to eat better and you crave different foods. I now crave healthier foods and want to eat better. I'm also not hungry all the time. I don't seem to gain weight easily either. I'm not losing anymore but I haven't gained either. I feel great. If you have any questions, ask away. I was on depakote before and I've been on every medication you can think of. I am bipolar.
> Linda

 

Re: what dose were you at that you lost -Gal.. Gabbix2

Posted by galkeepinon on July 6, 2003, at 23:49:39

In reply to Re: what dose were you at that you lost -Gal.. Nycole, posted by Gabbix2 on July 6, 2003, at 19:43:54

Hi Gabbix, it was kind of like that with me also-it wasn't until maybe the 150mg range until I really really noticed the weight loss. It's interesting you take 150 at night and 50 in the late afternoon. What is the reasoning behind that???
Really???? The plans to market Topamax as a weight loss drug were stopped? I didn't know that. I get the tingling of the feet bad-it is so damn annoying LOL-funny sometimes but still annoying. I guess that side effect is a heck of a lot easier than gaining weight by far!!!!!
YES!!!the weight loss right now is more important than anything to me also but the mood stabililzation is right up there with it too, really. The extra weight just devastated me too. Seroquel really packed on the pounds for me. I think between stopping that med and starting the Topamax, those are the reasons I've lost weight-because I haven't exercised in a while-so it certainly isn't that.
Hope to hear back,
Gal


> If you've started the Topamax at a relatively low dose, which is likely, don't panic,
> It wasn't until I reached the 150 range that I started losing all the weight, and for most people its higher than that. Now that I've been at 200 for about a month I notice a weekly drop.
> For instance some jeans I couldn't wear last week
> to the day, I could wear yesterday..
> So don't give up!
>
> Galkeepinon I take most of mine at night, cause it makes me so sleepy, I take, 50 mgs in the late afternoon and 150 right before bed.
>
> The plans to market it as a weight loss drug
> were stopped because their were too many side effects. Not really health side effects though,
> the tingling of the feet, which I get sometimes,
> and the "stupids" which I still get in waves, but definitely less than I did.
>
> Still the weight loss right now is more important than anything. The extra weight just devastated me after everything else you know, it was like
> one more godd*** thing. I'm sure you understand
>

 

Re: what dose were you at that you lost 20 lbs.?

Posted by Nycole on July 7, 2003, at 0:29:23

In reply to Re: what dose were you at that you lost 20 lbs.? Nycole, posted by galkeepinon on July 6, 2003, at 22:18:39

Gal....

As far as I can tell, I didn't have weight gain from the Effexor, only the Depokote. I have never had any side effects from the Effexor, well only good ones. I think it is a very good depression and anxiety medication. I am on such a high dose because I have been on it for almost 3 years now. If your doctor wants you to go to a higher dose, I would say that would be a good decision because it really works great. Thanks for your help and encouragement and I wish you the same luck! I'll keep checking back for updates!
Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by LBcats on July 7, 2003, at 20:08:29

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats, posted by galkeepinon on July 6, 2003, at 23:41:33

Hi Gal,
I'm on 200 mg of Topomax. 100 in the morning and 100 at bedtime. I told you my appetite is back but it's funny I just said that because I spend a week with my sister and she told me I don't eat a thing. So do most people, so I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought. I'm like you, when I go to a restaurant, I order all this stuff and then I'm full right away. Everyone asks me why I didn't eat and the truth is I'm full. I'm at a standstill with my weight right now at 20 lbs less than what I weight before. I love it. I'm at a great size and I love the way I feel with topomax. I don't have a no care attitude although sometimes I do have an "all fun" attitude and sometimes that's not healthy for me. Most people get tired with it. I don't I get the opposite. During the day, I get energy. I think it is supposed to slow me down a bit. How much to you take and when do you take it? How does it make you feel? Sleepy, or happy or energetic? Let me know more. Before this I was on deepakote. Topomax is much better. The side effects for me lasted a good 2 months but now I now my patience was worth it.
Linda

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????LBcats

Posted by KRM123 on July 7, 2003, at 21:49:21

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by LBcats on July 7, 2003, at 20:08:29

Hi LB,

I am currently taking 50mg of Zoloft and 150mg of Wellbutrin. The Zoloft has worked great in the past but caused weight gain...I tried other SSRI's but they all make me gain so I went back to Zoloft and added the Well to help control my cravings. I've only been on the Well a week but it is causing a lot of anxiety and I feel sedated most of the day. I am not bi polar- I was first diagnosed with dysthymia but then with major depresssion. Have you heard of Topamax working with Zoloft? Is it a safe drug? I am afraid of long term effects from these drugs. I need something to help control my weight and I won't beat the depression until I feel good about my body. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole

