Psycho-Babble Social Thread 10692

Shown: posts 1 to 25 of 32. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Psycho-Babble Open for all

Posted by susan C on September 2, 2001, at 14:29:26

Hi,

Just a note to say to those who haven't tried or tried the Open part of this Babble business to try again. Some tried the headphone/mike business and decided it was a little too overwhelming. It is amazing to hear the voices of people you have met here on this board, but at the same time, in order to do it you need special equipment.

I think, if I may be so bold as to say, that the consensus is to keep it to typing.

For me talking is too fast. With typing, even though the Open is not archived, you can go back to read what has been said from the time you have signed on...I appreciate this because I get lost sometimes and need to re pick up the train of thought.

It is also nice it is not archived because the conversations get pretty spontanious.

Since some of us, willow, susan c., mila, dreamer, kingfish aka krazykat, paxvox, kiddo, kid a , Sal4me and more have visited, the sign up has gone from 90 to 116, so, we know you are out there.

I am usually on til about 8:30PM pacific time, I check in during the day and would like to meet y'all. I use it as all part of getting my brain working. It is hard work to keep all you guys straight and remember what is up.

The best description of how to sign up is to click on psycho-babble open below and follow directions. If you have questions, keep trying. You need to sign up ahead of time to allow for confirmation. If all else fails post here or admin and someone will answer.

Remember, we are typing only, to allow us slower ones time to gather our wandering sheep herd of thought.

Susan C

 

Re: Psycho-Babble Open for all

Posted by sar on September 2, 2001, at 22:46:56

In reply to Psycho-Babble Open for all, posted by susan C on September 2, 2001, at 14:29:26

hi,

i just tried to log on and got the message that this service is "temporarily unavailable"...will try a bit later...(also, i lack microphone/headphones. i've a curiosity in hearing yalls voices, we're just not that hi-tech at my house yet.)

hopefully one day i'll get in!

sar

 

Re: Psycho-Babble Open for all

Posted by Kristi on September 2, 2001, at 23:00:06

In reply to Re: Psycho-Babble Open for all, posted by sar on September 2, 2001, at 22:46:56

I'm still tryin' too... it's not working.


> hi,
>
> i just tried to log on and got the message that this service is "temporarily unavailable"...will try a bit later...(also, i lack microphone/headphones. i've a curiosity in hearing yalls voices, we're just not that hi-tech at my house yet.)
>
> hopefully one day i'll get in!
>
> sar

 

open, no special equipment needed

Posted by susan C on September 3, 2001, at 9:52:49

In reply to Re: Psycho-Babble Open for all, posted by Kristi on September 2, 2001, at 23:00:06

Well, you shouldnt need the earphones and mic to type in your converstation. There are some error messages that show up in the viewing box if you dont have that equipment but it shouldnt keep you from typing.

Give me a time and I will try to be on line too and see if we can give it a go.

I will be around almost all day today.

Susan C, Your Mouse In the House


>
>
>
>
>
>
> > hi,
> >
> > i just tried to log on and got the message that this service is "temporarily unavailable"...will try a bit later...(also, i lack microphone/headphones. i've a curiosity in hearing yalls voices, we're just not that hi-tech at my house yet.)
> >
> > hopefully one day i'll get in!
> >
> > sar

 

Re: open, no special equipment needed susan C

Posted by sar on September 3, 2001, at 12:52:52

In reply to open, no special equipment needed, posted by susan C on September 3, 2001, at 9:52:49

susan,

i finally got in last night, but no one was there! i may just be one of the only night-owls...i usually don't get off work 'til midnight (central time) and don't wake up until it's time to start getting ready for work (right now). i'll check in tonight for any other insomniacs, unless my drinking buds snag me, in which case i wouldn't get to the computer til 'round 3 a.m.

maybe my day off (thursday) i can try it earlier...hope to see you there sometime, mouse...

sar

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks...

Posted by Wendy B. on September 4, 2001, at 22:09:51

In reply to Psycho-Babble Open for all, posted by susan C on September 2, 2001, at 14:29:26

Let the Rant Begin!

I had to say that. Their web site, their interface, and their software sucks. The fact that you have to have a Yahoo e-mail address if you want to chat sucks. (Like I have time to check my In box at Yahoo...) How many people do we have to have who say it took 20 visits to Yahoo before the open chat function worked?

