Psycho-Babble Social Thread 6979

Shown: posts 1 to 25 of 31. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Does anybody here work?

Posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

Each and every day when I wake up to my dreadful and pathetic life, and think of jumping in front of the train I catch to work, I wonder if the other people in the world who feel like killing themselves daily despite having had multiple interventions go to work or not?

Maybe if I quit I would be able to sleep the necessary 14 hours a day I require or would certainly require if I took enough antidepressants to not feel like killing myself anymore.

Does Depression alone qualify one for Disability?

 

Re: Does anybody here work?

Posted by lissa on July 1, 2001, at 23:40:22

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

There are a many ways out of a bad situation if you are resourceful enough to look into them. There is only one true way to be a completely unresourceful fool (which can involve a train ... ). I hope you find the help (or accomodations) you need from your doctor and employer and work your way out of this one soon.


 

Re: Does anybody here work? ATTN: Maynard G. Krebs Mr. Scott

Posted by kazoo on July 2, 2001, at 0:10:29

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

Of course I work!

I repair joy buzzers for a consortium of multi-national corporations dotting the pacific rim (all except the People's Republic of China - they don't like that sort of thing).

I also dabble in whoopie cushions.

Depression (the dysthymic type or chronic) does qualify for disability benefits, but this varies from State to State (some more liberal than others). You can check this out for yourself. It would help if you had a physical ailment as well (not that I'm suggesting you get one). You can also hit the Feds up for some dough via SSI. A college course in method acting may be needed.

(a busy) kazoo

 

Re: Does anybody here work? ATTN: Maynard G. Krebs

Posted by AMenz on July 2, 2001, at 9:09:47

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work? ATTN: Maynard G. Krebs Mr. Scott, posted by kazoo on July 2, 2001, at 0:10:29

What's the difference between disability and SSI? I thought they were one and the same.


> Of course I work!
>
> I repair joy buzzers for a consortium of multi-national corporations dotting the pacific rim (all except the People's Republic of China - they don't like that sort of thing).
>
> I also dabble in whoopie cushions.
>
> Depression (the dysthymic type or chronic) does qualify for disability benefits, but this varies from State to State (some more liberal than others). You can check this out for yourself. It would help if you had a physical ailment as well (not that I'm suggesting you get one). You can also hit the Feds up for some dough via SSI. A college course in method acting may be needed.
>
> (a busy) kazoo

 

Re: Does anybody here work? And the answer is... AMenz

Posted by kazoo on July 2, 2001, at 11:08:33

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work? ATTN: Maynard G. Krebs, posted by AMenz on July 2, 2001, at 9:09:47

> What's the difference between disability and SSI? I thought they were one and the same.
^^^^^^^^^

"Disability" is the general term pointing to a bunch of help:

1) Private disability insurance (this is what you pay into when you work); transient;
2) State disability (Department of Social Services); this, as the name says, involves the state you live in;
3) TITLE XIX, or MEDICAID; a federally funded service for doctor visits and scripts;
4) Social Security:
a) SS; the "straight" plan for retirement; that which you paid into when you worked; you can tap into these funds prior retirement;
b) SSI; Supplemental Security Income; for people who have no SS and need money; this is a federal "slush" fund

Disability plans from other planets are not accepted at this time.

There's also tons of ways to get "free" money from the Feds is you believe people like Matt Lesko: http://matthew-lesko.com/

Remember: where there's a will, there's a way.

kazoo

 

Re: Does anybody here work? And the answer is...

Posted by Mr.Scott on July 2, 2001, at 12:35:39

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work? And the answer is... AMenz, posted by kazoo on July 2, 2001, at 11:08:33

Thanks!! I'm smiling.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Mr. Scott

Posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 14:01:29

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03


I work now.... I was out for a while, and fortunately(silly as it sounds) I had some physical problems as well and was able to collect disability. But one thing.... I was also sleeping alllllll day as well.... fell hopeless, wanted to die, etc... and work actually turned a lot of that around for me. It kept me so busy that I didn't have time for it. Work was actually my savior in this matter... and I have a very social job.... my money depends on my ability to interact with people... the first few days were tough but I got back in the groove. I was kind of like "forced" to socialize... that eventually it came naturally again. Just a thought. Hope your doing ok. Take care, Kristi


> Each and every day when I wake up to my dreadful and pathetic life, and think of jumping in front of the train I catch to work, I wonder if the other people in the world who feel like killing themselves daily despite having had multiple interventions go to work or not?
>
> Maybe if I quit I would be able to sleep the necessary 14 hours a day I require or would certainly require if I took enough antidepressants to not feel like killing myself anymore.
>
> Does Depression alone qualify one for Disability?

