Psycho-Babble Administration Thread 7094

Shown: posts 35 to 59 of 59. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Another idea

Posted by Dr. Bob on September 14, 2002, at 16:21:16

In reply to Re: Another idea Dr. Bob, posted by mair on September 14, 2002, at 11:19:37

> I don't think the system I have in mind undermines your need to be accountable. Accountability would be no larger a problem than it is whenever you go away.

Except that I only go away for limited periods of time...

> I guess what I'm suggesting is not that you give up the right to respond to problems you see on the Boards

Good, I do think that's important...

> but rather that you defer to the deputy monitor until you really feel that you have to get involved. It's a matter of trusting someone else's instincts first as to when to intervene and how best to intervene.

But that's more responsibility for the deputy monitor...

> You can't have a situation where deputies are reluctant to get involved because they they're waiting to see what you do first.

Certainly not, part of the whole idea is for them to be able to act when I'm not online...

> I know it's tough for someone who is ultimately accountable to relinquish a measure of control

:-)

Bob

 

Re: Dr. Bob---weekend relief?

Posted by medlib on September 14, 2002, at 17:26:10

In reply to moderating on an on-going basis Mark H., posted by Dr. Bob on August 8, 2002, at 8:31:32

Dr. Bob--

This is a remarkedly civil and supportive thread--rare for this admin board; many posters have made thoughtful points in a helpful manner. Since I tend to express myself in metaphors, these will be medical:

--RELIEF: MDs in my community employ 3 types of support which may be relevant to PB:
....On (and off) call days. Someone else deals with emergencies and the obvious on weekends (and/or designated weekdays) on a rotating basis; final authority still resides with the primary physician or administrator.
....Housekeeping/clerical help. Someone else regularly deals with aspects which don't require professional judgement. On PB this might be limited to redirects and duplicate posts, which could be assigned on a rotating basis.
....Functional support. Someone else supplies ancillary services (lab work, x-rays, or hospitalized patient coverage, etc.). A number of PBers are skilled in technical areas; they might be delegated to provide posters with technical problems fixer-type suggestions, refer them to relevant FAQs, and/or e-mail you about the ones which require administrative services.

INFORMED CONSENT: Since this is critical to trust (in both patients and posters), I believe that anyone who provides any type of support services should be announced in appropriate PB board descriptions (along with their e-mail address). If on a rotating basis, only a name change should be needed.

RESPONSIBILITIES: Even Type A types burn out when they try to do it all forever; my pdoc retired recently at 40+. If I understand correctly, PB represents a 2nd job for you. Even though there may be some functional overlap with your academic duties, those countless extra hours are bound to add up. Most 2-jobbers have little time for a family, social or private life; yet, while a nurse, the most frequent regret of dying patients I heard was about missed opportunities in relationships. Et tu?

PB has been critical to my survival, as well. I'd be happy to help with any services you may decide to delegate (except tech support, where I'm competent, but not sufficiently skilled). I always read PB, though I may post less often now; so, please add my name to your undoubtedly long list of volunteers. Whether it applies to me or not, I agree with an earlier poster that delegating to a greater number of volunteers on a regular basis might help make the process seem less exceptional and may ease fears/complaints of posters. Perhaps even your instructions for delegating could be standardized (since assigning a job to others should not take more time than doing it yourself).

I see PB as a kind of electronic PRN group therapy. It's an interesting concept; I'm likely to follow its development indefinitely (even in the unlikely event I finally achieve remission).

Though it may seem so at times, pioneers are not *always* thankless. Thanks!---medlib


 

Re: Decidedly Against Deputy Monitor Posting Police shar

Posted by ShelliR on September 14, 2002, at 21:09:11

In reply to Decidedly Against Deputy Monitor Posting Police, posted by shar on September 12, 2002, at 0:44:48

