Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 13781

Shown: posts 3558 to 3582 of 10407. Go back in thread:

 

ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?

Posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Just wondering if people that found it easy to go ON Effexor XR also found it easy to go OFF. I am one of the lucky folks that found it relatively easy to adjust to EXR, and it's working pretty well for me so far (unlike Zoloft, Paxil, and ESPECIALLY Prozac, all of which were nightmares, and Serzone, which didn't work). Did anyone who found it difficult to adjust also find it difficult to go off? You can see I'm hoping for a correlation here....

 

Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR?

Posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 21:42:54

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Hello:

I enjoyed getting on effexor. It plain felt good to me. I felt like I had a weight lifted from me. I was contented. It did me a great deal of good. No side effects except a little dizziness and increased blood pressure.

I have posted several messages on what a hell of a time getting off of it.

What about the proposition that I really needed the changes that the medication could make and that my system and constitution is having difficulty doing without it. Maybe hoakum but it as good as the idea, Easy on Easy off.

Don


> Hi there,
>
> Anyone care to comment on the use of Effexor? Anyone
> "happy" with it? I have tried Prozac (too much anxiety),
> Serzone (too sedating). I am currently on Buspar for anxiety.
>
> Been reading many different reports... Effexor seems
> to have a lot of success...
>
> please share your thoughts on this.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... PuraVida

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:19:55

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Krissy P, posted by PuraVida on March 24, 2003, at 18:42:35

Hi PV,
Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
Brains chemicals are something else eh?
I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Kristen,

How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -

PV

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:30:15

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......, posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 20:38:23

Wow Don, yes, it did help a lot-thanks.
It does sound like you are winning:-)
That is wonderful. Sounds like your doc sure knew about weaning you off slowly.
Both my pdoc and GP doc are considerate about giving samples-which often helps a lot of us.
Can I ask again, lol, what you feel, for you, is the best thing about Wellbutrin and the worst thing about it-if any??? I have never tried Wellbutrin.
Things like side effects, improving the depression, cravings for cigarettes, if you smoke and so on?
Thanks again, Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Krissy:
The first time I tried going down from 300 to 225 for a week to 150 for a week then to 75 for a week then 37.5 for a week. Then I quit. In about 3 days all of the symptoms started and got worse. I started to read more about it on the internet and went in to see my doctor. Before I could get an appointment I had to go back to 75 a day to feel even reasonably bad. I had read about switching to webrutin. We worked out for me to stay at 75 while we got the welbutrin going. I took 100mg a day for a week then went to 200 a day for a week. Then I reduced the effexor xr to 37.5 for a week and was doing reasonable. I had another appointment with the doctor and we went to 300mg welbutrin and I dropped to 37.5 every 36 hours and this friday I will go to 37.5 every 48 hours for three days and then quit the effexor and stay on the welbutrin for a while. I feel confident that I am now winning. By the way since the 37.5 is not readily available (I think) the doctor gave me some of the start up kits that have 37.5 xr in them.
> In summary. I could not in any way quit by going to 75 every other day. It is just too painful for my particular withdrawal problem.

Hope that helps
Don
>
>
>
> > Hi Don,
> > Can I ask you something here please.
> > I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
> > I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
> > Please let me know what you think?
> > Thanks, Kristen
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
> > Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
> > To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
> > Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.
> >
> > Don
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation? Paco

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:51:27

In reply to ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?, posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

Hi Paco,
well, I am in the middle of finding my workable med cocktail but here is my experience on the question you ask:

When I first started on EffexorXR-I got shaky, but that's about it. It subsided and continued to work for my depression. When I went off of EffexorXR last December, I had absolutely no withdrawals. What happened was that I fell into a deeper depression because, I believe, I stopped it, so I am now back on it.
I'm glad that it is working for you.
Hope this helped?
Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering if people that found it easy to go ON Effexor XR also found it easy to go OFF. I am one of the lucky folks that found it relatively easy to adjust to EXR, and it's working pretty well for me so far (unlike Zoloft, Paxil, and ESPECIALLY Prozac, all of which were nightmares, and Serzone, which didn't work). Did anyone who found it difficult to adjust also find it difficult to go off? You can see I'm hoping for a correlation here....

 

Effexor XR Morning or Night?

Posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

In reply to Effexor XR and Effexor XL, posted by Napaba on March 18, 2003, at 14:31:43

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Re: Effexor XR Morning or Night? jessi

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 23:02:35

In reply to Effexor XR Morning or Night?, posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

Hi jessi,
OMIGOSH!!! The same thing happened to me. I used to take EffexorXR in the morning, and it would do that exact same thing. I would feel tired, sleepy, and yawn about an hour after taking it, but then I would feel almost hyper-very peppy.
So, recently, I started taking it at night. I have been sleeping better, but this is just my experience. When I take it at night, I find that not only do I feel better in the morning: less shakiness, less sleepiness, and I am ready to start my day. But also, it helps to know that I don't need to take any meds in the morning. More important though, of course, is how you personally would respond to taking Effexor at night. All I can tell you is that taking it at night worked for me.
Hope this helped and all the best,
Kristen
PS-I also had nausea-but it subsided on Effexor, hang in there:-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
> I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
> Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Lithium+Effexor????

Posted by Troubled_Boy on March 25, 2003, at 0:29:05

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Thanks for all those who replied me last time.

Yesterday, my doc added 400mg of lithium to my 225mg of Effexor. She said that it will boost up the effect of the anti-depressant. Anyone with this combination and will like to share his/her experience with me?

Do lithium need a few weeks to take effect too?

I had relatively painful ejeculation after taking Effexor. Anyone with this problem? When will this side effect go off?

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated

Posted by xenna on March 25, 2003, at 1:36:41

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated, posted by juanantoniod on February 8, 2003, at 22:11:31

I am withdrawing from effexor and its terrible. I'm only on my fourth day,my head hurts along with the rest of my body.I am weak and dizzy and I feel like crap.I will never take this stuff again.

 

Re: Effexor and drinking wine

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 7:42:49

In reply to Effexor and drinking wine lovemybabies, posted by PuraVida on March 18, 2003, at 10:36:40

Beer tasted fine. I also had wine this weekend and it didn't taste strange this time. So maybe that's one of those things that goes away after the first couple of weeks or so.

Has anyone noticed that wine tastes funny? I didn't drink at all the first few weeks, and when I tried some of my favorite wine, I found a funny aftertaste, which I've continued to find with other wines I try. Hard alcohol is OK, beer I haven't tried.
>
> PV

 

Re: Effexor XR Morning or Night?

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 7:53:52

In reply to Effexor XR Morning or Night?, posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

I've found taking Effexor at night works for me. I'm more awake during the day and sleep better at night. Although I don't feel it's working for me. I've been on it for about 10 weeks and have anxiety and currently I'm very depressed. (for no real reason)

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
> I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
> Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 8:02:08

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... PuraVida, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:19:55

I have found my anxiety and PMS is worse sence Effexor. My doctor increased my dose. I'm feeling very depressed. I don't think this medication is working for me. It really scares me. Instead iof feeling better each day, I feel a little more depressed.

I to have the neck aches. Sometimes they hurt so bad I take Flexral (sp) and or vicadin (sp).

I just don't know if it's worth it. I've tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Paxil. Welbutrin was the best, but I had a hard time remembering to take it twice a day.

Any suggestions?

Hi PV,
> Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
> My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
> Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
> I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
> Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
> Brains chemicals are something else eh?
> I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
> Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hi Kristen,
>
> How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -
>
> PV
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 8:05:05

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:30:15

> I liked Wellbutrin. What was hard for me was remembering to take it twice a day. I had no side effects and noticed improvement right away.