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Kazoo

Posted by Roo on July 2, 2001, at 14:40:13

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Mr. Scott, posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 14:01:29

Kazoo--

What's a joy buzzer? (is it what I think?)
I'm a whoopee cushion maker too. I've risen
high in the ranks. I started out as a Whoopee
Cushion Maker I, and now I'm a Whoopee Cushion Maker
III, and make 50 cents more an hour.

Kristi--

What's your job? Just curious...I wish my job was
busier. But no one likes whoopee cushions anymore.

 

Re: Does anybody here work? Mr. Scott

Posted by AKC on July 2, 2001, at 15:23:47

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

I actually like my job, but yet my earlier post of no energy. But as some have already posted, my job has at times actually been been my savior. Days that I want to just stay in bed, I have had to go in and get something done for a client, and I know I have been better off for it. So far I have managed to not go on disability or SSI (just barely - I did take off a couple of months two years ago when I tried the suicide route). So for me, work is a lifeline, though days it sure is a trudgery. But if more days are trudgery than not, then I always believe that it is time to find some different lifelines - and hopefully the front of trains will never seem like the best one. Good luck.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo

Posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 16:10:15

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Kazoo, posted by Roo on July 2, 2001, at 14:40:13

Roo,
Wow.... who'd of thought woopie cushions would go out of style. I work as a cocktail waitress in Las vegas. What do you do? Kristi


> Kazoo--
>
> What's a joy buzzer? (is it what I think?)
> I'm a whoopee cushion maker too. I've risen
> high in the ranks. I started out as a Whoopee
> Cushion Maker I, and now I'm a Whoopee Cushion Maker
> III, and make 50 cents more an hour.
>
> Kristi--
>
> What's your job? Just curious...I wish my job was
> busier. But no one likes whoopee cushions anymore.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo

Posted by Roo on July 2, 2001, at 16:26:34

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo, posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 16:10:15

Kristi--are you really a cocktail waitress in
Las Vegas? That would explain the business and
having to interact with people a lot.

I'm a research coordinator at Duke's Center for
Religion, Spirituality and Health...we're a small
grant funded study looking at how prayer/spirituality
effects health issues.

I want to be a graphic artist..that's my latest
fantasy.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo Roo

Posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 20:16:56

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo, posted by Roo on July 2, 2001, at 16:26:34

Yep.... really am.
Wow, sounds like you have a really great job. Is it rewarding? Sounds a lot more rewarding than getting people drunk. :-)
Keep those goals......... where do you live? I can't at the moment.. think of where duke is. Lack of sleep bigtime.
Kristi


> Kristi--are you really a cocktail waitress in
> Las Vegas? That would explain the business and
> having to interact with people a lot.
>
> I'm a research coordinator at Duke's Center for
> Religion, Spirituality and Health...we're a small
> grant funded study looking at how prayer/spirituality
> effects health issues.
>
> I want to be a graphic artist..that's my latest
> fantasy.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?

Posted by Shar on July 3, 2001, at 0:53:54

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

> Each and every day when I wake up to my dreadful and pathetic life, and think of jumping in front of the train I catch to work, I wonder if the other people in the world who feel like killing themselves daily despite having had multiple interventions go to work or not?

Yessiree. Felt suicidal on the drive to work every day for almost 19 years. Then left a job, for the first time, and was unable to find employment (for the first time). Now I have a part time job and can't pay my bills. I also screwed up and had a late Cobra payment so they cancelled my insurance.

All things considered, I am a hell of a lot happier now than I was then. The lack of money is a big problem, tho.

S

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo

Posted by Roo on July 3, 2001, at 7:45:11

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo Roo, posted by Kristi on July 2, 2001, at 20:16:56

>
>
Kristi--

Duke is in Durham, NC. Actually, my job sounds great
but it's terrifically boring. I work on the "data
management" end of things, and often there's not
enough to do. Also, I'm really isolated--I only
have 4 co-workers and most of them are out in the
field interviewing patients, and I work in the office
by myself most of the time. (Hence, the over-addiction
to Psychobabble to pass the time). I'm so damn
bored, Kristi, I just can't tell you. (Hopefully no
one from Duke will be reading this). I do feel proud
of my job, and the purpose we serve, I just need more
creativity and human contact than this. It's not
really good for my "disease" (depression) to have too
much time to think and not enough contact with other
humans.

