Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 4929 to 4953 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: HELP! HELP! Nausea and Lexapro casiopea

Posted by Mariposa on October 21, 2003, at 16:34:23

In reply to HELP! HELP! Nausea and Lexapro, posted by casiopea on October 21, 2003, at 15:21:19

> Hey, I have a question.I had been taking lexapro for the past 6 months as a treatment for OCD. I had been feeling great but I had to stop taking my medication since two weeks ago. I ran out of medicine and money so I could not afford to buy more. I am currently not feeling well. I am light headed and dizzy. I dont know if it because I stop my medication and wonder if the feeling will go away as soon as I resume on taking the Lexapro...

From reading posts here, I would have to say quitting *cold-turkey* is not a good idea with any of these meds. It seems like you get side effects (sometimes worse than when you started the meds) when you go off them. Most people have suggested that cutting back gradually is the way to go.

Not sure if you start again if that will help the side effects.

Good luck to you.~~~8|8

 

Sleepy w/Lexapro

Posted by memphistigers2004 on October 21, 2003, at 19:49:26

In reply to Re: SSRIs and Beyond mchappy, posted by theo on October 17, 2003, at 15:05:25

I have been on Lex for a week now and I am sleepy all the time. I am taking it at night, but I am still incredibly drowsy when I wake up. Today I took a two hour nap and was still sleepy. Did anyone else experience this and did it go away eventually?

 

Re: Sleepy w/Lexapro

Posted by vandy on October 21, 2003, at 20:37:09

In reply to Sleepy w/Lexapro, posted by memphistigers2004 on October 21, 2003, at 19:49:26

I think a review of this thread wills show lots of us have had that experience. It goes away but it produces some lovely naps while it sticks around.

> I have been on Lex for a week now and I am sleepy all the time. I am taking it at night, but I am still incredibly drowsy when I wake up. Today I took a two hour nap and was still sleepy. Did anyone else experience this and did it go away eventually?

 

Re: Anxious because I still am. Scribbler

Posted by JohnR on October 21, 2003, at 20:49:53

In reply to Re: Anxious because I still am., posted by Scribbler on October 21, 2003, at 14:55:49

Scribbler,
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

I'm feeling pretty good myself. I don't know how much credit goes to the Lexapro but my depression has certainly improved. I think I'm a lot easier to get along with and happier too.

I've been trying not to jump to any conclusions regarding what other side effects I've experienced. However, I think I am prepared to say my dreams have been affected. Every morning now I wake up and remember several dreams from that night. It's been very consistent. Prior to the Lexapro that was unusual for me. I kind of like it!

I think there has also been some improvement on the other problem I mentioned before. ; )

So far so good.

John

 

Lexapro for Anxiety?

Posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 21:51:52

In reply to Re: Sleepy w/Lexapro, posted by vandy on October 21, 2003, at 20:37:09

This is a general message for everyone here.
Is Lexapro helping anyone with an anxiety disorder? Or is it mostly secondary anxiety with depression?
I suffer from severe GAD, and have yet to find anything to work. On top of that, Lexapro is not available in Canada to date.
Thanks for any info
Jill

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 21, 2003, at 22:01:12

In reply to Lexapro for Anxiety?, posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 21:51:52

> This is a general message for everyone here.
> Is Lexapro helping anyone with an anxiety disorder? Or is it mostly secondary anxiety with depression?
> I suffer from severe GAD, and have yet to find anything to work. On top of that, Lexapro is not available in Canada to date.
> Thanks for any info
> Jill


Hi Jill,
Yes yea & yes! I suffered severely from anxiety mainly. I paced my house and walked circles hoping my house would miraculously clean itself up. I sat down and watched Opera for the first time in about 2 years, the whole show! I could never have done that before. I stay at home with my 2 & 3 year old and had a very hard time relaxing ever. I felt like I always had to be doing soemthing (even if it was pacing) I have been n Lexapro for about 4 weeks now & I feel so much calmer (without feeling drugged) I was sleepy the first week, but filled with energy now, just good energy!
Hoep this helps*

