Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 365206

Shown: posts 1 to 9 of 9. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

bromocriptine

Posted by Questionmark on July 12, 2004, at 1:21:49

Does anyone have any experience with bromocriptine? i'm getting a prescription for it in a couple of days in my latest attempt to ease the anorgasmia caused by Nardil. (So far cyproheptadine, amantadine, methylphenidate, Adderall, and [from when i was on Paxil] Wellbutrin and Remeron were all failures). (Oh and Ginkgo helped minimally if at all).
So a lot is riding on this bromocriptine-- although i am pretty dubious, unfortunately. Anyway, any information you can pass to me about bromocriptine (and/or relief from Nardil anorgasmia) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

 

Re: bromocriptine Questionmark

Posted by chemist on July 12, 2004, at 5:34:23

In reply to bromocriptine, posted by Questionmark on July 12, 2004, at 1:21:49

> Does anyone have any experience with bromocriptine? i'm getting a prescription for it in a couple of days in my latest attempt to ease the anorgasmia caused by Nardil. (So far cyproheptadine, amantadine, methylphenidate, Adderall, and [from when i was on Paxil] Wellbutrin and Remeron were all failures). (Oh and Ginkgo helped minimally if at all).
> So a lot is riding on this bromocriptine-- although i am pretty dubious, unfortunately. Anyway, any information you can pass to me about bromocriptine (and/or relief from Nardil anorgasmia) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.


hello there, chemist here....i have a passing experience (not as a patient) with bromocriptine, which is indicated (usually) for prolactin inhibition: my experience was in examining binding affinities for various neuronal nicotine receptor subtypes in re: anti-parkinson's remedy. i have not heard anything about it for anorgasmia. i realize this is of little help to you, but i cannot think of any reason why it would be prescribed in that regard....please do keep us posted, perhaps another posterr and/or you/your doctor can shed some light on the mechanism? all the best, chemist

 

Re: bromocriptine Questionmark

Posted by King Vultan on July 12, 2004, at 8:37:10

In reply to bromocriptine, posted by Questionmark on July 12, 2004, at 1:21:49

> Does anyone have any experience with bromocriptine? i'm getting a prescription for it in a couple of days in my latest attempt to ease the anorgasmia caused by Nardil. (So far cyproheptadine, amantadine, methylphenidate, Adderall, and [from when i was on Paxil] Wellbutrin and Remeron were all failures). (Oh and Ginkgo helped minimally if at all).
> So a lot is riding on this bromocriptine-- although i am pretty dubious, unfortunately. Anyway, any information you can pass to me about bromocriptine (and/or relief from Nardil anorgasmia) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.


I've studied bromocriptine and some of the other dopamine agonists to some extent and was considering trying to badger my pdoc into prescribing one of them for me last year for my own lack of libido. Chemist is correct in that this drug seems to be mainly associated with treating hyperprolactinemia, but it can also be used for Parkinson's, and there is a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence that it may have efficacy as a sexual aid in increasing libido.

As for anorgasmia, considering what you've already tried, I would not be that optimistic, but there is no real harm in trying it. Watch out for the nausea and somnolence that these dopamine agonists often generate. They are also noted for causing dizziness--I believe from orthostatic hypotension. Why the side effects of these drugs are so different from that of more conventional dopaminergic drugs such as the stimulants is something I find a bit mystifying.

I did recently read about another treatment for anorgasmia using bethanecol (Urecholine) 10 to 30 minutes prior to sexual activity. Unfortunately, this appears to be some kind of cholinergic drug, as it has proved successful for treating orgasm problems in imipramine patients. Imipramine is notoriously anticholinergic, while Nardil is not, the orgasm problems with Nardil being likely caused by bombardment of 5-HT2A receptors by all that extra serotonin that is available. As such, I would not expect bethanecol to be very effective in treating your problem.

