Psycho-Babble Psychology Thread 1087799

Shown: posts 1 to 12 of 12. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Current Goal

Posted by J Kelly on April 3, 2016, at 15:30:40

My current goal is to leave my apt once each day. I know this sounds pathetic but its huge for me. Everyday that goes by, I feel more and more isolated and agoraphobic. So i'm gonna go out each day even if its just for drive thru fast food. Once a week its my therapist. Once a month its my pdoc. Every few weeks its the grocery... mainly so I can feed my dogs. I just lost my last employee and I'm at risk of losing my business.

I'm really hoping my Nardil trial (week from Tuesday) is going to be a life changer. I'm desperate.

Prayers please :)

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal

Posted by Tabitha on April 3, 2016, at 16:36:00

In reply to Current Goal, posted by J Kelly on April 3, 2016, at 15:30:40

> My current goal is to leave my apt once each day. I know this sounds pathetic but its huge for me.

That doesn't sound pathetic at all. Many days pass when I don't go outside, or even look out a window. I feel accomplished enough by going out once or twice a week. But I do see my spouse every day so it's not complete isolation.

I'm sorry your business is in trouble. That must add extra reason to want to hide indoors.

 

Re: Current Goal Tabitha

Posted by J Kelly on April 4, 2016, at 7:13:28

In reply to Re: Current Goal, posted by Tabitha on April 3, 2016, at 16:36:00

> > My current goal is to leave my apt once each day. I know this sounds pathetic but its huge for me.
>
> That doesn't sound pathetic at all. Many days pass when I don't go outside, or even look out a window. I feel accomplished enough by going out once or twice a week. But I do see my spouse every day so it's not complete isolation.
>
> I'm sorry your business is in trouble. That must add extra reason to want to hide indoors.

Its usually the case that once I go out I'm glad I did. And I'm okay for short trips or even an occasional dinner out. Something like a shopping trip to the mall would make me VERY uncomfortable.

I'm glad you have your spouse to interact with.

Thanks Tabitha,

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal J Kelly

Posted by alexandra_k on April 4, 2016, at 14:29:31

In reply to Re: Current Goal Tabitha, posted by J Kelly on April 4, 2016, at 7:13:28

It isn't pathetic. I live alone (as much as I can) and I try and make it a goal to leave my apt once every 2 days. If I don't do that then I start to go a bit nutso, or something, I think. Every day would probably be best. Even if it is just to go to the supermarket / get food. Human contact even if you are just saying 'please' and 'thanks' or whatever.

I don't know what the weather is doing for you... But I quite like walking. By a river or lake or something like that. Swinging if there are swings around that aren't part of a little kids playground, particularly.

 

Re: Current Goal alexandra_k

Posted by J Kelly on April 4, 2016, at 18:23:57

In reply to Re: Current Goal J Kelly, posted by alexandra_k on April 4, 2016, at 14:29:31

> It isn't pathetic. I live alone (as much as I can) and I try and make it a goal to leave my apt once every 2 days. If I don't do that then I start to go a bit nutso, or something, I think. Every day would probably be best. Even if it is just to go to the supermarket / get food. Human contact even if you are just saying 'please' and 'thanks' or whatever.

Agreed. Excess solitude is not a good thing. And sometimes I'm SO appreciative of that cashier or whoever giving me a big smile and telling me to have a good day. It matters. To me anyway.

>
> I don't know what the weather is doing for you... But I quite like walking. By a river or lake or something like that. Swinging if there are swings around that aren't part of a little kids playground, particularly.

Good point. I definitely need to get outside more. The weather here is getting nice...no more excuses!

