Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 80156

Shown: posts 1 to 16 of 16. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Drugs in the pipeline...

Posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:18:59

Nice page for new drugs in the pipeline.


Depression:

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/search.asp


Bipolar Disorder:

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/search.asp


- Scott

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline...

Posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:36:55

In reply to Drugs in the pipeline..., posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:18:59

Sorry.

Just use this one:

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/

The search list is at the bottom of the page.

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline...

Posted by petter on October 3, 2001, at 12:46:00

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline..., posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:36:55

> Sorry.
>
> Just use this one:
>
> http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/
>
> The search list is at the bottom of the page.

Hi Scott...

I most say that it is so nice to se how suportiv your are, to all folks you answer. I saw that Ziprasidone gave you some side efect. Im very sorry for that, since I know you had many med combo trial during severel years. What about Citalopram, insted of Ziprasidone to you current mix.

I have suffering for many years in a refractary depression. Im a mental healt professional in Stockholm. I have find a 90% recovery in my current combo: Venlaflaxine+Mirazepine+Litium+Ziprasidone.

I Wish you all the best....

Sincerely

Petters

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline...

Posted by Mitch on October 3, 2001, at 12:48:04

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline..., posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:36:55

> Sorry.
>
> Just use this one:
>
> http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/
>
> The search list is at the bottom of the page.

Scott,

Thanks a lot for that link! Do you have any information about "substance P" antagonists and/or neurokinin (NK) receptors? One of these drugs is being developed by Merck and is in phase III trials for bipolar, anxiety, and depression. I have never seen a post here about the neurokinin receptors and related research.

Mitch

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline... petter

Posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 13:24:32

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline..., posted by petter on October 3, 2001, at 12:46:00

> Hi Scott...
>
> I most say that it is so nice to se how suportiv your are, to all folks you answer. I saw that Ziprasidone gave you some side efect. Im very sorry for that, since I know you had many med combo trial during severel years. What about Citalopram, insted of Ziprasidone to you current mix.
>
> I have suffering for many years in a refractary depression. Im a mental healt professional in Stockholm. I have find a 90% recovery in my current combo: Venlaflaxine+Mirazepine+Litium+Ziprasidone.
>
> I Wish you all the best....
>
> Sincerely
>
> Petters


Hi Petter.

Maybe we have the same doctor!

Just yesterday, he decided that he wanted to try venlafaxine + mirtazepine + ziprasidone + lamotrigine. I think he is also leaning towards citalopram if we are to try an SSRI.

I will consider trying lithium again in the future. I'll take 90%!

Thanks for the kind words and the great suggestions.

Stay well.


Sincerely,
Scott

 

Is ziprasidone available in Canada? Thnx.. (nm)

Posted by jay on October 4, 2001, at 3:52:18

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline... petter, posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 13:24:32

 

Re: Is ziprasidone available in Canada? - Nope (nm)

Posted by Cam W. on October 4, 2001, at 4:30:21

In reply to Is ziprasidone available in Canada? Thnx.. (nm), posted by jay on October 4, 2001, at 3:52:18

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline... SLS

Posted by Noa on October 5, 2001, at 15:37:46

In reply to Drugs in the pipeline..., posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 11:18:59

Thanks for the link.

 

Ditto to what Noa said Scott (nm)

Posted by Cam W. on October 5, 2001, at 17:25:06

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline... SLS, posted by Noa on October 5, 2001, at 15:37:46

 

Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Cam W.

Posted by Mitch on October 5, 2001, at 22:15:17

In reply to Ditto to what Noa said Scott (nm), posted by Cam W. on October 5, 2001, at 17:25:06

Cam,

Can you tell me anything new about the phase III trials that are underway for Merck's MK-869 NK-1 receptor antagonist (or anything illustrative about NK receptors role in bipolar)? I did some hunting and found this has been about since 1998 or so-but I had not been actively investigating any new meds during that time, and am quite interested since they are currently in phase III for bipolar disorder.
Thanks in advance,

Mitch

 

Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Mitch

Posted by Cam W. on October 6, 2001, at 23:22:14

In reply to Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Cam W., posted by Mitch on October 5, 2001, at 22:15:17

Mitch - I haven't looked much into neurokinin receptors or their inhibitors for a couple of years now. This is ever since Substance P blockers turned out to have to many side effects to be clinically useful. I think that neurokinin receptors are too widespread to be of any specific use in depression &/or pain modulation (I am not sure of this, though). Perhaps looking at the adenosine-1A (A1A) receptor may be more useful for finding a pain-control mechanism.