Is it all Mac people? I am on a Mac. I finally did get it to work, but not till after many many tries. Blech! Fie! Fiendish, accursed, crappy downloads! Oy vey, who needs it?

End of Rant.


(W.)


> Hi,
>
> Just a note to say to those who haven't tried or tried the Open part of this Babble business to try again. Some tried the headphone/mike business and decided it was a little too overwhelming. It is amazing to hear the voices of people you have met here on this board, but at the same time, in order to do it you need special equipment.
>
> I think, if I may be so bold as to say, that the consensus is to keep it to typing.
>
> For me talking is too fast. With typing, even though the Open is not archived, you can go back to read what has been said from the time you have signed on...I appreciate this because I get lost sometimes and need to re pick up the train of thought.
>
> It is also nice it is not archived because the conversations get pretty spontanious.
>
> Since some of us, willow, susan c., mila, dreamer, kingfish aka krazykat, paxvox, kiddo, kid a , Sal4me and more have visited, the sign up has gone from 90 to 116, so, we know you are out there.
>
> I am usually on til about 8:30PM pacific time, I check in during the day and would like to meet y'all. I use it as all part of getting my brain working. It is hard work to keep all you guys straight and remember what is up.
>
> The best description of how to sign up is to click on psycho-babble open below and follow directions. If you have questions, keep trying. You need to sign up ahead of time to allow for confirmation. If all else fails post here or admin and someone will answer.
>
> Remember, we are typing only, to allow us slower ones time to gather our wandering sheep herd of thought.
>
> Susan C

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks...

Posted by Willow on September 4, 2001, at 23:12:33

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks..., posted by Wendy B. on September 4, 2001, at 22:09:51

> The fact that you have to have a Yahoo e-mail address if you want to chat sucks.

I didn't get a Yahoo e-mail. But I do concur that it is awkward. Should we do a search for a better place to chat?

Whispering Willow

 

Re: I'm sorry, but... Willow

Posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 0:01:11

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks..., posted by Willow on September 4, 2001, at 23:12:33

> > The fact that you have to have a Yahoo e-mail address if you want to chat sucks.
>
> I didn't get a Yahoo e-mail. But I do concur that it is awkward. Should we do a search for a better place to chat?
>
> Whispering Willow


Yes, you did have to get a Yahoo e-mail. It's whisperingwillowca@yahoo.com. As soon as you give yourself a name, and make up a password, you are a Yahoo-ligan... Check it out on the link that says "My Account." On your personal profile page, you can put yer picture there and everything... Tell people what your hobbies are, etc., they will write e-mails to you based on your self-description... etc. (All kinda boring to me, but some people might like it...)

For a test, I will send you an e-mail message to your Yahoo account, and you go in there and try to find your In Box, and see if it's there...

"Testing, testing, this is only a test..."

fondly,
Wendy

 

Re: Willow: disclaimer

Posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 9:05:42

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but... Willow, posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 0:01:11

hey willow,

i tried and it failed... i was absolutely sure everyone had to have an e-mail account with Yahoo in order to sign on. i am also sure that it forced me to do it, so what can i say??? i am mentally ill (great friggin' excuse)! i thought everyone had to do the same log-on procedure... now i'm totally confused... sorry to give you erroneous information...

a dumbfounded,
wendy

> > > The fact that you have to have a Yahoo e-mail address if you want to chat sucks.
> >
> > I didn't get a Yahoo e-mail. But I do concur that it is awkward. Should we do a search for a better place to chat?
> >
> > Whispering Willow
>
>
> Yes, you did have to get a Yahoo e-mail. It's whisperingwillowca@yahoo.com. As soon as you give yourself a name, and make up a password, you are a Yahoo-ligan... Check it out on the link that says "My Account." On your personal profile page, you can put yer picture there and everything... Tell people what your hobbies are, etc., they will write e-mails to you based on your self-description... etc. (All kinda boring to me, but some people might like it...)
>
> For a test, I will send you an e-mail message to your Yahoo account, and you go in there and try to find your In Box, and see if it's there...
>
> "Testing, testing, this is only a test..."
>
> fondly,
> Wendy

 

Re: Willow: disclaimer Wendy B.