What's it like living in Las Vegas? I can't imagine.
I'm a small town girl. Grew up in Kansas and everything.
I hope people are nice to you in your job :-)

What do you want to be when you grow up?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Kristi--are you really a cocktail waitress in
> > Las Vegas? That would explain the business and
> > having to interact with people a lot.
> >
> > I'm a research coordinator at Duke's Center for
> > Religion, Spirituality and Health...we're a small
> > grant funded study looking at how prayer/spirituality
> > effects health issues.
> >
> > I want to be a graphic artist..that's my latest
> > fantasy.

 

Re: Does anybody here work?

Posted by Noa on July 3, 2001, at 10:53:16

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo, posted by Roo on July 3, 2001, at 7:45:11

I feel lucky that I have been able to maintain emplyment all along through my depressions. However, in the past few years, my performance at work has suffered. I have always had a good record as an employee, with very good feedback, and the past two years, my performance reviews have been not so great, leading to extended probation for another 6th months. My performance has improved in recent months, as I've felt better and better, but I still have a lot of work to do to get back on track.

One way my depression has intruded into work over the years is the number of sick days I have taken. But for a long time, I was able to keep the depression at home. Last year and the year before, I couldn't do that anymore, and my work started to suffer a lot. With my improved mood lately, it feels good to not have that as a problem.


Even though I have been feeling increasingly better for for about 10 months now, the catch up at work is slower. I still get a bit overwhelmed sometimes with multi-tasking, etc. but I am learning how to manage it better. Part of the problem, too, is that this job (past 2 years) challenges my organizational weaknesses a lot (weaknesses I have depressed or not).


 

Re: Does anybody here work?

Posted by Noa on July 3, 2001, at 10:56:44

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?, posted by Shar on July 3, 2001, at 0:53:54

I, too, have worked less than full time the past two years. If offered, I would have wanted full time work, but I did not have it in me to supplement my work with a second job, even though I could have. It was just too overwhelming to me and I knew I needed to just take care of myself.

Consequently, I had a lot of financial problems, too, although none so severe as losing insurance, which I am sorry to hear happened to you. That angers me, that they would cancel you because of of a late payment.

 

Re: Does anybody here work? And the answer is...

Posted by AMenz on July 3, 2001, at 16:26:25

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work? And the answer is..., posted by Mr.Scott on July 2, 2001, at 12:35:39

Yes, that was hysterical, if unintended.

> Thanks!! I'm smiling.

 

Noa - re COBRA insurance

Posted by Shar on July 3, 2001, at 17:45:03

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?, posted by Noa on July 3, 2001, at 10:56:44

.....losing insurance, which I am sorry to hear happened to you. That angers me, that they would cancel you because of of a late payment.

Noa:
I was quite surprised that a late payment would do it also. The state agency administering COBRA here said that was the standard procedure for anyone who has a late payment. Maybe it saves the feds $$ ? I think I'd be ok if I just wanted to get a $12,000 screwdriver or something, but health insurance...that's just wasteful.

Oops, guess I'm a little angry too. I have to start checking now for free meds (or low cost meds) so I can get some by the time I need a refill. I just found out about this yesterday.

Shar

 

Re: re COBRA, an appropriate name

Posted by Greg on July 3, 2001, at 18:39:41

In reply to Noa - re COBRA insurance, posted by Shar on July 3, 2001, at 17:45:03

Shar,

Just found out that my COBRA is going to cost me $875 a month. Still feeling the "bite" from that one...

xxoo,
Greg

 

Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo

Posted by Kristi on July 3, 2001, at 20:14:17

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?-Roo, posted by Roo on July 3, 2001, at 7:45:11

Hi Roo,
I'm a small town girl myself.... just moved here about 5 years ago from upstate NY. I'll tell ya, you had me cracking up asking "what do you want to do when you grow up?" I'm going to be 34 next week.... I don't know if that's considered grown up or not! :-)
I worked as a shift supervisor at IBM before I moved here(my grown up job)... but the hours and the stress got to me. I just thought life was more than that. So I was on my way to california, and ended up here(long story)... and I make in 2 days what I made in salary in a week at IBM.... plus... no stress... until now that is. Working in such a social job... being depressed... can be just as stressful I guess. Always having to make people happy when I'm not happy myself.. but it does sort of FORCE me... which in a way is good. I also have 3 degrees.. all 2 year which don't amount to much. I think when I grow up I'm going to quit this job and maybe do some voluntary work(I'm coming into enough money where I won't need to work).. and I'd really like to "save the world" so to speak. We'll see.
Sorry.... babbled.
Well... now that you explained, I can definately see how your job can be boring... especially with only 4 co-workers. That makes it tough to get out of the rut. But you sound like you have great aspirations.... and are still dreaming... so I have no doubt you will go places and end up doing what you want to do. It's when you stop dreaming that you have to worry.
I agree with you... it's not at all good to have too much time to think. That's where I'm lucky. At least your computer can keep you company... altho that can go both ways.
Can I ask a little about you? Married? Kids? Kids have a way of making you not be able to think about things to much sometimes. Thanks for the intrest. Take care,
Kristi

