Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 373220

Shown: posts 1 to 25 of 25. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Mirapex?

Posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 14:35:29

I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?


 

Re: Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by Emme on August 2, 2004, at 15:46:06

In reply to Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 14:35:29

> I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?

Trying it now. Stay tuned.

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 16:39:56

In reply to Re: Mirapex? KaraS, posted by Emme on August 2, 2004, at 15:46:06

> > I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?
>
> Trying it now. Stay tuned.
>

Emme,
Any problems with side effects so far?
K

 

Re: Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by King Vultan on August 2, 2004, at 16:57:41

In reply to Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 14:35:29

> I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?
>
>
>

I've considered it, but a dopamine agonist would probably be a last resort for me, even though I am convinced my fundamental problem is dopaminergic. The problem with this class of drugs is that they are more hit and miss than even the SSRIs, and somnolence and nausea are such common side effects that it tends to make them relatively intolerable. Some people are not affected as much, though, and for them, this can be a viable AD treatment. If you try Mirapex and it shows promise but is not quite right for some reason, there are at least a couple of others you might want to try, namely, bromocriptine and Dostinex (last time I looked, Dostinex was extremely expensive, however). I do think Mirapex is probably the one to try first. Perhaps I will try talking my doctor into it if Parnate does not work out for me; although, I would probably ask to try selegiline first.


Todd

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 17:40:30

In reply to Re: Mirapex? KaraS, posted by King Vultan on August 2, 2004, at 16:57:41

> > I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?
> >
> >
> >
>
> I've considered it, but a dopamine agonist would probably be a last resort for me, even though I am convinced my fundamental problem is dopaminergic. The problem with this class of drugs is that they are more hit and miss than even the SSRIs, and somnolence and nausea are such common side effects that it tends to make them relatively intolerable. Some people are not affected as much, though, and for them, this can be a viable AD treatment. If you try Mirapex and it shows promise but is not quite right for some reason, there are at least a couple of others you might want to try, namely, bromocriptine and Dostinex (last time I looked, Dostinex was extremely expensive, however). I do think Mirapex is probably the one to try first. Perhaps I will try talking my doctor into it if Parnate does not work out for me; although, I would probably ask to try selegiline first.
>
>
> Todd


Todd,
I know that somnolence can be a side effect of Mirapex but I don't understand why if it's dopaminergic. How can it give people a lot of motivation if they're feeling exhausted... or is somnolence only a factor when the drug doesn't work well?

I also have selegiline high on my list of things to try. In fact I have some at home. I've only tried 5 mg. a day for a couple of days at this point. It was slightly stimulating but I didn't feel any more motivated. I'm planning on trying a higher dose and/or combining it with DLPA. I read, though, that since it's metabolites are amphetamines that it can show up as a positive on drug tests and I'm looking for work right now. So I put the selegiline aside for a while. Am I correct on this? If so, do you think that something like Mirapex could produce that same result on a blood test?

I think I've read in previous posts that you are currently on Nardil but would like to make that switch to Parnate. Have you made the switch yet? If so, how's that going so far?

Kara

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by Mike634 on August 2, 2004, at 17:51:52

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 17:40:30

Hi - I went through a 5-6 week trial of mirapex a few months ago for BP depression. Didnt feel much of an effect from it at first, then might have showed a bit of promise- and then.....the disphoric mania started up again- mirapex the likely culprit. I do remember feeling more tired on it at the begining. I am sure it can be a usefull drug- just wasnt too helpfull for me. Hope that helps-

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 18:13:50

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by Mike634 on August 2, 2004, at 17:51:52

> Hi - I went through a 5-6 week trial of mirapex a few months ago for BP depression. Didnt feel much of an effect from it at first, then might have showed a bit of promise- and then.....the disphoric mania started up again- mirapex the likely culprit. I do remember feeling more tired on it at the begining. I am sure it can be a usefull drug- just wasnt too helpfull for me. Hope that helps-


Thanks. I guess as Todd said, it's a very hit or miss drug. It's all such a crap shoot...

 

Re: Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by jerrympls on August 2, 2004, at 21:08:38

In reply to Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 14:35:29

> I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?
>
>
>

I *may* be starting it this week...I'll keep you posted.