> ...or whatever we will call them. Psycho Babble, as a site, has become more restrictive and we already have people making long intros before they state their opinions so as to (one hopes) avoid a PBC or block. Communication has become cumbersome, more veiled, less direct (even when direct NE uncivil but *MIGHT* be perceived that way), so that a thought becomes a tangle of a little bit of the idea, an apology, pointing out it is not directed at anyone in particular, plus toss in some paranoia because the guidelines aren't that clear anymore...and, voila, an incomprehensible mess(age)!
>
> I agree a few posters get way out on the edge, and need to be dealt with, and I don't have a big investment in who deals with them. However, I am not interested in having a lot of "be careful" and "watch the tone" posts, either, in the name of preventing a problem--no matter who makes them. Except that if Dr. Bob makes them, it's his board and he can do what he wants. It is too reminiscent of the kid who got to "take names" when the teacher left the room, even if just to step out into the hall. Or, always being under the watchful eye of "Mom" or "Dad" who wants to steer everyone away from even the hint of impropriety well before it is even a glimmer in a teenager's eye, so eventually everyone quits talking.
>
> It is as if the goal of the boards is now 'flat affect.' Which, of course, doesn't make sense to me on a board that deals with emotions, a full range of emotions, and emotions that are in response to what others say. The guidelines are so broad now, to be civil is akin to being either supportive or neutral. Anything beyond that, and one risks a block, even if one is only expressing a personal opinion about an IDEA. And I do want to add that blocking for humor added a whole new dimension to the notion of what now constitutes "civility."
>
> Now for my standard disclaimers, that none of this is directed at anyone in particular, and Dinah did a very good job when she filled in for Dr. Bob, and I hope nobody takes any of this personally because it is not meant that way.........
---------------------------------------------------

BEAUTIFULLY said, Shar, and your post goes as it should, way past the idea of being "disappointed" in Dr. Bob. First the problem seemed to be too many blatant misjudgments by Bob, followed by his serious unwillingness to ever admit a mistake in censoring, even a completely obvious error.

But now I'm beginning to realize that the problem with both Dr. Bob's monitoring, or a replacement monitor, goes well beyond incorrect judgments. (again, as Shar has clearly pointed out). When the blocking was implimented, it addressed only blatantly insulting posts and posters. For some reason along the way, blocking and warning has shifted to an over scrutiny of each post (by Bob or other) to check whether he or they are almost 100% certain that NO READER, no matter how unlikely, would find offense. It has become a game of obsession, which distracts greatly from the content of the board.

When Dinah filled in for Dr. Bob, I was frustrated when she started using the exact same words as Bob:, "please do not say anything that may be interpreted........" and she even put asides to him in her posts in case she had offended him: (sorry Dr. Bob...). And I didn't like the pre-warnings she posted, for example, "guys watch out...", even though I'm sure they *were* offered to help avoid the escalation of conflict. (and I am fairly certain that at least some of the time, she was successful).

I also felt the constant praise of Dinah (by other posters) for her excellence in monitoring the board, annoying. Not because the praise was not warrented but, rather, along with her choice to use Bob's exact language, the "pre-warnings", and internal conversation with Bob, I resented never being able to get too far into a thought or idea, without being reminded about the continuous possiblity that someone, (and probably for no clear reason), could be censored at any time. The censoring that was ambigious to all but Dr. Bob and a very few members who feel safer with strict censorship, and don't seem particularly concerned about fairness. (Well, also to the few supporters who love "dad" a little beyond my comfort level).

So finally I realize (way after many other posters), that this nitpicking of posts will continue with or without Bob as the full-time monitor, especially as he seemingly chooses monitors who have *mostly* expressed very little problem with his censures in the past.

BTW, in spite of my annoyance at Dinah's use of Dr. Bob's exact words, and her warnings and asides to him in some of her posts, her monitoring probably *was* less controversial than Bob's, and I have no doubt that she tried very hard to do a good job. So while I have been pretty explicit about my feelings, it would be wrong to interpret them specifically as bad feelings toward Dinah, rather than the situation.

Now willing to step back and see what happens,

Shelli

 

Safety and Civility

Posted by mair on September 15, 2002, at 10:24:02

In reply to Re: Another idea, posted by Dinah on September 14, 2002, at 12:28:09

Theoretically, a moderated Board should feel "safe" to people. I understand that there are those who are concerned that a poster-moderated Board would essentially be an unmoderated board, but I don't think that's the case where, as here, you have so many posters who have been here long enough to develop relationships with other posters, and a sense of responsibility to the site. I don't think the fact that several of the more disgruntled PB members have left or mostly left this site specifically because they couldn't abide Bob's moderating decisions is at all an indication that there would be anarchy if he stepped back and left the day to day monitoring more to the membership. In my opinion, as long as Bob is the sole arbiter, he will be a lightening rod for controversy and criticism and the Board will continue to become polarized. Controversies on the board become less about who said what, and more about Bob. The deputy or deputies who are poised to intervene when Bob's not on-line (how will they know), are eventually (regrettably) going to become as much convenient targets as is Bob. Dinah's tenure as substitute moderator was successful, I believe, because people had no expectation that Bob was really lurking in the shadows. Decisions about whom to admonish and how they should be approach were hers, not his, even if she made her determinations with Bob in mind. I also think her efforts were appreciated because people understood that she had undertaken a job that was particularly tough for her and would not have been as tough for Bob.

