Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 1016647

Shown: posts 1 to 19 of 19. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Hi - I wanted to provide an update on me. You might recall I posted about a month ago with my symptoms of anxiety and possible post traumatic stress from a very traumatic experience in my life. I began experiencing dizziness on an almost daily basis last June. And I believe that caused panic attacks.

Well - I stopped taking Ambien, which I've been on for about 3 years now. It was a very low dose - half a pill per night. I tapered myself off by taking one half of a half for a few nights and then stopped completely. I now take one Melatonin a night but I probably do not even need that.

I have NO problems sleeping at all. Not falling asleep - nor staying asleep. Sometimes I wake up but then go right back to sleep. I have MUCH MUCH better sleep quality and now I dream again whereas on Ambien I did not. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested and do not require as much sleep. Best of all - my dizziness is gone! No more feeling edgy, jumpy, sensitivity to noise, panicky etc.

It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien. My body is very very sensitive to any kind of drug. I react VERY strongly to even the smallest dose of most medications and only require a small dose of most. you might recall I was taking one half of a .25 Xanax which gave me relief from the dizziness. I have not needed to take a Xanax in weeks!

I just wanted to pass this information along in case it might help someone else. It is very possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien. I am still seeing a therapist every other week and she helps me immensely - but I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I still believe I have a tendency to anxiety in general but I think the ambien or reaction to it the next day might have possibly had something to do with how I was feeling.

All the best to everyone on here! :)

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone MelanieG

Posted by Phillipa on April 28, 2012, at 20:52:14

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Congratulations and thanks for the thoughtful update. Phillipa

 

Lou's response-leighcvphyur MelanieG

Posted by Lou Pilder on April 28, 2012, at 21:26:44

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

> Hi - I wanted to provide an update on me. You might recall I posted about a month ago with my symptoms of anxiety and possible post traumatic stress from a very traumatic experience in my life. I began experiencing dizziness on an almost daily basis last June. And I believe that caused panic attacks.
>
> Well - I stopped taking Ambien, which I've been on for about 3 years now. It was a very low dose - half a pill per night. I tapered myself off by taking one half of a half for a few nights and then stopped completely. I now take one Melatonin a night but I probably do not even need that.
>
> I have NO problems sleeping at all. Not falling asleep - nor staying asleep. Sometimes I wake up but then go right back to sleep. I have MUCH MUCH better sleep quality and now I dream again whereas on Ambien I did not. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested and do not require as much sleep. Best of all - my dizziness is gone! No more feeling edgy, jumpy, sensitivity to noise, panicky etc.
>
> It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien. My body is very very sensitive to any kind of drug. I react VERY strongly to even the smallest dose of most medications and only require a small dose of most. you might recall I was taking one half of a .25 Xanax which gave me relief from the dizziness. I have not needed to take a Xanax in weeks!
>
> I just wanted to pass this information along in case it might help someone else. It is very possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien. I am still seeing a therapist every other week and she helps me immensely - but I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I still believe I have a tendency to anxiety in general but I think the ambien or reaction to it the next day might have possibly had something to do with how I was feeling.
>
> All the best to everyone on here! :)

MelanieG,
You wrote,[...tramatic experiance in my life...anxiety...dizzynesss..panic attacks...stopped taking Ambien...not needed to take Xanax...possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien...still seeing a therapist...].
There are things in what you have posted here that fit into a situation that could be unbeknownst to you and your therapist that I could help here with. You see, you are describing a situaation that could have unexpected happenings going forward. This has to do with delayed reactions, triggers, consequences from taking benzodiazepines, and things that could be beyond psychiatry and psychology that I know.
What I am getting at here is that you could run into a catastrophic situation that I know how you could overcome and you and your therapist may not be able to understand what is happening and you might not know what to do. If that happens, feel free for your therpist to contact me, for it could save your life or prevent you from gettinmg a life-ruining condition or addiction IMHHO. This is based on my deep study into the situation that you describe here and what I know about benzodiazepines and what I know about what you wrote here. In particular, but not limited to the taking of Ambien and your tramatic experiance. There are connections involved that I am prohibited from posting here due to prohibitions made to me by Mr. Hsiung. But your therapist could contact me if going forward you run into an unknown situation and can not explain it. But I see ahead here by what you wrote a possibility of coming to an impossible chasm to cross. If you get there,and do not know what to do, you and your therapist could contact me if you like.
Lou

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by ron1953 on April 28, 2012, at 22:03:45

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Glad to hear it! I've been taking Ambien for far too long, and your report is an encouragement for me to quit.