 

Re: Sexual Side Effects

Posted by PHV on October 21, 2003, at 22:03:31

In reply to Sexual Side Effects, posted by nonsexual Jeff on October 21, 2003, at 12:53:12

I had absolutely no sex drive whatsoever for the first six or so weeks on Lex. Orgasm's were something of the past - or so I thought. Fortunately, as the body adjusts to the meds - 2-3 months into it - I am able to get back to a fairly normal sex life. Just give them a chance. It takes awhile for the body to get used to the meds before you are comfortable in your own skin again. Keep us posted. Good luck. Patty

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? nemo kitty

Posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 22:08:56

In reply to Re: Lexapro for Anxiety?, posted by nemo kitty on October 21, 2003, at 22:01:12

>
> Hi Jill,
> Yes yea & yes! I suffered severely from anxiety mainly. I paced my house and walked circles hoping my house would miraculously clean itself up. I sat down and watched Opera for the first time in about 2 years, the whole show! I could never have done that before. I stay at home with my 2 & 3 year old and had a very hard time relaxing ever. I felt like I always had to be doing soemthing (even if it was pacing) I have been n Lexapro for about 4 weeks now & I feel so much calmer (without feeling drugged) I was sleepy the first week, but filled with energy now, just good energy!
> Hoep this helps*

Well that is definitely positive, had you ever tried anything else, or been on an anti-anxiety drug before that?

 

Re: Ladies - Any PMS Type SE

Posted by PHV on October 21, 2003, at 22:09:49

In reply to Re: Ladies - Any PMS Type SE, posted by ginger C on October 20, 2003, at 10:08:52

My period as well is a few days longer than usual since starting Lex. but this PMS stuff this month is way out of control. I don't like that!

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 21, 2003, at 22:14:19

In reply to Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? nemo kitty, posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 22:08:56

> >
> > Hi Jill,
> > Yes yea & yes! I suffered severely from anxiety mainly. I paced my house and walked circles hoping my house would miraculously clean itself up. I sat down and watched Opera for the first time in about 2 years, the whole show! I could never have done that before. I stay at home with my 2 & 3 year old and had a very hard time relaxing ever. I felt like I always had to be doing soemthing (even if it was pacing) I have been n Lexapro for about 4 weeks now & I feel so much calmer (without feeling drugged) I was sleepy the first week, but filled with energy now, just good energy!
> > Hoep this helps*
>
> Well that is definitely positive, had you ever tried anything else, or been on an anti-anxiety drug before that?
>

oh yeah,
I was on:
Paxil-couldn't sleep at night
zoloft-gained 15 pounds
Effexor (for 3 days)-was a walking dead person
Wellbutrin-loved it, lost weight, but it wasn't quite strong enough for the anxiety because it is not an ssri, it works a different way.

I like the Lexapro because I feel so much more at ease with everything...like one step at a time instead of 5 jumps. :)

 

Re: Sexual Side Effects nonsexual Jeff

Posted by The Brain on October 21, 2003, at 23:05:29

In reply to Sexual Side Effects, posted by nonsexual Jeff on October 21, 2003, at 12:53:12

Hey Jeff.

I feel your pain man. It doesn't seem as though there are as many posts about this issue as it affects men.

Been on lexapro for about 2 weeks or so. I had been switched from Zoloft (50 mgs/day - over the past 3 years) because it started to mess around with one of my extraocular muscles, which gave me a bizarre "oscillopia."

I initially started off at 10 mgs of Lexapro in the morning. At this dosage schedule I got super sleepy during the day and felt like I was living life in slow motion, so I began taking it at night. This was unacceptable as well, as I had the most difficult time sleeping - when I woke the next morning I felt good and wired (not sleepy) but right around 2:00 pm - forget about it. I could be in the middle of a city intersection and fall asleep.

