Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: answer

Posted by Terry on March 11, 1999, at 22:55:47

In reply to answer, posted by Something to think about, ......... on March 11, 1999, at 19:42:17

Dante -- So your point is that people with mental illness should just wake up and decide to be in a good mood and snap out of it? I don't think so. There is so much evidence now that mental illness is biologically based. I think you can definitely help yourself with positive thinking, therapy, etc., but for many of us, we need medication too. Nothing worked (including many years of therapy) until I got on medication. For the first time in my life, I feel empowered because I have the tools to cope now. I am glad you have "overcome" your panic attacks and depression as you say with positive thinking, but for a great many of us, that's simply not enough. Many of us already feel guilty because we couldn't "cure" ourselves of our mental illness on our own. But I can no more cure myself of my disorder than person with cancer can cure himself/herself without chemotherapy. Sorry if I'm too defensive here but this is a touchy subject for me, as I'm sure it is for many other people battling mental illness. Terry

> Something to think about....
> I worked in a resteraunt part time during school, I had a manager named jeff, he was the type of guy you loved to hate because he was always in a good mood, and when ever your around him he would make you feel better.
> I walked up to jeff and asked: how do you do it?, how can you always be in a good mood and soo confidant all the time?
> he said: well when i wake up in the morning the first thing i do is make a choice, a choice to be in a good mood or a bad mood, i choose a good mood every day. life is all about choices.
> one night the resturant got robbed by 2 armed gunman, they put a gun to jeffs chest and said: whats the combo to the safe, and get all the money.
> jeff was scared stupid, and at that moment he made a choice, to live or to die, he made a choice to live, he opened the safe and gave them all the money.
> right before they left they shot jeff point blank, and said: nobody knows anything...
> jeff was rushed to the er, a nurse kept frantically asking him questions: are you allergic to anything, and jeff yelled 'yes'.....'bullets', now operate on me like a live man not a dead man, at that moment jeff made a desicion, to live or die, he chose to live.
> I use to suffer from panic attacks, and depression, but now I am going farther in life than i ever have before. every morning when i wake up i choose to live and not be afraid, and i choose to be in a good mood.
> yes anxiety and depression are hard to handle at times but they WILL NOT beat you, unless you choose to let them,
> make a choice!!
> Dante A.




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Terry thread:3621