Todd

 

Re: bromocriptine King Vultan

Posted by chemist on July 12, 2004, at 16:19:30

In reply to Re: bromocriptine Questionmark, posted by King Vultan on July 12, 2004, at 8:37:10

> > Does anyone have any experience with bromocriptine? i'm getting a prescription for it in a couple of days in my latest attempt to ease the anorgasmia caused by Nardil. (So far cyproheptadine, amantadine, methylphenidate, Adderall, and [from when i was on Paxil] Wellbutrin and Remeron were all failures). (Oh and Ginkgo helped minimally if at all).
> > So a lot is riding on this bromocriptine-- although i am pretty dubious, unfortunately. Anyway, any information you can pass to me about bromocriptine (and/or relief from Nardil anorgasmia) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>
>
> I've studied bromocriptine and some of the other dopamine agonists to some extent and was considering trying to badger my pdoc into prescribing one of them for me last year for my own lack of libido. Chemist is correct in that this drug seems to be mainly associated with treating hyperprolactinemia, but it can also be used for Parkinson's, and there is a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence that it may have efficacy as a sexual aid in increasing libido.
>
> As for anorgasmia, considering what you've already tried, I would not be that optimistic, but there is no real harm in trying it. Watch out for the nausea and somnolence that these dopamine agonists often generate. They are also noted for causing dizziness--I believe from orthostatic hypotension. Why the side effects of these drugs are so different from that of more conventional dopaminergic drugs such as the stimulants is something I find a bit mystifying.
>
> I did recently read about another treatment for anorgasmia using bethanecol (Urecholine) 10 to 30 minutes prior to sexual activity. Unfortunately, this appears to be some kind of cholinergic drug, as it has proved successful for treating orgasm problems in imipramine patients. Imipramine is notoriously anticholinergic, while Nardil is not, the orgasm problems with Nardil being likely caused by bombardment of 5-HT2A receptors by all that extra serotonin that is available. As such, I would not expect bethanecol to be very effective in treating your problem.
>
> Todd

hello all, chemist here...i have to throw in my two cents about bethanechol...i usually will not post to a query that overlaps with some research stuff i do that is covered by confidentiality/non-disclosure stuff - i studiously avoided the thread about AChE/ChE - but i have to say, this drug is pretty much good for two things, and two things only: increasing urinary frequency and voiding your bladder. i'm with the King in that the libido issues are a murky area and that these alternatives are likely to be ineffective. this one, in particular - even if it worked sexually - would keep you in the restroom, not the bedroom. all the best, chemist

 

Re: bromocriptine

Posted by Questionmark on July 17, 2004, at 14:28:51

In reply to Re: bromocriptine King Vultan, posted by chemist on July 12, 2004, at 16:19:30

> > > Does anyone have any experience with bromocriptine? i'm getting a prescription for it in a couple of days in my latest attempt to ease the anorgasmia caused by Nardil. (So far cyproheptadine, amantadine, methylphenidate, Adderall, and [from when i was on Paxil] Wellbutrin and Remeron were all failures). (Oh and Ginkgo helped minimally if at all).
> > > So a lot is riding on this bromocriptine-- although i am pretty dubious, unfortunately. Anyway, any information you can pass to me about bromocriptine (and/or relief from Nardil anorgasmia) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> >
> > I've studied bromocriptine and some of the other dopamine agonists to some extent and was considering trying to badger my pdoc into prescribing one of them for me last year for my own lack of libido. Chemist is correct in that this drug seems to be mainly associated with treating hyperprolactinemia, but it can also be used for Parkinson's, and there is a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence that it may have efficacy as a sexual aid in increasing libido.
> >
> > As for anorgasmia, considering what you've already tried, I would not be that optimistic, but there is no real harm in trying it. Watch out for the nausea and somnolence that these dopamine agonists often generate. They are also noted for causing dizziness--I believe from orthostatic hypotension. Why the side effects of these drugs are so different from that of more conventional dopaminergic drugs such as the stimulants is something I find a bit mystifying.
> >
> > I did recently read about another treatment for anorgasmia using bethanecol (Urecholine) 10 to 30 minutes prior to sexual activity. Unfortunately, this appears to be some kind of cholinergic drug, as it has proved successful for treating orgasm problems in imipramine patients. Imipramine is notoriously anticholinergic, while Nardil is not, the orgasm problems with Nardil being likely caused by bombardment of 5-HT2A receptors by all that extra serotonin that is available. As such, I would not expect bethanecol to be very effective in treating your problem.
> >
> > Todd
>
> hello all, chemist here...i have to throw in my two cents about bethanechol...i usually will not post to a query that overlaps with some research stuff i do that is covered by confidentiality/non-disclosure stuff - i studiously avoided the thread about AChE/ChE - but i have to say, this drug is pretty much good for two things, and two things only: increasing urinary frequency and voiding your bladder. i'm with the King in that the libido issues are a murky area and that these alternatives are likely to be ineffective. this one, in particular - even if it worked sexually - would keep you in the restroom, not the bedroom. all the best, chemist


