Psycho-Babble Social Thread 393482

Shown: posts 1 to 20 of 20. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Has anyone else noticed...

Posted by TexasChic on September 21, 2004, at 20:41:21

... that everyone seems to be losing it at the same time? Its like a full moon all the time or something!

 

I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer.

Posted by partlycloudy on September 22, 2004, at 6:51:05

In reply to Has anyone else noticed..., posted by TexasChic on September 21, 2004, at 20:41:21

Personally I think the lunar cycle has a big influence on mood. Maybe it's a tidal effect? Yes, I have noticed that we seem to have difficult times coinciding.
pc

p.s. how are you doing, TC? What's going on with you??

 

Re: Has anyone else noticed...

Posted by fayeroe on September 22, 2004, at 7:50:29

In reply to Has anyone else noticed..., posted by TexasChic on September 21, 2004, at 20:41:21

Miss TC: In another life, I was married to a surgeon. During the full moon, soldiers (from base here) were regularly gored in the ---- by the buffalo at nearby refuge, wives were beaten by husbands, car wrecks increased, stabbings increased, as did shootings....you name it, if it was violent, it showed up in ER. there is something to the suspicion that the full moon causes people to deviate from their normal mood and end up hurt or alone or whatever.p.s. there are more admissions to the psych center here during the full moon........

 

Re: Has anyone else noticed...

Posted by gardenergirl on September 22, 2004, at 18:15:09

In reply to Re: Has anyone else noticed..., posted by fayeroe on September 22, 2004, at 7:50:29

Ugh, maybe that's why a large picture frame fell off the shelf at a discount store today and landed squarely on my big toe! And of course I was wearing open-toed shoes. (just typed shores first...tidal indfluence???) Anyway, I feel like a big baby, but it hurts so much, and I just need to whine......

whine.......

gg

 

Re: I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer. partlycloudy

Posted by TexasChic on September 22, 2004, at 18:51:57

In reply to I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer., posted by partlycloudy on September 22, 2004, at 6:51:05

I'm okay. I was really freaking out before because even if I started working right away I wouldn't have the money in time for rent. But my Mom and Grandmother said they will help me, so that's a big relief. They really don't have any money either, but they're swinging it somehow. At first my Mom was just kind of like, oh well, but I think it finally occured to her that I've always been the one to help everyone else, and now I need help. My Grandmother wanted to help all along, but she doesn't realize she doesn't have any money.

Other than that, I've finally got a few interviews coming in. Why does it take 3 weeks for them to get back to you???

I'm still a little down, and I feel like I'm trying to get sick. But I'm hanging in there. At least my jaw pain has settled down. I hope you're doing okay. :-)

Oh, and GG, I'm sorry about your toe! That sucks!

 

Re: I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer. TexasChic

Posted by gardenergirl on September 22, 2004, at 19:32:53

In reply to Re: I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer. partlycloudy, posted by TexasChic on September 22, 2004, at 18:51:57

I hope the weeks go by quickly and you hear soon. I hate that waiting.

And thanks about the toe!
gg

 

Re: TC

Posted by Catgirl on September 22, 2004, at 19:36:51

In reply to Re: I bet Larry Hoover knows the answer. partlycloudy, posted by TexasChic on September 22, 2004, at 18:51:57

> I'm okay. I was really freaking out before because even if I started working right away I wouldn't have the money in time for rent. But my Mom and Grandmother said they will help me, so that's a big relief. They really don't have any money either, but they're swinging it somehow. At first my Mom was just kind of like, oh well, but I think it finally occured to her that I've always been the one to help everyone else, and now I need help. My Grandmother wanted to help all along, but she doesn't realize she doesn't have any money.
>
> Other than that, I've finally got a few interviews coming in. Why does it take 3 weeks for them to get back to you???
>
> I'm still a little down, and I feel like I'm trying to get sick. But I'm hanging in there. At least my jaw pain has settled down. I hope you're doing okay. :-)
>
> Oh, and GG, I'm sorry about your toe! That sucks!

I'm glad to hear you have interviews! Isn't it ridiculous how long it takes for them to get back to you? If they advertise an opening, you would assume that they actually *need* someone!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of jaw pain do you have? I have TMJ and it's been acting up lately, so I can sympathize with you.