Have yourself a good evening alexandra :)

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal

Posted by rjlockhart37 on April 5, 2016, at 0:24:06

In reply to Current Goal, posted by J Kelly on April 3, 2016, at 15:30:40

This is kinda wierd, but sometimes open world video games, where you actually get to walk around the city in the video game can get you going to get the feel of doing it, only it's through virtual terms

years ago i was a grand theft auto III (and vice city, librity city) i loved it because i could walk around in the virtual enviorment, now they've advanced where walking around a city in a video game is good

it's kinda cogntive preperation, like in the real world you walk around and see people there usally going there own way.....


 

Re: Current Goal rjlockhart37

Posted by J Kelly on April 5, 2016, at 13:32:46

In reply to Re: Current Goal, posted by rjlockhart37 on April 5, 2016, at 0:24:06

> This is kinda wierd, but sometimes open world video games, where you actually get to walk around the city in the video game can get you going to get the feel of doing it, only it's through virtual terms
>
> years ago i was a grand theft auto III (and vice city, librity city) i loved it because i could walk around in the virtual enviorment, now they've advanced where walking around a city in a video game is good
>
> it's kinda cogntive preperation, like in the real world you walk around and see people there usally going there own way.....
>
>
>

Interesting. Has this helped you? My kids used to play all those games but I've never tried it, maybe I should :)

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal

Posted by baseball55 on April 5, 2016, at 19:08:11

In reply to Current Goal, posted by J Kelly on April 3, 2016, at 15:30:40

Maybe if you can meet that goal, the next goalpost is to talk to someone every day, if only to say, hi, how are you, rotten weather we're having, to the drive thru clerk.

> My current goal is to leave my apt once each day. I know this sounds pathetic but its huge for me. Everyday that goes by, I feel more and more isolated and agoraphobic. So i'm gonna go out each day even if its just for drive thru fast food. Once a week its my therapist. Once a month its my pdoc. Every few weeks its the grocery... mainly so I can feed my dogs. I just lost my last employee and I'm at risk of losing my business.
>
> I'm really hoping my Nardil trial (week from Tuesday) is going to be a life changer. I'm desperate.
>
> Prayers please :)
>
> Jade

 

Re: Current Goal baseball55

Posted by J Kelly on April 6, 2016, at 18:47:11

In reply to Re: Current Goal, posted by baseball55 on April 5, 2016, at 19:08:11

> Maybe if you can meet that goal, the next goalpost is to talk to someone every day, if only to say, hi, how are you, rotten weather we're having, to the drive thru clerk.

Hi baseball :)

I actually do talk to a few people each day (family, work, etc.) out of necessity mostly.

My next goal should be talking to friends. I've lost touch with all of them.

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal J Kelly

Posted by Chris O on April 12, 2016, at 0:20:58

In reply to Current Goal, posted by J Kelly on April 3, 2016, at 15:30:40

Prayers to you, Jade. Totally understand the agoraphobic struggle. Hang in there.

Chris

 

Re: Current Goal Chris O

Posted by J Kelly on April 12, 2016, at 15:15:22

In reply to Re: Current Goal J Kelly, posted by Chris O on April 12, 2016, at 0:20:58

> Prayers to you, Jade. Totally understand the agoraphobic struggle. Hang in there.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris :)

I've met my goal so far. I've been out everyday since I posted that. Some days for 30 minutes, others, like today, 5-6 hours. I have to say it helps. I don't get that creepy feeling you get when cooped up inside alone for days on end.

Today is my second day on 45mg Nardil. No real side effects. Maybe a little fatigue but I'm expecting that so could be placebo. Slight lift in mood but that could be a glimmer of hope shining thru :)

Jade

 

Re: Current Goal J Kelly

Posted by Chris O on April 12, 2016, at 15:50:09

In reply to Re: Current Goal Chris O, posted by J Kelly on April 12, 2016, at 15:15:22

"Slight lift in mood but that could be a glimmer of hope shining thru :)"

Well, good for you. I've had Nardil on my shelf several times but never took it (probably due to my anxiety disorder). I'm hoping it makes you feel better, in a big way. Congratulations on being open to trying it.

Chris


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Psychology | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.