 

Re: Lou's response-leighcvphyur Lou Pilder

Posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 23:51:16

In reply to Lou's response-leighcvphyur MelanieG, posted by Lou Pilder on April 28, 2012, at 21:26:44


> MelanieG,
> You wrote,[...tramatic experiance in my life...anxiety...dizzynesss..panic attacks...stopped taking Ambien...not needed to take Xanax...possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien...still seeing a therapist...].
> There are things in what you have posted here that fit into a situation that could be unbeknownst to you and your therapist that I could help here with. You see, you are describing a situaation that could have unexpected happenings going forward. This has to do with delayed reactions, triggers, consequences from taking benzodiazepines, and things that could be beyond psychiatry and psychology that I know.
> What I am getting at here is that you could run into a catastrophic situation that I know how you could overcome and you and your therapist may not be able to understand what is happening and you might not know what to do. If that happens, feel free for your therpist to contact me, for it could save your life or prevent you from gettinmg a life-ruining condition or addiction IMHHO. This is based on my deep study into the situation that you describe here and what I know about benzodiazepines and what I know about what you wrote here. In particular, but not limited to the taking of Ambien and your tramatic experiance. There are connections involved that I am prohibited from posting here due to prohibitions made to me by Mr. Hsiung. But your therapist could contact me if going forward you run into an unknown situation and can not explain it. But I see ahead here by what you wrote a possibility of coming to an impossible chasm to cross. If you get there,and do not know what to do, you and your therapist could contact me if you like.
> Lou

I have absolutely NO idea WHAT you are talking about - but I find your response very offensive indeed. And NO I have no intention of contacting you! I am not on ANY drugs now and have no need to be nor is my life in ANY danger nor am I in harm's way nor am I in danger of becoming addicted to a drug. I am under the care of a licensed psychiatric nurse practioner who I see twice a month at most - and that is all I need. Just what are your credentials and educational background? Actually don't answer that - and please don't respond to my posts again.

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone ron1953

Posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 23:52:59

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by ron1953 on April 28, 2012, at 22:03:45

Hi Ron - I'd definitely encourage you to do so, under the care of your doctor. I was on a low dose but still tapered off slowly. I have since read quite a few things about Ambien causing the symptoms I was having - 'panic attack' like symptoms and I'm telling you - I have not felt this good in a long long time. I hope you are able to feel as good. I wish you all the best!

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone Phillipa

Posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 23:53:32

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone MelanieG, posted by Phillipa on April 28, 2012, at 20:52:14

Thank you so much Phillipa! :)

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone MelanieG

Posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 2:11:22

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Hi. Melanie.

It is wonderful that you have discovered the right treatment for yourself - no treatment.

> It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien.

That's a pretty nifty bit of brainstorming. I would agree with you.

I had the same thing happen to me with Halcion and, to a lesser extent, Ativan. I imagine some people are more apt to experience this phenomenon than others. It might also depend on what other drugs are coadministered. I liken Halcion to Ambien in that they are both unusually potent and have short half-lives. They are also the two hypnotic drugs with the greatest potential to produce amnestic phenomena. I'm not sure why.

Thanks for posting, and continued good health!


- Scott

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 7:10:01

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone MelanieG, posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 2:11:22

Glad you didn't takes Scott's previous advice and followed your own instincts.

Posted by SLS on April 1, 2012, at 6:04:47

In reply to Anxiety medication, posted by MelanieG on March 30, 2012, at 21:42:25

It sounds like generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) to me. The three best drugs to treat GAD, in my opinion are: Paxil, Effexor, and Nardil. For non-antidepressant treatments, I think Klonopin is worth a look. It is pretty smooth and lasts all day long. If Klonopin makes you feel depressed - something that happens occasionally, Then either Ativan or Xanax XR. Perhaps you doctor still works with Valium. Seroquel and Phenergan and Abilify seem to be good for anxiety, although Abilify can be activating initially. These drugs are dopamine blocking drugs, and have the potential to produce EPS side effects, albeit these specific drugs are less apt to do so than most of the others. Lyrica is supposed to help, but not many people use it here. Buspirone can be used. If it will be of help, it can take several weeks to start working. For PTSD, prazosin, guanfacine, and Topamax seem to work. There isn't much written about anticonvulsant mood stabilizers for anxiety, but Trileptal, Gabatril, and Neurontin can help.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, what's the next question.

:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_anxiety_disorder


- Scott


Re: Anxiety medication MelanieG

Posted by SLS on April 1, 2012, at 6:16:25

In reply to Re: Anxiety medication, posted by MelanieG on March 31, 2012, at 21:06:27

> But I worry I will become dependent and my 'nerves' will never level off on their own.

CBT psyhcotherapy is often helpful, but might not be sufficient to treat severe GAD.

People who have Major Depressive Disorder rely on (are dependent on) antidepressants. So what? People with diabetes rely on (are dependent on) insulin. So what? Will your nerves "settle" down so that you can remove the GAD drug treatments? It is very much possible. For now, take things one step at a time and make decisions as you go along depending on the path your symptoms take.

I forgot to mention propranolol. This drug can help with the physical automomic symptoms of anxiety: hand tremors, heart palpitations, elevated heart rate, dry mouth, blurred vision, chest pain, sweating, fellings of suffocation, muscle tension, headaches, back pain, dizziness, etc.


> Hi. Melanie.
>
> It is wonderful that you have discovered the right treatment for yourself - no treatment.
>
> > It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien.
>
> That's a pretty nifty bit of brainstorming. I would agree with you.
>
> I had the same thing happen to me with Halcion and, to a lesser extent, Ativan. I imagine some people are more apt to experience this phenomenon than others. It might also depend on what other drugs are coadministered. I liken Halcion to Ambien in that they are both unusually potent and have short half-lives. They are also the two hypnotic drugs with the greatest potential to produce amnestic phenomena. I'm not sure why.
>
> Thanks for posting, and continued good health!
>
>
> - Scott

 

Lou's response-whtyudoughntnoecudkilyu

Posted by Lou Pilder on April 29, 2012, at 10:20:23

In reply to Lou's response-leighcvphyur MelanieG, posted by Lou Pilder on April 28, 2012, at 21:26:44

> > Hi - I wanted to provide an update on me. You might recall I posted about a month ago with my symptoms of anxiety and possible post traumatic stress from a very traumatic experience in my life. I began experiencing dizziness on an almost daily basis last June. And I believe that caused panic attacks.
> >
> > Well - I stopped taking Ambien, which I've been on for about 3 years now. It was a very low dose - half a pill per night. I tapered myself off by taking one half of a half for a few nights and then stopped completely. I now take one Melatonin a night but I probably do not even need that.
> >
> > I have NO problems sleeping at all. Not falling asleep - nor staying asleep. Sometimes I wake up but then go right back to sleep. I have MUCH MUCH better sleep quality and now I dream again whereas on Ambien I did not. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested and do not require as much sleep. Best of all - my dizziness is gone! No more feeling edgy, jumpy, sensitivity to noise, panicky etc.
> >
> > It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien. My body is very very sensitive to any kind of drug. I react VERY strongly to even the smallest dose of most medications and only require a small dose of most. you might recall I was taking one half of a .25 Xanax which gave me relief from the dizziness. I have not needed to take a Xanax in weeks!
> >
> > I just wanted to pass this information along in case it might help someone else. It is very possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien. I am still seeing a therapist every other week and she helps me immensely - but I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I still believe I have a tendency to anxiety in general but I think the ambien or reaction to it the next day might have possibly had something to do with how I was feeling.
> >
> > All the best to everyone on here! :)
>
> MelanieG,
> You wrote,[...tramatic experiance in my life...anxiety...dizzynesss..panic attacks...stopped taking Ambien...not needed to take Xanax...possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien...still seeing a therapist...].
> There are things in what you have posted here that fit into a situation that could be unbeknownst to you and your therapist that I could help here with. You see, you are describing a situaation that could have unexpected happenings going forward. This has to do with delayed reactions, triggers, consequences from taking benzodiazepines, and things that could be beyond psychiatry and psychology that I know.
> What I am getting at here is that you could run into a catastrophic situation that I know how you could overcome and you and your therapist may not be able to understand what is happening and you might not know what to do. If that happens, feel free for your therpist to contact me, for it could save your life or prevent you from gettinmg a life-ruining condition or addiction IMHHO. This is based on my deep study into the situation that you describe here and what I know about benzodiazepines and what I know about what you wrote here. In particular, but not limited to the taking of Ambien and your tramatic experiance. There are connections involved that I am prohibited from posting here due to prohibitions made to me by Mr. Hsiung. But your therapist could contact me if going forward you run into an unknown situation and can not explain it. But I see ahead here by what you wrote a possibility of coming to an impossible chasm to cross. If you get there,and do not know what to do, you and your therapist could contact me if you like.
> Lou