I know that MK-869 is being investigated in Britain (in Phase I trials) but I haven't paid much attention.

I have dwelt more on the cytokines and their role as second messengers intracellularly. There seems to be some connection with certain cytokines being involved with both the immune system and development of depression.

Sorry - Cam

 

Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors

Posted by SLS on October 7, 2001, at 8:55:54

In reply to Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Mitch, posted by Cam W. on October 6, 2001, at 23:22:14

> Mitch - I haven't looked much into neurokinin receptors or their inhibitors for a couple of years now. This is ever since Substance P blockers turned out to have to many side effects to be clinically useful. I think that neurokinin receptors are too widespread to be of any specific use in depression &/or pain modulation (I am not sure of this, though). Perhaps looking at the adenosine-1A (A1A) receptor may be more useful for finding a pain-control mechanism.
>
> I know that MK-869 is being investigated in Britain (in Phase I trials) but I haven't paid much attention.
>
> I have dwelt more on the cytokines and their role as second messengers intracellularly. There seems to be some connection with certain cytokines being involved with both the immune system and development of depression.
>
> Sorry - Cam


A few years ago, a single study using a substance P antagonist to treat depression generated quite a bit of excitement when the results demonstrating robust effects was published. It drew lots of media attention. However, over the subsequent six months, these results were contradicted by other studies, and the first study was generally accepted as being invalid. Most of the pending studies were dropped. I am surprised that there is renewed interest in substance P. Perhaps other neurokines are being looked at. Perhaps the first study was right afterall??? I hope so.


- Scott

 

Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors SLS

Posted by Mitch on October 7, 2001, at 11:31:44

In reply to Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors, posted by SLS on October 7, 2001, at 8:55:54

> > Mitch - I haven't looked much into neurokinin receptors or their inhibitors for a couple of years now. This is ever since Substance P blockers turned out to have to many side effects to be clinically useful. I think that neurokinin receptors are too widespread to be of any specific use in depression &/or pain modulation (I am not sure of this, though). Perhaps looking at the adenosine-1A (A1A) receptor may be more useful for finding a pain-control mechanism.
> >
> > I know that MK-869 is being investigated in Britain (in Phase I trials) but I haven't paid much attention.
> >
> > I have dwelt more on the cytokines and their role as second messengers intracellularly. There seems to be some connection with certain cytokines being involved with both the immune system and development of depression.
> >
> > Sorry - Cam
>
>
> A few years ago, a single study using a substance P antagonist to treat depression generated quite a bit of excitement when the results demonstrating robust effects was published. It drew lots of media attention. However, over the subsequent six months, these results were contradicted by other studies, and the first study was generally accepted as being invalid. Most of the pending studies were dropped. I am surprised that there is renewed interest in substance P. Perhaps other neurokines are being looked at. Perhaps the first study was right afterall??? I hope so.
>
>
> - Scott

Scott, well I must admit I am a little baffled then. In this thread there was a link to http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/cwpipeline/
and it said that Merck's MK-869 was a neurokinin(NK-1) antagonist and it was in *PHASE III* trials for bipolar disorder! So is pregabalin which I am eager to try (taking Neurontin now). I was just wondering if anybody had any information about it given it has made it this far.

Mitch

 

Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Mitch

Posted by SLS on October 7, 2001, at 11:50:25

In reply to Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors SLS, posted by Mitch on October 7, 2001, at 11:31:44

You might want to look at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11060783&dopt=Abstract

It says that development of MK-869 was discontinued.


- Scott

 

Thanks, Scott (nm)

Posted by Mitch on October 7, 2001, at 15:39:17

In reply to Re: CAM: question about neurokinin receptors Mitch, posted by SLS on October 7, 2001, at 11:50:25

 

Re: Drugs in the pipeline... SLS

Posted by bob on October 11, 2001, at 22:25:45

In reply to Re: Drugs in the pipeline... petter, posted by SLS on October 3, 2001, at 13:24:32

What doses of these med combos (Venlaflaxine + Mirtazapine + Ziprasidone + mood stablilizer) are being suggested? It's very interesting that two different doctors have come up with the same four-drug combo!

Bob


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.