Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 437034

Shown: posts 4 to 28 of 38. Go back in thread:

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by Maxime on January 3, 2005, at 22:22:22

I tried Topamax twice and became severly depressed, very tearful crying all the time. My doctor insists that Topamax doesn't cause depression but I disagree. I would like others to register and post on this thread who HAVE experienced this deep depression on Topamax, or felt suicidal on it. I was just hospitalized for 9 days because of it.
Note that while I do have a history of depression, I have not had a major depressive episode in over one year. The first time I tried Topamax, I was only on it for one week and it effected me. This last time (when I wound up in the hospital), I stayed on for 3 1/2 weeks, thinking I needed to adjust to it. Maybe there are people who have a sensitivity to it? Also, please do a Google search: there is some connection between this drug and vision problems.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? MariaB

Posted by gardenergirl on June 4, 2006, at 17:57:30

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

I tried it for about six to eight weeks as an adjunct to Nardil and found I was more depressed on it. Once I stopped it, I returned to my baseline fairly quickly. (Thanks to Daisy for pointing out the connection back then.) :)

If you look at the list of potential adverse reactions for Topomax, depression is listed. Your doc should be able to read that for himself/herself. I'm sorry that you were not validated.

gg

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? MariaB

Posted by cache-monkey on June 8, 2006, at 15:17:40

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

I'm sorry to hear about your experience on Topamax; your pdoc doesn't sound particularly supportive in that regard. According to a doctor I trust (but who knows, what he's basing this on), in his clinical experience Topamax is the most likely of the anticonvulsants to induce depression. Although he doesn't have much experience with Keppra, which word on the street says is the worst.

It seems that most of the mood stabilizers are a mixed bag; depression for some, zombiness for others, and just stability for still others. I hate the idiosyncraticness of this, but I guess that's just the process.

Good luck in your trials,
cache-monkey

> I tried Topamax twice and became severly depressed, very tearful crying all the time. My doctor insists that Topamax doesn't cause depression but I disagree. I would like others to register and post on this thread who HAVE experienced this deep depression on Topamax, or felt suicidal on it. I was just hospitalized for 9 days because of it.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by Creeker5 on January 23, 2007, at 21:57:05

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

I am glad I came across this in google. My wife has dealt with depression her entire life but for the most part has had it under control for the past several years. She was recently put on Topamax by her neurologist. Her depression has gotten so bad that I believe she is Suicidal. This is the worst her depresion has ever gotten. Usually when she is going through a time of depresion in her life she can kind of figure out why. This time there is no rhym or reason to her depresion and she just cries all the time. I am sure this has to do with Topamax. I asked the neurologist about it. He told me it is a side effect but he never herd of anyone having a problem and told me I was over reacting. I am happy to find other people with the same reaction. I will post to let you know how she is doing after she gets off Topamax. Please if you have had a similar problem with topamax Please keep this thread going. It may help others.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by MariaB on January 24, 2007, at 12:51:34

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by Creeker5 on January 23, 2007, at 21:57:05

Creeker, thanks for your post. I (MariaB) was the one who posted no 6/4/06 about going into a deep depression when on Topamax. I am so glad I got off of it. Right now I'm on Effexor and Lamictal(mood stabilizer). I think the Lamictal is really helping me. I take 100mg dose twice a day.
Everybody listens to doctors, believing they're always right but sometimes they are wrong. Who would know better of side effects than patients on the particular drug? And maybe some of the drugs approved by the FDA and on the market aren't adequately tested.
Please let us know how your wife is doing, and also be careful about getting off any drug without tapering off of it. I'm not sure if you can just quit Topamax.
Best Wishes to you and your wife.
Maria B.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by sash07 on January 25, 2007, at 13:15:51

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on January 24, 2007, at 12:51:34

I was so severly depressed from Topamax & I feel like I lost a year of my life. As soon as I reduced my dosage from 75mgs(very slowly)to 25mg I felt like a new person. I couldnt focus,was agitated,lost my ability to care about anything, think straight,read..(because I couldnt sit still long enough). When I began to get stomach pains I took action. Until then I was to brain dead..seriously!!
I believe this drug has the capabilities of severe long term affects on our Gallblader,Liver and mental function. Drs arent G-ds.. Listen to your body first. If you are depressed and feel terrible.. please speak up for yourself NOW!Dont wait like I did.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by MariaB on January 25, 2007, at 14:40:11

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by sash07 on January 25, 2007, at 13:15:51

I appreciate receiving all these comments about Topamax. It saddens me to think there may be people out there suffering needlessly. And the company that makes this drug made a ton of profit (see:http://www.bloomberg.com and look up "topamax".The news article is dated 1/23/07. They made billions of dollars!) Also, I've read that Topamax can cause kidney stones.
As patients we need to advocate for ourselves and learn as much as we can about a drug before going on it. And if you are on a drug and notice any negative change in yourself let your doctor know, and if he invalidates you, get another opinion.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by rina on January 27, 2007, at 19:54:49

