Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 1117476

Shown: posts 23 to 47 of 63. Go back in thread:

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 5:25:20

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 5:18:10

I once considered myself a hopeless case and I was wrong. I do want to live now so in my case it made sense what the doctors did. However, subjectively, the hope that was left was improving nutrition and getting a good therapist. With meds alone, I think I'd still not want to live.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 1, 2021, at 8:56:59

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 5:25:20

> I once considered myself a hopeless case and I was wrong. I do want to live now so in my case it made sense what the doctors did. However, subjectively, the hope that was left was improving nutrition and getting a good therapist. With meds alone, I think I'd still not want to live.
>

Psychostimulants used to wipe out my suicidal ideation in a matter of minutes after a dose.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 9:21:10

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 1, 2021, at 8:56:59

They dont anymore? My psychiatrist wouldnt prescribe. Did you get more delusions etc. while on them? I recall you experience psychotic symptomd at times.

> Psychostimulants used to wipe out my suicidal ideation in a matter of minutes after a dose.
>
> -undopaminergic
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 1, 2021, at 11:01:37

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 9:21:10

> They dont anymore?

At first, a potent dopaminergic stimulant like methylphenidate was enough on its own. Last time I checked, however, I needed a sizeable (maybe 500 mg) dose of caffeine in addition.

> My psychiatrist wouldnt prescribe. Did you get more delusions etc. while on them? I recall you experience psychotic symptomd at times.
>

Not directly, but indirectly, by relieving my apathy, which comes with poverty of thought, there was simply a tremendous quantity of additional (beyond apathy) thoughts, some of which sometimes turning into delusions. So, with stimulants, there is simply much more opportunity for delusions to form -- at least if they provide relief from baseline apathy. But it's worth it. (Very few of the delusions were actually problematic.)

-undopaminergic

> > Psychostimulants used to wipe out my suicidal ideation in a matter of minutes after a dose.
> >
> > -undopaminergic
> >
>
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 13:58:54

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 1, 2021, at 11:01:37

I understand you are excited that it relieved your symptoms but I question how sustainable that is long term. IE Would it keep producing that result. Do you think it would?

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.. Lamdage22

Posted by Jay2112 on December 1, 2021, at 15:59:36

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 5:25:20

> I once considered myself a hopeless case and I was wrong. I do want to live now so in my case it made sense what the doctors did. However, subjectively, the hope that was left was improving nutrition and getting a good therapist. With meds alone, I think I'd still not want to live.

Actually, I think we are quite similar! Being bipolar II, I really want to avoid getting too 'low' or off the freakin walls 'high'. And...to me..it's always been.."Whatever gets you through the night". Medications are just a part of the tools, the equation into whatever 'health and happiness' is. I am still looking for good therapy, as it is hard for me to monetarily afford.

Jay

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 23:28:47

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.. Lamdage22, posted by Jay2112 on December 1, 2021, at 15:59:36

It took a long time of trial and error for me to find someone who can facilitate positive change. I am leaning more towards analytical therapy than CBT which is why my current therapist works analytically. A history of psychosis does not necessarily mean you can't work analytically. I found that out two years ago.

Hang in there.

> I am still looking for good therapy, as it is hard for me to monetarily afford.
>
> Jay
>
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 3:57:14

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 23:28:47

It is a shame that insurances don't cover psychotherapy in most countries. After all, society has an interest in members as healthy as possible. And you leave a certain percentage of possible improvement behind. I think that percentage is pretty high.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 8:35:47

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 13:58:54

> I understand you are excited that it relieved your symptoms but I question how sustainable that is long term. IE Would it keep producing that result. Do you think it would?
>

Well, as I implied, the dopaminergic (cocaine-like) stimulant on its own stopped working, although it did happen only after many years. So in that sense, it wasn't sustainable. I don't know if the combination with caffeine would also stop working with time. So the answer to your question is maybe -- I don't know.

I'm unable to use this treatment now because I'm hospitalised and the doctors here are very negative toward this class of drugs, as well as benzodiazepines, and certain others, including anticholinergics; meanwhile they are infatuated with clozapine and olanzapine (Zyprexa).