Wow Don, yes, it did help a lot-thanks.
> It does sound like you are winning:-)
> That is wonderful. Sounds like your doc sure knew about weaning you off slowly.
> Both my pdoc and GP doc are considerate about giving samples-which often helps a lot of us.
> Can I ask again, lol, what you feel, for you, is the best thing about Wellbutrin and the worst thing about it-if any??? I have never tried Wellbutrin.
> Things like side effects, improving the depression, cravings for cigarettes, if you smoke and so on?
> Thanks again, Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello Krissy:
> The first time I tried going down from 300 to 225 for a week to 150 for a week then to 75 for a week then 37.5 for a week. Then I quit. In about 3 days all of the symptoms started and got worse. I started to read more about it on the internet and went in to see my doctor. Before I could get an appointment I had to go back to 75 a day to feel even reasonably bad. I had read about switching to webrutin. We worked out for me to stay at 75 while we got the welbutrin going. I took 100mg a day for a week then went to 200 a day for a week. Then I reduced the effexor xr to 37.5 for a week and was doing reasonable. I had another appointment with the doctor and we went to 300mg welbutrin and I dropped to 37.5 every 36 hours and this friday I will go to 37.5 every 48 hours for three days and then quit the effexor and stay on the welbutrin for a while. I feel confident that I am now winning. By the way since the 37.5 is not readily available (I think) the doctor gave me some of the start up kits that have 37.5 xr in them.
> > In summary. I could not in any way quit by going to 75 every other day. It is just too painful for my particular withdrawal problem.
>
> Hope that helps
> Don
> >
> >
> >
> > > Hi Don,
> > > Can I ask you something here please.
> > > I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
> > > I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
> > > Please let me know what you think?
> > > Thanks, Kristen
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
> > > Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
> > > To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
> > > Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.
> > >
> > > Don
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?

Posted by lovemybabies on March 25, 2003, at 8:33:44

In reply to ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?, posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

Hi--I had a relatively easy time starting Effexor. The biggest nuisance were the little muscle twitches that have since gone away. I was going through a two-week panic attack when I started so I probably didn't even notice the side effects. :) Honestly, I'm not worried about withdrawal. I'm taking 150mg. and plan to taper when I do quit.

 

Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation? lovemybabies

Posted by Paco on March 25, 2003, at 9:11:25

In reply to Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?, posted by lovemybabies on March 25, 2003, at 8:33:44

Yeah, I'm taking 150mg also, and have been for just about a week. I started at 75mg just 16 days ago. My doc also hinted that he might have me taper back down to 75mg after I've taken it for a month. I will surely ask him for a couple of weeks worth of 37.5mg caps to taper down! These withdrawl horror stories are sure not encouraging, but I'm sure a couple of weeks of withdrawl beats several years of severe depression.
=================================================
> Hi--I had a relatively easy time starting Effexor. The biggest nuisance were the little muscle twitches that have since gone away. I was going through a two-week panic attack when I started so I probably didn't even notice the side effects. :) Honestly, I'm not worried about withdrawal. I'm taking 150mg. and plan to taper when I do quit.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated juanantoniod

Posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 10:01:03

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated, posted by juanantoniod on February 8, 2003, at 22:11:31

I took Effexor for a while until it stopped working. Like a previous poster, I would accept the side effects for the benefit without question. Withdrawal occurs (mostly) when it is stopped abruptly. When ramped down slowly, there should be no problem.
>
> FWIW YMMV


IN REPLY TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE: YOU SAY YOU TOOK EFFEXOR FOR A WHILE UNTIL IT STOPPED WORKING....WELL, YOU MUST NOT HAVE TAKEN MUCH TO NOT HAVE THE SIDE AFFECTS EVERYONE ELSE IS EXPERIENCING. I WAS ON 150MG FOR 3 YRS, AND HAVE TAPPERED OFF OVER A TWO WEEK PERIOD LIKE MY DR. ADVISED. NOW I AM COMPLETELY OFF, AND I CAN BARELY STAND BECAUSE THE DIZZINESS AND NAUSEA ARE SO BAD. I ALSO EXPERIENCE "ELECTRICAL SHOCKS" THAT CAUSE MY ARMS, LEGS AND CHEEKS AND LIPS TO GO COMPLETELY NUMB. THESE LITTLE SHOCKS ARE ABOUT TWICE A MINUTE. SO, AFTER READING ALL THE POSTS REGARDING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS, YOU MAY NOT WANT TO SAY THAT THEY ARE OVERRATED. I HARDLY THINK THAT A RATIO OF 100's:1 IS SAYING WITHDRAWALS ARE AN IMAGINATION. I SURE HOPE YOU DON'T FIND A HUGE MASS OF "OVERRATED SYMPTOM SUFFERERS" ON YOUR DOORSTEP; IF ANY OF THEM FEEL LIKE I DO, THEY WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS KILLING SOMETHING!

