Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 365024

Shown: posts 11 to 35 of 48. Go back in thread:

 

Re: NEURONTIN

Posted by rod on July 18, 2004, at 6:39:35

In reply to NEURONTIN, posted by Robz on July 11, 2004, at 13:41:39

> It seems as though no one is talking about Neurontin. Why is that?

hmmm, maybe everyone likes it and does not complain about it :-). Just kidding

But to be honest, I like it. Its calming, clears my mind and memory and creates a mild feeling of well being. I am on 1500mg.

Roland

 

Re: NEURONTIN rod

Posted by Robz on July 18, 2004, at 13:16:42

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN, posted by rod on July 18, 2004, at 6:39:35

Rod...That was a great answer. I have heard nothing but good things about this med. So far it has worked great for me. I am only on 300mgs but I will be going up soon. Thanks for the input!!!
Robyn

 

NEURONTIN - sometimes rod

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 18, 2004, at 16:25:38

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN, posted by rod on July 18, 2004, at 6:39:35

I'm going through a major fibro flare today. I hurt all over, cognitive fog, tired but can't sleep. I've been gulping handfulls of neurontin, probably about 9 caps so far and can't get that good feeling. Feels like my gaba receptors are clogged, worn out. I don't know. This is when I could really use what Neurontin sometimes provides. Only, it's not happening. - Barbara

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by platinumbride on July 19, 2004, at 12:22:34

In reply to NEURONTIN - sometimes rod, posted by BarbaraCat on July 18, 2004, at 16:25:38

BC:

I do hope that you are feeling better soon.

As for me, neurontin has been a staple for me for 3 years. Sometimes it can make me feel a bit loopy (if I don't get the dosage timing right), but mostly I am just so grateful that it calms me without the potential depression that I can get when taking klonopin.

I used to eat like a pig with it, but that seems to have stopped. (Like I guess I stopped running to the refrigerator!)

I DO notice that I have difficulty achieving orgasm when I take it, but again, if the timing of the dosage is right, that is not an issue.

I'm really grateful for this drug.

Diane

> I'm going through a major fibro flare today. I hurt all over, cognitive fog, tired but can't sleep. I've been gulping handfulls of neurontin, probably about 9 caps so far and can't get that good feeling. Feels like my gaba receptors are clogged, worn out. I don't know. This is when I could really use what Neurontin sometimes provides. Only, it's not happening. - Barbara

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes platinumbride

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 19, 2004, at 12:35:11

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by platinumbride on July 19, 2004, at 12:22:34

Dear PB,
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I am feeling much better today but am taking it very easy. I helped a friend move and way overdid it, cleaning with chemicals and such. This fibro stuff is so vexing. But I'm glad I have Neurontin in my arsenal, even though it merely muffles things rather than totally alleviates.

How much Neurontin do you take and what is your dosage/timing? Do you take breaks from it? I don't follow any schedule with it, just take it as needed, but perhaps should take it prophylactically. I do like it very much, just chills things out nicely and then wears off before too long.

Haven't noticed the orgasm thing, but with life as it's been for so long and my husband just getting out of his own dysthymia, I'll tell ya, friskyness has not been high on the priority list. But when it does happen, no problem.

>
> I do hope that you are feeling better soon.
>
> As for me, neurontin has been a staple for me for 3 years. Sometimes it can make me feel a bit loopy (if I don't get the dosage timing right), but mostly I am just so grateful that it calms me without the potential depression that I can get when taking klonopin.
>
> I used to eat like a pig with it, but that seems to have stopped. (Like I guess I stopped running to the refrigerator!)
>
> I DO notice that I have difficulty achieving orgasm when I take it, but again, if the timing of the dosage is right, that is not an issue.
>
> I'm really grateful for this drug.
>
> Diane
>
> > I'm going through a major fibro flare today. I hurt all over, cognitive fog, tired but can't sleep. I've been gulping handfulls of neurontin, probably about 9 caps so far and can't get that good feeling. Feels like my gaba receptors are clogged, worn out. I don't know. This is when I could really use what Neurontin sometimes provides. Only, it's not happening. - Barbara
>
>

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes BarbaraCat

Posted by platinumbride on July 19, 2004, at 13:49:27

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes platinumbride, posted by BarbaraCat on July 19, 2004, at 12:35:11

How much Neurontin do you take and what is your dosage/timing? Do you take breaks from it? I don't follow any schedule with it, just take it as needed, but perhaps should take it prophylactically. I do like it very much, just chills things out nicely and then wears off before too long.

