Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 87525

Shown: posts 1 to 9 of 9. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR

Posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 12:07:25

Well, saw my doc after 3 weeks of Effexor XR 37.5mg.
I did not know my dx, but now I do. Chronic depression (I went to see her for that) + anxiety. Hence, the Effexor XR, which is supposed to help both.

Talked for a long time and she decided to keep me on 37.5mg for a second month, much to my surprise and to my contentment, I must say. There have been improvements, and I still have some side effects, so we are going slowly. She thinks I'll get more benefits at this low dosage in the next month.

I'd been taking it with lunch to avoid wanting to sleep all afternoon and insomnia at night, but now I am going back to taking it in the morning, starting tomorrow.

She also said that my reading postings and writing here is a sign of anxiety, that I should relax more about this process and do more social/pleasant things... find a hobby and not spend too much time on the web. I will still participate here, but she's right up to a point, I've been pretty stressed out with taking meds. So I'll try to monitor myself and read/write to Psycho-Babble less often. And I've been wanting to draw and paint again for the longest time, so that's what I'll do.

I like this doc because she also believes in cognitive and behavioral therapy, along with meds and it coincides with my beliefs. And she is right: I have trouble trusting people, including her. I still think it's OK though, healthy, up to a point. I am often pushing it too far, being skeptical about people and things... need to relax.

Anyway, I needed to share that for some reason. I am surprised to stay at 37.5 mg, but glad at the same time, for now. I will write and read some more, but not so often. That's a reasonable thing to try.

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR

Posted by Guinnee Pig on December 20, 2001, at 12:22:53

In reply to back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 12:07:25

Hey Sid ... Glad to hear you want to paint and draw. I am also an artist and I know how hard it can be to not want to do any of the things you love. My experience at art school was ruined due to anxiety and depression episodes that would keep me out of class usually for the last half of the semester or more. $24,000 a year and nothing to show for it. :-/ Anyway ~ My main reason for writing is to ask about side effects to effexor b/c I am currently coming off 500mg of Serzone that I took for about a year that isn't working and made me extremely dizzy...I was also on Buspar only for a month because it made me even more lightheaded and I could hardly get out of bed. It would be extremely helpful to know your experience with any side effects so I know what to expect if I move to Effexor. Have you tried others? I know everyone reacts different, but it's still usefull knowledge to know about the history of the drugs. Thanks Kristin

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR sid

Posted by janejj on December 20, 2001, at 12:27:53

In reply to back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 12:07:25

Hi Sid,

Glad to hear that you're feeling better ! I guess posting here is a sign of anxiety! My boyfriend is contantly telling me off for being here. I'm glad to say though, that since I've been getting better i've visited less frequently, although it almost feels as though I'm addicted.

Good luck with the painting and drawing,

Take Care
Jane

Well, saw my doc after 3 weeks of Effexor XR 37.5mg.
> I did not know my dx, but now I do. Chronic depression (I went to see her for that) + anxiety. Hence, the Effexor XR, which is supposed to help both.
>
> Talked for a long time and she decided to keep me on 37.5mg for a second month, much to my surprise and to my contentment, I must say. There have been improvements, and I still have some side effects, so we are going slowly. She thinks I'll get more benefits at this low dosage in the next month.
>
> I'd been taking it with lunch to avoid wanting to sleep all afternoon and insomnia at night, but now I am going back to taking it in the morning, starting tomorrow.
>
> She also said that my reading postings and writing here is a sign of anxiety, that I should relax more about this process and do more social/pleasant things... find a hobby and not spend too much time on the web. I will still participate here, but she's right up to a point, I've been pretty stressed out with taking meds. So I'll try to monitor myself and read/write to Psycho-Babble less often. And I've been wanting to draw and paint again for the longest time, so that's what I'll do.
>
> I like this doc because she also believes in cognitive and behavioral therapy, along with meds and it coincides with my beliefs. And she is right: I have trouble trusting people, including her. I still think it's OK though, healthy, up to a point. I am often pushing it too far, being skeptical about people and things... need to relax.
>
> Anyway, I needed to share that for some reason. I am surprised to stay at 37.5 mg, but glad at the same time, for now. I will write and read some more, but not so often. That's a reasonable thing to try.

