Psycho-Babble Alternative Thread 277388

Shown: posts 1 to 11 of 11. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?

Posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 4:38:45

Article excerpt:

Schizophrenia

"The Th1-Th2 paradigm may also have relevance to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Norbert Muller, MD,[6] of the Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Ludwig-Maximilian University, Germany, proposed that schizophrenia is associated with an underactivation of the Th1 system and overactivation of the Th2 system. Earlier studies had shown that increases in peripheral IL-6 were associated with increased dopamine and serotonin release in the frontal cortex and hippocampus. Then it was shown that increased serum IL-6 was higher in patients with schizophrenia[7] and was associated with increased symptoms,[8] longer duration of illness,[8] and more relapses in patients with schizophrenia. Clozapine has been shown in vitro to reduce some of the elevated cytokines, including IL-6.[9] High levels of IL-10, which inhibit Th1 expression and may contribute to an underactive Th1 system, have also been found in schizophrenia. A recent study found an association between the high IL-10-producing haplotype genetic polymorphism and schizophrenia,[10] which could be a mechanism leading to an underactive Th1 system in schizophrenia. Other related work has found an association between a genetic polymorphism of the IL-1-beta and frontal and temporal gray matter volume deficits.[11]

Given that PGE2 promotes the Th2 line and has been shown to increase IL-6 release from microphages, and that cyclo-oxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitors will inhibit PGE2 and decrease IL-6 synthesis, it seemed possible that COX-2 inhibitors could be useful therapies for schizophrenia. With this mechanism in mind, Dr. Muller and colleagues[12] conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of celecoxib, a commercially available COX-2 inhibitor, as adjunctive treatment of schizophrenia. All patients were also receiving 4-6 mg/day of risperidone, and celecoxib was added at 400 mg/day or a matching placebo was given for 5 weeks. The results showed a significant decrease in total positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) scores, a significant decrease in negative symptoms at some time points, but no difference in positive symptoms. While magnitude of improvement was modest, these results open the door to further research into augmentation strategies using immunomodulatory compounds."

Ok, pay special attention to the 2nd paragraph, specifically about the COX-2 inhibitors.

Now, take a look at Zyflamend:
http://www.new-chapter.com/product/supercritical.lasso?-database=NC_Products&-layout=Product&-response=%2fproduct%2fproduct.lasso&-recordID=22&-search

Inhibits the COX-2 enzyme and reduces inflammation*

New Chapter has extensively researched the herbal pharmacopoeia and international medical databases and discovered that the following time-tested herbs, properly extracted and blended in the correct proportions, contain at least 8 phytonutrients that may safely and significantly inhibit COX-2:*

HOLY BASIL (Ocimum sanctum) Contains the powerful COX-2 inhibitor ursolic acid, which significantly enhances detoxification and reduces inflammation.*
TURMERIC Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2; synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.*
GINGER Supercritical extract inhibits both inflammatory COX and 5-LO and offers numerous anti-aging constituents.*
GREEN TEA Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences report green tea polyphenols markedly reduce COX-2.* Major university database notes green tea contains 51 anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.*
ROSEMARY Dual extracts offer highly concentrated, full spectrum, COX-2 inhibition and support detoxification.*
HU ZHANG (Polygonum cuspidatum) Richest known resveratrol source, shown scientifically to inhibit inflammatory COX-2.*
CHINESE GOLDTHREAD AND BARBERRY Unique berberine phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*
OREGANO Source of large number of anti-inflammatory compounds (31) according to USDA database.*
SCUTELLARIA Unique baicalin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania? taylor18

Posted by Larry Hoover on November 7, 2003, at 8:48:10

In reply to Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 4:38:45

> Article excerpt:
>
> Schizophrenia
>
> "The Th1-Th2 paradigm may also have relevance to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia.

> Ok, pay special attention to the 2nd paragraph, specifically about the COX-2 inhibitors.

The key issue is that the adverse symptoms are related to PGE-2, which arise from arichidonic acid. So, quite apart from modulating COX-2 (also known as prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase), there is a benefit from increasing the dietary supply of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil). When an excitatory signal is received at the cell membrane, the constituent phospholipids decompose via the enzyme phospholipase, which releases the fatty acid at the second position. If it is arichidonic acid, it goes on to promote inflammation etc, via PGE-2. If it is DHA, it will exert the opposite effect, via the anti-inflammatory PGE-3 series.