Jerry

 

Re: Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by Emme on August 2, 2004, at 23:02:17

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 16:39:56

> > > I've been reading some old posts by Ame Sans Vie about Mirapex and it seemed to have had an amazing effect on him (as well as the person who recommended it to him). The motivation and energy he describes are so encouraging. Has anyone here tried this or planning on trying it?
> >
> > Trying it now. Stay tuned.
> >
>
> Emme,
> Any problems with side effects so far?
> K

It's probably too soon to really tell how my body's going to adjust. But, so far it seems to be just wearing me out. I think it's revving my system and instead of somnolence I have exhaustion and a tired/wired feeling at the end of the day. On the positive side, I had a few days of feeling pretty energetic and optimistic and sociable. I'll see how the next few weeks go before making up my mind what I think.


 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 6:51:54

In reply to Re: Mirapex? KaraS, posted by Emme on August 2, 2004, at 23:02:17

>I have exhaustion and a tired/wired feeling at the end of the day. On the positive side, I had a few days of feeling pretty energetic and optimistic and sociable. I'll see how the next few weeks go before making up my mind what I think.

me too!
Its pretty much a downer at the end of the day, at the moment....
No nausea at all BTW, for me

Roland

 

Re: Mirapex? rod

Posted by Emme on August 3, 2004, at 7:21:16

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 6:51:54

> >I have exhaustion and a tired/wired feeling at the end of the day. On the positive side, I had a few days of feeling pretty energetic and optimistic and sociable. I'll see how the next few weeks go before making up my mind what I think.
>
> me too!
> Its pretty much a downer at the end of the day, at the moment....
> No nausea at all BTW, for me
>
> Roland


So it was very stimulating for you too? I hate that worn down exhaustion that I get from drugs that are like that. How long have you been taking it? I am wondering if this effect wears off.
Do you feel like your face was hot all the time? My temperature was a little elevated at night while on it. I caved and absolutely have to take a few days' break from it.

 

Re: Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by King Vultan on August 3, 2004, at 7:48:56

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 2, 2004, at 17:40:30

>
> Todd,
> I know that somnolence can be a side effect of Mirapex but I don't understand why if it's dopaminergic. How can it give people a lot of motivation if they're feeling exhausted... or is somnolence only a factor when the drug doesn't work well?
>
> I also have selegiline high on my list of things to try. In fact I have some at home. I've only tried 5 mg. a day for a couple of days at this point. It was slightly stimulating but I didn't feel any more motivated. I'm planning on trying a higher dose and/or combining it with DLPA. I read, though, that since it's metabolites are amphetamines that it can show up as a positive on drug tests and I'm looking for work right now. So I put the selegiline aside for a while. Am I correct on this? If so, do you think that something like Mirapex could produce that same result on a blood test?
>
> I think I've read in previous posts that you are currently on Nardil but would like to make that switch to Parnate. Have you made the switch yet? If so, how's that going so far?
>
> Kara


I've looked into the issue of dopamine agonists and dopamine receptors and do not really understand this somnolence thing. However, I think it's worth pointing out that most of the common drugs that work on dopamine also work on norepinephrine. Think of Wellbutrin, the stimulants, and the MAOIs. Maybe it's the accompanying norepinephrine activity that is actually providing a large part of the energy and activation.

As for selegiline, I have an article written by a group of pdocs who prescribe MAOIs (this is one of the ones I am always posting links to) in which they say the dosage needs to eventually get to 45 mg/day for a fair trial to have occurred. You are correct in your assumption that amphetamines are the results of selegiline metabolism; my book "Psychotropic Drugs" says that "It is metabolized to three active compounds, including amphetamine and methamphetamine, which may account for its therapeutic action." There is absolutely no chance a dopamine agonist like Mirapex could produce the same result, as it has a completely different kind of structure and works on a different principle (it simulates dopamine).

I am in the middle of tapering off the Nardil. I was at 7 x 15 mg/day and have been dropping one pill every three days, which seems to be working fine. Currently, I'm on the second day of 3 x 15 and am starting to feel the difference. It's taking more psychological effort to keep my spirits up, but there are some positives, such as my libido returning to at least a small extent. I also have had some dreams the last couple of nights, which I hadn't had in over four months. Withdrawal symptoms have not been too bad, mainly some tinnitus and a bit of vertigo. My last dose of 1 x 15 is scheduled for 8/10, and my first 1 x 10 of Parnate is scheduled for 8/24 after a two week washout.