Posted by Greg on September 5, 2001, at 9:35:29

In reply to Re: Willow: disclaimer, posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 9:05:42

Hey Wendy,

Yahell doesn't require you to have one of their e-mail addresses, but they do require you to have one of their IDs (screen name).

But alas, I'm afraid once you've learned to hate hate Yahell, there is no turning back...

> hey willow,
>
> i tried and it failed... i was absolutely sure everyone had to have an e-mail account with Yahoo in order to sign on. i am also sure that it forced me to do it, so what can i say??? i am mentally ill (great friggin' excuse)! i thought everyone had to do the same log-on procedure... now i'm totally confused... sorry to give you erroneous information...
>
> a dumbfounded,
> wendy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > > > The fact that you have to have a Yahoo e-mail address if you want to chat sucks.
> > >
> > > I didn't get a Yahoo e-mail. But I do concur that it is awkward. Should we do a search for a better place to chat?
> > >
> > > Whispering Willow
> >
> >
> > Yes, you did have to get a Yahoo e-mail. It's whisperingwillowca@yahoo.com. As soon as you give yourself a name, and make up a password, you are a Yahoo-ligan... Check it out on the link that says "My Account." On your personal profile page, you can put yer picture there and everything... Tell people what your hobbies are, etc., they will write e-mails to you based on your self-description... etc. (All kinda boring to me, but some people might like it...)
> >
> > For a test, I will send you an e-mail message to your Yahoo account, and you go in there and try to find your In Box, and see if it's there...
> >
> > "Testing, testing, this is only a test..."
> >
> > fondly,
> > Wendy

 

Re: Greg: disclaimer

Posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 9:44:14

In reply to Re: Willow: disclaimer Wendy B., posted by Greg on September 5, 2001, at 9:35:29

> Hey Wendy,
>
> Yahell doesn't require you to have one of their e-mail addresses, but they do require you to have one of their IDs (screen name).
>
> But alas, I'm afraid once you've learned to hate hate Yahell, there is no turning back...

greg,

i love it - Yahell! BTW, i've hated it for a long time, ever since i first went on netscape lo, these many years ago. the constant, nagging advertisements are just so crappy... i know it's how they pay the bills, but it's so 'in your face,' if you know what i mean...

well, i will now go and get rid of my yahell e-mail, and will report back later. thanks for the laugh...

wendy


> > hey willow,
> >
> > i tried and it failed... i was absolutely sure everyone had to have an e-mail account with Yahoo in order to sign on. i am also sure that it forced me to do it, so what can i say??? i am mentally ill (great friggin' excuse)! i thought everyone had to do the same log-on procedure... now i'm totally confused... sorry to give you erroneous information...
> >
> > a dumbfounded,
> > wendy

 

I am a knee jerk microsoft geek (nm) Wendy B.

Posted by susan C on September 5, 2001, at 10:42:36

In reply to Re: Greg: disclaimer, posted by Wendy B. on September 5, 2001, at 9:44:14

 

I thought it was Micro$oft........np

Posted by Shar on September 5, 2001, at 22:30:38

In reply to I am a knee jerk microsoft geek (nm) Wendy B., posted by susan C on September 5, 2001, at 10:42:36

x

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks...

Posted by sar on September 6, 2001, at 1:12:13

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks..., posted by Wendy B. on September 4, 2001, at 22:09:51

when i opened an e-mail account a year or so ago i chose yahoo because it sounded happy and whimsical...the only other option i knew of, hotmail, sounded like, lewd or something...

when i signed into chat the other night (under the influence of alcohol, admittedly) i was shocked that my yahoo adress appeared on the list of chat-ees! 'cos my e-mail addy is my first and middle name. i don't know how much i even care about anonymity here, it feels safe, all yall seem to be far far away, and what've i got to hide anyway, but--i've got to agree. Yahoo is a bitch.

i don't know much about computers/chatting, but aren't there lots of chatrooms available? i know that at icq you can create your own but then anyone could join in and that would be kind of weird (i imagine pranksters would be drawn to the "psycho-social babble" title--maybe we could name it something completely innocuous and boring, like Lawn Maintenance or Quilting Today or DataClerks Daily?