> Now, take a look at Zyflamend:
> http://www.new-chapter.com/product/supercritical.lasso?-database=NC_Products&-layout=Product&-response=%2fproduct%2fproduct.lasso&-recordID=22&-search
>
> Inhibits the COX-2 enzyme and reduces inflammation*
>
> New Chapter has extensively researched the herbal pharmacopoeia and international medical databases and discovered that the following time-tested herbs, properly extracted and blended in the correct proportions, contain at least 8 phytonutrients that may safely and significantly inhibit COX-2:*
>
> HOLY BASIL (Ocimum sanctum) Contains the powerful COX-2 inhibitor ursolic acid, which significantly enhances detoxification and reduces inflammation.*
> TURMERIC Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2; synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.*
> GINGER Supercritical extract inhibits both inflammatory COX and 5-LO and offers numerous anti-aging constituents.*
> GREEN TEA Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences report green tea polyphenols markedly reduce COX-2.* Major university database notes green tea contains 51 anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.*
> ROSEMARY Dual extracts offer highly concentrated, full spectrum, COX-2 inhibition and support detoxification.*
> HU ZHANG (Polygonum cuspidatum) Richest known resveratrol source, shown scientifically to inhibit inflammatory COX-2.*
> CHINESE GOLDTHREAD AND BARBERRY Unique berberine phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*
> OREGANO Source of large number of anti-inflammatory compounds (31) according to USDA database.*
> SCUTELLARIA Unique baicalin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*

If you want to spend your money this way, fine, but turmeric (the spice) is potent and cheap, all by its lonesome. 1-2 teaspoons in a glass of water (I don't mind the flavour, but some might), and down the hatch. Pennies a dose. Watch out, though, the stuff will stain your clothes/fingers/whatever.

Lar

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?

Posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:34:10

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania? taylor18, posted by Larry Hoover on November 7, 2003, at 8:48:10

Larry,

"If you want to spend your money this way, fine, but turmeric (the spice) is potent and cheap, all by its lonesome."

Actually, 60 servings of Zyflamend, cost $28.57, rounded up to approx. $34 with s/h. That's $.56/day, 1/2 the price of a candy bar, and 1/8 the price of a pack of a cigarettes.

Order: http://store.yahoo.com/smartbomb/nczyf120.html

I think it's irresposible to rely on store-bought, sometimes source-unknown, free-form turmeric. What I mean here is standarization of course.

Aside from that, the key point with Zyflamend is synergy, i.e., TURMERIC Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2;

"synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.*"

Antioxidants multiply eachother's effects, recycle each other, and re-enforce eachother. Not all antioxidants have the same potency, tasks etc.

A broad-spectrum dietary supplement standardized to inhibit COX-2 is more reliable, potent, and more ideal than COX-2 inhibiting drugs or botanicals in isolation.

As a side note, I have also come across Supercritical DHA, which looks very promising:
http://www.new-chapter.com/product/supercritical.lasso?-database=NC_Products&-layout=Product&-response=%2fproduct%2fproduct.lasso&-recordID=20&-search

Turmeric Force and Ginger Force look nice too, although here I would agree store-bought is a better option.

Neurozyme looks too daunting to unravel atm, but it may help tremendously, judging by a first glance at it's ingredients, or it may not be good at all. I don't like that it contains Ginkgo or Chamomile right off the bat.

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?

Posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:35:48

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:34:10

p.s., Antioxidants were just an example.

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania

Posted by Jai on November 7, 2003, at 19:23:19

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:34:10

Taylor18, you really know your stuff. I totally appreciate your information and delivery. What an interesting idea to use New Chapter Zyflamend for schizophrenia. Have you ever contacted New Chapter with this idea? I know they are open to new ideas.

