Psycho-Babble Administration Thread 344

Shown: posts 1 to 11 of 11. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Every line highlighted?

Posted by ksvt on January 26, 2001, at 12:41:16

For some reason on PSB and PSB only, the yellow "new" flag appears next to every post and never goes away. Therefore if I go to PSB and scroll down, I see this sea of yellow and there is no distinction between yesterday's posts and those of several weeks ago. Any ideas? ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted?

Posted by mars on January 26, 2001, at 13:45:38

In reply to Every line highlighted?, posted by ksvt on January 26, 2001, at 12:41:16

Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?

> For some reason on PSB and PSB only, the yellow "new" flag appears next to every post and never goes away. Therefore if I go to PSB and scroll down, I see this sea of yellow and there is no distinction between yesterday's posts and those of several weeks ago. Any ideas? ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted? mars

Posted by ksvt on January 26, 2001, at 21:11:06

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted?, posted by mars on January 26, 2001, at 13:45:38

>

Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?
>
No - it says my last visit was on December 5. How do I correct this? Also on PBA, I have the opposite problem - none of the posts are marked as "new". I don't see on the PBA page anyplace where it indicates when my last visit was. ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted?

Posted by mars on January 26, 2001, at 23:30:25

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted? mars, posted by ksvt on January 26, 2001, at 21:11:06

it sounds like a problem with the cookies. what operating system and version are you on, and what browser and version are you using?

cheers,

mary (who did tech support for many, many years)

> >
>
>
>
> Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?
> >
> No - it says my last visit was on December 5. How do I correct this? Also on PBA, I have the opposite problem - none of the posts are marked as "new". I don't see on the PBA page anyplace where it indicates when my last visit was. ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted? mars

Posted by ksvt on January 27, 2001, at 10:57:22

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted?, posted by mars on January 26, 2001, at 23:30:25

>Mary - I have Windows 98 and Netscape 4.0. If I go to the PB site, the information about my last visit is, I think, correct. If everything were in order, how long would the flags stay? Thanks for the tech help. I'm woefully illiterate about computers. K

it sounds like a problem with the cookies. what operating system and version are you on, and what browser and version are you using?
>
> cheers,
>
> mary (who did tech support for many, many years)
>
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?
> > >
> > No - it says my last visit was on December 5. How do I correct this? Also on PBA, I have the opposite problem - none of the posts are marked as "new". I don't see on the PBA page anyplace where it indicates when my last visit was. ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted? ksvt

Posted by mars on January 28, 2001, at 8:18:14

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted? mars, posted by ksvt on January 27, 2001, at 10:57:22

ksvt ~ the way it works for me, the flags stay during a single session, but are reset by the next session.

I haven't used Netscape 4.x in a long, long time, but here's what I know about Win '98 that might help.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

Select the drive you want to clean up. Usually it's C: Click OK.

You should then see a list of the types of files you can clean off your hard drive. Check only "Temporary Internet files" and "Temporary files", and click OK.

IF that doesn't work, go to http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/extras.pl and use Dr. Bob's setup for clearing cookies.

If you're still having problems, look in your Netscape preferences or options or wherever you set your settings, and look for something about cookies. And, of course, you can post another message for me.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm a bit under the weather. Buena suerte!

mars


> >Mary - I have Windows 98 and Netscape 4.0. If I go to the PB site, the information about my last visit is, I think, correct. If everything were in order, how long would the flags stay? Thanks for the tech help. I'm woefully illiterate about computers. K
>
>
>
> it sounds like a problem with the cookies. what operating system and version are you on, and what browser and version are you using?
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > mary (who did tech support for many, many years)
> >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?
> > > >
> > > No - it says my last visit was on December 5. How do I correct this? Also on PBA, I have the opposite problem - none of the posts are marked as "new". I don't see on the PBA page anyplace where it indicates when my last visit was. ksvt

 

Re: Every line highlighted? mars

Posted by ksvt on January 28, 2001, at 12:30:36

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted? ksvt, posted by mars on January 28, 2001, at 8:18:14

