Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 59725

Shown: posts 1 to 10 of 10. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by Anthony F. Stephan on April 13, 2001, at 16:53:22

I was invited to view the discussion for Apr 8-10 regarding TRUEHOPE, the CNS brain disorder research taking place in Canada and the U.S. at four universities. (Researchers and scientists are participating from the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, University of Utah and Harvard University).

I lost my first wife to suicide 7 years ago. She was 40 years old at the time and was a wonderful person and mother. Her story is found at http://www.truehope.com/aboutus.htm She struggled with Bipolar disorder 1 with rapid cycling. Her father also suicided 16 years before she did. I have four children with bipolar. Today because of the Truehope program they no longer exhibit any symptoms of the disorder and require no medications(for two of them it has been over 5 years).

I am one of the founders of the research program and am driven with the rest of the Synergy Group of Canada Inc. to find lasting answers to the CNS Disorders of Clinical Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, ADHD, OCD etc.

We believe that we are finding those answers. All of the CNS disorders are related to neuro chemical balance issues. This has been well established in science lit. The Japanese are proving that neuro chemistry is precursored by enzyme catalysts http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/

Eg. The Serotonin precursor enzyme 4.1.1.28 (Aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase)uses the elements(minerals)Phosphate and Iron in order to produce Serotonin. http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00380.html

We don't suffer CNS disorders because of a drug deficiency, prozac is never found in the natural neuro chemical equation. This research continues to prove that properly balanced neuro chemistry is based on nutrient intake in a balanced, bio-available format.

Have I lived the nightmare of mental illnes in my family?. Yes. My daughter Autumn was on five different meds (Haldol, Epival, Klonipin, Ativan and Cogentin). She was suicidal like her mother and grandfather. She was Bipolar 1 with rapid cycling. For the past five years she has been med and symptom free and has helped hundreds of others like herself to find normality.

We invite you to research for yourself.

Yours Truly,
Anthony F. Stephan

Support@truehope.com
www.truehope.com

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by stjames on April 13, 2001, at 18:17:07

In reply to TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by Anthony F. Stephan on April 13, 2001, at 16:53:22

Peer reviewed, double blind published studies please. Otherwise these claims have no meaning.

james

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited Anthony F. Stephan

Posted by PolarBear on April 13, 2001, at 18:25:13

In reply to TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by Anthony F. Stephan on April 13, 2001, at 16:53:22

Hi,
I sympathize with your tragic losses, and hope that you have come across a solution that works for your family. It would be great if it also works for as broad a range of other disorders, and people, as you imply it does in your post. I am always skeptical, however, of any purported cures based on nutritional supplements that are sold to the general public.
I got the impression from your post that you work for or own a company in Canada that sells a nutritional supplement program ("truehope") for treating "CNS Disorders," presumably through the mail, although this was not entirely clear to me from your post. Is this correct?

At the truehope website you mentioned, I saw a couple of newspaper articles quoting personal experiences, but I could not find any references to controlled studies on this product that I could check. For those of us who would like to research the product further, could you please point to some publication references, or provide the names of researchers at the institutions you say are studying these supplements?

I wish the best to your family, and thank you in advance for your response.