Posted by KRM123 on July 7, 2003, at 22:05:52

In reply to Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by Nycole on July 6, 2003, at 13:40:49

Nycole- did you stick it out with the Topamax? I suffer from depression and currently take Zoloft and Wellbutrin. The Well is just to maintain my weight cause I go out of control with eating when I take the SSRI's but they work for my depression! Tell me how you are. THanks

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats

Posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:21:27

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by LBcats on July 7, 2003, at 20:08:29

Hi Linda, that's right you're on the same dosage as I am of Topamax. Same time too. Well, I just went to the grocerystore: rice pudding, shortbread cookies, ice cream, Propel water, (like you want to hear my shopping list hehe) my point: I got home and I'm not even hungry-going through the isles made me ill-I'm just not hungry!!! LOL My brother is like wow-your appetite just ain't what it used to be-I'm like yay people are noticing-but better yet I've lost 2 sizes in my jeans. It's funny because I'm at a standstill too at about 22 Lbs now with the weight loss-I just keep drinking the water and mostly eat salads and turkey slices-the good stuff just appeals to me more. Poor Dreyers isn't going to be getting my business much longer LOL
I get energy during the day too and I have to be careful of the mania because I always have to make sure I don't have a fall into a depression afterward. A fine line......
Now that I've been on Topamax for a little over 2 months it really more or less makes me neither energetic or sleepy. At first it made me sleep like crazy. It has helped my depression and it's not even an AD. That is what amazes me. And that's why I'm wondering if I even need this Effexor.
OMG yes, I was on Depakote-no way not for me. you know that drill-I bet.
You sound so much like me-exactly-my patience was worth it too-so, so, so, so worth it!
Crossing my fingers, hoping, and praying that Topamax works for a good long time, and if my doc has to up the dose-so be it-I feel pretty good on it and I have faith in Topamax, hope you do too.

Gal

> Hi Gal,
> I'm on 200 mg of Topomax. 100 in the morning and 100 at bedtime. I told you my appetite is back but it's funny I just said that because I spend a week with my sister and she told me I don't eat a thing. So do most people, so I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought. I'm like you, when I go to a restaurant, I order all this stuff and then I'm full right away. Everyone asks me why I didn't eat and the truth is I'm full. I'm at a standstill with my weight right now at 20 lbs less than what I weight before. I love it. I'm at a great size and I love the way I feel with topomax. I don't have a no care attitude although sometimes I do have an "all fun" attitude and sometimes that's not healthy for me. Most people get tired with it. I don't I get the opposite. During the day, I get energy. I think it is supposed to slow me down a bit. How much to you take and when do you take it? How does it make you feel? Sleepy, or happy or energetic? Let me know more. Before this I was on deepakote. Topomax is much better. The side effects for me lasted a good 2 months but now I now my patience was worth it.
> Linda

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole

Posted by Nycole on July 8, 2003, at 0:26:26

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole, posted by KRM123 on July 7, 2003, at 22:05:52

Yes, I am sticking it out with the Topamax. I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks now. For the past couple days I am finally seeing the light with it because it is really starting to help my depression a lot. I also take Effexor, but I needed something else to help boost it because my depression has been so bad the past couple months and I gained so much weight from other meds. I am still waiting for the weight loss effects and praying they will come soon because I need them so very much. The weight gain with the depression is such a vicious cycle. My advice to you is to definitely stick it out on the Topamax! You will see great results for your depression :)
Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole Nycole

Posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:31:40

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole, posted by Nycole on July 8, 2003, at 0:26:26

hey my topamax buddy Nycole LOL How are you?? I'm posting to you because I know how much you want Topamax to help your weight and I'm a rooting for you!
I was just saying in another post to someone that I was amazed how Topamax isn't even an AD and it is helping my depression and BAM your last line here was "You will see great results for your depression :)"
Hang in there with the weight loss effect-I bet you'll start to see it anytime now-I'll bet on it;)
I'm hopin for ya!!!