Todd and Chemist... Thank you for your replies. Sorry it took my so long to respond to them. Anyway...
i was under the impression that bromocriptine was indicated for libido/orgasmic problems fairly often-- especially "back in the day" (like the 80s maybe?). Maybe not though. Regardless, i understand that it's probably more commonly prescribed for Parkinson's and hyperprolactinemia-- however, generally anything that is effective for hyperprolactinemia can also be quite effective for libido problems & anorgasmia. i'm surprised that you haven't heard of it for that use, Chemist (no offense, of course).
i also find it extremely peculiar/confusing that dopamine agonists act so differently than (the dopaminergic) psychostimulants, Todd. i've always found that really confusing and strange. i don't get it. i wonder why that is. Thank you for your warning though. i'm worried that i won't be able to deal with the side effects. Daytime fatigue can already be a big problem for me oftentimes, and from what i hear DA agonists can be really bad in that respect. i also need all the appetite i can get, so i'm concerned about what it will do to that.
Yeah, i ask my doctor if i could have a trial with bethanecol or another cholinergic, but he refused because he said he was worried about the cardiac effects. i still would like to try it/one (also to see how it affected some of my other side effects and cognitive function as well). But you guys are probably right that it would not help that much with Nardil and would probably "keep you in the restroom not the bedroom," as Chemist said.
i wonder how bromocriptine (Parlodel) compares with other dopamine agonists, such as cabergoline (Dostinex), pramipexole (Mirapex), pergolide (Permax), and ropinirole (Requip). i hope this is the best choice. And i hope it works better than amantadine did.

 

Re: bromocriptine Questionmark

Posted by Nohope on July 17, 2004, at 18:27:32

In reply to Re: bromocriptine, posted by Questionmark on July 17, 2004, at 14:28:51

Hi Questionmark,

I get some form of sexual dysfunction from just about every medication, but one was very different from the rest - reboxetine. With reboxetine, my libido soared and physical sensation was fantastic, but it induced terrible *premature* ejaculation. In effect, it produced the opposite of anorgasmia and might be a useful adjunct for you. I am not the only one this has happened to; if you search the net enough you will find similar reports. Normal dose for depression is 8mg/day, but as an adjunct I would start at 2mg/day. BTW, I have no idea of its compatibility with MAOIs which is obviously an important consideration.
I have tried the dopamine agonists before (including Bromocriptine). They did nothing but give me brain fog, fatigue and induce panic attacks, all for no benefit.

Nohope

 

Re: bromocriptine Nohope

Posted by Questionmark on July 21, 2004, at 20:26:39

In reply to Re: bromocriptine Questionmark, posted by Nohope on July 17, 2004, at 18:27:32

> Hi Questionmark,
>
> I get some form of sexual dysfunction from just about every medication, but one was very different from the rest - reboxetine. With reboxetine, my libido soared and physical sensation was fantastic, but it induced terrible *premature* ejaculation. In effect, it produced the opposite of anorgasmia and might be a useful adjunct for you. I am not the only one this has happened to; if you search the net enough you will find similar reports. Normal dose for depression is 8mg/day, but as an adjunct I would start at 2mg/day. BTW, I have no idea of its compatibility with MAOIs which is obviously an important consideration.
> I have tried the dopamine agonists before (including Bromocriptine). They did nothing but give me brain fog, fatigue and induce panic attacks, all for no benefit.
>
> Nohope