sar

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... sar

Posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 7:43:30

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks..., posted by sar on September 6, 2001, at 1:12:13

> when i opened an e-mail account a year or so ago i chose yahoo because it sounded happy and whimsical...the only other option i knew of, hotmail, sounded like, lewd or something...
>
> when i signed into chat the other night (under the influence of alcohol, admittedly) i was shocked that my yahoo adress appeared on the list of chat-ees! 'cos my e-mail addy is my first and middle name. i don't know how much i even care about anonymity here, it feels safe, all yall seem to be far far away, and what've i got to hide anyway, but--i've got to agree. Yahoo is a bitch.
>
> i don't know much about computers/chatting, but aren't there lots of chatrooms available? i know that at icq you can create your own but then anyone could join in and that would be kind of weird (i imagine pranksters would be drawn to the "psycho-social babble" title--maybe we could name it something completely innocuous and boring, like Lawn Maintenance or Quilting Today or DataClerks Daily?
>
> sar

LOVE IT! Sar, you're the best... Quilting Today would get a lot of people, I'm sure! Anyway, yeah, one time last year, I think, the same thing happened, and my real e-mail address appeared on Yahoo... I was similarly mortified. The interface (the thing people like you and I see) is very confusing, and makes people put the wrong thing in the boxes. In the psy-babble administration post, I asked if this was the complaint dept as a joke, I know Dr. Bob is not responsible for the Yahoo troubles, nor can he do anything about them. The only thing we could do is find another chat provider and split off, making a post every week or so on the PSB board that it's taking place on another site. I'm not really up on these things, but maybe we can find out somehow where else we could do it... What's ICQ?

BTW, I asked Yahoo admin if I could lose the e-mail but stay in Yahoo Groups, but they said no... How did people like Willow and Greg sign on without getting a yahoo e-mail address? I'm still baffled, and I'm somewhat of a geek! ... What gives??? Anybody out there who gets it?

Here's hoping we can chat in this lifetime. I'm uncomfortable going into P-Babble chat open at the moment...

Yers,

Wendy

 

Sar and Wendy

Posted by Willow on September 6, 2001, at 8:47:49

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... sar, posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 7:43:30

I posted my "real" email address. Aghhh! ICQ really isn't the answer either. I have it on but it is a pain to download, had someone do it for me and you get weird messages, though I've noticed that they are less frequent.

I will do a search for a more user friendly place to chat. Wish me luck in my travels. I shall report back!

 

Re: Sar and Wendy Willow

Posted by sar on September 6, 2001, at 9:13:57

In reply to Sar and Wendy, posted by Willow on September 6, 2001, at 8:47:49

icq is a really busy place, lots of weird messages...good luck on your travels, Willow--i'm sure there must be some safe place...i'll explore if i get the chance, too sleepy-drunk right now...having my real name posted on yahoo made me feel naked, way too naked!

i'm not very much a computer person so i don't know much about this business...i'm a TECHNICAL DUMMY really, the kind that copied others' math and science homework all throughout school and conned friends into hooking up my stereo/computer what have you...and as i said on another post, my cognition ain't the best. let's do something simple, shall we? would love to speak with yall but the yahoo system kind of freaks me out...

sar

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... Wendy B.

Posted by Greg on September 6, 2001, at 9:38:18

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... sar, posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 7:43:30

Wendy,

I've been running a Yahell group for over a year and over half of the members don't have Yahell e-mail addresses. The friendly personnel at admin is, shall we say, yanking your chain? When I get some time this afternoon, I'll create a new e-mail thru excite or hotmail or something like that and write down the process and then post the steps to PBA if you like. I know there's a way around this. BTW, I do use a Yahoo e-mail for my group, I just know that you don't have to.

ICQ is an option if you don't mind getting XXX sites mailed to you every two hours or so...