> I was invited to view the discussion for Apr 8-10 regarding TRUEHOPE, the CNS brain disorder research taking place in Canada and the U.S. at four universities. (Researchers and scientists are participating from the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, University of Utah and Harvard University).
>
> I lost my first wife to suicide 7 years ago. She was 40 years old at the time and was a wonderful person and mother. Her story is found at http://www.truehope.com/aboutus.htm She struggled with Bipolar disorder 1 with rapid cycling. Her father also suicided 16 years before she did. I have four children with bipolar. Today because of the Truehope program they no longer exhibit any symptoms of the disorder and require no medications(for two of them it has been over 5 years).
>
> I am one of the founders of the research program and am driven with the rest of the Synergy Group of Canada Inc. to find lasting answers to the CNS Disorders of Clinical Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, ADHD, OCD etc.
>
> We believe that we are finding those answers. All of the CNS disorders are related to neuro chemical balance issues. This has been well established in science lit. The Japanese are proving that neuro chemistry is precursored by enzyme catalysts http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/
>
> Eg. The Serotonin precursor enzyme 4.1.1.28 (Aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase)uses the elements(minerals)Phosphate and Iron in order to produce Serotonin. http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00380.html
>
> We don't suffer CNS disorders because of a drug deficiency, prozac is never found in the natural neuro chemical equation. This research continues to prove that properly balanced neuro chemistry is based on nutrient intake in a balanced, bio-available format.
>
> Have I lived the nightmare of mental illnes in my family?. Yes. My daughter Autumn was on five different meds (Haldol, Epival, Klonipin, Ativan and Cogentin). She was suicidal like her mother and grandfather. She was Bipolar 1 with rapid cycling. For the past five years she has been med and symptom free and has helped hundreds of others like herself to find normality.
>
> We invite you to research for yourself.
>
> Yours Truly,
> Anthony F. Stephan
>
> Support@truehope.com
> www.truehope.com

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by Anthony F. Stephan on April 13, 2001, at 23:12:29

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited Anthony F. Stephan, posted by PolarBear on April 13, 2001, at 18:25:13

> Hi,
> I sympathize with your tragic losses, and hope that you have come across a solution that works for your family. It would be great if it also works for as broad a range of other disorders, and people, as you imply it does in your post. I am always skeptical, however, of any purported cures based on nutritional supplements that are sold to the general public.
> I got the impression from your post that you work for or own a company in Canada that sells a nutritional supplement program ("truehope") for treating "CNS Disorders," presumably through the mail, although this was not entirely clear to me from your post. Is this correct?
>
> At the truehope website you mentioned, I saw a couple of newspaper articles quoting personal experiences, but I could not find any references to controlled studies on this product that I could check. For those of us who would like to research the product further, could you please point to some publication references, or provide the names of researchers at the institutions you say are studying these supplements?
>
> I wish the best to your family, and thank you in advance for your response.
>
>
> > I was invited to view the discussion for Apr 8-10 regarding TRUEHOPE, the CNS brain disorder research taking place in Canada and the U.S. at four universities. (Researchers and scientists are participating from the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, University of Utah and Harvard University).
> >
> > I lost my first wife to suicide 7 years ago. She was 40 years old at the time and was a wonderful person and mother. Her story is found at http://www.truehope.com/aboutus.htm She struggled with Bipolar disorder 1 with rapid cycling. Her father also suicided 16 years before she did. I have four children with bipolar. Today because of the Truehope program they no longer exhibit any symptoms of the disorder and require no medications(for two of them it has been over 5 years).
> >
> > I am one of the founders of the research program and am driven with the rest of the Synergy Group of Canada Inc. to find lasting answers to the CNS Disorders of Clinical Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, ADHD, OCD etc.
> >
> > We believe that we are finding those answers. All of the CNS disorders are related to neuro chemical balance issues. This has been well established in science lit. The Japanese are proving that neuro chemistry is precursored by enzyme catalysts http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/
> >
> > Eg. The Serotonin precursor enzyme 4.1.1.28 (Aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase)uses the elements(minerals)Phosphate and Iron in order to produce Serotonin. http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00380.html
> >
> > We don't suffer CNS disorders because of a drug deficiency, prozac is never found in the natural neuro chemical equation. This research continues to prove that properly balanced neuro chemistry is based on nutrient intake in a balanced, bio-available format.
> >
> > Have I lived the nightmare of mental illnes in my family?. Yes. My daughter Autumn was on five different meds (Haldol, Epival, Klonipin, Ativan and Cogentin). She was suicidal like her mother and grandfather. She was Bipolar 1 with rapid cycling. For the past five years she has been med and symptom free and has helped hundreds of others like herself to find normality.
> >
> > We invite you to research for yourself.
> >
> > Yours Truly,
> > Anthony F. Stephan
> >
> > Support@truehope.com
> > www.truehope.com

Appreciate your kind comments regarding my family.