The sexual side effects during the first week, whether I was on the 10 mgs day or night, were really pronounced. No libido. Soft erections. Super delaaaaaaaaayed ejaculation. (strange though, sometimes I would wake up with the best morning missles, but at any other times, they were non existent) At times I would forget that I even had a penis. This really sucked, big time - I never really had this problem before so I got real scared.

Thus, I did two things in response:
1) I cut back the dose to 5 mg, hoping that the therapeutic threshold is below the threshold for sexual side-effects

2) I took it in the morning as soon as I woke up.

Since then I have been sleeping well and have had great energy levels. I do not feel depressed, but then again, my depression was usually treated well with low dosages of Zoloft.

My sex drive has improved a bit (not nearly enough!), but I am not "on the prowl" as I once was. Today (beginning of week three) was great though, because I was speaking to this woman whom I am interested in and simply observing her mannerisms started to rev up the engine (it used to be that way all the time) - you know...Go Go Gadget thingamajig. I am hoping that this is a good sign of things to come.

Given that I have noticed that some of the other side effects have decreased in severity for me (no more hot flashes, or excess sweating, no more difficulties sleeping) I am willing to tough it out for about another week or so before I go back to the doc to see what we can do about the libido issue.

I have been reading on this board and others like it that Wellbutrin, when added in small doses may alleviate some of the sexual dysfunction associated with these SSRIs. I know that you said you stopped taking Wellbutrin for your given reasons, but perhaps a small dose in addition to the Lexapro might work? This is what my doc said may be the next course of action. Initially I was against taking another med on top of the lexapro, but hey, I really need my sex life (read "penis") back.

I am happy for you that you have a woman who is willing to work with you on this. That will make things much better. My advice it to find a good doctor/psychiatrist and work closely with him/her - Not all Dr.'s are equally competent or compassionate, so you need to shop around. Me - well I am attempting to initiate this relationship with this really fantastic gal, and we have a date this weekend upcoming. I am hoping that all goes well and that my Go Go gadget machinery will be fully operational.


I would also like to hear from others guys who might have had this issue with one SSRI or another and how they resolved it. Any posts would be really appreciated.

How about Lexapro and Wellbutrin? Anyone had any luck? What dosage of each are you taking?

Cheers to all,

The Brain

> I've recently switched from taking Welbutrin (twice a day) to Lexapro (20 mg once a day) about a month ago because of increased anxiety. I took the Welbutrin mainly to treat my depression. Within the past five months I've gotten involved in a serious relationship, lost my job, moved to PR, and am looking for another job in a world where the preferred language is different than my first language. Therefore, you can understand why I am anxious most of the time.
>
> Although the Lexapro has really helped me a great deal with the anxiety, I am experiencing major sexual side effects. First, my sexual libido is just about gone and when I do get the urge to fool around with my partner, I get distracted, lose interest (including my erection) and have problems ejaculating - currently I've stopped trying. And if I do ejaculate, it's definitely not the same, it's as though my mind and body aren't connected when I have my orgasm. My partner is extremely patient and understanding, knowing that sexual side effects are a result from the meds. Is this going to continue or will I eventallly adapt to the medication and my sexual dysfunction will diminish?

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? hockeygirlcanada

Posted by galkeepinon on October 22, 2003, at 4:42:20

In reply to Lexapro for Anxiety?, posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 21:51:52

>>>>This is a general message for everyone here.
>>>>Is Lexapro helping anyone with an anxiety disorder? Or is it mostly secondary anxiety with depression?

Lexapro is helping me with secondary anxiety with depression.

>>>>I suffer from severe GAD, and have yet to find anything to work.

I know Effexor XR is approved for GAD, but that's another story...
Best wishes to you:-)

 

RE: Sleep w/Lexapro

Posted by Chotzy on October 22, 2003, at 8:36:01

In reply to Sleepy w/Lexapro, posted by memphistigers2004 on October 21, 2003, at 19:49:26

> I have been on Lex for a week now and I am sleepy all the time. I am taking it at night, but I am still incredibly drowsy when I wake up. Today I took a two hour nap and was still sleepy. Did anyone else experience this and did it go away eventually?