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

> I tried Topamax twice and became severly depressed, very tearful crying all the time. My doctor insists that Topamax doesn't cause depression but I disagree. I would like others to register and post on this thread who HAVE experienced this deep depression on Topamax, or felt suicidal on it. I was just hospitalized for 9 days because of it.
> Note that while I do have a history of depression, I have not had a major depressive episode in over one year. The first time I tried Topamax, I was only on it for one week and it effected me. This last time (when I wound up in the hospital), I stayed on for 3 1/2 weeks, thinking I needed to adjust to it. Maybe there are people who have a sensitivity to it? Also, please do a Google search: there is some connection between this drug and vision problems.
>

Okay, so much for the medicine I wanted to ask my doctor about trying..lol My question is, since there have been people that have had a bad reaction to topamax. Are there any medicines for bipolar that doesn't cause weight gain. I'm a flight attendant and I need to be able to fit my dress...lol

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by elanor roosevelt on January 28, 2007, at 10:45:34

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by rina on January 27, 2007, at 19:54:49

topomax twisted me in a bad bad way

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by rachelled on April 11, 2007, at 12:14:03

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on January 24, 2007, at 12:51:34

I am on the lowest dose of Topamax currently; 25mil /day for migraines. I don't have a history of depression but I've been nothing but a mess since I've been on it... also, my father is clinically depressed. My doctor seems more inclined to think my contraceptives are at fault, but they've never been a problem emotionally. I'm very tearful, basically bursting into tears over very little (or more frighteningly, no) triggers... I feel downhearted or hopeless most of the time.

We're changing my contraceptive brands, but would getting off this Topamax be a good idea as well? It's unfortunate because it's the only thing that's been effective for migranes, but I can only get so specific an idea from google, and this message board is the best thing I've found so far.. the last month of my life has been hell, and I want it to stop before it goes too far.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by creeker5 on April 11, 2007, at 12:50:07

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by rachelled on April 11, 2007, at 12:14:03

> I am on the lowest dose of Topamax currently; 25mil /day for migraines. I don't have a history of depression but I've been nothing but a mess since I've been on it... also, my father is clinically depressed. My doctor seems more inclined to think my contraceptives are at fault, but they've never been a problem emotionally. I'm very tearful, basically bursting into tears over very little (or more frighteningly, no) triggers... I feel downhearted or hopeless most of the time.
>
> We're changing my contraceptive brands, but would getting off this Topamax be a good idea as well? It's unfortunate because it's the only thing that's been effective for migranes, but I can only get so specific an idea from google, and this message board is the best thing I've found so far.. the last month of my life has been hell, and I want it to stop before it goes too far.

I posted about my wife being depressed on Topamax a couple months ago. She was in the same situation. Crying all the time for no reason. Being mad and suicidal and not knowing why she was feeling this way. At other times in here life when she was dealing with depression there was a reason. We could pin point why she was depressed or what was causing it. This last time it was different there was no reason. After posting the first time on this site I took my wife back to the neurologists who had prescribed her Topmax for her migraines. He was very adamant about Topamax not being the cause and made us feel crazy for thinking it. He keep showing us the study that showed only 1% of people on Topamax have depression as a side effect. Even though I knew Topamax was the cause I let him convince me to keep her on Topamax. After another few weeks of Hell I went back and demanded he take her off Topamax. This Time he did and put her on Depakote. She has been on Depakote for 3+ weeks. Within a couple days of coming off Topamax she was no longer dealing with the same depression she was on Topamax. The suicidal thoughts completly went away. The underlying depression still remains that she had before but it is a 100% improvement being off Topamax. I know are Dr said that the topamax would be out of her system within a couple days and that she could stop cold turkey. Going off Topamax is the best thing she ever did. Also the Depakote is working just as good as the Topamax did for her migrains.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by rachelled on April 11, 2007, at 13:07:00

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by creeker5 on April 11, 2007, at 12:50:07

>
> I posted about my wife being depressed on Topamax a couple months ago. She was in the same situation. Crying all the time for no reason. Being mad and suicidal and not knowing why she was feeling this way. At other times in here life when she was dealing with depression there was a reason. We could pin point why she was depressed or what was causing it. This last time it was different there was no reason. After posting the first time on this site I took my wife back to the neurologists who had prescribed her Topmax for her migraines. He was very adamant about Topamax not being the cause and made us feel crazy for thinking it. He keep showing us the study that showed only 1% of people on Topamax have depression as a side effect. Even though I knew Topamax was the cause I let him convince me to keep her on Topamax. After another few weeks of Hell I went back and demanded he take her off Topamax. This Time he did and put her on Depakote. She has been on Depakote for 3+ weeks. Within a couple days of coming off Topamax she was no longer dealing with the same depression she was on Topamax. The suicidal thoughts completly went away. The underlying depression still remains that she had before but it is a 100% improvement being off Topamax. I know are Dr said that the topamax would be out of her system within a couple days and that she could stop cold turkey. Going off Topamax is the best thing she ever did. Also the Depakote is working just as good as the Topamax did for her migrains.