Gal


> Yes, I am sticking it out with the Topamax. I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks now. For the past couple days I am finally seeing the light with it because it is really starting to help my depression a lot. I also take Effexor, but I needed something else to help boost it because my depression has been so bad the past couple months and I gained so much weight from other meds. I am still waiting for the weight loss effects and praying they will come soon because I need them so very much. The weight gain with the depression is such a vicious cycle. My advice to you is to definitely stick it out on the Topamax! You will see great results for your depression :)
> Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole

Posted by Nycole on July 8, 2003, at 0:34:46

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole Nycole, posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:31:40

Thank you so much Gal....You are really keepin me going here, girl!! Thanks for the support! I really appreciate it!! I have my fingers crossed!

 

Anytime Nycole-and you hang in there:) (nm) Nycole

Posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:35:45

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole, posted by Nycole on July 8, 2003, at 0:34:46

 

oops and please keep us posted of course! (nm)

Posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:36:45

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole, posted by Nycole on July 8, 2003, at 0:34:46

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????LBcats

Posted by LBcats on July 9, 2003, at 18:58:03

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????LBcats, posted by KRM123 on July 7, 2003, at 21:49:21

I've not heard of any long term effects of Topomax. To me the most important thing is that if they make me feel better that is what is important. I have been totally in the dumps and that I do not wish on anybody. Topamax has brought me joy and has brought me weight loss. Like I said before, it did initially bring me side effects like memory loss, disorientation, tingling of legs and feet, but that went away after about 8 - 10 weeks. The weight loss has stayed off and I feel wonderful. The fact that I feel great outweights any risks if there were any, but there are none. None more than there are with any other drug like zoloft or wellbutrin or any other ssri and most of those drugs make you gain weight. give it a try. good luck
Linda

> Hi LB,
>
> I am currently taking 50mg of Zoloft and 150mg of Wellbutrin. The Zoloft has worked great in the past but caused weight gain...I tried other SSRI's but they all make me gain so I went back to Zoloft and added the Well to help control my cravings. I've only been on the Well a week but it is causing a lot of anxiety and I feel sedated most of the day. I am not bi polar- I was first diagnosed with dysthymia but then with major depresssion. Have you heard of Topamax working with Zoloft? Is it a safe drug? I am afraid of long term effects from these drugs. I need something to help control my weight and I won't beat the depression until I feel good about my body. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by LBcats on July 9, 2003, at 19:15:07

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats, posted by galkeepinon on July 8, 2003, at 0:21:27

>Hi Gal,
I lost 2 sizes in pants as well. I am however, still on a small dose of depakote. I will be taken off of that hopefully next time I go see my doc. She wanted to keep me on it one more month to make sure I didn't go manic because I had pretty serious mania streaks. So far so good. She had to wean me off the depakote very slowly. I mean slowly. Anyway, I hoping that I may continue more weight loss once she completely takes me off the depakote cause it may be that it still is causing me to keep weight on. I am not at my ideal weight but I really do feel wonderful. Who wouldn't with 20lbs less. It is amazing how you and I are taking about the same meds. How much effexor do you take? I take 300mg in the morning. I have been diagnosed as bipolar and have experienced pretty serious depression in the passed.
I have been hospitalized twice.
But I feel like a different person with topomax and effexor together. Let me know more about you
Linda
Hi Linda, that's right you're on the same dosage as I am of Topamax. Same time too. Well, I just went to the grocerystore: rice pudding, shortbread cookies, ice cream, Propel water, (like you want to hear my shopping list hehe) my point: I got home and I'm not even hungry-going through the isles made me ill-I'm just not hungry!!! LOL My brother is like wow-your appetite just ain't what it used to be-I'm like yay people are noticing-but better yet I've lost 2 sizes in my jeans. It's funny because I'm at a standstill too at about 22 Lbs now with the weight loss-I just keep drinking the water and mostly eat salads and turkey slices-the good stuff just appeals to me more. Poor Dreyers isn't going to be getting my business much longer LOL
> I get energy during the day too and I have to be careful of the mania because I always have to make sure I don't have a fall into a depression afterward. A fine line......
> Now that I've been on Topamax for a little over 2 months it really more or less makes me neither energetic or sleepy. At first it made me sleep like crazy. It has helped my depression and it's not even an AD. That is what amazes me. And that's why I'm wondering if I even need this Effexor.
> OMG yes, I was on Depakote-no way not for me. you know that drill-I bet.
> You sound so much like me-exactly-my patience was worth it too-so, so, so, so worth it!
> Crossing my fingers, hoping, and praying that Topamax works for a good long time, and if my doc has to up the dose-so be it-I feel pretty good on it and I have faith in Topamax, hope you do too.
>
> Gal
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi Gal,
> > I'm on 200 mg of Topomax. 100 in the morning and 100 at bedtime. I told you my appetite is back but it's funny I just said that because I spend a week with my sister and she told me I don't eat a thing. So do most people, so I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought. I'm like you, when I go to a restaurant, I order all this stuff and then I'm full right away. Everyone asks me why I didn't eat and the truth is I'm full. I'm at a standstill with my weight right now at 20 lbs less than what I weight before. I love it. I'm at a great size and I love the way I feel with topomax. I don't have a no care attitude although sometimes I do have an "all fun" attitude and sometimes that's not healthy for me. Most people get tired with it. I don't I get the opposite. During the day, I get energy. I think it is supposed to slow me down a bit. How much to you take and when do you take it? How does it make you feel? Sleepy, or happy or energetic? Let me know more. Before this I was on deepakote. Topomax is much better. The side effects for me lasted a good 2 months but now I now my patience was worth it.
> > Linda
>
>