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE EXPERIENCING THE "REAL, NON OVERRATED" WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS, HANG IN THERE. WE CAN BEAT THIS.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Napaba

Posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 10:11:54

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......, posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 8:02:08

Hi there, After getting no sleep last night, I am beginning to think I have had Effexor poop out-It has worked for me in the past-but it doesn't seem to be working well now. I think it is increasing my mania and it isn't doing much for the depression at the moment. What was your experience with Wellbutrin? What made it the best for you?

I'm here:-)
Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I have found my anxiety and PMS is worse sence Effexor. My doctor increased my dose. I'm feeling very depressed. I don't think this medication is working for me. It really scares me. Instead iof feeling better each day, I feel a little more depressed.
>
> I to have the neck aches. Sometimes they hurt so bad I take Flexral (sp) and or vicadin (sp).
>
> I just don't know if it's worth it. I've tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Paxil. Welbutrin was the best, but I had a hard time remembering to take it twice a day.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Hi PV,
> > Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
> > My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
> > Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
> > I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
> > Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
> > Brains chemicals are something else eh?
> > I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
> > Kristen
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Hi Kristen,
> >
> > How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -
> >
> > PV
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious

Posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 10:40:04

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious, posted by lovemybabies on March 24, 2003, at 16:09:08

> Ok, I don't get it. I'm on Effexor now and am SO thankful for this drug. No, my doctor didn't 'warn' me of withdrawal problems; I think if someone puts an idea in your head, then you make it come true. Doctors probably steer clear of mentioning all the negatives right at the get-go for this reason. In my case, I was seriously depressed/anxiety-ridden and needed chemical intervention FAST. It's the first antidepressant I've been on and it's worked wonders for me. Also, I know two people personally who experienced only minor withdrawal symptoms, lasting only a couple of weeks. They tapered. Said it was like cycling through the start-up symptoms, only at a faster rate. No big deal.

-------------------------------------------------
I, like you, was depressed and needed a quick fix. This drug worked wonders for the depression, but I started to get a little nervous when I missed a dose, even by a hour. I would get so dizzy, nauseous, and would have horrid electrical shocks. I started doing some researching, and have found so many article about the dangers of Effexor that I went to my doctor and started the tappering off program. The withdrawal symptoms have been horrible. I have had to take time off work because I have passed out a few times (I have only been completely off the drug for 5 days) in the last 4 days, I have vomited, I am extremely dizzy and have had the electrical shocks constantly. As far as returning depression, I haven't noticed any. The main articles that got my attention were these: neurological side-effects represent abnormalitites in the "motor system":induced Parkisnsonism, Muscle Spasms and "Tardive Dyskinesia; SSRI's cause shriveled and corkscrew shaped brain cells; SSRI induced hypoglycemia and raised cortisol levels cause brain cells to die; SSRI toxicity by inhibition of cytochrome P450 isoenzymes; combining SSRIs can cause stroke; and so many more articles. Serotonin Syndrome is a major problem with both SSRI's and SNRI's. Even though effexor is not a SSRI, but a SNRI, both are extremely similar in problems brought on. Some people have suffered from irreversible brain damage. For me, there has to be a different way to treat depression than letting my brain and internal organs become guinea pigs for the medical world. I am happy for you whose medication have helped as mine did, just don't disregard the facts that eventually these drugs can damage you dramatically.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious ndavis

Posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 10:49:21

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious, posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 10:40:04

Can I please have those links you talk about here?
thanks:-)
gotta do some research on this Effexor-it seems it has pooped out on me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, like you, was depressed and needed a quick fix. This drug worked wonders for the depression, but I started to get a little nervous when I missed a dose, even by a hour. I would get so dizzy, nauseous, and would have horrid electrical shocks. I started doing some researching, and have found so many article about the dangers of Effexor that I went to my doctor and started the tappering off program. The withdrawal symptoms have been horrible. I have had to take time off work because I have passed out a few times (I have only been completely off the drug for 5 days) in the last 4 days, I have vomited, I am extremely dizzy and have had the electrical shocks constantly. As far as returning depression, I haven't noticed any. The main articles that got my attention were these: neurological side-effects represent abnormalitites in the "motor system":induced Parkisnsonism, Muscle Spasms and "Tardive Dyskinesia; SSRI's cause shriveled and corkscrew shaped brain cells; SSRI induced hypoglycemia and raised cortisol levels cause brain cells to die; SSRI toxicity by inhibition of cytochrome P450 isoenzymes; combining SSRIs can cause stroke; and so many more articles. Serotonin Syndrome is a major problem with both SSRI's and SNRI's. Even though effexor is not a SSRI, but a SNRI, both are extremely similar in problems brought on. Some people have suffered from irreversible brain damage. For me, there has to be a different way to treat depression than letting my brain and internal organs become guinea pigs for the medical world. I am happy for you whose medication have helped as mine did, just don't disregard the facts that eventually these drugs can damage you dramatically.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 11:01:54