We are not marketing the product as of yet. We are bringing many people into the open case research program operated by Synergy - Truehope.

The universities also continue with their research as well. Publications are forthcoming as the studies are completed.

We have trained a number of research assistants on how to gather data and apply the nutrient therapy. These TAs(truehope assistants) work on a daily - weekly basis with the individuals suffering with the mental disorder and chart the progess in their return to health. They as well offer support to the participant. Many of the TAs are former patients that have returned to health through the Truehope program. This program is called the S.A.F.E. Call system (Symptom and Feedback Evaluation System. Quickly we will have an IVR system (Interactive Voice Response) system where the participant will be able to log their data over the telephone directly into the database.

We are hoping to have over 30,000 people in the database in the next 10 months.

Ultimately we will be able to prove that these disorders can be overcome with nutrition.

Much work has been completed in the past years demonstrating that nutrients can turn the mentally ill around.

Eg. The American Journal of Psychiatry (Formerly The American Journal of Insanity)
Under the Auspices of the American Psychiatric Association

November 1929 Volume 9 Page 569-580
"Report of the Treatment with Manganese Chloride of 181 cases of schizophrenia, 33 cases of manic depression, and 16 of other defects or psychoses at the Ontario Hospital, Brockville, Ontario"
W.M. English, M.D.

Conclusion....."the general welfare of the patients was much improved and the majority of them were able to be up and about and some to engage in useful employment...

This was completed using only one mineral compound.

The key to turning the disorder around is to supply the body with the nutrients that are the base for the production of the CNS neuro-transmitters.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation

Regards,
Anthony F. Stephan
http://www.truehope.com
support@truehope.com

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by kate9999 on April 14, 2001, at 4:14:29

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by Anthony F. Stephan on April 13, 2001, at 23:12:29

I read your booklet - I particularly love your recommendation that people with schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, etc. drop their medications when they reach an "adverse drug reaction" state.

This "open case research program" - let me take a wild guess - you charge a "small fee" to the subjects? Oh and Synergy Group the company operating the "research" - funny how all they've got is an Earthlink page under construction. Yeah that's a reputable company.

I'm sure there are people here who want to give you the benefit of the doubt. You don't deserve it. You're a con-artist and a liar, and "good4u" who posted about this stuff last week was an obvious shill you created. And I'll eat my laptop if your tragic wife or daughter even exist.

But you might even get away with this kind of scam because of those gaping irresponsible loopholes in the law which allow nutritional supplements and herbal remedies to be pawned off on the public as medical treatment without any kind of safety/efficacy data or FDA regulation. I'm sure it's no accident that the miracle cure you found contains nothing but nutritional supplements.

> Appreciate your kind comments regarding my family.
>
> We are not marketing the product as of yet. We are bringing many people into the open case research program operated by Synergy - Truehope.
>
> The universities also continue with their research as well. Publications are forthcoming as the studies are completed.
>
> We have trained a number of research assistants on how to gather data and apply the nutrient therapy. These TAs(truehope assistants) work on a daily - weekly basis with the individuals suffering with the mental disorder and chart the progess in their return to health. They as well offer support to the participant. Many of the TAs are former patients that have returned to health through the Truehope program. This program is called the S.A.F.E. Call system (Symptom and Feedback Evaluation System. Quickly we will have an IVR system (Interactive Voice Response) system where the participant will be able to log their data over the telephone directly into the database.
>
> We are hoping to have over 30,000 people in the database in the next 10 months.
>
> Ultimately we will be able to prove that these disorders can be overcome with nutrition.
>
> Much work has been completed in the past years demonstrating that nutrients can turn the mentally ill around.
>
> Eg. The American Journal of Psychiatry (Formerly The American Journal of Insanity)
> Under the Auspices of the American Psychiatric Association
>
> November 1929 Volume 9 Page 569-580
> "Report of the Treatment with Manganese Chloride of 181 cases of schizophrenia, 33 cases of manic depression, and 16 of other defects or psychoses at the Ontario Hospital, Brockville, Ontario"
> W.M. English, M.D.
>
> Conclusion....."the general welfare of the patients was much improved and the majority of them were able to be up and about and some to engage in useful employment...
>
> This was completed using only one mineral compound.
>
> The key to turning the disorder around is to supply the body with the nutrients that are the base for the production of the CNS neuro-transmitters.
>
> Sorry for the lengthy explanation
>
> Regards,
> Anthony F. Stephan
> http://www.truehope.com
> support@truehope.com