Thanks so much for your comments. i imagine i'll probably have very similar experience(s) with dopamine agonists (bromocriptine) to your own. Amantadine (Symmetrel) basically had that effect on me (though w/out panic attacks).
But yeah, if reboxetine (well, it would have to be atomoxetine/Strattera, since reboxetine is not available here in the U.S.) would affect me as it did you, it sounds like it would be excellent for my orgasmic and libido problems. i did not know that it had the tendency to produce those effects. Also, a NRI is fine to take with an MAOI, if used cautiously and at a low enough dose. In fact, they are helpful in preventing tyramine-induced hypertensive reactions (since tyramine is taken into noradrenergic neurons via the norepinephrine reuptake pump, which NRIs such as reboxetine and Strattera, of course, block).
One side effect that i would be concerned about, however-- that i think i remember people on Strattera complaining about-- is erectile difficulties. Needless to say, that would obviously not be worth it. Did you have problems with this on reboxetine, if you don't mind saying?
Also, if you don't mind taking the time, could you tell me how long you were on reboxetine and some of the other effects (esp. side effects) it had on you? And also, what are your diagnoses/ psychiatric "problems"?
Thanks again. i really appreciate it.

 

Re: bromocriptine

Posted by Nohope on July 23, 2004, at 3:15:02

In reply to Re: bromocriptine Nohope, posted by Questionmark on July 21, 2004, at 20:26:39

Hi Questionmark,

> But yeah, if reboxetine (well, it would have to be atomoxetine/Strattera, since reboxetine is not available here in the U.S.)

I don't know anything about the pharmacology of Strattera and have never used it, so I can't say whether they are 'interchangeable' with respect to their sexual effects. You can't import reboxetine legally into the US?

> i did not know that it had the tendency to produce those effects.

It certainly has been unique in that respect.

> One side effect that i would be concerned about, however-- that i think i remember people on Strattera complaining about-- is erectile difficulties. Needless to say, that would obviously not be worth it. Did you have problems with this on reboxetine, if you don't mind saying?

Unfortunately, yes, but that does not mean it would happen to you. More importantly, there *may* be an antidote if it does happen. Urinary hesitancy is common on reboxetine (an adrenergic effect on the prostate, I believe) and there was a report that this could be effectively treated with tamsulosin (sp?), an alpha blocker. There was a guy posting here by the name 'Happy Harri' (I think) who used it and apparently cured his erectile dysfunction when on reboxetine. He seemed very pleased. I have no reason to doubt this because my erectile problems were definitely vascular: my dude was just too damn tight to let any blood in. In any case, alpha blockers are being seriously researced as anti-impotence agents (I believe yohimbine is also an alpha blocker). In short, somehow my erectile dysfunction on reboxetine felt very different to SSRI type and an alpha blocker may work. I don't know if they are compatible with MAOIs.

I discovered Harri's post a while after I discontinued reboxetine, so I didn't try it. In any case my premature ejaculation was so bad a hard erection would have been little use. Boy, did my libido skyrocket though.

> Also, if you don't mind taking the time, could you tell me how long you were on reboxetine and some of the other effects (esp. side effects) it had on you? And also, what are your diagnoses/ psychiatric "problems"?

Reboxetine felt much more like a stimulant than an antidepressant to me. It was excellent for energy and motivation, but the flipside of this was rather bad insomnia and reduced need for sleep. Also I felt wired and jittery. No weight gain or brain fog. Some sweating. All this stimulation is no good for someone with severe panic disorder such as myself so I had to ditch it after a few months.

> Thanks again. i really appreciate it.

No problems. Best of luck.

 

Thanks a lot. (nm) Nohope

Posted by Questionmark on July 23, 2004, at 13:38:56

In reply to Re: bromocriptine, posted by Nohope on July 23, 2004, at 3:15:02


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.