Thank you.. This is reassuring to hear, especially in the light of others being affected as well. Does it seem likely that my symptoms would be caused by such a low dose, though?

I don't know much about Depakote, but I gather that it is also for epilepsy?

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by creeker5 on April 11, 2007, at 13:35:51

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by rachelled on April 11, 2007, at 13:07:00

> >
> > I posted about my wife being depressed on Topamax a couple months ago. She was in the same situation. Crying all the time for no reason. Being mad and suicidal and not knowing why she was feeling this way. At other times in here life when she was dealing with depression there was a reason. We could pin point why she was depressed or what was causing it. This last time it was different there was no reason. After posting the first time on this site I took my wife back to the neurologists who had prescribed her Topmax for her migraines. He was very adamant about Topamax not being the cause and made us feel crazy for thinking it. He keep showing us the study that showed only 1% of people on Topamax have depression as a side effect. Even though I knew Topamax was the cause I let him convince me to keep her on Topamax. After another few weeks of Hell I went back and demanded he take her off Topamax. This Time he did and put her on Depakote. She has been on Depakote for 3+ weeks. Within a couple days of coming off Topamax she was no longer dealing with the same depression she was on Topamax. The suicidal thoughts completly went away. The underlying depression still remains that she had before but it is a 100% improvement being off Topamax. I know are Dr said that the topamax would be out of her system within a couple days and that she could stop cold turkey. Going off Topamax is the best thing she ever did. Also the Depakote is working just as good as the Topamax did for her migrains.
>
>
> Thank you.. This is reassuring to hear, especially in the light of others being affected as well. Does it seem likely that my symptoms would be caused by such a low dose, though?
>
> I don't know much about Depakote, but I gather that it is also for epilepsy?

My wife was on 50mg then went down to 25mg When she went from 50 to 25 we noticed an improvement for a couple days but it came right back. It wasn't until she was totally off That we noticed a huge difference. If I where you I would listen to what your body is telling you. You know better than any Doctor. My wife had the same concerns this was the first time in her life that she had no migraines but in the end migraines are better than depression. She is on a low dose of Depakote now and that seems to be controlling her migraines now to where she only has a few a month instead of every day.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by sash07 on April 11, 2007, at 19:23:22

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by creeker5 on April 11, 2007, at 13:35:51

I had the same experience from 75mgs to 25mgs.It seems eventually the depression creeps back up on you.I personally need to get off it completely..it causes osteoporosis & gave me stomach pains.
Please know a side affect of depakote is hair loss... my Dr never told me nor did I find out until it was to late. OMG! What a problem! Be careful,take Biotin and B Complex Vitamins if you decide to continue with it. Isnt this fun?
Good Luck (:
Sasha

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by greybantha on June 17, 2007, at 7:22:48

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by sash07 on April 11, 2007, at 19:23:22

I have never been on medication for anything prior to 9/06 when I saw a neurologist about severe migraines 3-4 times a week. He put me on the topamax 25 to start and eventually got me up to 50. I have to say that it got rid of my headaches and gave back some of my life that I was missing. In April of 07 we were going on vacation and so I cut my dose down from 50 to 25 everything was ok, but I missed two doses while on vacation.

The week I got back my life fell apart. I started having panic attacks and was weepy and depressed. At first the doctor said it wasn't the med and I should increase back to 50 so I did and felt better for one week, but then it started all over again and I finally went to my regular physician who did a battery of tests to finally get diagnosed with anxiety disorder secondary to the Topamax. She said it has been found to cause depression and anxiety and apparently I am very sensitive to the changes so I had to come off in half doses. I'm taking 12.5 in the am and pm and am about to cut out the pm dose tonight. I had to start taking Lexapro for the anxiety and the depression and Clonopin at night to sleep. I have missed two weeks of work and both of my daughter's birthday's are coming up soon. I feel like I'm getting back on track, but withdrawing from the Topamax while introducng the Lexapro has not been easy.
I would suggest that anyone thinking about using the topamax for migraines look at every other option first and really look into the side effects of this medecine not only while you are on it but while you are coming off as well. It hasn't been easy and when I'm done with all of this, it's organic foods and yoga for me!

