Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 9730

Shown: posts 802 to 826 of 948. Go back in thread:

 

Light box Paintmom

Posted by katia on December 27, 2004, at 14:54:07

In reply to Re: Cyclothymia mood stabilizers-Zyprexa problems, posted by Paintmom on December 22, 2004, at 19:41:36

HI Paintmom (and Barbara)
When you did use your light box, how did you use it? When, how long, what time of the year? And did you find it helped you break out of a depression better or equal to meds? Also, did you experience nauseaous with it? I have with mine and have had to quit and restart with five min. increments.
Thanks-
Katia

> thanks for the welcome Barbara!
>
> I am taking the topamax earlier....and seeing how that goes....
>
> I do usually exercise..I walk 2+ miles 4 times a week and go to the gym for strength training three times a week...unfortunately when I get in a funk...I cut back..whcih is the worst time to do that....
> I also usually use the light box....cause I has SAD....but since I got separated out of a very bad marraige in march...I've been on a high!!! and haven't seemed to need it:)
>
> Anyway...look forward to learning and getting to know all of you
>
> all my best
> Paintmom
>
> PS
> I have been to a lot of boards for different things thru the years....I really like this one!

 

Re: Light box

Posted by Paintmom on December 27, 2004, at 15:10:22

In reply to Light box Paintmom, posted by katia on December 27, 2004, at 14:54:07

HI
I used the light box first thing in the morning for 30 minutes...I never got nauseuos...I had to use it in addition to meds...but it worked great...
a different year I used it liked at five for 30 minutes...and that seemed to help with the sleeping better...
The sun always seems to make me feel better....I try to be in the light as much as possible...it works for me...but I quess everyone has to find their own rythym. Different things work for different people.
One thing that has worked for me...that I would swear is this tape that I got at thinkrightnow
It's called stop depression now and it just has simplmepositive affirmations on it...It was rather expensive...so I thought it was a hoax and then I noticed when I listened to it for several days and then stopped....I noticed I felt beter when I listen to it. I was very skeptical ...but this happened over and over again. I also find taking b complex makes a noticecable imrpovement...such simple things...why don't I do them religiously.
Anyway
Happy Holidays to all
Paintmom

 

Re: Light box Paintmom

Posted by katia on December 27, 2004, at 15:32:57

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by Paintmom on December 27, 2004, at 15:10:22

Hi,
Yes, such simple things, but why don't we do it? I know that one. For me, it just gets exhausting to have such a high maintenance vigilant life. Like flying to Miami for four days for family get together. I'm wiped out now because I didn't get enough down time, nor was I able to bring my light box and different time zones make me unbalanced....Things seem simple to do but it's definitely a regulated life style, which makes spontaneity hard to do.

When you used your light box (LB) for five min. in the p.m., was this in addition to use in the morning? Did it give you that extra lift? Where do you live?
Katia

 

Re: Light box

Posted by Paintmom on December 27, 2004, at 15:46:21

In reply to Re: Light box Paintmom, posted by katia on December 27, 2004, at 15:32:57

I think when I used the light box I did it in addition some times ...like 15 min in the am and 15 min in the pm
if you are on certain meds ...you can be photosensative...so ask your doctor
I live in NY

 

Re: BIPOLAR QUESTION? (nm)

Posted by amberlicious on December 27, 2004, at 19:18:48

In reply to BIPOLAR QUESTION?, posted by cleo on July 14, 2003, at 21:31:29

 

Re: Light box Paintmom

Posted by Taosuki on December 28, 2004, at 2:02:31

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by Paintmom on December 27, 2004, at 15:46:21

I am really interested in this lightbox thing - I've heard of it and it makes sense to me. I read somewhere that if you surround yourself with ample light first thing in the morning (it had to be within 30 minutes of waking) it helps you to wake up and keep energy throughout the day.

I have experimented at home and it seems that when I do this it really works. I've noticed a difference between the days that I go into the bathroom in the morning and turn on every light source possible, just flooding the room with light while I'm doing the regular morning stuff in there compared to the days that I just brush my teeth in the weak morning light of the window and shuffle around the house without turning the lights on or opening the blinds.

I've never seen a lightbox - what do they look like, where can I find one and how much do they cost and by any chance would insurance cover it?