 

Re: please be civil kate9999

Posted by Dr. Bob on April 14, 2001, at 7:08:09

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by kate9999 on April 14, 2001, at 4:14:29

> I'm sure there are people here who want to give you the benefit of the doubt. You don't deserve it. You're a con-artist and a liar, and "good4u" who posted about this stuff last week was an obvious shill you created. And I'll eat my laptop if your tragic wife or daughter even exist.

Please be civil, or I will need to try to block you from posting. Thanks,

Bob

PS: Follow-ups regarding this, if not redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration, will be deleted.

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by JohnL on April 15, 2001, at 4:49:41

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by stjames on April 13, 2001, at 18:17:07

> Peer reviewed, double blind published studies please. Otherwise these claims have no meaning.
>
> james


I agree totally with StJames. In addition, the body only uses the precursors it needs and discards the rest. There is a negative feedback loop that governs the whole process. The one exception is 5HTP.

Though people do sometimes get well with diet modifications, it doesn't happen that often and it is not supported by scientific concensus. If it happens to work anecdotally for someone though, that is great news. I prefer instead to sample a few drugs from each class of drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos, stimulants) to discover by purposeful accident which works best for me. There is always a superior drug match for everyone. We just have to sample the different categories to narrow down the choices and find the best match. Sometimes people try zillions of antidepressants with no luck, or mood stabilizers with no luck, but completely ignore the other wonderful medicine categories.

My personal favorite for so-called treatment resistent depression is antipsychotic+stimulant (Zyprexa+Adrafinil specifically), with a little bit of an antidepressant in the background. Though everyone is different, we hear of a lot of success stories with the antipsychotics in treating depression, and it I wish doctors would use them more frequently and sooner.
John

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by wilhelm on October 27, 2003, at 13:27:36

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by JohnL on April 15, 2001, at 4:49:41

As always it is not the wisest thing to trust natural health options without first researching the products. In reference to Truehope please see news article below....

Schizophrenic stopped taking drugs; found not responsible for offences
Dropped medication for vitamin treatment

Jake Rupert
The Ottawa Citizen


Saturday, October 25, 2003

A man suffering from chronic schizophrenia who stopped taking his medication in favour of a controversial vitamin supplement from a company under investigation by the RCMP, was yesterday found not criminally responsible for actions he committed while off the medication.

Caro Overdulve, 32, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1993, had not come in contact with the law until he stopped taking his prescribed anti-psychotic medication and started taking Empowerplus in 2001. The vitamin supplement is sold by Alberta-based Truehope Inc., whose offices were raided this summer by the RCMP and Health Canada.

However, after switching to the vitamins, which were marketed as a cure for several mental health problems, Mr. Overdulve was charged with assault, mischief and criminal harassment.

On May 10, Mr. Overdulve assaulted a man waiting for the elevator at his Deerfield Drive apartment building. On May 17, Mr. Overdulve carved a profanity in his neighbour's door.

Upon arrest, he was deemed unfit to stand trial due to mental illness, meaning he couldn't even communicate properly with a lawyer, and was remanded to the Royal Ottawa Hospital.

He remained so until mid-August when doctors got a court order allowing them to inject Mr. Overdulve with anti-psychotic medication.

