Psycho-Babble Social Thread 952860

Shown: posts 1 to 5 of 5. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

How to vent suffering

Posted by pedr on July 1, 2010, at 15:58:25

Hi babblers,
I'm on Nardil 90mg for chronic major depression, OCD, anxiety and SP. I also have GERD (Acid Reflux) and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Some days and weeks are pretty good and some are pretty bad. When my IBS is bad, it causes depression that easily scythes through my CBT, REBT and OCD knowledge and the help that Nardil gives me. On these days I really don't want to be around and wish I could "fast forward" to when the IBS pain and resulting psychological pain relents. Quite often I'm ambivalent about living or dying. I'm not suicidal - I just wouldn't mind too much if I got whacked by a bus (if that makes sense).

I often feel like I want to make some kind of statement of just how horrible I often feel. Something visible to others or perhaps just meaningful to myself. Things that initially sprung to mind are:
- get a serious bit of tattooing done. I'm not cool enough to carry off a tattoo though I don't think...
- cutting. Maybe.
- shave my hair really close. Not really tough-looking enough to pull it off.
- taking up a dangerous sport/past-time. Possibly.
- ...

Then it occurred to me that I could put my desire to vent to good use. I could
- help out at a charity store
- teach underprivileged kids computing/english
- do loads of exercise and get fit/beefed up. The main problem here are the Nardil SE's that make exercise feel horrible.
- meditate. Tried that. OCD meditation = MEGA OCD
- other "positive" stuff.


But I'm not sure the positive stuff will make me feel vented or relieved. I dunno. I don't want to vent to my family as I don't want to bring them down and I don't want them to consider me self-centred and self-obsessed, which frankly I kind of am - depression does that to you.

Anyone else out there feel bottled up, that you want others to know what you go through each day somehow? That you want to acknowledge and release the pain you endure? If so, how do you vent the pain/suffering?

Pete

p.s. apologies if this is the wrong forum.
p.p.s. I should also add that Nardil is the only med that I've responded to positively and I'm doing the best I've ever done since my depression started. I do not wish to change meds right now.

 

Re: How to vent suffering

Posted by Dan_MI on July 1, 2010, at 15:58:25

In reply to How to vent suffering, posted by pedr on July 1, 2010, at 0:03:27

There are these "I Park Like An Idiot" bumper stickers that one is supposed to stick on cars that are badly parked.

> Hi babblers,
> I'm on Nardil 90mg for chronic major depression, OCD, anxiety and SP. I also have GERD (Acid Reflux) and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Some days and weeks are pretty good and some are pretty bad. When my IBS is bad, it causes depression that easily scythes through my CBT, REBT and OCD knowledge and the help that Nardil gives me. On these days I really don't want to be around and wish I could "fast forward" to when the IBS pain and resulting psychological pain relents. Quite often I'm ambivalent about living or dying. I'm not suicidal - I just wouldn't mind too much if I got whacked by a bus (if that makes sense).
>
> I often feel like I want to make some kind of statement of just how horrible I often feel. Something visible to others or perhaps just meaningful to myself. Things that initially sprung to mind are:
> - get a serious bit of tattooing done. I'm not cool enough to carry off a tattoo though I don't think...
> - cutting. Maybe.
> - shave my hair really close. Not really tough-looking enough to pull it off.
> - taking up a dangerous sport/past-time. Possibly.
> - ...
>
> Then it occurred to me that I could put my desire to vent to good use. I could
> - help out at a charity store
> - teach underprivileged kids computing/english
> - do loads of exercise and get fit/beefed up. The main problem here are the Nardil SE's that make exercise feel horrible.
> - meditate. Tried that. OCD meditation = MEGA OCD
> - other "positive" stuff.
>
>
> But I'm not sure the positive stuff will make me feel vented or relieved. I dunno. I don't want to vent to my family as I don't want to bring them down and I don't want them to consider me self-centred and self-obsessed, which frankly I kind of am - depression does that to you.
>
> Anyone else out there feel bottled up, that you want others to know what you go through each day somehow? That you want to acknowledge and release the pain you endure? If so, how do you vent the pain/suffering?
>
> Pete
>
> p.s. apologies if this is the wrong forum.
> p.p.s. I should also add that Nardil is the only med that I've responded to positively and I'm doing the best I've ever done since my depression started. I do not wish to change meds right now.

 

Re: How to vent suffering pedr

Posted by jade k on July 1, 2010, at 15:58:25

In reply to How to vent suffering, posted by pedr on July 1, 2010, at 0:03:27

> Hi babblers,

Hi there,

> I'm on Nardil 90mg for chronic major depression, OCD, anxiety and SP. I also have GERD (Acid Reflux) and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Some days and weeks are pretty good and some are pretty bad. When my IBS is bad, it causes depression that easily scythes through my CBT, REBT and OCD knowledge and the help that Nardil gives me. On these days I really don't want to be around and wish I could "fast forward" to when the IBS pain and resulting psychological pain relents.