Todd

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by KaraS on August 3, 2004, at 13:16:19

In reply to Re: Mirapex? KaraS, posted by King Vultan on August 3, 2004, at 7:48:56

> >
> > Todd,
> > I know that somnolence can be a side effect of Mirapex but I don't understand why if it's dopaminergic. How can it give people a lot of motivation if they're feeling exhausted... or is somnolence only a factor when the drug doesn't work well?
> >
> > I also have selegiline high on my list of things to try. In fact I have some at home. I've only tried 5 mg. a day for a couple of days at this point. It was slightly stimulating but I didn't feel any more motivated. I'm planning on trying a higher dose and/or combining it with DLPA. I read, though, that since it's metabolites are amphetamines that it can show up as a positive on drug tests and I'm looking for work right now. So I put the selegiline aside for a while. Am I correct on this? If so, do you think that something like Mirapex could produce that same result on a blood test?
> >
> > I think I've read in previous posts that you are currently on Nardil but would like to make that switch to Parnate. Have you made the switch yet? If so, how's that going so far?
> >
> > Kara
>
>
> I've looked into the issue of dopamine agonists and dopamine receptors and do not really understand this somnolence thing. However, I think it's worth pointing out that most of the common drugs that work on dopamine also work on norepinephrine. Think of Wellbutrin, the stimulants, and the MAOIs. Maybe it's the accompanying norepinephrine activity that is actually providing a large part of the energy and activation.
>
> As for selegiline, I have an article written by a group of pdocs who prescribe MAOIs (this is one of the ones I am always posting links to) in which they say the dosage needs to eventually get to 45 mg/day for a fair trial to have occurred. You are correct in your assumption that amphetamines are the results of selegiline metabolism; my book "Psychotropic Drugs" says that "It is metabolized to three active compounds, including amphetamine and methamphetamine, which may account for its therapeutic action." There is absolutely no chance a dopamine agonist like Mirapex could produce the same result, as it has a completely different kind of structure and works on a different principle (it simulates dopamine).
>
> I am in the middle of tapering off the Nardil. I was at 7 x 15 mg/day and have been dropping one pill every three days, which seems to be working fine. Currently, I'm on the second day of 3 x 15 and am starting to feel the difference. It's taking more psychological effort to keep my spirits up, but there are some positives, such as my libido returning to at least a small extent. I also have had some dreams the last couple of nights, which I hadn't had in over four months. Withdrawal symptoms have not been too bad, mainly some tinnitus and a bit of vertigo. My last dose of 1 x 15 is scheduled for 8/10, and my first 1 x 10 of Parnate is scheduled for 8/24 after a two week washout.
>
> Todd


Thanks, Todd. Very helpful. Upon reading your statement above:

"It is metabolized to three active compounds, including amphetamine and methamphetamine, which may account for its therapeutic action."

I vaguely recalled reading another post here that very convincingly argued against selegiline's metabolites being responsible for its therapeutic action. Maybe that poster will read this and respond again.

Good luck with the transition to Parnate. Maybe a couple of tough weeks ahead but after that it will probably be well worth it! (Keep us posted of course.)

Kara

 

Re: Mirapex? Emme

Posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 14:02:46

In reply to Re: Mirapex? rod, posted by Emme on August 3, 2004, at 7:21:16

> > >I have exhaustion and a tired/wired feeling at the end of the day. On the positive side, I had a few days of feeling pretty energetic and optimistic and sociable. I'll see how the next few weeks go before making up my mind what I think.
> >
> > me too!
> > Its pretty much a downer at the end of the day, at the moment....
> > No nausea at all BTW, for me
> >
> > Roland
>
>
> So it was very stimulating for you too?

No, it wasn't/isn't *very* stimulating. It produces very mild and pleasant stimulation. But it has an overall calming and anti-anxiety effect for me too. And emotions are more intense etc. women look much prettier..
When I take all my drugs including mirapex in the morning plus 2 coffees I feel almost normal (which is very very great).