 

You can add me to the list

Posted by Gabbix2 on September 22, 2004, at 20:41:08

In reply to Re: TC, posted by Catgirl on September 22, 2004, at 19:36:51

I've been in a funk for two weeks, and things have not been better for me in a long time.
And usually fall is an "up" time for me..

Odd..

 

Re: TMJ

Posted by TexasChic on September 23, 2004, at 7:01:00

In reply to Re: TC, posted by Catgirl on September 22, 2004, at 19:36:51

Yes, it is TMJ. I've stuggled with it for years. I had jaw surgery & TMJ surgery a couple of years ago. It helped to a certain extent, my jaw no longer pops or locks up like it used to (I actually had it get stuck one time where I couldn't close my mouth all the way to chew!) So I'm definitly better off. And my doctor told me there's no way it could get out of place again because he put screws in. But about a year after the surgery I started having pain again. I called my doctor and they said he no longer treated TMJ because the insurance wouldn't pay. He wouldn't even talk to me. Whenever I get stressed I clench my jaw and that's what causes it to flare up. Before surgery it hurt bad every single day, so I guess I should be grateful.

 

Re: You can add me to the list Gabbix2

Posted by TexasChic on September 23, 2004, at 7:17:42

In reply to You can add me to the list, posted by Gabbix2 on September 22, 2004, at 20:41:08

Its just weird isn't it. I have a friend who I've been trying to get a hold of, but she would never return my calls. Finally she called the other day and it turns out her Grandmother died, then her Dad had to have open heart surgery, then before he recovered from that he was diagnosed with lung cancer, then her husband came home one day and told her he wasn't happy in the marriage. I was like, d@mn girl!

Then my brother called and he's having more and more trouble with his bipolar, and his wife just doesn't understand and its causing problems between them. He called to talk about it the other day, but when he heard how I was doing, he said we could talk about it later. I guess its pretty serious though. Part of the problem is her father is one of those people who doesn't believe in taking anti-depressants and thinks my brother should just snap out of it. So that makes it harder for her to be able to understand.

Does anyone know of a book to help someone living with a bipolar person? Something that would explain it and show her his behavior is 'normal' for someone with this illness? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

So anyway, it seems like everyone around me is losing it! I'm almost ready to become a hermit and live in a cave somewhere.

 

Re: one book suggestion TexasChic

Posted by Gabbix2 on September 23, 2004, at 15:59:12

In reply to Re: You can add me to the list Gabbix2, posted by TexasChic on September 23, 2004, at 7:17:42

This is a small short book, but fairly comprehensive. And I find that if you hand someone who isn't really open to the reality of depression a thick book the chances are it won't get looked at. At least a small paperback may lay around and get leafed through when someone is bored. This one surprised me because it looked so cheesy, but has some really good tips for friends and family members as well as current medication information.

It's called "Why am I up, Why am I down?"
Understanding Bipolar Disorder. Roger Granet M.D.

I hope that helps.

 

Re: You can add me to the list TexasChic

Posted by karaS on September 23, 2004, at 15:59:29

In reply to Re: You can add me to the list Gabbix2, posted by TexasChic on September 23, 2004, at 7:17:42

> Its just weird isn't it. I have a friend who I've been trying to get a hold of, but she would never return my calls. Finally she called the other day and it turns out her Grandmother died, then her Dad had to have open heart surgery, then before he recovered from that he was diagnosed with lung cancer, then her husband came home one day and told her he wasn't happy in the marriage. I was like, d@mn girl!
>
> Then my brother called and he's having more and more trouble with his bipolar, and his wife just doesn't understand and its causing problems between them. He called to talk about it the other day, but when he heard how I was doing, he said we could talk about it later. I guess its pretty serious though. Part of the problem is her father is one of those people who doesn't believe in taking anti-depressants and thinks my brother should just snap out of it. So that makes it harder for her to be able to understand.
>
> Does anyone know of a book to help someone living with a bipolar person? Something that would explain it and show her his behavior is 'normal' for someone with this illness? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> So anyway, it seems like everyone around me is losing it! I'm almost ready to become a hermit and live in a cave somewhere.