Friends,
There is an ongoing prohibition to me here to prohibit me from posting educational facts that IMHO could mark the difference between life and death, between living a life free of addiction or not, and to live a life free from having a life-ruining condition. This policy now prevents me from posting a lot of education concerning the drug called Ambien. but let me post some things here that iMHO could save lives or prevent addiction or a life-ruining condition from taking Ambien and/or a benzodiazepine.
There are things that could be unbeknownst to some here concerning what could happen to someone that {stops} taking Ambien and/or a benzodiazepine. This situation I have learned from a deep study of {nerve agents} and the study of {sorcery}. Let me try to tell you what I can here while abiding by the prohibitions to me here from Mr. Hsiung which could lead to some confusion as I have to leave out a lot of educational information.
First, in relation to Ambien, is this a new drug or a new name for a modification, chemically, of an old drug? The drug has constituants that were discovered by a German pharmaceutical chemist in the 1800s. I am prohibited from posting here the full development going forward from that time up to now. But let us look at what the chemists did from the 1800s.
The drug, Ambien, has chemical constituants that are found in the {histamine} system and also used as antifungals. The hystamine aspect is related to the sleep system in the brain. There is also {pyridine} which is chemically in the structure of modified {benzene}.
These chemicals, coming from coal tar, were used in the 1800s. I started to do an exposition on {benzene} here.
Now {pyridine} is a chemical constituant of {belladonna} and can cause hallucinations. The plant was used by sorcerers to assasinate and execute people. The constituants can be reduced to a {piperidine}.
I started to do an exposition here in relation to these chemicals and their use in {nerve agents}. I was also wanting to show the chemical properties of {cyclohexanol}and {dibenzoxepino pyrrole} and what drug uses the chemical constituants found in a riot control agent that could cause death and cancer and other chemicals used in nerve agents and then to go into the formulation of mind-altering drugs, such as the psychotropic drugs that many are taking here.
Now the case at hand here is about Ambien and a benzodiazepine that is stopped. But what could happen after that is something that could be unbeknownst to even the people that prescribe the drugs. I will attempt to post here what that could be unless the prohibitions to me here by Mr. Hsiung prevent me from posting these facts that I think could educate some to have a better understanding of what these mind-alltering drugs can do to the one taking them and then give them a better understnding of that so they could have more information as to make a decision as to take the drugs or not. And also what they could do if they find themselves in a worse situation after stopping the drugs and their provider does not know what to do or wants to prescribe more drugs to that person and with this information one could IMHO make a more -informed decision as to take more drugs or not or do something else.
Lou

 

Re: Lou's response-whtyudoughntnoecudkilyu Lou Pilder

Posted by Melanieg on April 29, 2012, at 12:26:30

In reply to Lou's response-whtyudoughntnoecudkilyu, posted by Lou Pilder on April 29, 2012, at 10:20:23

Hey Lou - - Please don't continue to post additional data at the end of my post - please create a new post if you choose to do so, even though you have been TOLD you are breaking the rules of this message board! If you have so much info to pass along, that is backed by scientific PROOF why don't you create your OWN website and message board??? And stop breaking the rules of THIS board!!!

Ambien NEVER caused me to hallucinate! It NEVER caused me to sleep walk, drive in my sleep, eat in my sleep nor did it give me amnesia. And I was on it for almost three years, every night - 5 mgs. It is now out of my system and has been for over one month. I NEVER experienced any negative withdrawal symptoms once I tapered off of it.

