Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 839215

Shown: posts 1 to 16 of 16. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Xanax

Posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

I've been on Xanax for years for anxiety, paranoia (with fears associated) and panic attacks. It has helped, but my doctor isnt in favor of prescibing it. Anxiety is still here, Vynanse just increases my alertness and concentration, but it may affect the nerves. But its crucial for attention and anxiety to be treated, thats the main thing. The next thing is, is depression.

I've talked about xanax so much, but it has always calmed me down from any neurotic or paranoid state im in. I can function after i take it, because it makes me feel sane, or "normal".

That will calm me down, and make me fine, heart lowers, no more sweating, i look fine.

How do you get out of a constant state of fear, say things no one will understand. Life is just a bad place right now. But i got plans.....forced plans.

All my say

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by elanor roosevelt on July 10, 2008, at 23:56:31

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

doctors can be very xanax-phobic

what is your preferred xanax dosage?

i have had a few pdocs put me on new meds and not given me xanax with lousy results

if you are feeling fearful perhaps the dr will give you same buspar to hold you over til you find a good pdoc

hang in there

 

Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line

Posted by yxibow on July 11, 2008, at 2:15:35

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

> I've been on Xanax for years for anxiety, paranoia (with fears associated) and panic attacks. It has helped, but my doctor isnt in favor of prescibing it. Anxiety is still here, Vynanse just increases my alertness and concentration, but it may affect the nerves. But its crucial for attention and anxiety to be treated, thats the main thing. The next thing is, is depression.
>
> I've talked about xanax so much, but it has always calmed me down from any neurotic or paranoid state im in. I can function after i take it, because it makes me feel sane, or "normal".
>
> That will calm me down, and make me fine, heart lowers, no more sweating, i look fine.


The heart rate, sweating very much sound like fight or flight sensations that accompany some anxiety disorders. They're meant to be there and are part of our primitive systems, not to sound torturous, but medicating them away may not allow you to teach yourself in non medication manners to slowly eliminate them, which is very much possible. I agree, it is a hard thing.

If not that, then perhaps a low dose of propranolol while you try to work out these issues.


> How do you get out of a constant state of fear, say things no one will understand. Life is just a bad place right now. But i got plans.....forced plans.


As much as I don't like suggesting APs for everything, if your anxiety is this bad, something like a low dose of Seroquel for a short time might have benefits that outweight the risks.


Now you do have a different set of anxiety and attention conditions, but a large dose of a benzodiazepine and a stimulant, at least in some people tend to contradict each other, like gasoline on a fire. Its hard to break through the dosage of the benzodiazepine to make the stimulant work better.


-- tidings

Jay

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by Sky Brite Line on July 11, 2008, at 9:44:11

In reply to Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line, posted by yxibow on July 11, 2008, at 2:15:35

Its before i have to work. My doctor disagrees much with the fact, i take Xanax, but i've stated to him many times. It calms things down. I pulled my self off Xanax for a couple days, i was horrible, sieuzre activity....i cant explain and dont rerember.

Its going to have to be some serious belief in getting good treatment, i already take Seroquel. And it doesnt cut the way Xanax can calm down a storm of nuerotic behavior.

Been on Xanax for years, because of fear, and actaully psychical symtoms of fear like (feeling im not real) and just horrible paranoid feelings "whats going on?"

Its a life saver, i have to tell him this at the next appointment. He's my new doc and disagrees with benzodiapines (tranquilizers). He did say using phenobarb, for coming off Xanax, that or Klonopin (been on klonopin for years, its makes you mind numb, 2 years of nothing). Ugh i've read phenobarbital is the worst drug. I refuse to go on it, i've read its a hard sedative and a (barbiturate) that last 12 hours. No....thanks!

Thanks everyone.

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by Nadezda on July 11, 2008, at 18:22:27

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 11, 2008, at 9:44:11

Hi, Sky Brite.

How much xanax do you take a day?

It could be that your pdoc is concerned about dependency-- whether rightly or wrongly.

Have you considered other, longer-lasting benzos, that are less addictive? It seems that he suggested klonopin, at least while coming off the xanax. Maybe he would agree to your using that or valium if you're having a panic attack.

It's certainly good to keep your dosage of xanax to the minimum.

Nadezda

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by bleauberry on July 11, 2008, at 19:41:06

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

If you've been on xanax for years as you say, then I don't think getting off it any time soon is a wise idea at all. It should realistically take you months to slowly wean off if that is to be done. What I don't understand is why the doctor wants to fix something that isn't broken. You've tried other stuff, xanax seems to be the one, yeah?

I would think a better idea would be to go through a series of trials of adding other things to xanax, such as depakote; zyprexa; lithium; beta-blocker; lyrica; gabapentin; magnesium; and when you find something agreeable, then and only then think about reducing xanax.

Another benzo to try would be lorazepam. I found xanax worked very good when I needed it. Klonopin worked even better except deeply depressing. A nice middleground compromise between the two was lorazepam. I have a friend who has been on lorazepam for years with no dose escalation or tolerance. For him it is to control seizures and tremors. He behaves perfectly normal and you would have no clue he is on a longterm benzo.

You best safety might be to find a doctor who is not benzophobic. A benzophobic doctor could get you in a lot of trouble at this point. I don't think it is smart at all to have them get you off xanax and then try you on other things. Disaster. Try the other things first, while still on xanax.

 

Re: Xanax bleauberry

Posted by Racer on July 11, 2008, at 20:01:03

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by bleauberry on July 11, 2008, at 19:41:06

> >
> You best safety might be to find a doctor who is not benzophobic.