 

Why I quit topamax

Posted by FranzLiszt on July 10, 2003, at 6:00:50

In reply to Topamax Experiences?, posted by Kingfish on January 4, 2001, at 7:29:48

I started topamax a few months ago, but within 3 weeks I stopped taking it. It was awful. The headaches were unstoppable. I also missed work twice because of the severe mood swings during the first week. My boss was understanding though. I honestly almost died during my first mood swing, it sent me into a kind of suicidal rage. Luckily I was at the music conservatory when it happened and my teacher was able to talk me down.

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats

Posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 0:14:41

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by LBcats on July 9, 2003, at 19:15:07

Hi Linda, I haven't been online for a few days, feelin a little down, but better tonight. Hope you are doing well. Good for you!!! You lost 2 sizes too-wonderful. Feels good doesn't it? I still have a few I need to lose for sure. I went back to taking 100mg of the Topamax a few days ago and it was a mistake, so I started back at 200 mg a day again yesterday. I'm famous for playing with my meds (bad girl) LOL
You sound like you have a pretty reasonable doctor?
Right now I am taking 75mg of Effexor and hope to increase it next time I see my psychiatrist. I believe I need a higher dose to keep my depression at bay for sure. We do sound alike. I have been hospitalized a few times for major depression and now I'm just trying to get my mood stabilized more. I still get a little depressed sometimes-but I'm working on that. So, you like the combo of Topamax and Effexor? How long have you been on both? Have you had any success with any other meds on the past? Why are you going off the Depakote???

Hope to hear from you soon, if I can be of any help to you let me know.

Gal


> >Hi Gal,
> I lost 2 sizes in pants as well. I am however, still on a small dose of depakote. I will be taken off of that hopefully next time I go see my doc. She wanted to keep me on it one more month to make sure I didn't go manic because I had pretty serious mania streaks. So far so good. She had to wean me off the depakote very slowly. I mean slowly. Anyway, I hoping that I may continue more weight loss once she completely takes me off the depakote cause it may be that it still is causing me to keep weight on. I am not at my ideal weight but I really do feel wonderful. Who wouldn't with 20lbs less. It is amazing how you and I are taking about the same meds. How much effexor do you take? I take 300mg in the morning. I have been diagnosed as bipolar and have experienced pretty serious depression in the passed.
> I have been hospitalized twice.
> But I feel like a different person with topomax and effexor together. Let me know more about you
> Linda
> Hi Linda, that's right you're on the same dosage as I am of Topamax. Same time too. Well, I just went to the grocerystore: rice pudding, shortbread cookies, ice cream, Propel water, (like you want to hear my shopping list hehe) my point: I got home and I'm not even hungry-going through the isles made me ill-I'm just not hungry!!! LOL My brother is like wow-your appetite just ain't what it used to be-I'm like yay people are noticing-but better yet I've lost 2 sizes in my jeans. It's funny because I'm at a standstill too at about 22 Lbs now with the weight loss-I just keep drinking the water and mostly eat salads and turkey slices-the good stuff just appeals to me more. Poor Dreyers isn't going to be getting my business much longer LOL
> > I get energy during the day too and I have to be careful of the mania because I always have to make sure I don't have a fall into a depression afterward. A fine line......
> > Now that I've been on Topamax for a little over 2 months it really more or less makes me neither energetic or sleepy. At first it made me sleep like crazy. It has helped my depression and it's not even an AD. That is what amazes me. And that's why I'm wondering if I even need this Effexor.
> > OMG yes, I was on Depakote-no way not for me. you know that drill-I bet.
> > You sound so much like me-exactly-my patience was worth it too-so, so, so, so worth it!
> > Crossing my fingers, hoping, and praying that Topamax works for a good long time, and if my doc has to up the dose-so be it-I feel pretty good on it and I have faith in Topamax, hope you do too.
> >
> > Gal
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Hi Gal,
> > > I'm on 200 mg of Topomax. 100 in the morning and 100 at bedtime. I told you my appetite is back but it's funny I just said that because I spend a week with my sister and she told me I don't eat a thing. So do most people, so I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought. I'm like you, when I go to a restaurant, I order all this stuff and then I'm full right away. Everyone asks me why I didn't eat and the truth is I'm full. I'm at a standstill with my weight right now at 20 lbs less than what I weight before. I love it. I'm at a great size and I love the way I feel with topomax. I don't have a no care attitude although sometimes I do have an "all fun" attitude and sometimes that's not healthy for me. Most people get tired with it. I don't I get the opposite. During the day, I get energy. I think it is supposed to slow me down a bit. How much to you take and when do you take it? How does it make you feel? Sleepy, or happy or energetic? Let me know more. Before this I was on deepakote. Topomax is much better. The side effects for me lasted a good 2 months but now I now my patience was worth it.
> > > Linda
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by LBcats on July 11, 2003, at 7:12:05