I haven't read it yet but I hear that Kay Jamison's (I'm not sure I've gotten the spelling right here) book "An Unquiet Mind" is supposed to be quite good. Also, Jane Pauley has a book out now on her experience with being bipolar. That might hit home more for some people because they can relate to her so easily.

 

Re: TMJ

Posted by Catgirl on September 23, 2004, at 18:43:22

In reply to Re: TMJ, posted by TexasChic on September 23, 2004, at 7:01:00

> Yes, it is TMJ. I've stuggled with it for years. I had jaw surgery & TMJ surgery a couple of years ago. It helped to a certain extent, my jaw no longer pops or locks up like it used to (I actually had it get stuck one time where I couldn't close my mouth all the way to chew!) So I'm definitly better off. And my doctor told me there's no way it could get out of place again because he put screws in. But about a year after the surgery I started having pain again. I called my doctor and they said he no longer treated TMJ because the insurance wouldn't pay. He wouldn't even talk to me. Whenever I get stressed I clench my jaw and that's what causes it to flare up. Before surgery it hurt bad every single day, so I guess I should be grateful.

TMJ is incredibly painful. I've had it for over 10 years now. I had a bad headache 24-7. By the time I went to see someone, I would have given them every penny I had to make the pain stop. It ended up costing a lot, insurance didn't cover a lot of it. I had my bite adjusted, and it has helped quite a bit but I still have flare-ups. Most of the pain comes with stress and if I eat something too chewy. I clench. I don't do it while I am awake now, just when I'm asleep.
I'm glad to talk to someone who can relate, but sorry that you have to deal with it too.

 

Re: Books

Posted by TexasChic on September 24, 2004, at 20:31:41

In reply to Re: You can add me to the list TexasChic, posted by karaS on September 23, 2004, at 15:59:29

Thanks you guys for the book titles. I looked them up and they both look really good!

 

Re: TMJ

Posted by TexasChic on September 24, 2004, at 21:12:33

In reply to Re: TMJ, posted by Catgirl on September 23, 2004, at 18:43:22

> TMJ is incredibly painful. I've had it for over 10 years now. I had a bad headache 24-7. By the time I went to see someone, I would have given them every penny I had to make the pain stop. It ended up costing a lot, insurance didn't cover a lot of it. I had my bite adjusted, and it has helped quite a bit but I still have flare-ups. Most of the pain comes with stress and if I eat something too chewy. I clench. I don't do it while I am awake now, just when I'm asleep.
> I'm glad to talk to someone who can relate, but sorry that you have to deal with it too.>

Back at ya. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Mine was 24/7 as well, and of course, no one wants to give you narcotics for it! And that's the only thing that works. My surgery did help, but when I'm stressed like I am now, it flares up with a vengence.

I also have chronic pelvic pain which is currently under control with birth control pills. But when I was 15 and had pain so bad it make me throw up for two days every month, it was quite traumatic. I had surgery for that too, as well as Lupron shots, which puts you into a medically induced menopause not fun, let me tell you. So since my doctor couldn't fix it, and you can't exactly prove pain, it was detemined I must be a drug seeker. Luckily I stumbled upon a BC that miraculously helped (I had tried dozens and dozens before that), and now take them around the clock. No period, no pain.

So with all this along with my anxiety, depression, and OCD, I pretty much feel like a medical freak. Its hard to get anyone to believe I'm not a hypocondriac. Man, no wonder I'm so screwed up!

But yet I still feel like a whiner.

 