Greg

> > when i opened an e-mail account a year or so ago i chose yahoo because it sounded happy and whimsical...the only other option i knew of, hotmail, sounded like, lewd or something...
> >
> > when i signed into chat the other night (under the influence of alcohol, admittedly) i was shocked that my yahoo adress appeared on the list of chat-ees! 'cos my e-mail addy is my first and middle name. i don't know how much i even care about anonymity here, it feels safe, all yall seem to be far far away, and what've i got to hide anyway, but--i've got to agree. Yahoo is a bitch.
> >
> > i don't know much about computers/chatting, but aren't there lots of chatrooms available? i know that at icq you can create your own but then anyone could join in and that would be kind of weird (i imagine pranksters would be drawn to the "psycho-social babble" title--maybe we could name it something completely innocuous and boring, like Lawn Maintenance or Quilting Today or DataClerks Daily?
> >
> > sar
>
>
>
> LOVE IT! Sar, you're the best... Quilting Today would get a lot of people, I'm sure! Anyway, yeah, one time last year, I think, the same thing happened, and my real e-mail address appeared on Yahoo... I was similarly mortified. The interface (the thing people like you and I see) is very confusing, and makes people put the wrong thing in the boxes. In the psy-babble administration post, I asked if this was the complaint dept as a joke, I know Dr. Bob is not responsible for the Yahoo troubles, nor can he do anything about them. The only thing we could do is find another chat provider and split off, making a post every week or so on the PSB board that it's taking place on another site. I'm not really up on these things, but maybe we can find out somehow where else we could do it... What's ICQ?
>
> BTW, I asked Yahoo admin if I could lose the e-mail but stay in Yahoo Groups, but they said no... How did people like Willow and Greg sign on without getting a yahoo e-mail address? I'm still baffled, and I'm somewhat of a geek! ... What gives??? Anybody out there who gets it?
>
> Here's hoping we can chat in this lifetime. I'm uncomfortable going into P-Babble chat open at the moment...
>
> Yers,
>
> Wendy

 

Re: Greg

Posted by Kristi on September 6, 2001, at 9:49:07

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... Wendy B., posted by Greg on September 6, 2001, at 9:38:18

Hi Greg,

Obviously.... you are the president of another message website. Would you be willing to post what that is? Would like a visit?!

Kristi


> Wendy,
>
> I've been running a Yahell group for over a year and over half of the members don't have Yahell e-mail addresses. The friendly personnel at admin is, shall we say, yanking your chain? When I get some time this afternoon, I'll create a new e-mail thru excite or hotmail or something like that and write down the process and then post the steps to PBA if you like. I know there's a way around this. BTW, I do use a Yahoo e-mail for my group, I just know that you don't have to.
>
> ICQ is an option if you don't mind getting XXX sites mailed to you every two hours or so...
>
> Greg
>
> > > when i opened an e-mail account a year or so ago i chose yahoo because it sounded happy and whimsical...the only other option i knew of, hotmail, sounded like, lewd or something...
> > >
> > > when i signed into chat the other night (under the influence of alcohol, admittedly) i was shocked that my yahoo adress appeared on the list of chat-ees! 'cos my e-mail addy is my first and middle name. i don't know how much i even care about anonymity here, it feels safe, all yall seem to be far far away, and what've i got to hide anyway, but--i've got to agree. Yahoo is a bitch.
> > >
> > > i don't know much about computers/chatting, but aren't there lots of chatrooms available? i know that at icq you can create your own but then anyone could join in and that would be kind of weird (i imagine pranksters would be drawn to the "psycho-social babble" title--maybe we could name it something completely innocuous and boring, like Lawn Maintenance or Quilting Today or DataClerks Daily?
> > >
> > > sar
> >
> >
> >
> > LOVE IT! Sar, you're the best... Quilting Today would get a lot of people, I'm sure! Anyway, yeah, one time last year, I think, the same thing happened, and my real e-mail address appeared on Yahoo... I was similarly mortified. The interface (the thing people like you and I see) is very confusing, and makes people put the wrong thing in the boxes. In the psy-babble administration post, I asked if this was the complaint dept as a joke, I know Dr. Bob is not responsible for the Yahoo troubles, nor can he do anything about them. The only thing we could do is find another chat provider and split off, making a post every week or so on the PSB board that it's taking place on another site. I'm not really up on these things, but maybe we can find out somehow where else we could do it... What's ICQ?
> >
> > BTW, I asked Yahoo admin if I could lose the e-mail but stay in Yahoo Groups, but they said no... How did people like Willow and Greg sign on without getting a yahoo e-mail address? I'm still baffled, and I'm somewhat of a geek! ... What gives??? Anybody out there who gets it?
> >
> > Here's hoping we can chat in this lifetime. I'm uncomfortable going into P-Babble chat open at the moment...
> >
> > Yers,
> >
> > Wendy

 

Re: Kristi

Posted by Greg on September 6, 2001, at 12:03:52

In reply to Re: Greg, posted by Kristi on September 6, 2001, at 9:49:07

Kristi,

Could you e-mail me at

havendude2001@yahoo.com ?