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats, posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 0:14:41

> Hi Gal,
I've been known to mess with my meds too. So don't knock yourself over that. It's just part of what we do. I want to get off the depakote because it think it keeps me from losing more weight. At least that how I rationalize it. I really don't need it anymore. It is such a small dose. (250 mg a day)
I've been on many meds because they misdiagnosed me. They thought I was majorly depressed. they finally diagnosed me as bipolar and started getting the meds right. However, it wasn't until my second hospitalization that they got me on effexor and topomax.
I've been on prozac, celexa, zeprexa, serequel, wellbutrin, depakote, zanax and others that I can't remember right now. Most of these stopped working for me.
Well got to go. Tell me more about your meds and what happened with them. later.
Linda

Hi Linda, I haven't been online for a few days, feelin a little down, but better tonight. Hope you are doing well. Good for you!!! You lost 2 sizes too-wonderful. Feels good doesn't it? I still have a few I need to lose for sure. I went back to taking 100mg of the Topamax a few days ago and it was a mistake, so I started back at 200 mg a day again yesterday. I'm famous for playing with my meds (bad girl) LOL
> You sound like you have a pretty reasonable doctor?
> Right now I am taking 75mg of Effexor and hope to increase it next time I see my psychiatrist. I believe I need a higher dose to keep my depression at bay for sure. We do sound alike. I have been hospitalized a few times for major depression and now I'm just trying to get my mood stabilized more. I still get a little depressed sometimes-but I'm working on that. So, you like the combo of Topamax and Effexor? How long have you been on both? Have you had any success with any other meds on the past? Why are you going off the Depakote???
>
> Hope to hear from you soon, if I can be of any help to you let me know.
>
> Gal
>
>
>
>
> > >Hi Gal,
> > I lost 2 sizes in pants as well. I am however, still on a small dose of depakote. I will be taken off of that hopefully next time I go see my doc. She wanted to keep me on it one more month to make sure I didn't go manic because I had pretty serious mania streaks. So far so good. She had to wean me off the depakote very slowly. I mean slowly. Anyway, I hoping that I may continue more weight loss once she completely takes me off the depakote cause it may be that it still is causing me to keep weight on. I am not at my ideal weight but I really do feel wonderful. Who wouldn't with 20lbs less. It is amazing how you and I are taking about the same meds. How much effexor do you take? I take 300mg in the morning. I have been diagnosed as bipolar and have experienced pretty serious depression in the passed.
> > I have been hospitalized twice.
> > But I feel like a different person with topomax and effexor together. Let me know more about you
> > Linda
> > Hi Linda, that's right you're on the same dosage as I am of Topamax. Same time too. Well, I just went to the grocerystore: rice pudding, shortbread cookies, ice cream, Propel water, (like you want to hear my shopping list hehe) my point: I got home and I'm not even hungry-going through the isles made me ill-I'm just not hungry!!! LOL My brother is like wow-your appetite just ain't what it used to be-I'm like yay people are noticing-but better yet I've lost 2 sizes in my jeans. It's funny because I'm at a standstill too at about 22 Lbs now with the weight loss-I just keep drinking the water and mostly eat salads and turkey slices-the good stuff just appeals to me more. Poor Dreyers isn't going to be getting my business much longer LOL
> > > I get energy during the day too and I have to be careful of the mania because I always have to make sure I don't have a fall into a depression afterward. A fine line......
> > > Now that I've been on Topamax for a little over 2 months it really more or less makes me neither energetic or sleepy. At first it made me sleep like crazy. It has helped my depression and it's not even an AD. That is what amazes me. And that's why I'm wondering if I even need this Effexor.
> > > OMG yes, I was on Depakote-no way not for me. you know that drill-I bet.
> > > You sound so much like me-exactly-my patience was worth it too-so, so, so, so worth it!
> > > Crossing my fingers, hoping, and praying that Topamax works for a good long time, and if my doc has to up the dose-so be it-I feel pretty good on it and I have faith in Topamax, hope you do too.
> > >
> > > Gal
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Hi Gal,
> > > > I'm on 200 mg of Topomax. 100 in the morning and 100 at bedtime. I told you my appetite is back but it's funny I just said that because I spend a week with my sister and she told me I don't eat a thing. So do most people, so I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought. I'm like you, when I go to a restaurant, I order all this stuff and then I'm full right away. Everyone asks me why I didn't eat and the truth is I'm full. I'm at a standstill with my weight right now at 20 lbs less than what I weight before. I love it. I'm at a great size and I love the way I feel with topomax. I don't have a no care attitude although sometimes I do have an "all fun" attitude and sometimes that's not healthy for me. Most people get tired with it. I don't I get the opposite. During the day, I get energy. I think it is supposed to slow me down a bit. How much to you take and when do you take it? How does it make you feel? Sleepy, or happy or energetic? Let me know more. Before this I was on deepakote. Topomax is much better. The side effects for me lasted a good 2 months but now I now my patience was worth it.
> > > > Linda
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Topamax Experience me or the med?

