Psycho-Babble Alternative Thread 271002

Shown: posts 1 to 10 of 10. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Vitamin C and adrenaline

Posted by taylor18 on October 20, 2003, at 1:56:52

A lot of physicians recommend Vitamin C for schizophrenia and bipolar, but Vitamin C is a pre-cursor to adrenaline (it takes 1 molecule of vitamin C to create 1 molecule of adrenaline). In my own experience, it's immediately calming, then it leads to aggression if not taken regularly thereafter.

 

Re: Vitamin C and adrenaline taylor18

Posted by Larry Hoover on October 20, 2003, at 13:24:26

In reply to Vitamin C and adrenaline, posted by taylor18 on October 20, 2003, at 1:56:52

> A lot of physicians recommend Vitamin C for schizophrenia and bipolar, but Vitamin C is a pre-cursor to adrenaline (it takes 1 molecule of vitamin C to create 1 molecule of adrenaline).

I *hate* to be pedantic but....(OK, I'm lying. I like to be pedantic)...

Vitamin C is not a precursor, it's a cofactor. Precursors are transformed into the desired product, whereas cofactors are essential for the conversion to occur. If I'm not mistaken, the term vita-min arises from the concept "VITA-l for MIN-eral activity", as minerals lie at the heart of virtually all enzymes. Enzymes depend on the assistance of vitamins to function properly/efficiently.

> In my own experience, it's immediately calming, then it leads to aggression if not taken regularly thereafter.

Your body can become dependent on vitamin C intake, if you take it regularly. Better to be intermittent, though high dose.

Lar

 

Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, op.s

Posted by loolot on October 21, 2003, at 14:07:03

In reply to Re: Vitamin C and adrenaline taylor18, posted by Larry Hoover on October 20, 2003, at 13:24:26

Are there any good supplements someone can recommend for adrenal function? I think my adrenal system is completely out of whack.
Heres why I think that, and maybe someone can chime in here:
I have been taking wellbutrin for depression for about 5 years now. Before I took the wellbutrin I had chronic sinusitis, characterised by very inflamed sinuses, causing my eyes to swell up.
A few years ago the Well.n began to fail and I started having terrible asthma and generally bad inflammation of my lungs (asthma is caused partly by inflamed, restricted lung passages) and sinuses, for which no treatment worked, not even predisone after a while.
Finally, I augmented the wellbutrin with effexor, and my asthma cleared up immediately, like a miracle cure.
Now I am off effexor (weight gain and sexual problems) and the asthma is coming back.
I recently started taking strattera (norepinephrine booster) to augment the wellbutrin instead.
The problem is that I take a dose and I am fine for a few hours, then I start to get very tired , pale and very cold as the meds wear off.
I called my doc and asked him to give me a smaller dose so I can take a small dose 2 or 3 times a day instead of one big one.
Now I have been off strattera for a day as I wait for him to call in the prescrip. and my asthma is coming back with a vengeance, and I am puffy, retaining a lot of water, even wors than before I started the strattera.
It seems like my adrenal function is kind of out of whack, and the norepinephrine in all three medications is the only thing that is helping.
However, I worry that in taking these meds that my body will become immune to the norepinephrine, like a dependence, in that the receptors for norepinephrine will stop working (I read this is partly what happens with heart failure) and I will get worse over time.
I am not sure if thats what happened with the wellbutrin or not, or if the stuff just plain wore off.
Anyway, should I take an adrenal supplement? Which one? I do take b12 and folic acid.
Is it a bad idea for adrenal function to take a norepinephrine med?
I also think I am a tiny bit hypothyroid, and cytomel has helped my depression and energy, for whatever thats worth

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, op.s loolot

Posted by Larry Hoover on October 21, 2003, at 14:30:14

In reply to Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, op.s, posted by loolot on October 21, 2003, at 14:07:03

> Are there any good supplements someone can recommend for adrenal function? I think my adrenal system is completely out of whack.
> Heres why I think that, and maybe someone can chime in here:
> I have been taking wellbutrin for depression for about 5 years now. Before I took the wellbutrin I had chronic sinusitis, characterised by very inflamed sinuses, causing my eyes to swell up.
> A few years ago the Well.n began to fail and I started having terrible asthma and generally bad inflammation of my lungs (asthma is caused partly by inflamed, restricted lung passages) and sinuses, for which no treatment worked, not even predisone after a while.
> Finally, I augmented the wellbutrin with effexor, and my asthma cleared up immediately, like a miracle cure.
> Now I am off effexor (weight gain and sexual problems) and the asthma is coming back.
> I recently started taking strattera (norepinephrine booster) to augment the wellbutrin instead.
> The problem is that I take a dose and I am fine for a few hours, then I start to get very tired , pale and very cold as the meds wear off.
> I called my doc and asked him to give me a smaller dose so I can take a small dose 2 or 3 times a day instead of one big one.
> Now I have been off strattera for a day as I wait for him to call in the prescrip. and my asthma is coming back with a vengeance, and I am puffy, retaining a lot of water, even wors than before I started the strattera.
> It seems like my adrenal function is kind of out of whack, and the norepinephrine in all three medications is the only thing that is helping.
> However, I worry that in taking these meds that my body will become immune to the norepinephrine, like a dependence, in that the receptors for norepinephrine will stop working (I read this is partly what happens with heart failure) and I will get worse over time.
> I am not sure if thats what happened with the wellbutrin or not, or if the stuff just plain wore off.
> Anyway, should I take an adrenal supplement? Which one? I do take b12 and folic acid.
> Is it a bad idea for adrenal function to take a norepinephrine med?
> I also think I am a tiny bit hypothyroid, and cytomel has helped my depression and energy, for whatever thats worth

Commonly recommended adrenal supports are vitamin C (gram doses, up to three times a day), magnesium, selenium, pantothenate, B-complex (in other words, extra pantothenate on top of that in a B-complex), alphalipoic acid, long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

I'm a little bit unsure as to why Effexor might have positively affected your asthma. Niacinamide should help, as should the magnesium. You may also find that Enada NADH is worth a try, as an energy boost. Trimethylglycine may also have a positive effect.