I take it nearly every day. I try to keep the number of pills as low as possible because I've learned that for me, I can go up to 4800 mgs/day and see no results. Some days I will take 1200 twice a day, some days 1800, some days I start at 1200 and take 600 more every 5 hours or so. Just depends on my anxiety level.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Diane

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes BarbaraCat

Posted by SLS on July 19, 2004, at 13:57:23

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes platinumbride, posted by BarbaraCat on July 19, 2004, at 12:35:11

> > > I'm going through a major fibro flare today. I hurt all over, cognitive fog, tired but can't sleep. I've been gulping handfulls of neurontin, probably about 9 caps so far and can't get that good feeling. Feels like my gaba receptors are clogged, worn out. I don't know. This is when I could really use what Neurontin sometimes provides. Only, it's not happening. - Barbara


I'm sure you must have posted about this before, but I'm curious as to how you reacted to any of the TCAs.

Cymbalta (duloxetine) has been getting some good press regarding its potential to treat pain disorders. The FDA is supposed to make a decision about its approval at the end of September.

Be well.


- Scott

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes SLS

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 19, 2004, at 14:11:44

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes BarbaraCat, posted by SLS on July 19, 2004, at 13:57:23

>
> I'm sure you must have posted about this before, but I'm curious as to how you reacted to any of the TCAs.
>

**I had very good luck with nortryptaline in general but had very uncomfortable side effects. Trembling, which was probaby potentiated by the lithium I take, and extreme parchedness. Dry mouth, constipation, parched skin feeling. Had to stop.

**I've been taking St. John' Wort and it's been helping alot, but nothing helps when I overdo it, like I did by helping a friend move and being exposed to cleaning chemicals and such.

> Cymbalta (duloxetine) has been getting some good press regarding its potential to treat pain disorders. The FDA is supposed to make a decision about its approval at the end of September.
>
**Isn't duloxetine a SNRI? I'm very leery about any of the SSRI/SNRI's. Have been on most of them and, being BP-II, they have not agreed with me. I have to drop the prescription coverage of my health insurance for financial reasons and I'm trying to not depend on prescription meds if I can help it. But I'll do a search and look into it. Minalcerin (sp?) is another S/NE uptake AD that's in Phase III trials for fibro. I have a feeling that there will be alot of copycat drugs hitting the market now that fibro has finally made it to the 'it's real' category.

St. John's is the only AD I've been able to tolerate, taken along with lithium, and it seems to work on all three neurotransmitters -- at least as far as anyone can tell. I'm rather amazed at how well it's working, in fact. Thanks for your input, Scott! - Barbara

>

>
>

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes BarbaraCat

Posted by rod on July 20, 2004, at 3:38:30

In reply to NEURONTIN - sometimes rod, posted by BarbaraCat on July 18, 2004, at 16:25:38

> I'm going through a major fibro flare today. I hurt all over, cognitive fog, tired but can't sleep. I've been gulping handfulls of neurontin, probably about 9 caps so far and can't get that good feeling. Feels like my gaba receptors are clogged, worn out. I don't know. This is when I could really use what Neurontin sometimes provides. Only, it's not happening. - Barbara

I know. The positive effect of Neurontin also varies with my personal condition. If I feel better, Neurontin also works better, If I dont feel good, Neurontin does not change much.
Anyway, I like Neurontin.

Roland

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 9:26:20

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes BarbaraCat, posted by rod on July 20, 2004, at 3:38:30

I am also curious about neurontin. I am currently trying to get on Wellbutrin and hoping to drop remeron if I am successful with it. However, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the WB alone if it causes an increase of anxiety. (Remeron totally vanquished my incredibly severe anxiety--but it hasn't done much for my depression). So far the Wellbutrin seems to make me more tired, so that hasn't been a big concern.