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Napaba, posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 10:11:54

I liked the Welbutrin because it didn't have any side effects. From what I've read it seemed to be the safest. It does not effect Serrotonin (sp)it works on another chemical in the brain. I'm not a Dr. this is something I read.

I couldn't remember to take it twice a day. This could be why it didn't work well for me, when I did take it I felt good. I still had some depression and anxiety. But no one is happy all the time. I was able to function and didn't feel drugged and tired. I'm actually considering asking my Dr. if I can switch to Wellbutrin and make a true effort to take it each morning and evening. Because if I remember correctly I didn't have this much anxiety on Wellbutrin or before I started taking Effexor. I also have Zannax. I try not to take it often, but I do use it when the anxiety is more then I can handle or if I'm having trouble sleeping. I really like the Zannex, but I know it's addictive and I don't want to be dependent on it.


If you don't mind sharing what is Mania? Is it anxiety? The up feeling?

Hi there, After getting no sleep last night, I am beginning to think I have had Effexor poop out-It has worked for me in the past-but it doesn't seem to be working well now. I think it is increasing my mania and it isn't doing much for the depression at the moment. What was your experience with Wellbutrin? What made it the best for you?
>
> I'm here:-)
> Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > I have found my anxiety and PMS is worse sence Effexor. My doctor increased my dose. I'm feeling very depressed. I don't think this medication is working for me. It really scares me. Instead iof feeling better each day, I feel a little more depressed.
> >
> > I to have the neck aches. Sometimes they hurt so bad I take Flexral (sp) and or vicadin (sp).
> >
> > I just don't know if it's worth it. I've tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Paxil. Welbutrin was the best, but I had a hard time remembering to take it twice a day.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Hi PV,
> > > Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
> > > My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
> > > Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
> > > I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
> > > Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
> > > Brains chemicals are something else eh?
> > > I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
> > > Kristen
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Hi Kristen,
> > >
> > > How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -
> > >
> > > PV
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious Krissy P

Posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 12:32:33

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious ndavis, posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 10:49:21

This is the link where I started, from there each link took me somewhere else. I have also just used the search engine and typed in "effexor" and "withdrawal" and got hundreds of pages...

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/side-effects.htm

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Napaba

Posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 13:19:38

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......, posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 11:01:54

Hi Napaba,
Thanks so much for the reply. I am going to do a search on it. I like that you read that it is the safest-I will have to check that out. I also didn't know it doesn't work on serotonin? wow
I got some reading to do. lol
My brother is on it and it seems to work with his Zoloft, and we have the same blood, etc. I am definately going to talk to my pdoc Friday about going on it and stopping the Effexor. I have posted about the fact that the manufacturers of Effexor have stated to doctors to use caution when prescribing Effexor to BP's and if I am still a little bipolar or BP II-then it really isn't a med I should be on. (I have just come to this realization a few days ago)
I'm also on Klonopin and I am aware of the addictive properties benzos have too-so I try to just stay at 2mg a day. My friend takes 4mg and my brother sometimes takes 8mg a day-way too much for me.
Anyway, don't mind ya asking at all, in my own words here and from what I have learned, mania is a mental state (mood) that is characterized by extreme "highs" like overspending, grandiose feelings, sexual promiscuity, extremely happy or up, but in the DSMIV-it states that it can be dangerous and obviously affect one's functionality in daily living, holding down a job, relationships, and the list goes on.
I don't think it is as much as anxiety as it is just over-happiness if that makes sense, a person, when manic, feels on top of the world, nothing and no one bothers them, etc. I think that when someone has mania, if they seem anxious to others they may not realize they are because they are so "up" and just in an extremely different and very happy mood. I could go into Psych terms but I can explain it better when I think about what I have read, learned, and experienced.
Hope this helped.
:-)
kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I liked the Welbutrin because it didn't have any side effects. From what I've read it seemed to be the safest. It does not effect Serrotonin (sp)it works on another chemical in the brain. I'm not a Dr. this is something I read.
>
> I couldn't remember to take it twice a day. This could be why it didn't work well for me, when I did take it I felt good. I still had some depression and anxiety. But no one is happy all the time. I was able to function and didn't feel drugged and tired. I'm actually considering asking my Dr. if I can switch to Wellbutrin and make a true effort to take it each morning and evening. Because if I remember correctly I didn't have this much anxiety on Wellbutrin or before I started taking Effexor. I also have Zannax. I try not to take it often, but I do use it when the anxiety is more then I can handle or if I'm having trouble sleeping. I really like the Zannex, but I know it's addictive and I don't want to be dependent on it.