 

Re: Light box

Posted by Paintmom on December 28, 2004, at 9:59:58

In reply to Re: Light box Paintmom, posted by Taosuki on December 28, 2004, at 2:02:31

HI
The light box is a great thing. They are special because unlike regular lights ...they give you full spectrum light like the sun...without the harmful rays. I have heard that they have them at costco sometimes...I got mine on line and it was like 100 bucks 4 years ago...I think they are cheaper now...you can look at places like toolsforwellness.com and see if they have any. Research it a little because some are better than others. You can also buy the full spectrum bulbs for around your house...I think even at the HOme Depot. My insurance didn't cover it...but sometimes they might. You have to have a doctor say you need it. There is a Seasonal Affective Disorder association and they have information on light therapy....Columbia Presb hospital was doing studies on it as well...so it is pretty main stream now.
good luck
Paintmom

 

Re: Light box

Posted by katia on December 28, 2004, at 12:12:27

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by Paintmom on December 28, 2004, at 9:59:58

I got mine from Apollolight.com It's the Apollo IV. I got it from the recommendation of my pdoc. It is supposed to be the best in quality. And quality is really what you're after. No use spending money on a cheaper one if it doesn't do half of what this one does. It's up to you to do the research though because this one was $300. You can get it on line. I've heard that the full spectrum lights on lamps don't really work that great. It's only effective with the amount of light and the distance you are from it (like 18 inches). it's a pretty exact science. So even if the light box is on and you move three feet away, the effectiveness drops dramatically.

My philosophy is just buy the best and you won't have to spend time and more money buying box after box that doesn't work or only works half as well. i'm sure there are others out there, but this is one that works for me.

Katia

 

Re: Light box

Posted by Dave001 on December 29, 2004, at 19:49:28

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by katia on December 28, 2004, at 12:12:27

> ...
> You can get it on line. I've heard that the full spectrum lights on lamps don't really work that great. It's only effective with the amount of light and the distance you are from it (like 18 inches). it's a pretty exact science. So even if the light box is on and you move three feet away, the effectiveness drops dramatically.

Katia is correct. According to the research, it is the intensity (usually expressed in LUX) of the light that is the important factor. It is not necessary for the light to be "full spectrum." All of the medical grade light boxes use a bright white color temperature, so far as I'm aware.

 

Re: Light box

Posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:14:07

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by Dave001 on December 29, 2004, at 19:49:28

However, I've heard full spectrum is the best - just what I've heard.

Boy, my light box must be a very strong one...I've had to restart it with 5 min. increments due to the nausea and I'm up to a measly 10 min. and the nausea has come back some what!
Maybe 8 min for me a day! But at least I'm not that depressed. It did pull me up some.
Katia

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:17:12

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:14:07

Katia,

I'm glad to hear that the lightbox has been providing you with some relief. That is good news!

Tamara

> However, I've heard full spectrum is the best - just what I've heard.
>
> Boy, my light box must be a very strong one...I've had to restart it with 5 min. increments due to the nausea and I'm up to a measly 10 min. and the nausea has come back some what!
> Maybe 8 min for me a day! But at least I'm not that depressed. It did pull me up some.
> Katia

 

Re: Light box jujube

Posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:28:43

In reply to Re: Light box katia, posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:17:12

Hi, I remember you!
yes, it seemed to snap me out of it. I still feel tired some and slightly down, but much better than when the time changed.
I can't remember, do you use one?
Katia

> Katia,
>
> I'm glad to hear that the lightbox has been providing you with some relief. That is good news!
>
> Tamara
>
> > However, I've heard full spectrum is the best - just what I've heard.
> >
> > Boy, my light box must be a very strong one...I've had to restart it with 5 min. increments due to the nausea and I'm up to a measly 10 min. and the nausea has come back some what!
> > Maybe 8 min for me a day! But at least I'm not that depressed. It did pull me up some.
> > Katia
>
>

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:43:30

In reply to Re: Light box jujube, posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:28:43

Hi!

Yes, I have been using a light box for a number of months now. I find it makes a difference, especially sinse the days have gotten much shorter. I didn't use it Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy levels.