Same thing is happening here and I have been taking it for 14 days today. I am taking it at night and was taking it during the day. I did find it is a bit better at night.

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? galkeepinon

Posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 22, 2003, at 9:02:13

In reply to Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? hockeygirlcanada, posted by galkeepinon on October 22, 2003, at 4:42:20


>
> I know Effexor XR is approved for GAD, but that's another story...
> Best wishes to you:-)
>

You are right Effexor is another story, I spent over two years, despite my pleas, on the max of that, and finally convinced my family doctor, to let me get off of it, 6 weeks of mental and physical hell, but you are right, it is indicated for GAD, how I do not know, but thank you for your info!

 

Re: Sleepy w/Lexapro vandy

Posted by Esmarelda on October 22, 2003, at 9:13:20

In reply to Re: Sleepy w/Lexapro, posted by vandy on October 21, 2003, at 20:37:09

I was extremely sleepy for about the first 3 months or so. I would sleep all day lots of days. I found that if I would force myself to get up that I would be okay and actually felt pretty energetic at night, but in the mornings I had a terrible time getting up. I am still a little sleepy in the mornings, but just get up and go do it! I take mine in the mornings, but have read other posts that it doesn't really seem to matter when you take it -- the effect is the same. I will take sleepiness over depression any day! Good luck.

 

RE: Sleep w/Lexapro Chotzy

Posted by casiopea on October 22, 2003, at 11:15:36

In reply to RE: Sleep w/Lexapro, posted by Chotzy on October 22, 2003, at 8:36:01

I started taking Lexapro 6 months ago and I am not sure if it is the same for everybody but I felt sleepy for the first 2 months.

 

My first day as well, Very Nervous

Posted by tiredman on October 22, 2003, at 11:22:23

In reply to Re: Help! First day: Nausea and Lexapro vandy, posted by LynneDa on October 21, 2003, at 10:24:41

I'm very sensitive to medication and my p-doc started me on only 2.5 mg of Lexapro. I know this is far lower then the therapeutic dose but it has made me feel very "jittery". I'm afraid that I will not be able to take a full 10 mg dose. Have any of you experienced being jittery??

 

Re: HELP! HELP! Nausea and Lexapro Mariposa

Posted by casiopea on October 22, 2003, at 11:24:07

In reply to Re: HELP! HELP! Nausea and Lexapro casiopea, posted by Mariposa on October 21, 2003, at 16:34:23

Thanks Mariposa and Esmerelda. I think I might be able to get more medication soon... hopefully the dizzynes and nausea will go away...
Thank you guys

 

Re: Sexual Side Effects

Posted by nonsexual Jeff on October 22, 2003, at 11:25:15

In reply to Re: Sexual Side Effects nonsexual Jeff, posted by The Brain on October 21, 2003, at 23:05:29

Brain,

Thanks for the reply . . . I'm going to consult my doctor today and see if the well/lex is a good choice for me.

I plan to contine the Lexapro since it's helped out my depression a lot, but it's going to be a challenge. I pride myself on my "missel" as you would call it - as I was extremely blessed in that department. Not being able to use it as much as I like to has really been a real downer.

Hopefully you'll be back in the saddle after your date this weekend . . . I found that as long as I go for a long period of time without masturbating or sex, then my performance improves but it's not the same for me at all.

Regardless, thanks for the advice and good luck!

 

RE: Sleep w/Lexapro

Posted by ginger C on October 22, 2003, at 11:58:53

In reply to RE: Sleep w/Lexapro, posted by Chotzy on October 22, 2003, at 8:36:01

I have been taking lexapro for almost a year and I feel very tired in the morning so much that i find myself falling asleep on my job. I tried switching to taking it in the morning because I would stay sleepy all day and then be unable to sleep at night. My doctor gave me .25mg of xanax to help me get to sleep at night.