If you don't mind sharing what is Mania? Is it anxiety? The up feeling?

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 13:28:14

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious Krissy P, posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 12:32:33

Wow, I just returned from the site you referenced. Really makes you think about the side effects and if it's worth it.


This is the link where I started, from there each link took me somewhere else. I have also just used the search engine and typed in "effexor" and "withdrawal" and got hundreds of pages...
>
> http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/side-effects.htm

 

Thanks! (nm)

Posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 13:29:31

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious Krissy P, posted by ndavis on March 25, 2003, at 12:32:33

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 14:53:49

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Napaba, posted by Krissy P on March 25, 2003, at 13:19:38

Thanks Kristen, So mania could be when I feel like I'm in a great mood and talk nonstop and can't shut up. I think I know what your describing. I checked out the web site recommended in an earlier post. It really makes me want to get off this stuff.

--Christine


> Hi Napaba,
> Thanks so much for the reply. I am going to do a search on it. I like that you read that it is the safest-I will have to check that out. I also didn't know it doesn't work on serotonin? wow
> I got some reading to do. lol
> My brother is on it and it seems to work with his Zoloft, and we have the same blood, etc. I am definately going to talk to my pdoc Friday about going on it and stopping the Effexor. I have posted about the fact that the manufacturers of Effexor have stated to doctors to use caution when prescribing Effexor to BP's and if I am still a little bipolar or BP II-then it really isn't a med I should be on. (I have just come to this realization a few days ago)
> I'm also on Klonopin and I am aware of the addictive properties benzos have too-so I try to just stay at 2mg a day. My friend takes 4mg and my brother sometimes takes 8mg a day-way too much for me.
> Anyway, don't mind ya asking at all, in my own words here and from what I have learned, mania is a mental state (mood) that is characterized by extreme "highs" like overspending, grandiose feelings, sexual promiscuity, extremely happy or up, but in the DSMIV-it states that it can be dangerous and obviously affect one's functionality in daily living, holding down a job, relationships, and the list goes on.
> I don't think it is as much as anxiety as it is just over-happiness if that makes sense, a person, when manic, feels on top of the world, nothing and no one bothers them, etc. I think that when someone has mania, if they seem anxious to others they may not realize they are because they are so "up" and just in an extremely different and very happy mood. I could go into Psych terms but I can explain it better when I think about what I have read, learned, and experienced.
> Hope this helped.
> :-)
> kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > I liked the Welbutrin because it didn't have any side effects. From what I've read it seemed to be the safest. It does not effect Serrotonin (sp)it works on another chemical in the brain. I'm not a Dr. this is something I read.
> >
> > I couldn't remember to take it twice a day. This could be why it didn't work well for me, when I did take it I felt good. I still had some depression and anxiety. But no one is happy all the time. I was able to function and didn't feel drugged and tired. I'm actually considering asking my Dr. if I can switch to Wellbutrin and make a true effort to take it each morning and evening. Because if I remember correctly I didn't have this much anxiety on Wellbutrin or before I started taking Effexor. I also have Zannax. I try not to take it often, but I do use it when the anxiety is more then I can handle or if I'm having trouble sleeping. I really like the Zannex, but I know it's addictive and I don't want to be dependent on it.
>
>
> If you don't mind sharing what is Mania? Is it anxiety? The up feeling?
>
>


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.