Thanks,
Greg

> Hi Greg,
>
> Obviously.... you are the president of another message website. Would you be willing to post what that is? Would like a visit?!
>
> Kristi
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Wendy,
> >
> > I've been running a Yahell group for over a year and over half of the members don't have Yahell e-mail addresses. The friendly personnel at admin is, shall we say, yanking your chain? When I get some time this afternoon, I'll create a new e-mail thru excite or hotmail or something like that and write down the process and then post the steps to PBA if you like. I know there's a way around this. BTW, I do use a Yahoo e-mail for my group, I just know that you don't have to.
> >
> > ICQ is an option if you don't mind getting XXX sites mailed to you every two hours or so...
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > > > when i opened an e-mail account a year or so ago i chose yahoo because it sounded happy and whimsical...the only other option i knew of, hotmail, sounded like, lewd or something...
> > > >
> > > > when i signed into chat the other night (under the influence of alcohol, admittedly) i was shocked that my yahoo adress appeared on the list of chat-ees! 'cos my e-mail addy is my first and middle name. i don't know how much i even care about anonymity here, it feels safe, all yall seem to be far far away, and what've i got to hide anyway, but--i've got to agree. Yahoo is a bitch.
> > > >
> > > > i don't know much about computers/chatting, but aren't there lots of chatrooms available? i know that at icq you can create your own but then anyone could join in and that would be kind of weird (i imagine pranksters would be drawn to the "psycho-social babble" title--maybe we could name it something completely innocuous and boring, like Lawn Maintenance or Quilting Today or DataClerks Daily?
> > > >
> > > > sar
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > LOVE IT! Sar, you're the best... Quilting Today would get a lot of people, I'm sure! Anyway, yeah, one time last year, I think, the same thing happened, and my real e-mail address appeared on Yahoo... I was similarly mortified. The interface (the thing people like you and I see) is very confusing, and makes people put the wrong thing in the boxes. In the psy-babble administration post, I asked if this was the complaint dept as a joke, I know Dr. Bob is not responsible for the Yahoo troubles, nor can he do anything about them. The only thing we could do is find another chat provider and split off, making a post every week or so on the PSB board that it's taking place on another site. I'm not really up on these things, but maybe we can find out somehow where else we could do it... What's ICQ?
> > >
> > > BTW, I asked Yahoo admin if I could lose the e-mail but stay in Yahoo Groups, but they said no... How did people like Willow and Greg sign on without getting a yahoo e-mail address? I'm still baffled, and I'm somewhat of a geek! ... What gives??? Anybody out there who gets it?
> > >
> > > Here's hoping we can chat in this lifetime. I'm uncomfortable going into P-Babble chat open at the moment...
> > >
> > > Yers,
> > >
> > > Wendy

 

Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... Wendy B.

Posted by sar on September 6, 2001, at 16:04:39

In reply to Re: I'm sorry, but Yahoo sucks... sar, posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 7:43:30


> LOVE IT! Sar, you're the best... Quilting Today would get a lot of people, I'm sure! Anyway, yeah, one time last year, I think, the same thing happened, and my real e-mail address appeared on Yahoo... I was similarly mortified. The interface (the thing people like you and I see) is very confusing, and makes people put the wrong thing in the boxes. In the psy-babble administration post, I asked if this was the complaint dept as a joke, I know Dr. Bob is not responsible for the Yahoo troubles, nor can he do anything about them. The only thing we could do is find another chat provider and split off, making a post every week or so on the PSB board that it's taking place on another site. I'm not really up on these things, but maybe we can find out somehow where else we could do it... What's ICQ?
>
> BTW, I asked Yahoo admin if I could lose the e-mail but stay in Yahoo Groups, but they said no... How did people like Willow and Greg sign on without getting a yahoo e-mail address? I'm still baffled, and I'm somewhat of a geek! ... What gives??? Anybody out there who gets it?
>
> Here's hoping we can chat in this lifetime. I'm uncomfortable going into P-Babble chat open at the moment...
>
> Yers,
>
> Wendy

i too am wary of the chat function, cuz it stripped me nekkid last time i visited (since i already have a yahoo account). ICQ is a large chatroom center, i dabbled in it when i moved back to my parents' house and didn't know anyone for a month or so, it's very large and international and there are lots of annoying "ya wanna have cyber sex" messages that blip into any conversation you're having, but it's the only place i know of that you can open your own room. CAVEAT EMPOR: i am not a computer person. there are probably much better places than icq and yahoo to open a chat. any suggestions?