I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing that multiple moderators, serving on a rotating basis, might apply somewhat different moderating standards. If it's understood that this could happen, people could adjust. My guess is that in practice, civility rules would not be applied all that inconsistently and that people would take a little more care and personal responsibility for their own posts if the moderator is a friend or if he or she has served as a moderator too.

The alternative, a board where people are almost paranoid about how a post is going to be construed, or who don't want to end up in the middle of a swirling controversy over what they "meant" to say, hardly seems safe or supportive or affirming to me.

There is no question in my mind that PBCs and blocks are being handed out to a far greater degree than ever before. I think all of the "old timers" would agree. It's too easy and convenient to say that this is a mere outgrowth of the expansion of the site. I think it can equally be argued that this has happened because Bob is so much more of a visible and active presence on the site. People don't have to or aren't given the opportunity to work out misunderstandings themselves. The resulting tone is different.

Mair

 

Re: relief

Posted by Dr. Bob on September 15, 2002, at 13:39:43

In reply to Re: Dr. Bob---weekend relief?, posted by medlib on September 14, 2002, at 17:26:10

> ....Functional support. Someone else supplies ancillary services (lab work, x-rays, or hospitalized patient coverage, etc.). A number of PBers are skilled in technical areas; they might be delegated to provide posters with technical problems fixer-type suggestions, refer them to relevant FAQs, and/or e-mail you about the ones which require administrative services.

Those were good categories. The above one, though, doesn't require any special privileges, anyone who's able to can always help out that way...

> INFORMED CONSENT: Since this is critical to trust (in both patients and posters), I believe that anyone who provides any type of support services should be announced in appropriate PB board descriptions (along with their e-mail address).

I'm not sure about the email address part, since I'm available myself, but yes, this is related to the FAQ issue...

> RESPONSIBILITIES: Even Type A types burn out when they try to do it all forever...

Didn't I already agree with Mark H. that "some sort of delegation will be necessary"? :-)

> PB has been critical to my survival, as well. I'd be happy to help with any services you may decide to delegate (except tech support, where I'm competent, but not sufficiently skilled). I always read PB, though I may post less often now; so, please add my name to your undoubtedly long list of volunteers.

I will, thanks. But this is still a sort of trail period...

> Though it may seem so at times, pioneers are not *always* thankless. Thanks!

Same to you! :-)

Bob

 

Re: Another deputy administrator

Posted by Dr. Bob on September 15, 2002, at 13:42:51

In reply to Re: Another idea, posted by Dr. Bob on September 13, 2002, at 19:45:53

> I also like the idea of multiple deputy monitors, and we'd have two right now if Mark H. were interested...

FYI, he is, so I've "reactivated" him. So you may see him around doing administrative things. Thanks, Mark!

Bob

 

Re: Safety and Civility

Posted by shar on September 15, 2002, at 14:01:56

In reply to Safety and Civility, posted by mair on September 15, 2002, at 10:24:02

Mair articulated several important points, especially as related to moderators. One was: The deputy or deputies who are poised to intervene...are eventually (regrettably) going to become as much convenient targets as is Bob.

This is, I believe, very true. And it is of concern to me because it is no fun being attacked, and can really hurt people (which is, I recall, why blocking started in the first place). It is good to have this point made at the outset, so that at least moderators know that this might occur, and are equipped to deal with it. In a sense, having decisions questioned (sometimes quite intensely) is part of the job, goes with the territory, so having a coping strategy will be important; such as not taking things personally. If we were children, it would be quite different because we wouldn't expect to be able to reject someone else's findings, or feel we could rightly voice our displeasure over official censure.

This will be true even if posters behave themselves as well as they can, there will be times when a brou-ha-ha will erupt and angry words are said, either among posters or poster-to-moderator, or whatever other combinations exist.