Hope you can get past the nausea and start to get even more benefits from the light box.

Take care.

Tamara

> Hi, I remember you!
> yes, it seemed to snap me out of it. I still feel tired some and slightly down, but much better than when the time changed.
> I can't remember, do you use one?
> Katia
>
> > Katia,
> >
> > I'm glad to hear that the lightbox has been providing you with some relief. That is good news!
> >
> > Tamara
> >
> > > However, I've heard full spectrum is the best - just what I've heard.
> > >
> > > Boy, my light box must be a very strong one...I've had to restart it with 5 min. increments due to the nausea and I'm up to a measly 10 min. and the nausea has come back some what!
> > > Maybe 8 min for me a day! But at least I'm not that depressed. It did pull me up some.
> > > Katia
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Light box jujube

Posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:51:25

In reply to Re: Light box katia, posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:43:30

I see you're probably British? Boxing day....

Did you have problems with the nausea?
Katia

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:59:05

In reply to Re: Light box jujube, posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 21:51:25

Canadian actually.

I didn't have problems with nausea when I started using the light box. I did experience some eye sensitivities and a mild headache, but both of those were short-lived.

Perhaps you could try taking some ginger capsules or drinking some ginger tea to relieve the nausea so as to allow you to increase your use of the light box and provide further benefits. Ginger is an excellent anti-nauseant. I believe there have even been studies done on its effectiveness.

Tamara

> I see you're probably British? Boxing day....
>
> Did you have problems with the nausea?
> Katia

 

Re: Light box jujube

Posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 22:04:12

In reply to Re: Light box katia, posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 21:59:05

Of course....Canadian. Lucky you. I wish I'd been born there rather than here in the U.S....

I do know about ginger and went to my Chinese herbalist. He gave me loads of herbs and ginger was included to make a tea. It's not working in regards to the light box and nausea...b/c I had to stop the box when I went to Miami for five days and the nausea subsided AND I was drinking the tea. Now I'm still drinking the tea and using the box and it's coming back. Maybe I"ll try tablets in addition to.
What part of Canada? How old are you? I'm 34.
Katia

> Canadian actually.
>
> I didn't have problems with nausea when I started using the light box. I did experience some eye sensitivities and a mild headache, but both of those were short-lived.
>
> Perhaps you could try taking some ginger capsules or drinking some ginger tea to relieve the nausea so as to allow you to increase your use of the light box and provide further benefits. Ginger is an excellent anti-nauseant. I believe there have even been studies done on its effectiveness.
>
> Tamara
>
> > I see you're probably British? Boxing day....
> >
> > Did you have problems with the nausea?
> > Katia
>
>

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 22:13:22

In reply to Re: Light box jujube, posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 22:04:12

That's too bad that the ginger tea didn't help. The capsules might be more concentrated and may be worth a try.

I am in my early 40s, and I live in the province of Ontario. I have also lived in Quebec, British Columbia and, when I was really, really young, New Brunswick for a very short period of time. I like Canada, but there are a lot of nice places to live in the U.S. as well. My family has relatives in Detroit, Michigan, Texas and California. I used to wish I had been born in the U.S. or, at a minimum, has dual citizenship. But, Canada is home, and I have no complaints.

Tamara

> Of course....Canadian. Lucky you. I wish I'd been born there rather than here in the U.S....
>
> I do know about ginger and went to my Chinese herbalist. He gave me loads of herbs and ginger was included to make a tea. It's not working in regards to the light box and nausea...b/c I had to stop the box when I went to Miami for five days and the nausea subsided AND I was drinking the tea. Now I'm still drinking the tea and using the box and it's coming back. Maybe I"ll try tablets in addition to.
> What part of Canada? How old are you? I'm 34.
> Katia
>
> > Canadian actually.
> >
> > I didn't have problems with nausea when I started using the light box. I did experience some eye sensitivities and a mild headache, but both of those were short-lived.
> >
> > Perhaps you could try taking some ginger capsules or drinking some ginger tea to relieve the nausea so as to allow you to increase your use of the light box and provide further benefits. Ginger is an excellent anti-nauseant. I believe there have even been studies done on its effectiveness.
> >
> > Tamara
> >
> > > I see you're probably British? Boxing day....
> > >
> > > Did you have problems with the nausea?
> > > Katia
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Light box jujube

Posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 22:21:23

In reply to Re: Light box katia, posted by jujube on December 29, 2004, at 22:13:22

I'll try the ginger pills.
Canada just seems more grownup and civilized. The systems especially.
Yes, Cal. is great. that's where I live.