>Mary - for reasons that I'm too stupid to even contemplate, the problem seems to have gone away on its own on PSB. I am suddenly "flag free" except for the last couple of posts. I still have this same problem on PB which doesn't seem to acknowledge that I just visited there within the last day or so. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try soon. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I, too, have been sick but not too sick to stay off the computer. K

ksvt ~ the way it works for me, the flags stay during a single session, but are reset by the next session.
>
> I haven't used Netscape 4.x in a long, long time, but here's what I know about Win '98 that might help.
>
> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
>
> Select the drive you want to clean up. Usually it's C: Click OK.
>
> You should then see a list of the types of files you can clean off your hard drive. Check only "Temporary Internet files" and "Temporary files", and click OK.
>
> IF that doesn't work, go to http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/extras.pl and use Dr. Bob's setup for clearing cookies.
>
> If you're still having problems, look in your Netscape preferences or options or wherever you set your settings, and look for something about cookies. And, of course, you can post another message for me.
>
> Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm a bit under the weather. Buena suerte!
>
> mars
>
>
>
>
> > >Mary - I have Windows 98 and Netscape 4.0. If I go to the PB site, the information about my last visit is, I think, correct. If everything were in order, how long would the flags stay? Thanks for the tech help. I'm woefully illiterate about computers. K
> >
> >
> >
> > it sounds like a problem with the cookies. what operating system and version are you on, and what browser and version are you using?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > >
> > > mary (who did tech support for many, many years)
> > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Is your "last visit" date at the top of each of the board pages correct?
> > > > >
> > > > No - it says my last visit was on December 5. How do I correct this? Also on PBA, I have the opposite problem - none of the posts are marked as "new". I don't see on the PBA page anyplace where it indicates when my last visit was. ksvt

 

Re: clearing cookies

Posted by Dr. Bob on January 28, 2001, at 17:04:31

In reply to Re: Every line highlighted? ksvt, posted by mars on January 28, 2001, at 8:18:14

> IF that doesn't work, go to http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/extras.pl and use Dr. Bob's setup for clearing cookies.

Actually, that just clears the name, password, and email address cookies, not the time-of-visit ones...

Bob

 

Re: clearing cookies

Posted by mars on January 29, 2001, at 7:38:52

In reply to Re: clearing cookies, posted by Dr. Bob on January 28, 2001, at 17:04:31

Doh! I shoulda remembered that. But using the "Disk Cleanup" system tool in Win '98 is still a good way to handle problems with cookies. I know you're a mac guy, dr. bob, and i'm a mac girl at heart, but you might tuck this away for some future FAQ?

mars

> > IF that doesn't work, go to http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/extras.pl and use Dr. Bob's setup for clearing cookies.
>
> Actually, that just clears the name, password, and email address cookies, not the time-of-visit ones...
>
> Bob

 

Re: clearing cookies Dr. Bob

Posted by mars on January 29, 2001, at 17:15:40

In reply to Re: clearing cookies, posted by Dr. Bob on January 28, 2001, at 17:04:31

Doh, I knew that.

The use of the disk cleanup tool in Win 98 though, is really helpful for clearing up cookie and other problems. You might want to remember that, Dr. Bob.

Thanks for all your good work.

p.s. I'm almost positive I posted this earlier today. What happened to that message?
> > IF that doesn't work, go to http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/extras.pl and use Dr. Bob's setup for clearing cookies.
>
> Actually, that just clears the name, password, and email address cookies, not the time-of-visit ones...
>
> Bob

 

Re: disk cleanup tool

Posted by Dr. Bob on January 30, 2001, at 1:22:40

In reply to Re: clearing cookies Dr. Bob, posted by mars on January 29, 2001, at 17:15:40

> The use of the disk cleanup tool in Win 98 though, is really helpful for clearing up cookie and other problems. You might want to remember that, Dr. Bob.

Hmm, I've let Psycho-Babble Tips kind of slide lately, sorry, but maybe it would be nice to have a tech support folder there, too?

Bob


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Administration | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.