Another important point: "My guess is that in practice, civility rules would not be applied all that inconsistently and that people would take a little more care and personal responsibility for their own posts if the moderator is a friend..." I agree with this also. However, I wonder how long a moderator will be able to have the same friendships that existed prior to their new duties of handing out PBC's and blocks, or warnings. It is sort of like when a friend becomes your supervisor at work. For a while, things are the same, but there is a very real power differential that exists...they can fire you or write you up. It would be natural to become more closed to that person, to watch what one says, to hold back certain thoughts that previously would have been expressed because the consequences are now different. That does not bode well for continuing closeness, in my opinion.

I don't believe that moderators will, for long, still be treated the way they were when they were "just" posters. The 'good will' generated by being friends will eventually erode, in my opinion, as PBCs and blocks are handed out, especially if there is conflict over what's meted out. It is good to mention this early on, just in case...in case someone felt hurt when it happened. It's better to know it can happen up front. If it doesn't happen, all the better.

Another point I agree with is that PBCs and blocks are more frequent than before, and people might be getting cut off before they can work things out. I believe conflict is a part of life on this site, and that trying to squelch it is not going to prove effective (it hasn't so far). I wonder if instead of being encouraged only to ignore threads and avoid unpleasantness, if a 'resolve it' approach was added in and encouraged, what would happen. Or, maybe there needs to be a "go to your rooms" (GTYR) category that doesn't single out one poster who may only be responding to something that was nasty to begin with, but would apply equally to everyone in the thread who is involved in the uproar. 8-)

So, no one individual will receive the punishment for a 6-post argument. The GTYR would apply to the *thread* becoming too rambunctious and heated, and anyone who chose to post "uncivilly" after a GTYR would be given an individualized PBC or block. At the very least, it would give folks a chance to back off when they knew the thread was being seen as getting too hot. I do believe the vast majority of posters here are well-intentioned, even if they do get 'het up' occasionally. They might appreciate a warning. Or, we could have a threadomometer, based on the 'defense condition' (DEFCON) ratings, like DEFCON 1 is normal, DEFCON 4 is 'yellow alert.' Just some sort of early warning system, when things are heated up. Notice, I did not say before things are heated up...this wouldn't be another attempt to avoid conflict, this would be after a thread got heated but before it is out of hand.

I may have wayyy to much time on my mind these days, to be thinking these things up.

Shar


> Theoretically, a moderated Board should feel "safe" to people. I understand that there are those who are concerned that a poster-moderated Board would essentially be an unmoderated board, but I don't think that's the case where, as here, you have so many posters who have been here long enough to develop relationships with other posters, and a sense of responsibility to the site. I don't think the fact that several of the more disgruntled PB members have left or mostly left this site specifically because they couldn't abide Bob's moderating decisions is at all an indication that there would be anarchy if he stepped back and left the day to day monitoring more to the membership. In my opinion, as long as Bob is the sole arbiter, he will be a lightening rod for controversy and criticism and the Board will continue to become polarized. Controversies on the board become less about who said what, and more about Bob. The deputy or deputies who are poised to intervene when Bob's not on-line (how will they know), are eventually (regrettably) going to become as much convenient targets as is Bob. Dinah's tenure as substitute moderator was successful, I believe, because people had no expectation that Bob was really lurking in the shadows. Decisions about whom to admonish and how they should be approach were hers, not his, even if she made her determinations with Bob in mind. I also think her efforts were appreciated because people understood that she had undertaken a job that was particularly tough for her and would not have been as tough for Bob.
>
> I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing that multiple moderators, serving on a rotating basis, might apply somewhat different moderating standards. If it's understood that this could happen, people could adjust. My guess is that in practice, civility rules would not be applied all that inconsistently and that people would take a little more care and personal responsibility for their own posts if the moderator is a friend or if he or she has served as a moderator too.
>
> The alternative, a board where people are almost paranoid about how a post is going to be construed, or who don't want to end up in the middle of a swirling controversy over what they "meant" to say, hardly seems safe or supportive or affirming to me.
>
> There is no question in my mind that PBCs and blocks are being handed out to a far greater degree than ever before. I think all of the "old timers" would agree. It's too easy and convenient to say that this is a mere outgrowth of the expansion of the site. I think it can equally be argued that this has happened because Bob is so much more of a visible and active presence on the site. People don't have to or aren't given the opportunity to work out misunderstandings themselves. The resulting tone is different.
>
> Mair
>
>

 

Re: Safety and Civility

Posted by Dr. Bob on September 15, 2002, at 15:15:43

In reply to Re: Safety and Civility, posted by shar on September 15, 2002, at 14:01:56

> I wonder how long a moderator will be able to have the same friendships that existed prior to their new duties of handing out PBC's and blocks, or warnings. It is sort of like when a friend becomes your supervisor at work. For a while, things are the same, but there is a very real power differential that exists...they can fire you or write you up.

