Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 836952

Shown: posts 1 to 13 of 13. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 9:25:16

My doc prescribed this yesterday because of my sleep problems and my sleep schedule is all mixed up.

Well OMG, I took my first pill last night, and in 25 min. I was completely out, couldn't even read anymore of my good book.

Well her goes the OMG part. I had the most vivid dreams in my life!!! I was walking around all these sand mountains and very colorful sand images would float through the art and go right through me. It was so cool!
Then I lived with a family who had special powers. I could through up a bucket of blocks and they would go up like they didn't have gravity and they would sparkle, it looks like sparkly confetti in the air. Makes me want to write poetry. Haha!
I never thought sleeping could be so much fun!

I read that it can be very addictive if used past 2 weeks. So I wonder why my doc prescribed it for a month supply plus a refill.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Horned One on June 28, 2008, at 9:48:15

In reply to ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 9:25:16

Don't you also take Xanax? Restoril is weaker and probably less addictive than Xanax. Cool about the lucid dreams, I get them too from Lamictal and zopiclone.

-Horny

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by dbc on June 28, 2008, at 10:24:55

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Horned One on June 28, 2008, at 9:48:15

> Don't you also take Xanax? Restoril is weaker and probably less addictive than Xanax. Cool about the lucid dreams, I get them too from Lamictal and zopiclone.
>

Hahah im lowering my dose of lamictal and the crazy dreams have returned. My dreams were so psychedelic last night.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horned One

Posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 11:17:07

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Horned One on June 28, 2008, at 9:48:15

I have a prescription for Xanax but only taken as needed, which for me maybe once a month or so. I loved the dreams!

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dbc

Posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 11:18:16

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by dbc on June 28, 2008, at 10:24:55

I have done LSD or anything like it, but do you think it is simular?

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by blueboy on June 28, 2008, at 11:52:52

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dbc, posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 11:18:16

> I have done LSD or anything like it, but do you think it is simular?

I'm guessing you meant you haven't done LSD?

I did LSD and mescaline a couple of times, back in the day (60's and early 70's). For me personally there is no particular similarity to the vivid dreams I get (especially from medication) and the experiences I had on hallucinogens.

However, people's experiences on hallucinogenic drugs very enormously.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Phillipa on June 28, 2008, at 12:22:51

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by blueboy on June 28, 2008, at 11:52:52

Wow Happyflower I get nightmares you get to have fun while asleep not fair. I dream of cleaning and get things clean and selling candles on the street. I want to dream like you!!!!!!! I'd take it for more than a month forever if it is so much fun. Heck don't have any fun during the day may as well have it at night. Lucky you. Love Phillipa

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Amigan on June 29, 2008, at 11:01:27

In reply to ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Happyflower on June 28, 2008, at 9:25:16

Interesting experience. Benzodiazepines suppose to suppress REM and dreaming.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by undopaminergic on June 30, 2008, at 0:21:28

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Horned One on June 28, 2008, at 9:48:15

> Don't you also take Xanax? Restoril is weaker and probably less addictive than Xanax.
>

Actually, temazepam (Restoril) is one of the most sought-after of all benzodiazepines amongst recreational users of this class of drugs. See the Wikipedia article.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! undopaminergic

Posted by Horned One on June 30, 2008, at 8:29:08

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by undopaminergic on June 30, 2008, at 0:21:28

I know benzos like the back of my hand. I don't need to check the Wiki article. There's nothing special about temazepam the drug, but it has gained a certain notoriety. It became popular among recreational users in the UK because it was common at one point for it to be dispensed as a green gel filled capsule (streeet name 'jellies'), the contents of which could easily be taken out and injected. As far as I'm aware it is the only benzodiazepine to have been marketed in this form. This preparation can no longer be prescribed on the NHS, and I think medcial regulatory bodies worldwide now strongly discourage doctors from prescribing it in capsule form. Neverthelss the drug is still, as you say, one of the most sought-after benzos amongst recreational users, but this is most likely due to the notoriety of the old gel-filled capsule rather than any special euphoric or addictive properties of temazepam itself. It's the capsule form that is most attractive to addicts, but temazepam (or 'temmies' as they're known round here) is still popular among addicts whatever form it comes in. If addicts knew their stuff though, they'd choose alprazolam tablets over temazepam tablets any day, because you get much more bang for your buck that way, but on the whole I find they're driven more by fashion and lore than pharmacology.

Is temazepam any more likely to be addictive in the medical setting than other benzodiazepines? I don't think so. It's about 40 times less potent than Xanax, from personal experience less euphoric, has a slightly longer half life, and is usually taken once at night rather than in repeated doses through the day. That was my point.

-Horny

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by undopaminergic on July 2, 2008, at 8:30:10

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! undopaminergic, posted by Horned One on June 30, 2008, at 8:29:08

> If addicts knew their stuff though, they'd choose alprazolam tablets over temazepam tablets any day, because you get much more bang for your buck that way, but on the whole I find they're driven more by fashion and lore than pharmacology.
>

You may be right about the significance of fashion and lore. However, not everyone who knows their stuff prefers alprazolam to temazepam.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Sigismund on July 2, 2008, at 18:55:05

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! undopaminergic, posted by Horned One on June 30, 2008, at 8:29:08

Here they have to add special stuff to the petrol so people won't sniff it, but they still do.

We can't get pseudoephedrine because it's used to make meth.

Until 1968 heroin was OTC in unit doses here.

I don't know what to make of this.

 

Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by undopaminergic on July 3, 2008, at 4:54:28

In reply to Re: ******OMG ******Restoril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, posted by Sigismund on July 2, 2008, at 18:55:05

> Here they have to add special stuff to the petrol so people won't sniff it, but they still do.
>

I've heard that there are people who will voluntarily drink methanol (wood alcohol) for no greater reward than getting drunk.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.