> >
> >
> Kristi--
>
> Duke is in Durham, NC. Actually, my job sounds great
> but it's terrifically boring. I work on the "data
> management" end of things, and often there's not
> enough to do. Also, I'm really isolated--I only
> have 4 co-workers and most of them are out in the
> field interviewing patients, and I work in the office
> by myself most of the time. (Hence, the over-addiction
> to Psychobabble to pass the time). I'm so damn
> bored, Kristi, I just can't tell you. (Hopefully no
> one from Duke will be reading this). I do feel proud
> of my job, and the purpose we serve, I just need more
> creativity and human contact than this. It's not
> really good for my "disease" (depression) to have too
> much time to think and not enough contact with other
> humans.
>
> What's it like living in Las Vegas? I can't imagine.
> I'm a small town girl. Grew up in Kansas and everything.
> I hope people are nice to you in your job :-)
>
> What do you want to be when you grow up?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Kristi--are you really a cocktail waitress in
> > > Las Vegas? That would explain the business and
> > > having to interact with people a lot.
> > >
> > > I'm a research coordinator at Duke's Center for
> > > Religion, Spirituality and Health...we're a small
> > > grant funded study looking at how prayer/spirituality
> > > effects health issues.
> > >
> > > I want to be a graphic artist..that's my latest
> > > fantasy.

 

Re: re COBRA, an appropriate name

Posted by Phil on July 3, 2001, at 21:51:54

In reply to Re: re COBRA, an appropriate name, posted by Greg on July 3, 2001, at 18:39:41

> Shar,
>
> Just found out that my COBRA is going to cost me $875 a month. Still feeling the "bite" from that one...
>
> xxoo,
> Greg

Ouch, That's a lot of co-pays Greg!

 

Re: Does anybody here work?

Posted by Phil on July 3, 2001, at 21:54:01

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

I used to until I landed this fantastic opportunity in state government. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I miss work. :-)

 

Re: Does anybody here work?Shar

Posted by Phil on July 3, 2001, at 21:59:21

In reply to Re: Does anybody here work?, posted by Shar on July 3, 2001, at 0:53:54

Shar, Time for us to pack up the Chrysler and head to Mexico for meds? Sorry to hear about your Cobra deal. It really pisses me off.

Phil

 

Re: re COBRA, an appropriate name Greg

Posted by AKC on July 3, 2001, at 22:15:55

In reply to Re: re COBRA, an appropriate name, posted by Greg on July 3, 2001, at 18:39:41

Greg,

Without knowing anything about your previous employer or if you are covering dependents, make sure your not getting jipped on your COBRA rights (this seems high to me if you are just covering yourself) - the employer cannot charge you more than 102% of their premium cost (unless it is disability related, then they can charge up to 150%). A site you might want to check out for information on COBRA is: http://www.insure.com/health/cobra.html

Another good source of information can be found at www.benefitslink.com

Then do a search using the word "COBRA." Some of the information is pretty technical (for attorneys and human resource type folks), but a lot of it is pretty readable.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

AKC

 

Re: Does anybody here work?Mr Scott

Posted by tina on July 4, 2001, at 9:10:38

In reply to Does anybody here work?, posted by Mr. Scott on July 1, 2001, at 21:12:03

My job was the only thing that kept me getting up in the morning. Now that I have lost it, I am ten times worse and can't bring myself to get another one. Eventhough I am tired, I don't sleep much. Eventhough I have more leisure time, I spend it daydreaming about an apocalypse over my own house.
If you can hold a job, keep it. Sometimes it is the ONLY thing that reminds us that there is a life out there.


> Each and every day when I wake up to my dreadful and pathetic life, and think of jumping in front of the train I catch to work, I wonder if the other people in the world who feel like killing themselves daily despite having had multiple interventions go to work or not?
>
> Maybe if I quit I would be able to sleep the necessary 14 hours a day I require or would certainly require if I took enough antidepressants to not feel like killing myself anymore.
>
> Does Depression alone qualify one for Disability?


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Social | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.