This is a real concern of mine. Deputy administrators do have the option of *not* intervening. But there's no getting around it, there's still a power differential...

> I wonder if instead of being encouraged only to ignore threads and avoid unpleasantness, if a 'resolve it' approach was added in and encouraged, what would happen.

Did you have a particular procedure in mind?

> Or, maybe there needs to be a "go to your rooms" (GTYR) category that doesn't single out one poster who may only be responding to something that was nasty to begin with, but would apply equally to everyone in the thread who is involved in the uproar. 8-)
>
> So, no one individual will receive the punishment for a 6-post argument. The GTYR would apply to the *thread* becoming too rambunctious and heated, and anyone who chose to post "uncivilly" after a GTYR would be given an individualized PBC or block.

Are you saying there should be a "room" here to which I should tell people to go when they get too rambunctious? :-) Hmm...

I do already try to deal with everyone involved in an uproar, including someone who starts things by being "nasty". I'm not sure it would work to do something equally to everyone, since everyone's not involved equally...

> At the very least, it would give folks a chance to back off when they knew the thread was being seen as getting too hot. I do believe the vast majority of posters here are well-intentioned, even if they do get 'het up' occasionally. They might appreciate a warning. Or, we could have a threadomometer, based on the 'defense condition' (DEFCON) ratings, like DEFCON 1 is normal, DEFCON 4 is 'yellow alert.' Just some sort of early warning system, when things are heated up. Notice, I did not say before things are heated up...this wouldn't be another attempt to avoid conflict, this would be after a thread got heated but before it is out of hand.

Treadomometer, I love it! :-) But how would you operationalize "heated up"? After there's already been a post that I'd consider uncivil?

Dinah did try something like that, and I thought it got mixed reviews. Some people appreciate a warning, but IMO others resent the intrusion.

> I may have wayyy to much time on my mind these days, to be thinking these things up.

Well, if so, I hope you don't get too busy with other things, since it would be great to come up with a better way to deal with problems here. :-)

Bob

 

Re: Operationalizing heated up Dr. Bob

Posted by medlib on September 16, 2002, at 4:57:29

In reply to Re: Safety and Civility, posted by Dr. Bob on September 15, 2002, at 15:15:43

Dr. Bob and Shar--

Great idea, Shar! How about using traffic (thread) signals? If it's feasible, a thread warning system which gives the administrator and/or monitor an option to change all the bullets on a thread to bigger yellow ones (for caution), and a second option to change the yellow bullets to red (for GTYR--or CINOYB, cool it now or you'll be blocked) would have several advantages.
--It's nonverbal (fewer hurt feelings).
--It flags the whole thread, not individual(s).
--It employs widely recognized symbols that most posters won't have trouble understanding or remembering.
--Once activated, it should continue to flag each new post until the next new thread.
--It wouldn't affect individual PBCs or blocks.

Uncertainties that occur to me:
--Would it roll over okay?
--If different bullets are still .gifs, how would you handle the "no images" alternative? Or for the color blind?

Word has about 60 different bullets, but I don't know what's possible with your font/code. My html writing days ended before Java, so I'm whistling in the dark here. In English it would sound something like "begin yellow bullet here; stop when indent is turned off." I just think it's too neat an idea not to implement some way or other.

Hope something's possible---medlib

P.S. I *love* MarkH's notion of PBK. "Kind" seems so much more evocative and gentle a word than "civil." Who knows? It might even prevent a few PBC arguments, and wouldn't that be a relief?

