Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Why would my Doc stop my Klonopin? zeugma

Posted by almondjoy on April 20, 2004, at 14:56:39

In reply to Re: Why would my Doc stop my Klonopin?, posted by zeugma on April 19, 2004, at 17:40:44

> > > Try learning some breathing exercises in the next month and tough it out >
> >
> > Sorry, for saying "tough it out" ...that's bull... but i understand your doc's pov, even if politics are involved, benzos can't help you handle anxiety over the long haul...
>
> Why do you say "benzos can't help handle anxiety over the long haul"? Is there any evidence to suggest that benzos are ineffective anxiolytics long term?
> >
> > good luck however you decide to handle the situation
> > Thanks, I have suffered from horrific anxiety- no, fear- all my life and simply want to stop feeling like my amygdala is having its 'fear' button pushed every minute. AD's help the panic but don't counter the visceral sensations of fear that I constantly am swamped with. I have been in many kinds of therapy all my life and none has yielded the slightest relief of these dysphoric sensations.
> > d
> > z
>
>

Benzos dont help over the long haul and I'm not talking about studies or stats but logic taking a pill won't FIX anxiety. You can take it for six months or 16 years and if you haven't found other coping skills or an underlying biological problem, should you stop taking benzos the problem is still going to be there, and maybe be even be worse because of dependency on the medication.

It's well known that benzos are highly addictive, and it's happened to me on ativan. After taking a benzo for months the same dosage might not help as much, or you might be extremely upset or afraid at the idea of stopping. Aside from quitting, once it starts it can only get worse.

I absolutely think that anyone with a medical condition should be knowledgable about it and involved in the treatment decisions, but at the same time we have to trust that our healthcare providers have objectivity that we can't have and knowledge that we might not have. If you're not satisfied with your treatment or you don't trust your doc then don't stay, but if it really comes down to whether or not your doc will give you a script for benzos then REALLY think about it. And it can't hurt to talk to your doc about it, too. Just tell them you think its the only thing thats helped and you might go see someone else...


take care

d


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:almondjoy thread:336284
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20040417/msgs/338145.html