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR Guinnee Pig

Posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 13:00:39

In reply to Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by Guinnee Pig on December 20, 2001, at 12:22:53

Hi Kristin,
thanks for your message.

I'm on the lowest possible dose of Effexor XR, so my experience is limited with it; I started 3 weeks ago. I have never tried anything else in temrs of meds; I used psychotherapy (cognitive and behavioral) and acupuncture to get out of major depression. Now I've turned to meds recently because I realized I'd had chronic depression since adolescence, and I considered I'd done what I could in terms of cognitive and behavioral therapy - it was time for me to try meds.

Note that 37.5mg is not listed anywhere as being effective for major depression, but I've had some benefits with chronic depression and I am more sociable. That's why I am surprised that my doc wants me to continue at 37.5 mg. You usually go to 75 and then 125 rather rapidly.

The side effects I've had are pretty standard I guess. They were strong in the first 5 days but now I have few and they don't bother me.
- sleep-related effects (sleepy during the day, insomnia at night): I switched to taking the capsule at noon rather than morning for a while but will go back to mornings tomorrow.
- less appetite, especially no cravings for carbs anymore (that's a good thing for me b/c my depression makes me sleep and eat too much!)
- some weight loss (some people gain weight); about 7lbs in 3 weeks without trying.
- headaches, but slight ones - they don't really bother me; some people have them stronger
- increased bruxism (might be the cause of the slight headaches in fact)
- Toughest: felt stoned the first 3 days - could not drive or do much of anything that required concentration; had dilated pupils. This does not happen to everybody, but some others have reported it on these pages. Been fine since and my concentration is better than before in general.

General rules, from what I've read:
With Effexor XR (extended realease), it is said that there are less side effects than with Effexor. Also, start at 37.5 mg and increase dosage only when side effects that bother you have subsided. Taking it with food helps to avoid nausea. I have not had nausea at all, but that's one of the common initial side effects.

I hope it helps. You might want to ask others who know about Serzone too; thay might know more about transition issues.

> Hey Sid ... Glad to hear you want to paint and draw. I am also an artist and I know how hard it can be to not want to do any of the things you love. My experience at art school was ruined due to anxiety and depression episodes that would keep me out of class usually for the last half of the semester or more. $24,000 a year and nothing to show for it. :-/ Anyway ~ My main reason for writing is to ask about side effects to effexor b/c I am currently coming off 500mg of Serzone that I took for about a year that isn't working and made me extremely dizzy...I was also on Buspar only for a month because it made me even more lightheaded and I could hardly get out of bed. It would be extremely helpful to know your experience with any side effects so I know what to expect if I move to Effexor. Have you tried others? I know everyone reacts different, but it's still usefull knowledge to know about the history of the drugs. Thanks Kristin

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR

Posted by kid_A on December 20, 2001, at 14:01:11

In reply to back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 12:07:25


Hello Sid,
I was on effexor xr 37.5mg for the longest time and I must say I experienced the most side effects during this time. Even when I increased my dosage to three times a day at 37.5 I was experiencing side effects. Now I'm glad to say that at 75mg taken twice a day (once in the morning, the other at 8:00pm) I have by and large no side effects whatsoever.

All things said, stick with what you are comfortable, though I doubt your doctor's assertion that you'll receive some therapeudic benefits staying at 37.5. What should happen though is that your brain should start to get used to the rewiring being done w/ your receptors.

I'd like to say that I also highly disagree with your doctor as concerns posting/reading this message board... While it is one thing to overstress yourself by reading other people horror stories concerning the medication you are on, I think however that this board is very very benificial in the means of both social therapy and information gleaned from others who have been down the same road you are traversing now.

I hope that you'll take my words to heart, there is a lot to learn here, and there are many kind people to both talk to and to gain advice, both for daily life as well as medication.