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? np :-) (nm) hockeygirlcanada

Posted by galkeepinon on October 22, 2003, at 12:16:01

In reply to Re: Lexapro for Anxiety? galkeepinon, posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 22, 2003, at 9:02:13

 

Re: My first day as well, Very Nervous tiredman

Posted by galkeepinon on October 22, 2003, at 12:33:39

In reply to My first day as well, Very Nervous, posted by tiredman on October 22, 2003, at 11:22:23

I've experienced 'jittery' I was to go down to 5mg of Lex today,but I just called my doctor and I am to return to taking 10mg again, and I feel jittery all ready.
Maybe give the Lex a chance and hopefully it will pass for you~you might be pleasantly surprised!
I also take a benzo, maybe that's an option for you. If not, talk to your prescribing doctor and hopefully he/she can help you.
Hang in there:-)

> I'm very sensitive to medication and my p-doc started me on only 2.5 mg of Lexapro. I know this is far lower then the therapeutic dose but it has made me feel very "jittery". I'm afraid that I will not be able to take a full 10 mg dose. Have any of you experienced being jittery??

 

Re: Sexual Side Effects

Posted by BLKVETTES on October 22, 2003, at 12:48:42

In reply to Re: Sexual Side Effects nonsexual Jeff, posted by The Brain on October 21, 2003, at 23:05:29

> Hey Jeff.
>
> I feel your pain man. It doesn't seem as though there are as many posts about this issue as it affects men.
>
> Been on lexapro for about 2 weeks or so. I had been switched from Zoloft (50 mgs/day - over the past 3 years) because it started to mess around with one of my extraocular muscles, which gave me a bizarre "oscillopia."
>
> I initially started off at 10 mgs of Lexapro in the morning. At this dosage schedule I got super sleepy during the day and felt like I was living life in slow motion, so I began taking it at night. This was unacceptable as well, as I had the most difficult time sleeping - when I woke the next morning I felt good and wired (not sleepy) but right around 2:00 pm - forget about it. I could be in the middle of a city intersection and fall asleep.
>
> The sexual side effects during the first week, whether I was on the 10 mgs day or night, were really pronounced. No libido. Soft erections. Super delaaaaaaaaayed ejaculation. (strange though, sometimes I would wake up with the best morning missles, but at any other times, they were non existent) At times I would forget that I even had a penis. This really sucked, big time - I never really had this problem before so I got real scared.
>
> Thus, I did two things in response:
> 1) I cut back the dose to 5 mg, hoping that the therapeutic threshold is below the threshold for sexual side-effects
>
> 2) I took it in the morning as soon as I woke up.
>
> Since then I have been sleeping well and have had great energy levels. I do not feel depressed, but then again, my depression was usually treated well with low dosages of Zoloft.
>
> My sex drive has improved a bit (not nearly enough!), but I am not "on the prowl" as I once was. Today (beginning of week three) was great though, because I was speaking to this woman whom I am interested in and simply observing her mannerisms started to rev up the engine (it used to be that way all the time) - you know...Go Go Gadget thingamajig. I am hoping that this is a good sign of things to come.
>
> Given that I have noticed that some of the other side effects have decreased in severity for me (no more hot flashes, or excess sweating, no more difficulties sleeping) I am willing to tough it out for about another week or so before I go back to the doc to see what we can do about the libido issue.
>
> I have been reading on this board and others like it that Wellbutrin, when added in small doses may alleviate some of the sexual dysfunction associated with these SSRIs. I know that you said you stopped taking Wellbutrin for your given reasons, but perhaps a small dose in addition to the Lexapro might work? This is what my doc said may be the next course of action. Initially I was against taking another med on top of the lexapro, but hey, I really need my sex life (read "penis") back.
>
> I am happy for you that you have a woman who is willing to work with you on this. That will make things much better. My advice it to find a good doctor/psychiatrist and work closely with him/her - Not all Dr.'s are equally competent or compassionate, so you need to shop around. Me - well I am attempting to initiate this relationship with this really fantastic gal, and we have a date this weekend upcoming. I am hoping that all goes well and that my Go Go gadget machinery will be fully operational.
>
>
> I would also like to hear from others guys who might have had this issue with one SSRI or another and how they resolved it. Any posts would be really appreciated.
>
> How about Lexapro and Wellbutrin? Anyone had any luck? What dosage of each are you taking?
>
> Cheers to all,
>
> The Brain
>
>
>
>
>
> > I've recently switched from taking Welbutrin (twice a day) to Lexapro (20 mg once a day) about a month ago because of increased anxiety. I took the Welbutrin mainly to treat my depression. Within the past five months I've gotten involved in a serious relationship, lost my job, moved to PR, and am looking for another job in a world where the preferred language is different than my first language. Therefore, you can understand why I am anxious most of the time.
> >
> > Although the Lexapro has really helped me a great deal with the anxiety, I am experiencing major sexual side effects. First, my sexual libido is just about gone and when I do get the urge to fool around with my partner, I get distracted, lose interest (including my erection) and have problems ejaculating - currently I've stopped trying. And if I do ejaculate, it's definitely not the same, it's as though my mind and body aren't connected when I have my orgasm. My partner is extremely patient and understanding, knowing that sexual side effects are a result from the meds. Is this going to continue or will I eventallly adapt to the medication and my sexual dysfunction will diminish?
>
>