Posted by Bubba32 on July 11, 2003, at 11:13:41

In reply to Topamax Experience me or the med?, posted by Bubba32 on July 4, 2003, at 11:29:32

to all those who asked about the dosage I am on 200 mg 100 at night 100 in the morning to date I have lost 50 pounds. Topamax is an appetite suppresant not a miracle weight loss pill. you will still have urges now and then to over indulge but for me I find that come meal time Im not hungry at all or if i do eat it is much less then what i use to eat,I get full alot quicker.

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats

Posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 12:48:25

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by LBcats on July 11, 2003, at 7:12:05

Linda, you sound like me! I went off the Depakote for the same reason but it wasn't helping at all either and I was misdiagnosed too.
My first AD was Prozac-worked well, but gained a lot of weight-stopped working, was on Ananfranil-gained weight-misdiagnosed with OCD, was on Luvox-misdiagnosed, was on Paxil had a bad reaction, was on Zoloft-didn't work, Celexa worked well for a while-great med for me, and tried a whole mess of many more also. I have seemed to find a pretty good combo (crossing fingers) with the Effexor, Topamax, and Klonopin-seems to work pretty good so far. I been through the run of the mill. I'm now concentrating on taking the nutrition path-eating more omega 3 fatty acids, supplements, drinking a lot of water, etc.

Let me know how everything is holding up for you!
Gal


> > Hi Gal,
> I've been known to mess with my meds too. So don't knock yourself over that. It's just part of what we do. I want to get off the depakote because it think it keeps me from losing more weight. At least that how I rationalize it. I really don't need it anymore. It is such a small dose. (250 mg a day)
> I've been on many meds because they misdiagnosed me. They thought I was majorly depressed. they finally diagnosed me as bipolar and started getting the meds right. However, it wasn't until my second hospitalization that they got me on effexor and topomax.
> I've been on prozac, celexa, zeprexa, serequel, wellbutrin, depakote, zanax and others that I can't remember right now. Most of these stopped working for me.
> Well got to go. Tell me more about your meds and what happened with them. later.
> Linda
>
> Hi Linda, I haven't been online for a few days, feelin a little down, but better tonight. Hope you are doing well. Good for you!!! You lost 2 sizes too-wonderful. Feels good doesn't it? I still have a few I need to lose for sure. I went back to taking 100mg of the Topamax a few days ago and it was a mistake, so I started back at 200 mg a day again yesterday. I'm famous for playing with my meds (bad girl) LOL
> > You sound like you have a pretty reasonable doctor?
> > Right now I am taking 75mg of Effexor and hope to increase it next time I see my psychiatrist. I believe I need a higher dose to keep my depression at bay for sure. We do sound alike. I have been hospitalized a few times for major depression and now I'm just trying to get my mood stabilized more. I still get a little depressed sometimes-but I'm working on that. So, you like the combo of Topamax and Effexor? How long have you been on both? Have you had any success with any other meds on the past? Why are you going off the Depakote???
> >
> > Hope to hear from you soon, if I can be of any help to you let me know.
> >
> > Gal
> >

