Psycho-Babble Faith Thread 1625

Shown: posts 1 to 6 of 6. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

the fear factor and Bob's religion

Posted by rayww on January 21, 2003, at 14:17:45

I am no dummy to religious philosophy. I am fully aware of the differences and similarities between Catholic/Mormon/Jew religions. I know about the Christian attitude toward our church and understand why we are considered a threat to the organization of Christiandom (as Lou would phrase it). When I write to PBF I write religion from my heart, and back up my thoughts by scripture and/or other quotes. I don't intentionally try to put a mormon twist on all questions, but there usually is one.

Doesn't this make you angry? Bob's religion says if we criticize another's belief we risk banishment.

Setting aside the fear factor and Bob's religion, and ignoring the "please be civil" rule for this one post, I want to know if what I write is offensive to your religion. I give you permission to criticize me, but please leave Jesus out of it.

 

Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?

Posted by OddipusRex on January 21, 2003, at 19:52:56

In reply to the fear factor and Bob's religion, posted by rayww on January 21, 2003, at 14:17:45

I'm not sure who you were addressing. I can't discuss my religion here according to Bob's rules. I was the one who posted a quote from the Catholic catechism though. I did it because it was the Catholic church speaking for itself. I think that is better than someone else generalizing about or speaking for another faith. For example I wouldn't try to characterize "Mormon beliefs" but I might quote from Mormon teachings. I don't know what you and Lou are referring to as "Christiandom". I do think if people would avoid characterizing other people's beliefs it might be helpful. For example I have no idea what you mean by "the Christian attitude". I was unaware of your church being a threat to the organization of Christiandom. What organization? What Christiandom? Why would you think that?
If you write from your heart it doesn't offend me.
I can't write about my faith and leave Jesus out of it though. :-) That's why I generally don't post here. Mustn't offend the Bobtists. Sorry I got involved in your thread with Lou. I certainly don't think you're a dummy about anything.

God bless you.

> I am no dummy to religious philosophy. I am fully aware of the differences and similarities between Catholic/Mormon/Jew religions. I know about the Christian attitude toward our church and understand why we are considered a threat to the organization of Christiandom (as Lou would phrase it). When I write to PBF I write religion from my heart, and back up my thoughts by scripture and/or other quotes. I don't intentionally try to put a mormon twist on all questions, but there usually is one.
>
> Doesn't this make you angry? Bob's religion says if we criticize another's belief we risk banishment.
>
> Setting aside the fear factor and Bob's religion, and ignoring the "please be civil" rule for this one post, I want to know if what I write is offensive to your religion. I give you permission to criticize me, but please leave Jesus out of it.

 

Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?

Posted by rayww on January 23, 2003, at 10:11:42

In reply to Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?, posted by OddipusRex on January 21, 2003, at 19:52:56

Yea, and another religion was born. Do you suppose that's how religions begin? Someone comes up with a clever name, like Bobtist, and whammo.

> I'm not sure who you were addressing. I can't discuss my religion here according to Bob's rules.

I guess I haven't dipped far enough into the archives. Is there a key word that I could do a search on :?)
>I was the one who posted a quote from the Catholic catechism though. I did it because it was the Catholic church speaking for itself.

What I want to do is pop up a quote from someone who said something about this topic (church speaking for itself) who said it with more authority than I could, but who is saying the same thing I would.

>I think that is better than someone else generalizing about or speaking for another faith.
For example I wouldn't try to characterize "Mormon beliefs" but I might quote from Mormon teachings.

What about when the spokesperson for one religion formally criticizes another religion? Or when an apostate member of a religious sect preaches openly against said religion?

>I don't know what you and Lou are referring to as "Christiandom".
I assume Lou means the Kingdom of Christianity on the earth.

>I do think if people would avoid characterizing other people's beliefs it might be helpful. For example I have no idea what you mean by "the Christian attitude". I was unaware of your church being a threat to the organization of Christiandom. What organization? What Christiandom? Why would you think that?