Stay well, and keep at it.

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - jane and sid

Posted by Cindylou on December 20, 2001, at 14:50:19

In reply to back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 12:07:25

Hi Jane and Sid,

First, Sid I am so glad the Effexor is working for you ... the desire to paint and draw again is a very good sign. You may be able to stay at 37.5 the whole time -- I believe that is the lowest therapeutic dose.

I am (or used to be) a writer, but lost the desire to write years ago. Every now and then I'll get the inkling to write again, but it usually fades. Hopefully I'll get it back someday when the right meds and therapy start to kick in.

About posting and reading this board, I agree with both you and kid_A -- this board has been extremely helpful and healing to me, not only because it gives me information and insights, but also because it gives me a chance to share my experiences with others and hopefully use my struggle with meds and my mood disorder to some advantage.

HOWEVER, I definitely notice that when I start to feel better, I visit the board a little less often ... like, instead of 4 or 5 times a day, I may visit it 4 or 5 times a week. I think once a day is fine. More than that -- well, that's a bit much! But less than 4 or 5 times a week gets tough, because there are so many new posts to read and catch up on. Just my 2 cents here, for whatever that's worth.

JANE, about the Effexor side effects .. for me, it was utter and complete exhaustion and heavy headedness -- like the worst hangover I have ever had. Ironically, my doctor said that higher doses may cause less side effects, so we went up to 150 mg pretty quickly. The side effects remained, but were much more manageable at the higher dose.

Just a note, in case you run into the same thing I did.

I also lost weight on it. :-}

Best of luck to both of you!
- cindy

> Well, saw my doc after 3 weeks of Effexor XR 37.5mg.
> I did not know my dx, but now I do. Chronic depression (I went to see her for that) + anxiety. Hence, the Effexor XR, which is supposed to help both.
>
> Talked for a long time and she decided to keep me on 37.5mg for a second month, much to my surprise and to my contentment, I must say. There have been improvements, and I still have some side effects, so we are going slowly. She thinks I'll get more benefits at this low dosage in the next month.
>
> I'd been taking it with lunch to avoid wanting to sleep all afternoon and insomnia at night, but now I am going back to taking it in the morning, starting tomorrow.
>
> She also said that my reading postings and writing here is a sign of anxiety, that I should relax more about this process and do more social/pleasant things... find a hobby and not spend too much time on the web. I will still participate here, but she's right up to a point, I've been pretty stressed out with taking meds. So I'll try to monitor myself and read/write to Psycho-Babble less often. And I've been wanting to draw and paint again for the longest time, so that's what I'll do.
>
> I like this doc because she also believes in cognitive and behavioral therapy, along with meds and it coincides with my beliefs. And she is right: I have trouble trusting people, including her. I still think it's OK though, healthy, up to a point. I am often pushing it too far, being skeptical about people and things... need to relax.
>
> Anyway, I needed to share that for some reason. I am surprised to stay at 37.5 mg, but glad at the same time, for now. I will write and read some more, but not so often. That's a reasonable thing to try.

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR

Posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 15:06:58

In reply to Re: back from the doctor's office - Effexor XR, posted by kid_A on December 20, 2001, at 14:01:11

Still here ! On a break form work...
I understand what you say. I do agree with my doctor however that I have anxiety and that I may be overdoing it (Psycho Babble, etc.). I think she's just trying to get me to do stuff that I like, which I have stopped doing and not started back for some reason, instead of worrying about the meds. I did tell her that I'd continue getting info and talking to others about it because it is important to me and stressful at the same time. I don't like meds, so yes I am definitely anxious about it, as well as about many other things in my life. I will at the same time make sure that I spend less time looking for info and spend more time enjoying life.

Anyway, don't worry, I took some of what she said and I left some... I do need to have more fun in my life however, we both agreed on that. Psycho Babble is interesting, but not exactly fun. Thanks for your message !

