Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 335782

Shown: posts 1 to 14 of 14. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by lexman on April 12, 2004, at 23:24:12

I have a hard time wondering if i am really in touch with my emotions.Am i really happy at that cherished moment,am i really sad hearing the troubling news today, am i really dissappointed with my success and faults today.I dont know if am me anymore.i have increased my dose of lexapro to 20mg almost 2 weeks ago.the only thing i noticed is am tired during the day and i cant sleep at night.I take in the morning, that when the dr. said to take it.i also get alot of chills thoroughout the day.i have had these chills without the lexapro so i know its not a side effect.Will it get better?I pray everyday that it will....

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by KathrynLex on April 12, 2004, at 23:39:37

In reply to Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by lexman on April 12, 2004, at 23:24:12

Hi Lexman,

You might try taking your Lexapro at night. I take mine around 10:30 or 11:00 pm and it helps a bit with the daytime fatigue.

Would you say you're feeling flat? I had the same problem with Lexapro until I added 150 mgs Wellbutrin. It's been great. You might want to ask your pdoc about it.

K.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by green hornet on April 13, 2004, at 7:19:58

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by KathrynLex on April 12, 2004, at 23:39:37

I agree -- I don't think I would want to be on Lexepro without my Wellbutrin.green hornet

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by linnie on April 13, 2004, at 12:56:47

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by green hornet on April 13, 2004, at 7:19:58

> I agree -- I don't think I would want to be on Lexepro without my Wellbutrin.green hornet


What is the use in being on lexapro when you have to add something else to it?

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by pretty_paints on April 13, 2004, at 14:44:09

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by linnie on April 13, 2004, at 12:56:47

I keep hearing about wellbutrin, but could someone in the know please explain to me what it is?

Is it an AD? Or a stimulant? Is it that the Lexapro basically pulls you up from the depths of depression, but generally leaves you a bit flat, but then wellbutrin gives you a bit of a kick?!

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help! Im on FXR, not on either of these drugs, just interested :)

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? pretty_paints

Posted by KathrynLex on April 13, 2004, at 18:58:37

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by pretty_paints on April 13, 2004, at 14:44:09

Hi Pretty_Paints,

Wellbutrin is an AD, but not an SSRI. It's in a class of meds all by itself because it works on different chemicals in the brain. SSRIs increase seritonine, while Wellbutrin affects dopamine and norepinephrine.

A lot of people find Lexapro to be very stimulating. However, it makes me extremely tired and somehow Wellbutrin counters that effect. (In addition to helping with my depression.)

K.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by rianny on April 15, 2004, at 7:56:58

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? ?pretty_paints, posted by KathrynLex on April 13, 2004, at 18:58:37

Lexapro is another version of Celexa, right?
I've tried Celexa, and it was the worst experience I've ever had. I was a zombie with no emotion, but only anxiety that is never revealed to people outside. What I'm saying is I was soooo anxious inside but I wasn't expressing it. Anyway, I don't even wanna talk about that moment further.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by shadows721 on April 16, 2004, at 2:02:40

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by pretty_paints on April 13, 2004, at 14:44:09

Wellbutrin is more like an upper. It is related to speed. That's why people tend to loose weight with it. It is good for folks with no anxiety and have just depression. It will increase anxiety harshly. A lot of folks tend to be allergic to it as well. Now, let me clarify, I am not speaking for all that take it. Some folks have absolutely no problem with it. I think it has to do with our genetic chemical make up.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? KathrynLex

Posted by Doug Saving The Team on April 18, 2004, at 10:03:08

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?, posted by KathrynLex on April 12, 2004, at 23:39:37

Hi,

regarding you with lex and WB, I am just on WB now because I stopped Prozac due to numbness/apathy at mistakes. Did you have this numbness with Lex and does WB truly make a meaningful difference to get rid of that apathy?

I ask because I am considering going back to add a bit of an SSRI.

Thanks,
Doug

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? Doug Saving The Team

Posted by KathrynLex on April 19, 2004, at 14:49:29

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? KathrynLex, posted by Doug Saving The Team on April 18, 2004, at 10:03:08

Hi Doug,

The Wellbutrin has helped with the numbness and apathy brought on by the Lexapro. And the Lexapro is a great anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. I think Wellbutrin with any SSRI can be a good combo.

However, Lexapro has a few drawbacks. The initial adjustment period is a little difficult for some people, and you can't stop taking Lexapro cold turkey (the way you could with Prozac). It causes horrible withdrawl symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.

Other than that, I highly recommend Lexapro. I hope that if you decide to try it, you will have a positive experience with it.

K.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? KathrynLex

Posted by BobS, on April 19, 2004, at 18:19:51

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? Doug Saving The Team, posted by KathrynLex on April 19, 2004, at 14:49:29

K,
Can you elaborate on the initial adjustment period you mention below? What symptoms and any thoughts on controlling them?
Tx,
BobS.


> Hi Doug,
>
> The Wellbutrin has helped with the numbness and apathy brought on by the Lexapro. And the Lexapro is a great anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. I think Wellbutrin with any SSRI can be a good combo.
>
> However, Lexapro has a few drawbacks. The initial adjustment period is a little difficult for some people, and you can't stop taking Lexapro cold turkey (the way you could with Prozac). It causes horrible withdrawl symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.
>
> Other than that, I highly recommend Lexapro. I hope that if you decide to try it, you will have a positive experience with it.
>
> K.

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? BobS,

Posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 11:41:17

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? KathrynLex, posted by BobS, on April 19, 2004, at 18:19:51

Hi Bob,

Before I launch into an explanation of the Lexapro adjustment period it's important to keep in mind that these meds effect everyone differently. Some people start taking Lexapro and experience NO side effects.

When I first began Lexapro the side effects included: decreased appetite, mild insomnia, dry mouth, night sweats (which are weird and uncomfortable but tolerable), and I had flu like symptoms during the first week. (However, that is very rare.)

All of the above side effects I mentioned aren't that bad and they all go away within the first 3 weeks. The worst side effect for me was increased anxiety for two weeks. To combat this I highly recommend Xanax or Klonopin. Both of those meds can do wonders for anxiety.

So Bob, I hope I have answered your questions without scaring you away from Lexapro. It's a very effective medication and I really like it.

K.

 

Thanks KLex (nm)

Posted by BobS, on April 20, 2004, at 18:42:04

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? BobS,, posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 11:41:17

 

Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro?

Posted by linnie on April 22, 2004, at 11:42:10

In reply to Re: Can u feel emotions truly on Lexapro? BobS,, posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 11:41:17

> Hi Bob,
>
> Before I launch into an explanation of the Lexapro adjustment period it's important to keep in mind that these meds effect everyone differently. Some people start taking Lexapro and experience NO side effects.
>
> When I first began Lexapro the side effects included: decreased appetite, mild insomnia, dry mouth, night sweats (which are weird and uncomfortable but tolerable), and I had flu like symptoms during the first week. (However, that is very rare.)
>
> All of the above side effects I mentioned aren't that bad and they all go away within the first 3 weeks. The worst side effect for me was increased anxiety for two weeks. To combat this I highly recommend Xanax or Klonopin. Both of those meds can do wonders for anxiety.
>
> So Bob, I hope I have answered your questions without scaring you away from Lexapro. It's a very effective medication and I really like it.
>
> K.

Has anyone had an increased desire for sweets while on lex?
l


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.