Posted by caraher on June 28, 2008, at 4:35:51
In reply to Son-in Law being medically discharged from army, posted by fayeroe on June 27, 2008, at 16:23:21
> And it's due to the PTSD. They take no responsibility for the pain that the soldiers are experiencing upon their return home. They actually had him scheduled for a fall deployment.
> PTSD is now "battlefield fatigue"....
What boggles my mind is that studies performed by the US military indicate that extended periods of combat will cause psychological casualties among virtually every person exposed. A few weeks followed by a chance to recover works. But even a few months pretty much guarantees lasting scars.
David Grossman, who has extensively studied the psychology of killing, observes that
"Swank and Marchand's World War II study of US Army combatants on the beaches of Normandy found that after 60 days of continuous combat, 98% of the surviving soldiers had become psychiatric casualties. And the remaining 2% were identified as "aggressive psychopathic personalities." Thus it is not too far from the mark to observe that there is something about continuous, inescapable combat which will drive 98% of all men insane, and the other 2% were crazy when they got there."
(from http://www.killology.com/print/print_psychological.htm )