Are you on any other meds? I'm on Triletpal 450mg, Paxil 12.5mg, and Seroquel 25mg at night, fish oil, and now just started St. John's Wort and want to phase out the Paxil.
I'm Bipolar II apparently, whatever that means.
Katia

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by jujube on December 30, 2004, at 9:51:38

In reply to Re: Light box jujube, posted by katia on December 29, 2004, at 22:21:23

I am currently taking Anafranil (a TCA AD), Celexa (small dose) and Xanax when needed. I am having a hard time with the Anafranil, and, if things don't improve in the next couple of weeks, will likely be switching it. I don't have Bipolar. I just have depression, anxiety (general and social) and, apparently, adjustment disorder (which I think is just a convoluted way of saying I had a bit of a meltdown).

Good luck with the St. John's Wort. I would be interested to hear how you do on it.

Tamara

> I'll try the ginger pills.
> Canada just seems more grownup and civilized. The systems especially.
> Yes, Cal. is great. that's where I live.
>
> Are you on any other meds? I'm on Triletpal 450mg, Paxil 12.5mg, and Seroquel 25mg at night, fish oil, and now just started St. John's Wort and want to phase out the Paxil.
> I'm Bipolar II apparently, whatever that means.
> Katia

 

Re: Light box katia

Posted by iris2 on December 30, 2004, at 11:36:54

In reply to Re: Light box Paintmom, posted by katia on December 27, 2004, at 15:32:57

I've had my light box for years and have not lused it since I first bought it. I do not remember what time of day to use it or for how long. Can you advise me?

Thanks,

irene

 

Re: Light box

Posted by katia on December 30, 2004, at 12:53:05

In reply to Re: Light box katia, posted by iris2 on December 30, 2004, at 11:36:54

> I've had my light box for years and have not lused it since I first bought it. I do not remember what time of day to use it or for how long. Can you advise me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> irene

Hi,
Well, if you're using it for depression, I have read that it's best to use it within an hour of waking. And start with 30 min. and see how you go and most people need less after awhile. I've also read that if you feel a slump during the day, use it again for 5-10 min. in the afternoon to get a lift. You also need to sit approx. 12 inches from it and look occasionly right into the light. THe distance varies depending on the box, but 12 in./ 1 foot is probably ok.
You can read about the use at www.apollolight.com

Just curious, why have you not used it before?

 

Re: Light box

Posted by iris2 on December 30, 2004, at 13:15:50

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by katia on December 30, 2004, at 12:53:05

I don't think I thought it helped when sI used it after I bought it so I have not tried it again. I was not as depressed and on medication that was working at the time so this would be very different.

 

Re: Light box

Posted by katia on December 30, 2004, at 13:17:39

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by iris2 on December 30, 2004, at 13:15:50

What kind do you have?
I have the apollo IV and it works. I snapped out of it almost right away.

 

Re: Light box

Posted by iris2 on December 30, 2004, at 13:25:43

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by katia on December 30, 2004, at 13:17:39

I do not remember. It is in a box in my closet. I used to have a pamphlet with it but I have lost it. If I take it out and look at it and it says I will post it.

Thanks,

irene

 

Re: Light box - Vitamin D? katia

Posted by barbaracat on December 30, 2004, at 14:32:03

In reply to Re: Light box, posted by katia on December 30, 2004, at 13:17:39

Hi Katia,
That's great news. Just curious, do you get the same kind of depressions in the summer? If so, could it be not getting enough sunlight in the Summer as well? In other words, do you think there's something about the time of year itself or is it lack of sunlight no matter what time of year? Makes me wonder about getting enough Vitamin D.

BTW, adding 1 capsule of the Flora full-spectrum SJW did the trick, feels as good as it did before. Chemistry is amazing. - Barbara


> What kind do you have?
> I have the apollo IV and it works. I snapped out of it almost right away.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.