I dunno - - maybe I am paranoid, or maybe I have an unfounded fear of what other people are saying about me, my belief, my religion.

To answer honestly, There are only three possible choices if you want to know God's real religion
1/ the Jewish religion because the fullness of hte Gospel was on the earth in the beginning.
2/ the Catholic church because it has maintained the chain of authority to act in God's name since the time of Christ.
3/ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because they teach there was an apostacy and then a restoration.

Any religion that is linked back to the Catholic church cannot claim pure authority because their authority can only link back to the Catholic church. So, the threat is this; if one is true the rest are not. Segments of the true Gospel have filtered down through all known religions of the earth, another witness to the apostacy, yet also proof that a pure gospel actually did exist at one time. If you collect all the segments on one side and compare it to the whole on the other side, there would still be missing parts, because only the true Gospel of the true God would have the true priesthood power which is the authority to act and speak in God's name. http://scriptures.lds.org/query?words=Luke+20%3A1-47&search.x=35&search.y=8

> If you write from your heart it doesn't offend me.
> I can't write about my faith and leave Jesus out of it though. :-) That's why I generally don't post here. Mustn't offend the Bobtists.

I'll have to read up on that one.

When you say "May God bless you" which God are you referring to?

 

Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith? rayww

Posted by Dinah on January 23, 2003, at 10:52:34

In reply to Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?, posted by rayww on January 23, 2003, at 10:11:42

>
> To answer honestly, There are only three possible choices if you want to know God's real religion
> 1/ the Jewish religion because the fullness of hte Gospel was on the earth in the beginning.
> 2/ the Catholic church because it has maintained the chain of authority to act in God's name since the time of Christ.
> 3/ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because they teach there was an apostacy and then a restoration.
>

Ray, that statement makes me feel very uncomfortable. The same way I felt at a friend's funeral when the preacher pretty much said that those who had accepted Christ as their Savior would see my friend soon, but those who had not had better say their goodbyes now.

I realize that as a Mormon you are commanded to give your testimony. But testimonies, to my recollection, are "I" statements. "I" believe that this church is true. "I" know that this church is true. And they don't necessarily include the corollary - that other churches are not true.

I know many devout and good Hindus who serve God in their ways and traditions. I know that many devout and good Muslims serve God in their ways and traditions. I know many devout and good non-Catholic and non-Mormon Christians who serve God in their ways and traditions. I find it hard to believe that God would reject their love and service. In fact, if He would, I would rather not know about it, because He wouldn't be the God I think He is.

 

Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?

Posted by OddipusRex on January 23, 2003, at 11:19:21

In reply to Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?, posted by rayww on January 23, 2003, at 10:11:42

> When you say "May God bless you" which God are you referring to?


> http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/admin/20020627/msgs/6600.html

I don't want to argue about religions. I was trying to apologize for getting involved in your discussion with Lou. I'm not a Catholic but I don't want to argue about *any* denominations. I believe each person comes to God individually reguardless of religion. So how can I explain how I can also believe in words of the PBC'ed post? I can't explain. I'm not God. I wasn't there when the morning stars began to sing.(Book of Job). It's a mystery. I can't explain *what* I believe exactly. I just know *who* I believe. If someone asks me who God is I would say ask God not me.


I'm still trying to exit this conversation with no hard feelings. I'll give you the courtesy of the last word if you wish :)

 

Re: blocked for 2 weeks rayww

Posted by Dr. Bob on January 23, 2003, at 13:58:56

In reply to Re: Is Bob's religion the Bobtist faith?, posted by rayww on January 23, 2003, at 10:11:42

> There are only three possible choices if you want to know God's real religion...
>
> Any religion that is linked back to the Catholic church cannot claim pure authority because their authority can only link back to the Catholic church.

The idea here is support, so please don't put down the beliefs of others. The last time you were blocked from posting, it was for 1 week, so this time, it's for 2.

Bob

PS: Follow-ups regarding posting policies should be redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration, thanks.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Faith | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.