>I hate that worn down exhaustion that I get from drugs that are like that. How long have you been taking it? I am wondering if this effect wears off.
> Do you feel like your face was hot all the time? My temperature was a little elevated at night while on it.

Hmm, if I think about this, I would say it actually makes me feel more cool, and more fresh. I also sweat much less, which is great, because I normally sweat a lot...


>I caved and absolutely have to take a few days' break from it.
>
>


It take it for about 3 weeks. I currently take 0,65mg a day (spread into 3 doses). This drug is really great and provides su much benefits, I will keep taking it and make my way up to approx. 1mg and see whats happening on the long term run(speaking about weeks and months)

Roland

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by LastDyingWish on August 3, 2004, at 16:40:37

In reply to Re: Mirapex? Emme, posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 14:02:46

No, it wasn't/isn't *very* stimulating. It produces very mild and pleasant stimulation. But it has an overall calming and anti-anxiety effect for me too. And emotions are more intense etc. women look much prettier..

Is this reguarding Mirapex or selegiline?
If mirapex, what did you have it prescribed for?
I think you also mentioned that you get a cool and refreshed sensation. Interesting, because I too sweat alot, and I never feel refreshed.

 

Re: Mirapex? LastDyingWish

Posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 16:54:12

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by LastDyingWish on August 3, 2004, at 16:40:37

>> No, it wasn't/isn't *very* stimulating. It produces very mild and pleasant stimulation. But it has an overall calming and anti-anxiety effect for me too. And emotions are more intense etc. women look much prettier..
>
> Is this reguarding Mirapex or selegiline?
> If mirapex, what did you have it prescribed for?
> I think you also mentioned that you get a cool and refreshed sensation. Interesting, because I too sweat alot, and I never feel refreshed.
>

Yes, its about Mirapex. I also tried Selegliline , but this just produces unpleasant jittery stimulation.

I got Mirapex prescribed as an augmentor of antidepressive treatment.

Roland

 

Re: Mirapex?

Posted by LastDyingWish on August 3, 2004, at 20:40:11

In reply to Re: Mirapex? LastDyingWish, posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 16:54:12

To all Mirapexers, How does this drug affect sleep ? Any insomnia ? If not, do you get a good nights sleep ? Alot of people are saying that they feel worn out at the end of the day, so Iam wondering if this causes a deeper sleep. Replies appreciated
JS

 

Re: Mirapex? LastDyingWish

Posted by jerrympls on August 3, 2004, at 22:20:11

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by LastDyingWish on August 3, 2004, at 20:40:11

> To all Mirapexers, How does this drug affect sleep ? Any insomnia ? If not, do you get a good nights sleep ? Alot of people are saying that they feel worn out at the end of the day, so Iam wondering if this causes a deeper sleep. Replies appreciated
> JS

My doc is going to start me on Mirapex soon - I hope for the best. He wants me to sign a "contract" that says it isn't approved for this use by the FDA, etc etc - which I'll totally agree too - they just want to protect themselves. And he pointed out that one of the side effects is having random sleep fits - but they don't know if that's due to a higher dosages (which an older Parkinson's patient would be taking).

I'll keep you all posted.

Jerry

 

Re: Mirapex? [Yes, Serious Insomnia!!]

Posted by HHH on August 12, 2004, at 14:04:43

In reply to Re: Mirapex? LastDyingWish, posted by jerrympls on August 3, 2004, at 22:20:11

Four years ago, I took Mirapex (pramipexole) for a still-undiagnosed off-label condition.

Although I hadn't previously had a problem sleeping, within a few days, I had severe insomnia (light dozing perhaps 90 min. - 3 hours per night), so we discontinued the Mirapex after just 10 days.

Unfortunately, although I was soon virtually incoherent with sleep deprivation, the insomnia continued unabated for 6 months--and it was another 6 months after that before my sleep returned to something resembling normalcy.

Worse than that, sometime around the time I took and discontinued Mirapex, I started to experience some sort of anergic/motivational problem (quite the opposite of my lifelong personality!) which has crippled me ever since. Given the timing, it seems fairly likely that something in my Mirapex experience was the cause.