> Hello Sid,
> I was on effexor xr 37.5mg for the longest time and I must say I experienced the most side effects during this time. Even when I increased my dosage to three times a day at 37.5 I was experiencing side effects. Now I'm glad to say that at 75mg taken twice a day (once in the morning, the other at 8:00pm) I have by and large no side effects whatsoever.
>
> All things said, stick with what you are comfortable, though I doubt your doctor's assertion that you'll receive some therapeudic benefits staying at 37.5. What should happen though is that your brain should start to get used to the rewiring being done w/ your receptors.
>
> I'd like to say that I also highly disagree with your doctor as concerns posting/reading this message board... While it is one thing to overstress yourself by reading other people horror stories concerning the medication you are on, I think however that this board is very very benificial in the means of both social therapy and information gleaned from others who have been down the same road you are traversing now.
>
> I hope that you'll take my words to heart, there is a lot to learn here, and there are many kind people to both talk to and to gain advice, both for daily life as well as medication.
>
> Stay well, and keep at it.

 

Re: back from the doctor's office - jane and sid

Posted by sid on December 20, 2001, at 15:14:11

In reply to Re: back from the doctor's office - jane and sid, posted by Cindylou on December 20, 2001, at 14:50:19

Hi Cindy,
thanks for your message.
Yeah, I'm thinking once a day would be fine; would permit me to keep updated and follow threads easily, and it would not be exaggerated.

37.5mg is the lowest available dose of Effexor XR, it is not listed anywhere as effective for major depression but I have chronic depression; so far it it seems to help with the depression, I am not sure about the anxiety. I am still pretty anxious, but then I've always been that way so I'm not sure what it's like not to be. It's always difficult to know what is part of the disease and what is just part of you, a trait of character which may not be so great about you, but which has nothing to do with an illness. Anyway, I won't sweat it. That's an un-anxious thing to do !

Best to you.


> Hi Jane and Sid,
>
> First, Sid I am so glad the Effexor is working for you ... the desire to paint and draw again is a very good sign. You may be able to stay at 37.5 the whole time -- I believe that is the lowest therapeutic dose.
>
> I am (or used to be) a writer, but lost the desire to write years ago. Every now and then I'll get the inkling to write again, but it usually fades. Hopefully I'll get it back someday when the right meds and therapy start to kick in.
>
> About posting and reading this board, I agree with both you and kid_A -- this board has been extremely helpful and healing to me, not only because it gives me information and insights, but also because it gives me a chance to share my experiences with others and hopefully use my struggle with meds and my mood disorder to some advantage.
>
> HOWEVER, I definitely notice that when I start to feel better, I visit the board a little less often ... like, instead of 4 or 5 times a day, I may visit it 4 or 5 times a week. I think once a day is fine. More than that -- well, that's a bit much! But less than 4 or 5 times a week gets tough, because there are so many new posts to read and catch up on. Just my 2 cents here, for whatever that's worth.
>
> JANE, about the Effexor side effects .. for me, it was utter and complete exhaustion and heavy headedness -- like the worst hangover I have ever had. Ironically, my doctor said that higher doses may cause less side effects, so we went up to 150 mg pretty quickly. The side effects remained, but were much more manageable at the higher dose.
>
> Just a note, in case you run into the same thing I did.
>
> I also lost weight on it. :-}
>
> Best of luck to both of you!
> - cindy
>
>
>
> > Well, saw my doc after 3 weeks of Effexor XR 37.5mg.
> > I did not know my dx, but now I do. Chronic depression (I went to see her for that) + anxiety. Hence, the Effexor XR, which is supposed to help both.
> >
> > Talked for a long time and she decided to keep me on 37.5mg for a second month, much to my surprise and to my contentment, I must say. There have been improvements, and I still have some side effects, so we are going slowly. She thinks I'll get more benefits at this low dosage in the next month.
> >
> > I'd been taking it with lunch to avoid wanting to sleep all afternoon and insomnia at night, but now I am going back to taking it in the morning, starting tomorrow.
> >
> > She also said that my reading postings and writing here is a sign of anxiety, that I should relax more about this process and do more social/pleasant things... find a hobby and not spend too much time on the web. I will still participate here, but she's right up to a point, I've been pretty stressed out with taking meds. So I'll try to monitor myself and read/write to Psycho-Babble less often. And I've been wanting to draw and paint again for the longest time, so that's what I'll do.
> >
> > I like this doc because she also believes in cognitive and behavioral therapy, along with meds and it coincides with my beliefs. And she is right: I have trouble trusting people, including her. I still think it's OK though, healthy, up to a point. I am often pushing it too far, being skeptical about people and things... need to relax.
> >
> > Anyway, I needed to share that for some reason. I am surprised to stay at 37.5 mg, but glad at the same time, for now. I will write and read some more, but not so often. That's a reasonable thing to try.