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania

Posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 23:59:31

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania, posted by Jai on November 7, 2003, at 19:23:19

Jai,

Thank you. I have no formal medical training or recreational study under my belt. I know what I read in passing on Medscape, PubMed, popular orthomed literature etc. However, cause and effect is the universal language. If specific supplements were designed for bipolar and schizophrenia, I suppose New Chapter would be an ideal company. Their commitment to quality, purity, and integrity along with products tailored to the prevention and treatment of specific conditions is as near perfect as could be hoped for.

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania

Posted by Jai on November 9, 2003, at 8:45:55

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 23:59:31

thanks for your response. I think I will tell them about the idea. I am sure they would find it interesting. My mother was a schizophrenic-bipolar, it would have been nice to have had her on something so clean and with so few (if any) side effects. My mother died in March 2003. So I personally would have loved to have seen some real alternatives. She was on Stellazine (sp?) for 40 years.

 

lar....what about the holy basil part? (nm) Larry Hoover

Posted by joebob on November 9, 2003, at 11:39:32

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania? taylor18, posted by Larry Hoover on November 7, 2003, at 8:48:10

 

Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?

Posted by Larry Hoover on November 10, 2003, at 6:32:12

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:34:10

> Larry,
>
> "If you want to spend your money this way, fine, but turmeric (the spice) is potent and cheap, all by its lonesome."

Curcumin is on of the most potent COX-2 inhibitors ever discovered. Check Pubmed.

> Actually, 60 servings of Zyflamend, cost $28.57, rounded up to approx. $34 with s/h. That's $.56/day, 1/2 the price of a candy bar, and 1/8 the price of a pack of a cigarettes.

I estimate turmeric at 0.03 per dose.

> Order: http://store.yahoo.com/smartbomb/nczyf120.html
>
> I think it's irresposible to rely on store-bought, sometimes source-unknown, free-form turmeric. What I mean here is standarization of course.

> Aside from that, the key point with Zyflamend is synergy, i.e., TURMERIC Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2;
>
> "synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.*"
>
Then you get into OPCs and polyphenols. You didn't mention those in your first post. You focussed on COX-2. I replied in terms of COX-2.

Lar

 

Re: Supercritical DHA taylor18

Posted by Larry Hoover on November 10, 2003, at 6:46:31

In reply to Re: Zyflamend supplement for schizophrenia, -mania?, posted by taylor18 on November 7, 2003, at 15:34:10

> Larry,

> As a side note, I have also come across Supercritical DHA, which looks very promising:
> http://www.new-chapter.com/product/supercritical.lasso?-database=NC_Products&-layout=Product&-response=%2fproduct%2fproduct.lasso&-recordID=20&-search

After reading the product description, I am under-whelmed. First, the use of language. Supercritical what? SFE is an analytical and purification technique, but that's not what term they're using. Second, they say "extracted from pristine deep ocean waters", but DHA is not extracted from water. Whatever they're trying to say, they've mangled it, from a scientific perspective. It's like that other phrase applied to some fish oil "molecularly distilled". It's a bogus use of language, to market a product, rather than to inform. That just raises red flags for me. Only down below, where they describe the content of each capsule, does it show that the DHA content is only 100 mg, and EPA at 40 mg. You'll get more than that from a single Walmart-brand fish oil cap. And saying that eugenol improves digestion of fats is simply wrong. Moreover, saying "CLOVE According to USDA, nature's richest known source of the phytonutrient called eugenol, which enhances the metabolism of DHA" is also wrong. Clove is the richest source of eugenol, but it completely blocks the metabolism of not only DHA, but all the PUFAs. I have other criticisms, but I'm not going to spend the time on them. I hope I've simply raised some questions about credibility.

Buy these blended products if you must, but recognize two things: a) the proportion of the ingredients has been decided arbitrarily, and by someone else; b) the advertising hype is not referenced for your consideration of its validity.

Lar

 

Re: lar....what about the holy basil part? joebob

Posted by Larry Hoover on November 11, 2003, at 18:45:49

In reply to lar....what about the holy basil part? (nm) Larry Hoover, posted by joebob on November 9, 2003, at 11:39:32

Uhhh, what in particular where you wondering about? A quick scan of my herbal database made me think, hmmmm, sounds like rosemary, and lo and behold, it has rosmarinic acid in the oil.

Clearly a solid source of inhibitors of COX-1 and COX-2, with antioxidant properties.

Lar


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Alternative | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.