 

Re: Shift rotation Dr. Bob

Posted by medlib on September 16, 2002, at 5:56:24

In reply to Re: relief, posted by Dr. Bob on September 15, 2002, at 13:39:43

Dr. Bob--

If and/or when you decide to expand your monitor system, scheduling logistics needn't be a deterrent. I seem to think in outline form, as my post may have suggested. It took me about 5 minutes to come up with a simple shift rotation schedule that should work for whatever time period you select. It's available whenever.---medlib

 

Re: deputy administrator trial period

Posted by Dr. Bob on November 6, 2002, at 3:22:25

In reply to Re: Before Deciding, posted by Dr. Bob on September 12, 2002, at 8:16:40

> How about we give this a try and see how it goes? Let's say for a month?

OK, it's been closer to two months, how do you all think it's gone?

Bob

 

Re: what no feedback? Dr. Bob

Posted by Dr-Eamerz on November 7, 2002, at 19:06:50

In reply to Re: deputy administrator trial period, posted by Dr. Bob on November 6, 2002, at 3:22:25

..it's been wonderful trial , smooth , glitch free and gorgeous.
OK I didn't know there was a trial..maybe I'm in la la land.
Three cheers for Three Moderators HipHipHorray x3

A grocery analogy is well overdue : )

 

Re: deputy administrator trial period Dr. Bob

Posted by shar on November 7, 2002, at 23:16:22

In reply to Re: deputy administrator trial period, posted by Dr. Bob on November 6, 2002, at 3:22:25

I think it's gone surprisingly well. My concerns didn't materialize, and the board(s) seem calmer than they have been for a while...unless I've missed something.

Shar

 

Re: trial period - Dinah has been GREAT!

Posted by Mark H. on November 8, 2002, at 11:45:53

In reply to Re: deputy administrator trial period, posted by Dr. Bob on November 6, 2002, at 3:22:25

Several bouts of illness and an unexpectedly heavy workload have kept me from being active here for the past couple of months, but I want to acknowledge Dinah for her diligence, sensitivity and good judgment as a participating administrator. I particularly admire the kindness and respect with which she offers corrections and assistance to other participants.

It would be great if other seasoned old-timers who have a little extra time stepped forward and offered to help Dr. Bob administer these boards -- or just one of the boards, if you have a favorite. The more community members participate in helping to maintain acceptable styles of communicating, the less Dr. Bob would have to intervene and impose sanctions.

If you are interested in being considered as a participant administrator (even if just to help for a week from time to time when Dr. Bob is traveling), I encourage you to email him directly.

I think Dinah has admirably demonstrated how well it can work.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

 

Re: Thank you Mark (Blush) Mark H.

Posted by Dinah on November 8, 2002, at 17:08:24

In reply to Re: trial period - Dinah has been GREAT!, posted by Mark H. on November 8, 2002, at 11:45:53

But actually, under Dr. Bob's guidelines on deputy interventions, I haven't really done very much. I redirect some, but I did that before being deputized. I really prefer to think of it as helping people find the right board.

It's actually worked out better than I had thought. It's been a fairly quiet period on the board, but I think that perhaps the biggest advantage to having deputies is just their presence. I'm embarassed to admit that I'm probably around more often than Dr. Bob, so if something comes up that requires attention immediately I may be here before Dr. Bob. I think that is Dr. Bob's intent for the deputy position.

And I agree that those with an interest in filling in or being deputies ought to email Dr. Bob.

 

Re: ongoing deputy administrators + another trip

Posted by Dr. Bob on November 20, 2002, at 21:10:02

In reply to Re: Thank you Mark (Blush) Mark H., posted by Dinah on November 8, 2002, at 17:08:24

> It's actually worked out better than I had thought. It's been a fairly quiet period on the board, but I think that perhaps the biggest advantage to having deputies is just their presence. I'm embarassed to admit that I'm probably around more often than Dr. Bob, so if something comes up that requires attention immediately I may be here before Dr. Bob. I think that is Dr. Bob's intent for the deputy position.

Thanks again! OK, let's continue with deputy administrators:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#deputies

Also, I'm going out of town again, from 11/28 to 12/8, so I'd like to take this opportunity to add Tabitha and Medlib to the ranks. While I'm gone, Tabitha will cover PB itself and Medlib will cover the other boards. Dinah will back them up, as will Mark H. in a consultant-type role, which he'd prefer right now to being fully deputized. Plus I shouldn't be completely offline myself. Thanks, everyone!