That sounds pretty sucky I, too, have at times wanted to push the "fast forward" button.

>Quite often I'm ambivalent about living or dying. I'm not suicidal - I just wouldn't mind too much if I got whacked by a bus (if that makes sense).

It does, I think many of us have been there at some point.

>
> I often feel like I want to make some kind of statement of just how horrible I often feel. Something visible to others

You just did! Good for you.

> or perhaps just meaningful to myself. Things that initially sprung to mind are:
> - get a serious bit of tattooing done. I'm not cool enough to carry off a tattoo though I don't think...
> - cutting. Maybe.
> - shave my hair really close. Not really tough-looking enough to pull it off.
> - taking up a dangerous sport/past-time. Possibly.
> - ...

Lol, I think I'd hold off on that stuff till you're feeling yourself again (jmho). Hold off on the cutting permanently please!

>
> Then it occurred to me that I could put my desire to vent to good use. I could
> - help out at a charity store
> - teach underprivileged kids computing/english
> - do loads of exercise and get fit/beefed up. The main problem here are the Nardil SE's that make exercise feel horrible.

Whatever works!


> - meditate. Tried that. OCD meditation = MEGA OCD
> - other "positive" stuff.
>
>
> But I'm not sure the positive stuff will make me feel vented or relieved. I dunno. I don't want to vent to my family as I don't want to bring them down and I don't want them to consider me self-centred and self-obsessed, which frankly I kind of am - depression does that to you.
>
> Anyone else out there feel bottled up, that you want others to know what you go through each day somehow? That you want to acknowledge and release the pain you endure? If so, how do you vent the pain/suffering?

Looks like you're doing it by posting it here. Maybe some talk therapy? I don't think anyone cares if you "vent" here as long as you consider advice from time to time. (again, jmho)


>
> Pete
>
> p.s. apologies if this is the wrong forum.
> p.p.s. I should also add that Nardil is the only med that I've responded to positively and I'm doing the best I've ever done since my depression started. I do not wish to change meds right now.

If you're taking nardil and reporting your experiences on that I would think this forum is fine. And great that the nardil is working for you!

Good Luck with your journey to wellness :-)

~Jade

 

Re: How to vent suffering Dan_MI

Posted by pedr on July 1, 2010, at 15:58:26

In reply to Re: How to vent suffering, posted by Dan_MI on July 1, 2010, at 11:13:11

> There are these "I Park Like An Idiot" bumper stickers that one is supposed to stick on cars that are badly parked.

I don't own a car. I could always just slap the sticker on my forehead, it'd be a fairly good sign that I am mentally irregular.

 

Re: How to vent suffering

Posted by pedr on July 1, 2010, at 15:58:26

In reply to Re: How to vent suffering pedr, posted by jade k on July 1, 2010, at 11:13:43

>
> That sounds pretty sucky I, too, have at times wanted to push the "fast forward" button.
>

This is the first time in a while where this feeling has lingered. For some reason I'm not worrying that it's Nardil 'poop out'. Yet :)

> >
> > I often feel like I want to make some kind of statement of just how horrible I often feel. Something visible to others
>
> You just did! Good for you.
>

Yes and no. As has been documented heavily of late, the interwebs is a place of anonymity. It's much easier to admit home truths in anonymity. Somehow it doesn't provide much relief. Also, the readers of this post are most likely to have brain cooties of their own. I want to acknowledge, salute and broadcast the pain (sorry if that sounds melodramatic) across the board - outside of a closed sympathetic community.

>
> Lol, I think I'd hold off on that stuff till you're feeling yourself again (jmho). Hold off on the cutting permanently please!
>

But this is "feeling myself" I think. IBS and OCD and all the other good stuff is likely to be with me for some time to come. AFAIK IBS can just "end" at some point. No-one knows why and there aren't any other (non surgical and inadvisable) solutions. None.

>
> Looks like you're doing it by posting it here. Maybe some talk therapy? I don't think anyone cares if you "vent" here as long as you consider advice from time to time. (again, jmho)
>

I see a shrink once a week for OCD who is great. You're right, that can sometimes be a vent. Maybe I should make a cut-out shrink I can talk to. It'd be a damn sight cheaper.

>
> If you're taking nardil and reporting your experiences on that I would think this forum is fine. And great that the nardil is working for you!
>
> Good Luck with your journey to wellness :-)
>
> ~Jade
>
cheers Jade!
pete


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Social | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.