I have been taking lexapro for about 8 months I guess. I never had trouble getting it up, just getting it out. I take 7.5mg. Ive noticed lately things are really starting to improve. I could never figure out if it was the lexapro or the reading of all the sexual dysfunction. Because even during sex I notice Im thinking about this. Ive always been able to get there but its way to much work. But lately it has not been a problem. I also found that early in the morning is best after some good sleep. I think thats partly to do with me not being fully awake and I dont think as much. There are all kinds of herbs and things that may help. Ive never tried any so couldnt say. I have no idea if this goes away for anyone else that posts. No one can say for sure. But I suffered with panic disorder and depression. I was suicidal!!!!!! Lexapro got rid of all of this!!!!! Sex has not been a priority of mine in the last year. But the drive is returning I believe. I have no real advice I guess!!!!!! But the sex part does return for many. NO GUARANTEES THOUGH!!!!!!!
WAYNE

 

Re: Lexapro for Anxiety?

Posted by BLKVETTES on October 22, 2003, at 12:53:58

In reply to Lexapro for Anxiety?, posted by hockeygirlcanada on October 21, 2003, at 21:51:52

> This is a general message for everyone here.
> Is Lexapro helping anyone with an anxiety disorder? Or is it mostly secondary anxiety with depression?
> I suffer from severe GAD, and have yet to find anything to work. On top of that, Lexapro is not available in Canada to date.
> Thanks for any info
> Jill

I suffered panic disorder and it does not get any worse than that. $100,000 billed to the insurance company because they couldnt diagnose me. Everyone at the hospital knew who I was when I showed up. I go to a lot of boards and lexapro has helped quite a few with anxiety!!!!! TRIAL AND ERROR WITH MEDS!!!!!!!!
WAYNE

 

Re: Sleepy w/Lexapro

Posted by BLKVETTES on October 22, 2003, at 12:59:08

In reply to Sleepy w/Lexapro, posted by memphistigers2004 on October 21, 2003, at 19:49:26

> I have been on Lex for a week now and I am sleepy all the time. I am taking it at night, but I am still incredibly drowsy when I wake up. Today I took a two hour nap and was still sleepy. Did anyone else experience this and did it go away eventually?

This is very common and one of the biggest complaints with lexapro. I had to have my dose lowered to deal with it. When I was no longer tired it was moved back up. Also insomnia is a common side effect. 8 months later I am sleeping better than I ever have. Ive suffered insomnia all my life. So this is a welcomed relief.
WAYNE


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.