This is a new doctor for the poster, and since we don't know all the details, it might be that there is a very good reason to avoid benzos with this poster. It could be that there is a history of misusing prescription medications, for instance, or it might be that tolerance has developed and is accelerating. There could be a very good reason, and I think it's worth giving the doctor the benefit of the doubt.

Just, you know, another view...

And, admittedly, all the doctors I've ever seen have been very benzo-friendly. It might be this area of the country, but I don't even know anyone who's ever had trouble getting a prescription for benzos. That may color my thinking, and lead me to wonder if there is a history of medication abuse with this poster. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read that this poster's doctors have refused to prescribe medications with a high potential for abuse.

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by Sky Brite Line on July 11, 2008, at 21:57:36

In reply to Re: Xanax bleauberry, posted by Racer on July 11, 2008, at 20:01:03

Well, i cant say much here....because its just discussion. Xanax has helped me get through trama that i inflict on myself because of simple things that are made difficlult.

I've been told I'm emotionally dependent on it. Ok......i tried to pull my self off it, break out in sweats, and feel my brain is fried.

I am taking the Max dose, but dont take it daily.

I realized, when i am psychically not in mental states to function it brings me down to reality, and alliveates any panic reactions and phobias that i obsess, and people definently see it.

I have to just take it "like a marine", if it goes horrible and i go off it. Thats reality. Trama coming is not something good to look forward to. I bash myself for every thing i f*ck up, i will do it so much i will throw up, expereince things that anxiety can make where, i losing mental function.

Sky line.

 

Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line

Posted by Phillipa on July 11, 2008, at 23:07:59

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 11, 2008, at 21:57:36

What dose did your doc prescribe and have you ever gone above that dose? But don't just stop the med as some people experience seizures if they cold turkey a benzo. Not all some and don't know how often as did it myself and just felt like on a rocking ship. Laid on the couch for two weeks. This was years ago. Phillipa

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by elanor roosevelt on July 11, 2008, at 23:37:48

In reply to Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line, posted by Phillipa on July 11, 2008, at 23:07:59

what's the maximum dose?

you can try taking smaller doses and chewing part of a tablet. the effect is immediate

i have met several pdocs that are benzo-phobic

think you should ask this pdoc what his concerns are based on

hang in there

hope it all works out

 

Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line

Posted by raisinb on July 12, 2008, at 0:00:21

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

If you can, have an open discussion with your doctor about why s/he thinks Xanax isn't working for you. Make sure the dr knows how you feel when you try to stop.

Is this a pdoc or a regular doctor? My family practice physicians wouldn't prescribe benzos no matter what. I went through horrible insomnia with my first few weeks of Wellbutrin--3x max dose of Lunesta, even didn't work--I slept two or three hours in three days--and they still wouldn't give me anything of the kind. Next time that happens I'm getting a nice, benzo-happy psychiatrist :)

 

Re: Xanax Sky Brite Line

Posted by sunnydays on July 12, 2008, at 0:14:31

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

I don't know, I'm sorry. I take Xanax nightly right now b/c pdoc said to. 1mg. I haven't gone off it because I felt she didn't like it last time when I did and she told me basically to take it until further notice. We're trying to get my sleep normal again. Try to talk to your pdoc if possible, or switch. Good luck.

sunnydays

 

Re: Xanax

Posted by Mike_Cohen_2 on July 14, 2008, at 15:40:17

In reply to Xanax, posted by Sky Brite Line on July 10, 2008, at 23:38:09

What I don't understand is why MD's are Benzophobic.

They put us on SSRI and other meds that take time to build up in your system. sometimes, tolerance develops with these drugs and increases are needed. But my biggest argument is this: Try to stop taking you Effexor for a few days and report the withdrawal symptoms to your Dr., they are far worse if not as bad as Xanax withdrawal.

All the literature suggests benzos are the firstline treatment for anxiety, so why all this other stuff. Xanax comes in XR, so if your MD is so concerned about rebound anxiety, then take the long acting. Personally, the long acting doesn't do much for me over the fast acting, but thats just me.

 

Re: Xanax Mike_Cohen_2

Posted by Phillipa on July 14, 2008, at 19:44:18

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by Mike_Cohen_2 on July 14, 2008, at 15:40:17

Oh the long acting did nothing for me either. I feel regular is better for me anyway and yes I agree benzos have far less withdrawal effects which is one reason I don't raise ad's. Love Phillipa At least for me.

 

Re: Xanax- Mike Cohen

Posted by Sky Brite Line on July 14, 2008, at 23:16:37

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by Mike_Cohen_2 on July 14, 2008, at 15:40:17

I'm on the max dose, 2mg X 3 daily. But im myself trying to not being on Xanax, and put on antipsychotic's, they impared my thinking. I spilled my story here before. Its embarrasing, but fear can cause insanity.

Nuerotic disorders, especially with phobia's sometimes doctor are forced to prescibe something to treat it. They just aviod, and try alot of SSRI's that sedating and AP's. But benzo are usally the option, barbiturates are the last option.

 

Re: growing over anxiety

Posted by Sky Brite Line on July 14, 2008, at 23:34:47

In reply to Re: Xanax, posted by Mike_Cohen_2 on July 14, 2008, at 15:40:17

Hold on....

Listen, you can learn to tolerate the danm feeling. Its a result of not knowing how to deal with life and problems, and comes out many ways. Nuerosis.

I hate anxiety, at night i've been by myself and overwhelm and hit the fan, about many things, Of course of dont show anyone....


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.