 

Cindylou Cindylou

Posted by janejj on December 21, 2001, at 14:03:48

In reply to Re: back from the doctor's office - jane and sid, posted by Cindylou on December 20, 2001, at 14:50:19

Hi Cindylou,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it ! Have a great holiday.

Jane

Hi Jane and Sid,
>
> First, Sid I am so glad the Effexor is working for you ... the desire to paint and draw again is a very good sign. You may be able to stay at 37.5 the whole time -- I believe that is the lowest therapeutic dose.
>
> I am (or used to be) a writer, but lost the desire to write years ago. Every now and then I'll get the inkling to write again, but it usually fades. Hopefully I'll get it back someday when the right meds and therapy start to kick in.
>
> About posting and reading this board, I agree with both you and kid_A -- this board has been extremely helpful and healing to me, not only because it gives me information and insights, but also because it gives me a chance to share my experiences with others and hopefully use my struggle with meds and my mood disorder to some advantage.
>
> HOWEVER, I definitely notice that when I start to feel better, I visit the board a little less often ... like, instead of 4 or 5 times a day, I may visit it 4 or 5 times a week. I think once a day is fine. More than that -- well, that's a bit much! But less than 4 or 5 times a week gets tough, because there are so many new posts to read and catch up on. Just my 2 cents here, for whatever that's worth.
>
> JANE, about the Effexor side effects .. for me, it was utter and complete exhaustion and heavy headedness -- like the worst hangover I have ever had. Ironically, my doctor said that higher doses may cause less side effects, so we went up to 150 mg pretty quickly. The side effects remained, but were much more manageable at the higher dose.
>
> Just a note, in case you run into the same thing I did.
>
> I also lost weight on it. :-}
>
> Best of luck to both of you!
> - cindy
>
>
>
> > Well, saw my doc after 3 weeks of Effexor XR 37.5mg.
> > I did not know my dx, but now I do. Chronic depression (I went to see her for that) + anxiety. Hence, the Effexor XR, which is supposed to help both.
> >
> > Talked for a long time and she decided to keep me on 37.5mg for a second month, much to my surprise and to my contentment, I must say. There have been improvements, and I still have some side effects, so we are going slowly. She thinks I'll get more benefits at this low dosage in the next month.
> >
> > I'd been taking it with lunch to avoid wanting to sleep all afternoon and insomnia at night, but now I am going back to taking it in the morning, starting tomorrow.
> >
> > She also said that my reading postings and writing here is a sign of anxiety, that I should relax more about this process and do more social/pleasant things... find a hobby and not spend too much time on the web. I will still participate here, but she's right up to a point, I've been pretty stressed out with taking meds. So I'll try to monitor myself and read/write to Psycho-Babble less often. And I've been wanting to draw and paint again for the longest time, so that's what I'll do.
> >
> > I like this doc because she also believes in cognitive and behavioral therapy, along with meds and it coincides with my beliefs. And she is right: I have trouble trusting people, including her. I still think it's OK though, healthy, up to a point. I am often pushing it too far, being skeptical about people and things... need to relax.
> >
> > Anyway, I needed to share that for some reason. I am surprised to stay at 37.5 mg, but glad at the same time, for now. I will write and read some more, but not so often. That's a reasonable thing to try.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.