Bob

 

What's the hourly wage? (nm) Dr. Bob

Posted by ShelliR on November 20, 2002, at 21:21:56

In reply to Re: ongoing deputy administrators + another trip, posted by Dr. Bob on November 20, 2002, at 21:10:02

 

Re: Thank you Mark (Blush)-Here's the deal : ) Dinah

Posted by Phil on November 21, 2002, at 7:11:37

In reply to Re: Thank you Mark (Blush) Mark H., posted by Dinah on November 8, 2002, at 17:08:24

Okay, I'm a deputy and the sheriff's out of town.
I get blocked myself for a month while trying to be funny. Oh, the shame. Busted by internal affairs. I would never type in these parts again.
That may make people happy.
I don't want to tell people to be civil when I'm a career offender. I wouldn't block them, I'd put them probation. Third offense, Outward Bound. Fourth offense: Two weeks of grammar presented by the bearded one. She carries a ruler to crack your knuckles if you act up in class.

 

Re: What's the hourly wage?

Posted by Dr. Bob on November 21, 2002, at 19:21:05

In reply to What's the hourly wage? (nm) Dr. Bob, posted by ShelliR on November 20, 2002, at 21:21:56

> What's the hourly wage?

I should've mentioned that, they're all volunteering their time.

Bob

 

Re: What's the hourly wage? What? Free?

Posted by IsoM on November 21, 2002, at 20:19:08

In reply to Re: What's the hourly wage?, posted by Dr. Bob on November 21, 2002, at 19:21:05

Damn! Here I was hoping it was $50/hr or more & then I was going to volunteer with hopes of retiring after being a deputy moderator a few times. Better finish my course on deep-sea welding - then I'll get rich.

 

Re: ;-) (nm) IsoM

Posted by ShelliR on November 21, 2002, at 20:48:54

In reply to Re: What's the hourly wage? What? Free?, posted by IsoM on November 21, 2002, at 20:19:08

 

Here's the deal : ) Phil

Posted by shar on November 21, 2002, at 21:57:22

In reply to Re: Thank you Mark (Blush)-Here's the deal : ) Dinah, posted by Phil on November 21, 2002, at 7:11:37

Phil,
8-D Career offender. That's pretty good, in more ways than one; at least 3 ways I can think of right off.

I think you'd make a great deputy....time to PARTYYYYY!!!

Shar

> Okay, I'm a deputy and the sheriff's out of town.
> I get blocked myself for a month while trying to be funny. Oh, the shame. Busted by internal affairs. I would never type in these parts again.
> That may make people happy.
> I don't want to tell people to be civil when I'm a career offender. I wouldn't block them, I'd put them probation. Third offense, Outward Bound. Fourth offense: Two weeks of grammar presented by the bearded one. She carries a ruler to crack your knuckles if you act up in class.

 

Re: return of deputy administrators

Posted by Dr. Bob on May 5, 2003, at 3:11:43

In reply to Re: ongoing deputy administrators + another trip, posted by Dr. Bob on November 20, 2002, at 21:10:02

> > As the board grows more rapidly ... the presence of a single human moderator becomes more and more sporadic and unreliable due to the sheer number of posts involved.
>
> I know, especially lately, and I still would like to bring back "deputy administrators"...

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/admin/20030404/msgs/219225.html

OK, I'm delighted to welcome back Dinah and Medlib, who are generously volunteering again. For an overview of the deputy administrator system, see earlier posts in this thread and the FAQ:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#deputies

Bob

 

Re: the job description?

Posted by Dr. Bob on August 25, 2004, at 11:58:00

In reply to the job description?, posted by Jai Narayan on August 25, 2004, at 9:37:57

> What are the requirements of the job?
> job description.
> Is there a trial period?
> How do you consider the people applying?
> what if they make mistakes?
> who reviews the people?
> does the job have a length of time then get renewed, or do you run for the position and there's a vote....

There's some information in the FAQ:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#deputies

and earlier in this thread. In a way, it's all one trial period, they can step down, and be asked by me to step down, at any time. I don't have a set procedure for considering people, but I do ask current deputies for input. If they make mistakes, well, they can apologize? The technical aspects of what they do should be able to be reversed. Everybody reviews them. :-) I've wondered about voting...

Bob

 

Re: where *is* medlib the deputy??? (nm) Dr. Bob

Posted by zenhussy on August 25, 2004, at 22:00:58

In reply to Re: the job description?, posted by Dr. Bob on August 25, 2004, at 11:56:34


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Administration | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.