Re: TMJ TexasChic

Posted by Catgirl on September 25, 2004, at 10:44:41

In reply to Re: TMJ, posted by TexasChic on September 24, 2004, at 21:12:33

> > TMJ is incredibly painful. I've had it for over 10 years now. I had a bad headache 24-7. By the time I went to see someone, I would have given them every penny I had to make the pain stop. It ended up costing a lot, insurance didn't cover a lot of it. I had my bite adjusted, and it has helped quite a bit but I still have flare-ups. Most of the pain comes with stress and if I eat something too chewy. I clench. I don't do it while I am awake now, just when I'm asleep.
> > I'm glad to talk to someone who can relate, but sorry that you have to deal with it too.>
>
> Back at ya. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Mine was 24/7 as well, and of course, no one wants to give you narcotics for it! And that's the only thing that works. My surgery did help, but when I'm stressed like I am now, it flares up with a vengence.
>
> I also have chronic pelvic pain which is currently under control with birth control pills. But when I was 15 and had pain so bad it make me throw up for two days every month, it was quite traumatic. I had surgery for that too, as well as Lupron shots, which puts you into a medically induced menopause not fun, let me tell you. So since my doctor couldn't fix it, and you can't exactly prove pain, it was detemined I must be a drug seeker. Luckily I stumbled upon a BC that miraculously helped (I had tried dozens and dozens before that), and now take them around the clock. No period, no pain.
>
> So with all this along with my anxiety, depression, and OCD, I pretty much feel like a medical freak. Its hard to get anyone to believe I'm not a hypocondriac. Man, no wonder I'm so screwed up!
>
> But yet I still feel like a whiner.

With my TMJ, the dentist/specialist I saw wanted me to take three ibuprofen tablets every 3 or 4 hours. And ya know what? It freaked me out! I think it's a little known fact that large doses of ibuprofen can have a mind-altering effect on some people. So I took the minimum amount and suffered through it.

I'm glad that you found something to help with your pelvic pain, but it's ridiculous that you were labeled a drug seeker just because they couldn't help you. Not everyone responds to traditional cures and sometimes the doctors just need to work a little harder!

I can relate to your anxiety and depression. What meds are you on? I was proud of myself last night, I was able to go out to eat at a new place with three other people for my birthday and keep a handle on my anxiety (normally something like that would make me panic). woo hoo!

Oh, and you are not a medial freak, hypocondriac, or whiner. Are you able to surround yourself with people that understand?

 

Re: TMJ TexasChic

Posted by boomarang on September 27, 2004, at 12:58:49

In reply to Re: TMJ, posted by TexasChic on September 24, 2004, at 21:12:33

i have had tmj for about a year now. i've been chewing gum to make my jaw muscles unclench but from what you say i'm doing exactly the wrong thing. no wonder it itsn't getting any better. i just made an appt with a neuromuscular dr. but i'm not sure i'll go if he isn't covered by my insurance. my chiropractor showed me how you can hold fingers right in front of your ears and see how one side opens before the other. i think this is tmj. i have the jaw pain and the headaches.

i also have pelvic pain. a few months ago i went in and they took out my right ovary and the fallopian tube on that side. it helped but every now and then it is just as painful as it was. i guess i shouldn't complain as it is now 10 percent of the time instead of 80 percent.
i feel for you. i felt like a hypocondriac but persisted to a third doctor until i could get the surgery.

 

Re: TMJ Catgirl

Posted by TexasChic on September 28, 2004, at 19:52:15

In reply to Re: TMJ TexasChic, posted by Catgirl on September 25, 2004, at 10:44:41

Good for you going out on your birthday! That's definitely a step in the right direction. I've found the anticipation of a social event seems to be worse than the actual event sometimes.
As for my meds, I'm on Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Xanax as needed. They work pretty well. I was just feeling sorry for myself in that last post. I'm doing better now though. I don't really have many friends right now, but for the first time in a while I'm okay with that. I'm trying to learn how to be happy with myself.

 

Re: TMJ

Posted by TexasChic on September 28, 2004, at 20:05:25

In reply to Re: TMJ TexasChic, posted by boomarang on September 27, 2004, at 12:58:49

Wow, someone else with tmj and pelvic pain! I haven't ever met anyone else who has both. Not that its a great club to be in or anything.

Yeah, chewing gum is about the worst thing you can do for tmj. You should try to rest your jaw as much as possible. I've found a heating pad helps sometimes too. Good luck with the doctor. Its hard to get insurance to cover anything tmj related.

I'm glad your surgery helped your pelvic pain at least some. What has helped me is taking birth control and skipping the placebos, so I just never have a period.

Hope you're feeling good today!

 

thanks! hope you are pain free too! (nm) TexasChic

Posted by boomarang on September 28, 2004, at 22:21:23

In reply to Re: TMJ, posted by TexasChic on September 28, 2004, at 20:05:25


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Social | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.