 

Ditto Bubba32 (nm)

Posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 12:49:44

In reply to Re: Topamax Experience me or the med?, posted by Bubba32 on July 11, 2003, at 11:13:41

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by Nycole on July 11, 2003, at 18:36:44

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats, posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 12:48:25

Linda and Gal.....

Hi Girls! Hope this message finds you both feeling well. I was just reading your messages and though I always read through the messages, I haven't written one in a while. I am still keepin' on with the Topamax. Doing pretty good with the depression. I still have a lot of social anxiety, which is kind of new for me because I am usually a very outgoing person. Do either of you experience that? I feel like just staying home all the time instead of going anywhere an I get nervous when I have to go places.
OK, so I've been on the Topamax for like 3 weeks and I don't think I lost any weight yet :(
Well, I weighed myself last week and I hadn'd lost a pound and of course that ruined my whole day so I am afraid to weigh myself again. Isn't it amazing what one little thing can do to ruin what would have been a normal day??
Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed and try to weigh again next week. Like both of you were saying, my weight gain from the meds has made my deprssion even worse than it was (and I didn't think that was possible). I know losing this weight would make a world of difference. Thanks for listening!!
Have a good weekend. Hope all is well on your end!
Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole

Posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 21:17:18

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by Nycole on July 11, 2003, at 18:36:44

Hi Nycole, Great to hear from you again! Personally, I have been going through a little depression on my end and yes, I have felt the way you're talking about. I have felt like just staying home, not really getting out of my pj's. I have made it to the store a few times, but haven't been doing my hair or make-up, etc., things I usually do. I'm having an extremely hard time getting back any kind of motivation to fininsh my schoolwork, which I hope has to do with a Topamax side effect as much as I hate to say that-rather than me losing interest in school when I'm almost done. Yikes!
So what dose are you on now of the Topamax? I'm still on 200mg. Have you increased it any? Maybe for you, 3 weeks is still early to see some weight loss, just keep hanging in and try weighing yourself next week like you said. How do you feel otherwise? How is your appetite? How are foods and drinks tasting?
So glad to hear from you!
Always let me know how you're doing ok.


Gal

> Linda and Gal.....
>
> Hi Girls! Hope this message finds you both feeling well. I was just reading your messages and though I always read through the messages, I haven't written one in a while. I am still keepin' on with the Topamax. Doing pretty good with the depression. I still have a lot of social anxiety, which is kind of new for me because I am usually a very outgoing person. Do either of you experience that? I feel like just staying home all the time instead of going anywhere an I get nervous when I have to go places.
> OK, so I've been on the Topamax for like 3 weeks and I don't think I lost any weight yet :(
> Well, I weighed myself last week and I hadn'd lost a pound and of course that ruined my whole day so I am afraid to weigh myself again. Isn't it amazing what one little thing can do to ruin what would have been a normal day??
> Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed and try to weigh again next week. Like both of you were saying, my weight gain from the meds has made my deprssion even worse than it was (and I didn't think that was possible). I know losing this weight would make a world of difference. Thanks for listening!!
> Have a good weekend. Hope all is well on your end!
> Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by LBcats on July 11, 2003, at 22:06:28

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? LBcats, posted by galkeepinon on July 11, 2003, at 12:48:25

>Hi Gal,
That's funny you mentioned the omega 3 fatty acids. My doc told me to take flax oil that contains lots of omega 3. I took it for a while then kind of gave up on it since they are horse pills and cost as much as my RX's. Anyway, I eat the right foods.
Haven't been doing well lately, just kind of depressed. Maybe I should start taking my flax oil, who knows. I'm scheduled to see my doc again on the 11th of Aug. But I've got lots of stress at work too. Anyway, hopefully it will pass. later