(by the way, dr. bob, if you're reading this, i'm not meaning to dis the p-b open. it just seems too exposing and complicated at this point--i've affection for ya bob, no complaints in this department).

chat with yall sometime soon?

sar

 

Re: Kristi/Greg - e-mail Greg

Posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 20:59:49

In reply to Re: Kristi, posted by Greg on September 6, 2001, at 12:03:52

Dear Greg,

Awww... Can I e-mail you too?

Seriously, I want to forward to you the e-mail I got from Yahoo admin telling me I couldn't dump my Yahoo e-mail without getting rid of my 'Groups' account, too.

Just let me know first, if this is ok...

Thanks,

Wendy

 

Re: Kristi/Greg - e-mail Wendy B.

Posted by Greg on September 6, 2001, at 21:58:30

In reply to Re: Kristi/Greg - e-mail Greg, posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 20:59:49

Sure Wendy, not a problem. It'll be interesting to get them to explain to me how 23 of the 37 members I have in my group don't have yahoo e-mail addys...

Write me anytime!

Greg

> Dear Greg,
>
> Awww... Can I e-mail you too?
>
> Seriously, I want to forward to you the e-mail I got from Yahoo admin telling me I couldn't dump my Yahoo e-mail without getting rid of my 'Groups' account, too.
>
> Just let me know first, if this is ok...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wendy

 

Re: Yahoo Chat and email Wendy B.

Posted by jane d on September 6, 2001, at 22:37:55

In reply to Re: Kristi/Greg - e-mail Greg, posted by Wendy B. on September 6, 2001, at 20:59:49

Wendy,
I think the problem here is that your groups were linked to the email account from the first. When you sign up for groups they ask you for your email address. If you don't give them one they will ask you if you want to sign up for their email and will give you an email account. Personally, I prefer not to give them my main account so I agreed. But I don't see why you object to having their email account. There is no rule that says you ever need to check that account. (maybe once every few months to keep it active - I'm not sure).

Jane

> Dear Greg,
>
> Awww... Can I e-mail you too?
>
> Seriously, I want to forward to you the e-mail I got from Yahoo admin telling me I couldn't dump my Yahoo e-mail without getting rid of my 'Groups' account, too.
>
> Just let me know first, if this is ok...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wendy

 

Re: Yahoo Chat and email

Posted by Wendy B. on September 7, 2001, at 8:10:28

In reply to Re: Yahoo Chat and email Wendy B., posted by jane d on September 6, 2001, at 22:37:55

> Wendy,
> I think the problem here is that your groups were linked to the email account from the first. When you sign up for groups they ask you for your email address. If you don't give them one they will ask you if you want to sign up for their email and will give you an email account. Personally, I prefer not to give them my main account so I agreed. But I don't see why you object to having their email account. There is no rule that says you ever need to check that account. (maybe once every few months to keep it active - I'm not sure).
>
> Jane
>


Jane,

Why do I object to having a Yahoo e-mail? I know, it's not reasonable is it? All I can say is, I'm easily pushed over the edge (!), and Yahoo just *does* it for me, if you know what I mean. There are sometimes these little, bitty things that you just want to blow right the hell out of proportion, and I'm sorry, but this is it!

Seriously, I just hate their stupid little system, I *swear* to god in heaven that I could not sign up for Groups without a Yahoo e-mail. And if somebody like me, with greater computer savvy than 95% of the population, and an IQ which is nothing to sneeze at, either, cannot log on with total ease, it says something about their system.

I acknowledge, it's probably irrational.

(Sar, *say* something!)


Thanks, Jane & Greg,

Wendy


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Social | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.