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by tgo on June 21, 2007, at 8:51:48

In reply to can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by Holli-Anne on January 2, 2005, at 22:25:26

Topamax can. I was on it alone and I believe it's an antimanic. It made me cry all the time and get very depressed. Someone like me would need to take it with an antidepressant.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by Dmarie on July 12, 2007, at 21:45:28

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by greybantha on June 17, 2007, at 7:22:48

Yes, Topamax can cause Depression. I have been on it since 2004 for Classic Migraines and it has been wonderful, however lately I've noticed a BIG difference with depression for no reason at all. I have been on 50mg.daily, but have cut back to 25mg. and am going to ween myself off of this. I have also been diagnosed with a Pericardial Effusion. I am a healthy person and all tests have come back negative for any reason for this effusion. The only med I take is Topamax. My neurologist doesn't believe this could be the cause, but I've begun to do some reasearch and although I have not found documented proof, I have found a few things that could point in the direction of this med as the possible cause. If anyone has any info, please let me know. I was diagnosed 3years ago and the fluid is increasing with no valid reason as to th cause. Stay off the med...it's been great for my migraines since I cannot tolerate any other meds, but I don't think it's worth it in the long run.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? MariaB

Posted by sabas on September 27, 2007, at 13:49:58

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by MariaB on June 4, 2006, at 9:37:17

Warning on Topamax. My daughter,27,diagnosed as bipolar was in remission phase and was doing fine. Due to some hair loss she was given Topamax instead of Depakine. The dose was 25 mg daily and incresed to 50 mg after a week. After two weeks she became depressive. After next two weeks she visited her doctor but topamax was not withdrawn- an antidepressant moclobemide was added. 10 days later she comitted suicide

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by KayeBaby on September 27, 2007, at 17:09:48

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? MariaB, posted by sabas on September 27, 2007, at 13:49:58

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine how you must be suffering.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Kayd

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by Hayley on November 6, 2007, at 15:09:06

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by KayeBaby on September 27, 2007, at 17:09:48

I have been on 200 mg. of Topamax for about one year. I started at a low dose and slowly increased until I got to 200 mg. I needed this strength to prevent my migraines. Then I started feeling extremely hopeless about my life. I would cry all the time and had thoughts of suicide. I was very hard on myself and also hostile to other people at times without realizing it. My neurologist did not think it was the topamax but just my life getting the best of me. I am now weaning myself off the medicine and am already feeling much better. Sadly, I suffer from migraines and they are coming back. And the weight that I lost while on the medicine is also coming back. But the side effects are so hard to handle, I think I would rather deal with the migraines than the depression and as well as the inability to retrieve the correct word. I felt like I had Alzheimer's at a young age.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by joaquin on November 6, 2007, at 16:56:08

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by creeker5 on April 11, 2007, at 13:35:51

Yes it can.

I can tell you that from my personal experience and if you do a little looking around on the web, you'll find it's quite a common side effect in fact.

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? sabas

Posted by Ron Hill on November 6, 2007, at 19:42:32

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression? MariaB, posted by sabas on September 27, 2007, at 13:49:58

Sabas,

I am so very very sorry. I send out my thoughts and prayers to you.

Please take care of yourself. Perhaps a support group?

I can't begin to express my sorrow for your loss. My tears are for you.

-- Ron

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by greybantha on November 7, 2007, at 6:23:19

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by Hayley on November 6, 2007, at 15:09:06

Haley,
I just wanted you to know that I am now four months off of the medicine and I still have some generalized anxiety, it is far better than the hell i went through on that pill. You have no idea how much long term pain you are saving yourself by getting off of topamax now. Good luck through the weaning process. It's not easy but it is worth getting your life back. I have a feeling that we will be hearing a lot of bad things about this pill in the future.
Best Wishes!

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by Hayley on November 7, 2007, at 10:53:29

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by greybantha on November 7, 2007, at 6:23:19

Sadly, besides the depression, just the overall feeling of being stupid or in a fog was too much for me. I had a difficult time getting through my day at work, staying on task. And when I was speaking, I would often lose track of what I was saying or had trouble finding the word that I was looking for. I hate to appear unintelligent. It saddens me that this drug is being hyped as the new wonder drug that can be used for so many different problems. Anna Nicole Smith was reported to have been taking this medication for weight loss. I wonder if topamax had any cause in her death?

 

Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?

Posted by greybantha on November 7, 2007, at 17:47:52

In reply to Re: can Topamax CAUSE depression?, posted by Hayley on November 7, 2007, at 10:53:29

I was wondering if anyone had anything they have taken for migraines that has worked. Now I am only on Anaprox which dulls the ache but does not deal with the pressure and sometimes the headache comes back. Any suggestions?


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.