I'm sure that many people get good results from Mirapex (it's too bad treatment of neuro-psych disorders is so hit-or-miss), but as with most psychoactive meds, the side effects can be simply awful!

---HHH

--------------------------

> > To all Mirapexers, How does this drug affect sleep ? Any insomnia ? If not, do you get a good nights sleep ? Alot of people are saying that they feel worn out at the end of the day, so Iam wondering if this causes a deeper sleep. Replies appreciated
> > JS
>
>
>
> My doc is going to start me on Mirapex soon - I hope for the best. He wants me to sign a "contract" that says it isn't approved for this use by the FDA, etc etc - which I'll totally agree too - they just want to protect themselves. And he pointed out that one of the side effects is having random sleep fits - but they don't know if that's due to a higher dosages (which an older Parkinson's patient would be taking).
>
> I'll keep you all posted.
>
> Jerry

 

Mirapex? KaraS

Posted by paulk on August 27, 2004, at 23:43:28

In reply to Re: Mirapex?, posted by KaraS on August 3, 2004, at 13:16:19


>
> Thanks, Todd. Very helpful. Upon reading your statement above:
>
> "It is metabolized to three active compounds, including amphetamine and methamphetamine, which may account for its therapeutic action."
>
> I vaguely recalled reading another post here that very convincingly argued against selegiline's metabolites being responsible for its therapeutic action. Maybe that poster will read this and respond again.

If you dig into it, there is so little amphetamine and methamphetamine produced that you probably wouldn't notice unless you are on a very high dosage.

 

Re: Mirapex? paulk

Posted by KaraS on August 28, 2004, at 0:30:05

In reply to Mirapex? KaraS, posted by paulk on August 27, 2004, at 23:43:28

>
> >
> > Thanks, Todd. Very helpful. Upon reading your statement above:
> >
> > "It is metabolized to three active compounds, including amphetamine and methamphetamine, which may account for its therapeutic action."
> >

> > I vaguely recalled reading another post here that very convincingly argued against selegiline's metabolites being responsible for its therapeutic action. Maybe that poster will read this and respond again.
>
>
>
> If you dig into it, there is so little amphetamine and methamphetamine produced that you probably wouldn't notice unless you are on a very high dosage.
>

Good to know. But still there's enough to be detected by a drug test.

 

Mirapex?

Posted by paulk on August 28, 2004, at 11:27:33

In reply to Re: Mirapex? paulk, posted by KaraS on August 28, 2004, at 0:30:05


> >
> > If you dig into it, there is so little amphetamine and methamphetamine produced that you probably wouldn't notice unless you are on a very high dosage.
> >
>
> Good to know. But still there's enough to be detected by a drug test.
>

All is legal if by a doctors perscription - if you get fired over it, you could sue and win big time.

 

Mirapex/dopamine for ADHD, depression, anxiety?

Posted by pablo1 on August 31, 2004, at 23:22:17

In reply to Re: Mirapex? Emme, posted by rod on August 3, 2004, at 14:02:46

I've been taking amisulpride & Survector for dopamine as treatment for ADD, depression & according to my doc "repressed anxiety" primarily though I'd say it's more ADD. The stimulants didn't seem to do any magic on me, wellbutrin, effexor all did stuff for depression but the amisulpride is finally something that works & feels good instead of bad. I had insomnia with all of the above meds except stimulants and have slept more peacefully on this though the hours are not reliably long. It is the pleasure action of the dopamine. I do feel more like when I was a kid before all my neurotransmitters got burned out by life. It is literally sweet: I taste a sweetness in my mouth.

I would say it's more mellow than stimulating but yes it's certainly motivating. The motivation comes from being able to feel pleasure in activities. It feels like I'm cheating to enjoy things like this but I guess that's more what healthy people feel and how they manage to keep rolling thru life. I always craved that feeling of satisfaction (without much luck) and it was always in very short supply. On these meds it is a pretty much constant supply, allowing me to do things like learn to play guitar passionately, clean the car, etc. I probably will gain weight if I'm not careful. Coffee tastes so good.

It was only a few weeks & I ran out a couple days ago (some lasting effect still working).