Magnesium, vitamin C, and B-vitamins are key nutrients for adrenal function.

Lar

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, Larry Hoover

Posted by loolot on October 21, 2003, at 16:59:54

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, op.s loolot, posted by Larry Hoover on October 21, 2003, at 14:30:14

Thanks so much Larry

>
> Commonly recommended adrenal supports are vitamin C (gram doses, up to three times a day), magnesium, selenium, pantothenate, B-complex (in other words, extra pantothenate on top of that in a B-complex), alphalipoic acid, long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

What about an adrenal supplement, like a porcine or bovine supp. I do take fish oil. It seems like it helps.

> I'm a little bit unsure as to why Effexor might have positively affected your asthma. Niacinamide should help, as should the magnesium. You may also find that Enada NADH is worth a try, as an energy boost. Trimethylglycine may also have a positive effect.

I think the reason the effexor worked is because of the norepinephrine boost. Thats my guess, anyway. Does norepinephrine stimulate the adrenal gland or does it just get secreted and thats that?

> Magnesium, vitamin C, and B-vitamins are key nutrients for adrenal function.
>
> Lar
Ill get some Magnesium and C.

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, loolot

Posted by Larry Hoover on October 22, 2003, at 15:38:06

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, Larry Hoover, posted by loolot on October 21, 2003, at 16:59:54

> Thanks so much Larry
>
> >
> > Commonly recommended adrenal supports are vitamin C (gram doses, up to three times a day), magnesium, selenium, pantothenate, B-complex (in other words, extra pantothenate on top of that in a B-complex), alphalipoic acid, long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

For some reason pantothenic acid keeps coming up in my research. Just emphasizing it again.

> What about an adrenal supplement, like a porcine or bovine supp.

You're messing with guessing, when you consider such products. They may well be just the thing for adrenal insufficiency, but dose becomes a critical question that I don't have the answer for. It's a fairly common practise to use a physiological replacement dose of e.g. hydrocortisone to do two things: a) trick the pituitary and hypothalamus into "thinking" that the adrenals are finally responding to the stimuli to secrete cortisol; and, b) to thereby give the adrenals a rest from the constant "whipping" they've been receiving from those other two glands. Again, it comes down to dose. I'm leary of messing directly in hormones like that.

> I do take fish oil. It seems like it helps.

Fish oil is going to help all your organs and glands. It's not just brain food.

> > I'm a little bit unsure as to why Effexor might have positively affected your asthma. Niacinamide should help, as should the magnesium. You may also find that Enada NADH is worth a try, as an energy boost. Trimethylglycine may also have a positive effect.
>
> I think the reason the effexor worked is because of the norepinephrine boost. Thats my guess, anyway. Does norepinephrine stimulate the adrenal gland or does it just get secreted and thats that?

I'm not sure what you mean by your question, but magnesium deficiency is associated norepinephrine excess. The effexor could have been like whipping a tired horse a little harder, but then the horse is just even more tired.

> > Magnesium, vitamin C, and B-vitamins are key nutrients for adrenal function.
> >
> > Lar
> Ill get some Magnesium and C.
>

Kewl. Keep us informed of how you're doing.

Lar

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice,

Posted by loolot on October 23, 2003, at 11:33:38

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, loolot, posted by Larry Hoover on October 22, 2003, at 15:38:06

Thanks so much Larry!!
I just got a vit supplement specifically for adrenal support with all of the vits you mention, so hopefully it will help.
I also got an amino acid compound so I dont get out of balance with just the tyrosine I am taking.
I may take more magnesium, too
Thanks!
loolot

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, loolot

Posted by Larry Hoover on October 25, 2003, at 8:05:10

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice,, posted by loolot on October 23, 2003, at 11:33:38

> Thanks so much Larry!!
> I just got a vit supplement specifically for adrenal support with all of the vits you mention, so hopefully it will help.
> I also got an amino acid compound so I dont get out of balance with just the tyrosine I am taking.
> I may take more magnesium, too
> Thanks!
> loolot

You're welcome. Keep your anticipation in check, OK? It can take a long time for you to feel different. It's a gradual restoration whenever you're dealing with glands/hormones via nutrition.

Lar

 

Thanks Larry! (nm)

Posted by loolot on October 25, 2003, at 12:48:28

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, loolot, posted by Larry Hoover on October 25, 2003, at 8:05:10

 

Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice, loolot

Posted by Larry Hoover on November 2, 2003, at 7:19:42

In reply to Re: Q about adrenal system and supps-need advice,, posted by loolot on October 23, 2003, at 11:33:38

> Thanks so much Larry!!
> I just got a vit supplement specifically for adrenal support with all of the vits you mention, so hopefully it will help.
> I also got an amino acid compound so I dont get out of balance with just the tyrosine I am taking.
> I may take more magnesium, too
> Thanks!
> loolot

Tealady just posted a link to a great article. Thanks, Jan.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/stress4-4.html

Lar


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Alternative | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.