PLEASE - others that read this, do NOT let Lou frighten you from taking Ambien or from coming off it. It had it's place in my life for sure and I do NOT regret taking it when I needed it!!! It is NOT a bad medication in my opinion and has helped many many people! I believe all medications have their place when used responsibly and when you are under the care of a MEDICAL DOCTOR!


 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by bleauberry on April 29, 2012, at 14:20:03

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Very nice.

Since I am super sensitive to most meds or herbs, I can relate.

> Hi - I wanted to provide an update on me. You might recall I posted about a month ago with my symptoms of anxiety and possible post traumatic stress from a very traumatic experience in my life. I began experiencing dizziness on an almost daily basis last June. And I believe that caused panic attacks.
>
> Well - I stopped taking Ambien, which I've been on for about 3 years now. It was a very low dose - half a pill per night. I tapered myself off by taking one half of a half for a few nights and then stopped completely. I now take one Melatonin a night but I probably do not even need that.
>
> I have NO problems sleeping at all. Not falling asleep - nor staying asleep. Sometimes I wake up but then go right back to sleep. I have MUCH MUCH better sleep quality and now I dream again whereas on Ambien I did not. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested and do not require as much sleep. Best of all - my dizziness is gone! No more feeling edgy, jumpy, sensitivity to noise, panicky etc.
>
> It is my belief that I was going through some sort of physical withdrawal each day from the Ambien. My body is very very sensitive to any kind of drug. I react VERY strongly to even the smallest dose of most medications and only require a small dose of most. you might recall I was taking one half of a .25 Xanax which gave me relief from the dizziness. I have not needed to take a Xanax in weeks!
>
> I just wanted to pass this information along in case it might help someone else. It is very possible that I was having a longterm side effect to years of Ambien. I am still seeing a therapist every other week and she helps me immensely - but I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I still believe I have a tendency to anxiety in general but I think the ambien or reaction to it the next day might have possibly had something to do with how I was feeling.
>
> All the best to everyone on here! :)

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone zazenducke

Posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 15:04:15

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 7:10:01

Hi.

Could you please do me the favor of providing a link to the thread that you took my quote from?

Thanks.

I would like to see what there is for me to learn here.

> Glad you didn't takes Scott's previous advice and followed your own instincts.

Me, too.


- Scott (someone's white whale)

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone zazenducke

Posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 15:19:30

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 7:10:01

I found the thread. Thank you.

Google is my friend.


- Scott

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 16:48:04

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone zazenducke, posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 15:04:15


>
>
> - Scott (someone's white whale)


I hope it's someone really special!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDn2QcfH0eo&feature=related

>
>

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone

Posted by SLS on April 29, 2012, at 19:04:45

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 16:48:04

> > - Scott (someone's white whale)


> I hope it's someone really special!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDn2QcfH0eo&feature=related


Absolutely precious.

:-)


- Scott

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone zazenducke

Posted by SLS on April 30, 2012, at 7:26:31

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 16:48:04

> > - Scott (someone's white whale)

> I hope it's someone really special!

It is.

You are an extremely intelligent, creative, and passionate person. I find you intriguing and a lot of fun. I have a difficult time debating you. Your intellect proves to be quite challenging. I have learned from you on more than one occasion. I stole these insights from you without your knowledge. :-)

I don't doubt that we will have our difference in the future. They might involve very passionate challenges. I would just hope that we can do this without ad hominem attacks.

Have a nice day.


- Scott

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone zazenducke

Posted by SLS on April 30, 2012, at 7:31:01

In reply to Re: Update - symptoms are gone, posted by zazenducke on April 29, 2012, at 16:48:04

Is that pod of beluga whales still trapped in the Russian arctic ice? Have they survived? It was a very heartbreaking thing to witness.


- Scott

 

Re: Update - symptoms are gone MelanieG

Posted by gadchik on April 30, 2012, at 10:12:25

In reply to Update - symptoms are gone, posted by MelanieG on April 28, 2012, at 20:31:42

Wow,I love hearing this! So glad you came through it,and figured it out.I know you must be so relieved. Good luck!


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.