When I get discharged, I don't know what I'll do. I want to be able to "naturally" feel and function well, without drugs, and if I use them, I'm afraid I'll remain dependent on them indefinitely as a crutch. But can I afford to waste years of my life on remaining depressed when I know there are treatments that help?

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 8:40:33

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 1, 2021, at 23:28:47

> I am leaning more towards analytical therapy than CBT ...

Me too.

> A history of psychosis does not necessarily mean you can't work analytically.
>

Of course. Why would it?

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 8:42:51

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 3:57:14

> It is a shame that insurances don't cover psychotherapy in most countries. After all, society has an interest in members as healthy as possible. And you leave a certain percentage of possible improvement behind. I think that percentage is pretty high.
>

It is, depending on how well the therapy succeeds. I like to think there is no limit in theory, but it's hard in practice.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 10:21:58

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 8:42:51

Well some psychiatrists and psychologists said to me I shall not do analytical therapy. But they had conflict of interest for sure. 100 % improvement would be pretty damn awesome. I heard of a woman who did therapy for 40 years.

And how does Olanzapine and or Clozapine make you feel? At least you have internet there. What was the reason for hospitalization?

It sounds like the dopamine stabilizing antipsychotics could be good in theory. Abilify etc Just not sure if it works out in real life very often.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 10:45:50

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 8:42:51

Maybe youll reach more if you aim higher?

> It is, depending on how well the therapy succeeds. I like to think there is no limit in theory, but it's hard in practice.
>
> -undopaminergic
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 12:19:20

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 10:21:58

>
> And how does Olanzapine and or Clozapine make you feel?

The most salient effect is that I feel more tired. I'm fortunate to have escaped the weight gain and diabetes.

> At least you have internet there. What was the reason for hospitalization?
>

Originally, I don't know really, but I was out for a particularly long walk to an unsual location and in the middle of the night. To put it short, I guess you could say I was acting out of character or just in a way that alarmed someone. The hospital I was at first sent me to the current hospital because they thought I was unmanageable; notably, I escaped to another country (and was sent back), and I threw a computer monitor onto the floor to illustrate my dissatisfaction with a conversation with a doctor.

> It sounds like the dopamine stabilizing antipsychotics could be good in theory. Abilify etc Just not sure if it works out in real life very often.
>

Normalising dopaminergic neurotransmission would be a good start for the treatment of many disorders, but I don't think drugs can do it, and even if they did, the problem is likely not just dopamine.

Abilify did nothing for me, but pramipexole was the only drug that ever relieved my anhedonia.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 13:05:34

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 2, 2021, at 12:19:20

> > At least you have internet there. What was the reason for hospitalization?
> >
>
> Originally, I don't know really, but I was out for a particularly long walk to an unsual location and in the middle of the night. To put it short, I guess you could say I was acting out of character or just in a way that alarmed someone. The hospital I was at first sent me to the current hospital because they thought I was unmanageable; notably, I escaped to another country (and was sent back), and I threw a computer monitor onto the floor to illustrate my dissatisfaction with a conversation with a doctor.

The doctors care more about odd or angry behavior than anhedonia, even if you feel the anhedonia is worse. If you act out in a damaging way, they are on the hot seat. Ontop of that, some stuff is hard to live with when you are ok again and think: What the hell did I do...

> Normalising dopaminergic neurotransmission would be a good start for the treatment of many disorders, but I don't think drugs can do it, and even if they did, the problem is likely not just dopamine.
>
> Abilify did nothing for me, but pramipexole was the only drug that ever relieved my anhedonia.

Did it have side effects? What made you quit?