The only side effect is an odd feeling of pressure on my heart but I checked my blood pressure & it's fine. I've grown accustomed though it was a bit spooky at first.

> > > >I have exhaustion and a tired/wired feeling at the end of the day. On the positive side, I had a few days of feeling pretty energetic and optimistic and sociable. I'll see how the next few weeks go before making up my mind what I think.
> > >
> > > me too!
> > > Its pretty much a downer at the end of the day, at the moment....
> > > No nausea at all BTW, for me
> > >
> > > Roland
> >
> >
> > So it was very stimulating for you too?
>
> No, it wasn't/isn't *very* stimulating. It produces very mild and pleasant stimulation. But it has an overall calming and anti-anxiety effect for me too. And emotions are more intense etc. women look much prettier..
> When I take all my drugs including mirapex in the morning plus 2 coffees I feel almost normal (which is very very great).
>
> >I hate that worn down exhaustion that I get from drugs that are like that. How long have you been taking it? I am wondering if this effect wears off.
> > Do you feel like your face was hot all the time? My temperature was a little elevated at night while on it.
>
> Hmm, if I think about this, I would say it actually makes me feel more cool, and more fresh. I also sweat much less, which is great, because I normally sweat a lot...
>
>
> >I caved and absolutely have to take a few days' break from it.
> >
> >
>
>
> It take it for about 3 weeks. I currently take 0,65mg a day (spread into 3 doses). This drug is really great and provides su much benefits, I will keep taking it and make my way up to approx. 1mg and see whats happening on the long term run(speaking about weeks and months)
>
> Roland

 

My Mirapex experience

Posted by rod on September 2, 2004, at 6:07:14

In reply to Mirapex?, posted by paulk on August 28, 2004, at 11:27:33

Hi folks,

I recently tried mirapex with mixed results. If I increase my dosage it works quite well for a few days. But after some days on ~1mg , anxiety, inhibition, fatigue, cognitive impairment comes up. If I upp again, it works well fo a few days again. On the long term mirapex is really much a downer for me. like (I imagine) a nasty mood stabilizer, nor up or down. like I experienced Amantadine.
Now I am off for a few days and feel better again. maybe just a rebound effect, who knows.

And now musing a little bit about theory...
What I find bothering is that Mirapex decreases cerebral blood flow. this sureley contributes to its side effects on cognition. And also stimulates Autoreceptors leading to a decrease in dopamine synthesis and release. But wait a moment, hey, isnt Noradrenaline and adrenaline made from dopamine? Does it mean that chronic Pramipexole (Mirapex) administration leads to decreased synthesis of the latter? Its this the reason why low blood pressure is a side effect of Mirapex? And why, in part, didnt work for me? hmm? And thinking about the mechanism of Abilify, a "dopamine - serotonin stabilizer". So dopamine activity also modulates serotonergic activity. Maybe also a explanation for my experience...

Well, whatever

have a nice day and thanks for listening

Roland

 

Re: Mirapex for rapid cycling bipolar II, apathy

Posted by fluffy on September 11, 2004, at 14:29:48

In reply to Mirapex/dopamine for ADHD, depression, anxiety?, posted by pablo1 on August 31, 2004, at 23:22:17

Hi fellow Mirapex users--

Glad to read some positive responses. I'm currently taking 750mg of Depakote and .25mg of Risperdal for rapid cycling bipolar II. The Depakote slows the cycles, and the Risperdal calms the agitation and helps a little bit with concentration. It used to help me sleep, but lately I've had trouble with insomnia again. The problem is this: I have no feelings anymore. I feel like I don't enjoy anything, I'm not interested in anything. I guess I'm completely apathetic on this combo. I also still dip into a mild depression one or two days a week.

From what all of you say, it seems that Mirapex might work for the apathy and maybe depressions that I'm experiencing.

My question is this, though: Does it exacerbate rapid cycling? Or can it cause rapid cycling?

Are any of you bipolar? And has anyone "switched into mania"?

One more question: When I dip into my lows during the week, I clench my jaw really badly. Apparently, Mirapex is a treatment for bruxism as well. I wonder what the clenching is about?

Thanks,
Katy


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.