Linda
Linda, you sound like me! I went off the Depakote for the same reason but it wasn't helping at all either and I was misdiagnosed too.
> My first AD was Prozac-worked well, but gained a lot of weight-stopped working, was on Ananfranil-gained weight-misdiagnosed with OCD, was on Luvox-misdiagnosed, was on Paxil had a bad reaction, was on Zoloft-didn't work, Celexa worked well for a while-great med for me, and tried a whole mess of many more also. I have seemed to find a pretty good combo (crossing fingers) with the Effexor, Topamax, and Klonopin-seems to work pretty good so far. I been through the run of the mill. I'm now concentrating on taking the nutrition path-eating more omega 3 fatty acids, supplements, drinking a lot of water, etc.
>
> Let me know how everything is holding up for you!
> Gal
>
>
>
>
> > > Hi Gal,
> > I've been known to mess with my meds too. So don't knock yourself over that. It's just part of what we do. I want to get off the depakote because it think it keeps me from losing more weight. At least that how I rationalize it. I really don't need it anymore. It is such a small dose. (250 mg a day)
> > I've been on many meds because they misdiagnosed me. They thought I was majorly depressed. they finally diagnosed me as bipolar and started getting the meds right. However, it wasn't until my second hospitalization that they got me on effexor and topomax.
> > I've been on prozac, celexa, zeprexa, serequel, wellbutrin, depakote, zanax and others that I can't remember right now. Most of these stopped working for me.
> > Well got to go. Tell me more about your meds and what happened with them. later.
> > Linda
> >
> > Hi Linda, I haven't been online for a few days, feelin a little down, but better tonight. Hope you are doing well. Good for you!!! You lost 2 sizes too-wonderful. Feels good doesn't it? I still have a few I need to lose for sure. I went back to taking 100mg of the Topamax a few days ago and it was a mistake, so I started back at 200 mg a day again yesterday. I'm famous for playing with my meds (bad girl) LOL
> > > You sound like you have a pretty reasonable doctor?
> > > Right now I am taking 75mg of Effexor and hope to increase it next time I see my psychiatrist. I believe I need a higher dose to keep my depression at bay for sure. We do sound alike. I have been hospitalized a few times for major depression and now I'm just trying to get my mood stabilized more. I still get a little depressed sometimes-but I'm working on that. So, you like the combo of Topamax and Effexor? How long have you been on both? Have you had any success with any other meds on the past? Why are you going off the Depakote???
> > >
> > > Hope to hear from you soon, if I can be of any help to you let me know.
> > >
> > > Gal
> > >
>

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????

Posted by LBcats on July 11, 2003, at 22:15:14

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by Nycole on July 11, 2003, at 18:36:44

>Nycole
I can't remember when my weight loss started but I know it wasn't in 3 weeks because my doc started me slowly on Topomax. And even if they started you on a higher dose it takes awhile to get into your system. Give it time. You have to be patient and dont' get on that scale again, until you start eating less. You will know when you start eating less. You will know when your appetite is suppressed, believe me. Topomax works as an appetite suppressant. Some days I will forget to eat. My husband has to remind me.
good luck and if you need anything just holler.
Linda
Linda and Gal.....
>
> Hi Girls! Hope this message finds you both feeling well. I was just reading your messages and though I always read through the messages, I haven't written one in a while. I am still keepin' on with the Topamax. Doing pretty good with the depression. I still have a lot of social anxiety, which is kind of new for me because I am usually a very outgoing person. Do either of you experience that? I feel like just staying home all the time instead of going anywhere an I get nervous when I have to go places.
> OK, so I've been on the Topamax for like 3 weeks and I don't think I lost any weight yet :(
> Well, I weighed myself last week and I hadn'd lost a pound and of course that ruined my whole day so I am afraid to weigh myself again. Isn't it amazing what one little thing can do to ruin what would have been a normal day??
> Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed and try to weigh again next week. Like both of you were saying, my weight gain from the meds has made my deprssion even worse than it was (and I didn't think that was possible). I know losing this weight would make a world of difference. Thanks for listening!!
> Have a good weekend. Hope all is well on your end!
> Nycole

 

Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice????? Nycole

Posted by KRM123 on July 11, 2003, at 22:31:58

In reply to Re: Topamax Weight Loss Advice?????, posted by Nycole on July 11, 2003, at 18:36:44

Hi I am going to ask my Dr. to put me on Topamax next week. My appetite is outrageous with the Zoloft. Losing about 10lbs would make a world of difference for me! I am depressed about my weight so keep eating for comfort. I really hope and pray that the Topamax is my answer. I am so scared that I am going to have some awful side effect with it and will have to discontinue or it won't suppress my appetite. I am really scared because it just has to work! I go back to school at the end of August and don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe...How many mg do you usually start out taking? Thanks.



Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.