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 13:35:14

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 13:05:34

Wish I could chat with babblers on the psychology board. I don't understand the tendency to talk about meds and not psychology.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 3, 2021, at 8:37:49

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 13:05:34

> > > At least you have internet there. What was the reason for hospitalization?
> > >
> >
> > Originally, I don't know really, but I was out for a particularly long walk to an unsual location and in the middle of the night. To put it short, I guess you could say I was acting out of character or just in a way that alarmed someone. The hospital I was at first sent me to the current hospital because they thought I was unmanageable; notably, I escaped to another country (and was sent back), and I threw a computer monitor onto the floor to illustrate my dissatisfaction with a conversation with a doctor.
>
> The doctors care more about odd or angry behavior than anhedonia, ...

Yes, I know.

> If you act out in a damaging way, they are on the hot seat.

I'm not sure what being on the hot seat means.

> Ontop of that, some stuff is hard to live with when you are ok again and think: What the hell did I do...
>

Yes. I wrote some embarrassing e-mails when I was erotomanic.

> > Abilify did nothing for me, but pramipexole was the only drug that ever relieved my anhedonia.
>
> Did it have side effects? What made you quit?

Pretty much as you'd expect (and hope otherwise!) it stopped working. I think there was also intermittent tiredness.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 3, 2021, at 8:40:25

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 3, 2021, at 8:37:49

They get into trouble if you do.

> I'm not sure what being on the hot seat means.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 3, 2021, at 8:44:41

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 2, 2021, at 13:35:14

> Wish I could chat with babblers on the psychology board. I don't understand the tendency to talk about meds and not psychology.
>

The medication section is the main forum. Posting here is the path of least resistance. It is to be expected that it gets the most activity, and so if you post here you get the most readers (and thus replyers).

I'm interested in psychology, but I am not in the habit of checking other sections.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 4, 2021, at 4:19:40

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 3, 2021, at 8:44:41

Ok, so its kind of a rule now that you can post psychology or lifestyle stuff here? Yeah, this place is very liberal. Topic changes, everything. If you do that elsewhere they will tell you off big time

> > Wish I could chat with babblers on the psychology board. I don't understand the tendency to talk about meds and not psychology.
> >
>
> The medication section is the main forum. Posting here is the path of least resistance. It is to be expected that it gets the most activity, and so if you post here you get the most readers (and thus replyers).
>
> I'm interested in psychology, but I am not in the habit of checking other sections.
>
> -undopaminergic
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 4, 2021, at 14:47:52

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 4, 2021, at 4:19:40

> Ok, so its kind of a rule now that you can post psychology or lifestyle stuff here?
>

It's not official. I remember back when Dr. Bob was more active here, that he would sometimes move a thread to another section.

> Yeah, this place is very liberal. Topic changes, everything. If you do that elsewhere they will tell you off big time
>

Most places I've used tolerate topic drift.

-undopaminergic


> > > Wish I could chat with babblers on the psychology board. I don't understand the tendency to talk about meds and not psychology.
> > >
> >
> > The medication section is the main forum. Posting here is the path of least resistance. It is to be expected that it gets the most activity, and so if you post here you get the most readers (and thus replyers).
> >
> > I'm interested in psychology, but I am not in the habit of checking other sections.
> >
> > -undopaminergic
> >
>
>

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 4, 2021, at 15:20:10

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 4, 2021, at 14:47:52

I like your theory that any activity is welcomed at this point. It is not enough for several different boards, for sure.

> It's not official. I remember back when Dr. Bob was more active here, that he would sometimes move a thread to another section.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 5, 2021, at 3:09:21

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 4, 2021, at 15:20:10

Any constructive activity, anyway.

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by undopaminergic on December 5, 2021, at 8:45:39

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by Lamdage22 on December 4, 2021, at 15:20:10

My theory? I don't know what you're referring to.

> I like your theory that any activity is welcomed at this point. It is not enough for several different boards, for sure.
>
> > It's not official. I remember back when Dr. Bob was more active here, that he would sometimes move a thread to another section.
>

-undopaminergic

 

Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day..

Posted by Lamdage22 on December 6, 2021, at 0:59:19

In reply to Re: (Really) Cold water..back in the day.., posted by undopaminergic on December 5, 2021, at 8:45:39

I thought you said a while back that most activity is good activity since these boards aren't visited anymore like they used to. I could have confused something.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.