By late September, the medication had worked enough to have Mr. Overdulve declared fit to stand trial. A subsequent assessment to see if Mr. Overdulve wasn't responsible for his actions because his illness made it impossible for him to appreciate the gravity of his actions, found he fit the definition.

"At the time of the offences, he was off his medications and only taking the vitamins," Mr. Overdulve's forensic psychiatrist, Dr. Reghuvaran Kunjukrishnan, said yesterday in court.

After hearing evidence from the doctor, Ontario Court Judge David Dempsey found Mr. Overdulve not guilty by reason of mental illness and remanded him back to the custody of the Royal Ottawa Hospital.

An Ontario Mental Health Review Board hearing will outline Mr. Overdulve's treatment and where he will live.

At yesterday's hearing and in two reports submitted in court, Dr. Kunjuk-rishnan said the prognosis for Mr. Overdulve is good as long as he continues taking prescribed medication. However, the doctor said, Mr. Overdulve wants to stop taking his medication and return to the vitamins.

"In the long term, he's still hoping he can go on these vitamins again and stop his medication, and I am quite skeptical about that," the doctor said and added that more behaviour such as that which landed Mr. Overdulve in court could be the result of such a move.

Health Canada has moved to block the sale and distribution of Empowerplus since the company was raided in the summer. It alleges they were holding the vitamins out as an alternative to traditional medications for people suffering from mental illness without having done proper clinical trials.

The company's marketing methods are also being examined.

According to the doctor's report, when Mr. Overdulve stopped taking his medication in 2001 in favour of the vitamins, he had "further deterioration and relapse of his illness."

Copyright 2003 The Ottawa Citizen


> > Peer reviewed, double blind published studies please. Otherwise these claims have no meaning.
> >
> > james
>
>
> I agree totally with StJames. In addition, the body only uses the precursors it needs and discards the rest. There is a negative feedback loop that governs the whole process. The one exception is 5HTP.
>
> Though people do sometimes get well with diet modifications, it doesn't happen that often and it is not supported by scientific concensus. If it happens to work anecdotally for someone though, that is great news. I prefer instead to sample a few drugs from each class of drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos, stimulants) to discover by purposeful accident which works best for me. There is always a superior drug match for everyone. We just have to sample the different categories to narrow down the choices and find the best match. Sometimes people try zillions of antidepressants with no luck, or mood stabilizers with no luck, but completely ignore the other wonderful medicine categories.
>
> My personal favorite for so-called treatment resistent depression is antipsychotic+stimulant (Zyprexa+Adrafinil specifically), with a little bit of an antidepressant in the background. Though everyone is different, we hear of a lot of success stories with the antipsychotics in treating depression, and it I wish doctors would use them more frequently and sooner.
> John
>

 

Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited

Posted by bjGraves on February 23, 2006, at 3:13:30

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by wilhelm on October 27, 2003, at 13:27:36

There is much to be said on the net regarding this company and its puported reason for existence. In doing my own investigation on the subject I have found that these postings are old information indeed. Health Canada has lost their court case as well as already issued an NPN number for sale in Canada. There are University double blind studies under way as we speak and the 5 Medical Journals that have already done preliminary analysis of EMPower are pretty impressive. In my opinion anyone tossing this aside for their own pre-conceptions is absent of a scientific mind. I feel bad for Mr. Stephan that he has been the victim of so much rebuke. It appears he has several ememies and has gone through much in his personal life to bring him to this point. Obviously his story has validity otherwise Harvard et al would not have given this the light of day. Something of this nature could not survive this long based on a lie. It will be interesting to see the results of the studies.

 

Redirect: TRUEHOPE

Posted by Dr. Bob on February 25, 2006, at 13:38:26

In reply to Re: TRUEHOPE Revisited, posted by bjGraves on February 23, 2006, at 3:13:30

> There is much to be said on the net regarding this company and its puported reason for existence...

Welcome! And sorry to interrupt, but I'd now like to redirect this thread to Psycho-Babble Alternative. Here's a link:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20060130/msgs/613127.html

Thanks,

Bob


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.