Anyway, I have heard you can take neurontin for anxiety, and if I have to I would prefer to add that rather than an SSRI. I don't ever want to take an SSRI again after what I went through with paxil.

Does neurontin work well for anxiety? Do you have to take it three times a day? What are its major side effects? (I have a weak stomach, so stomach upset and nausea are what I worry about the most!)

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by platinumbride on July 20, 2004, at 10:52:21

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 9:26:20

>
>
> Does neurontin work well for anxiety?

I think it works quite well, though it isn't instantaneous like xanax.
Do you have to take it three times a day?

I personally do in order to keep the anxiety in check and to wake up without the feeling that I am going to die!

What are its major side effects? (I have a weak stomach, so stomach upset and nausea are what I worry about the most!)
Well, I have never had a problem with it and my stomach (though if you are sensitive there, keep in mind that you can't take antacids for a few hours before or after the dose or its metabolization is inhibited).

It sometimes makes me feel kind of euhporic. It also tends to be a bit cognitively dulling at really high doses. It does appear to make you retain some water, but since the halof life is so short, it isn't a big deal.

When my anxiety was so bad that even remeron wasn't helping it, I would take some neurontin and within an hour my stomach would begin to relax and I could start talking to people.

Some people hate it, but it has been a really good drug for me.....so much so thta I forgive it for contributing to my obesity in the past.

Good luck, .

Diane

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 11:18:01

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by platinumbride on July 20, 2004, at 10:52:21

Wow, sounds like it really works well for anxiety for you. Good to know. I will keep it in mind when I try to ditch the remeron. Although, I am discovering that I react oppositely to alot of meds so maybe it won't work for me!!

How has it contributed to your obesity? Does it put weight on you like remeron does? I have managed not to gain weight on remeron but I have to eat way less than I did before and it is a struggle everyday. Not fun.

So glad it is working for you!!!

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 20, 2004, at 14:29:53

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 9:26:20

Raven,
I believe it works very well for anxiety, but I am bipolar-II, if that makes any difference. What I mean is that, in being bipolar, I benefit from it's mood stabilizing properties, although non-BP's enjoy it's anti-anxiety benefits as well.

I have to take it 3 times a day, when I'm taking it. By that, I mean that I do not always take it, not like an antidepressant or my lithium or thyroid. I take it when I'm going through an anxious time. It works very well. It does not cause any side effects that I'm aware of, certainly not gastointestinal side effects.

There are times when I take it that I get a lovely blissful feeling of calm and serenity that lasts a few hours. It is perfect, and is a good reference to remind me that I can someday achieve this feeling on my own. Sometimes I sleep and wake up in a state of relaxed serenity.

When I have the time and really need a few days to chill, I'll take 3 caps (900mg) three or four times a day. It sedates me enough to sleep if I want to, or just hunker down somewhere and let the anxiety float away. If I take less, it chills me a bit, enough to get on with my tasks, drive, whatever. It's a different sort of feeling than, say, a benzo. But you do have to 'refresh' if frequently throughout the day. I haven't found this to be a problem at all. I just carry a little bottle in my purse.

But sometimes it does very little, no matter how much I take. Those times I usually combine it with a benzo or oxycontin and it then kicks in a little more. On days when I'm really hurting from fibro or really wound up, Neurontin isn't enough on it's own. Nothing is enough and that's why things hurt so much. But it does lend help, along with other meds, in it's own way.

That's where I'm at right now, Raven. I'm having a fibro flare (it's good for neurpathic pain). I'm fighting a lurking depression and I though Oh hell, I need a break from life. Neurontin has come to the rescue again. I've had to spend the past 4 days in bed and the St. John's Wort and Neurontin have allowed me to just rest and not beat myself up over it. I can just float away when I need to, thanks to Neurontin. I trust this drug. It has one of the most benign side effect profiles. I've taken ALOT at times and have suffered no ill effects.

You can also take it on a regular basis as an ongoing antianxiety med. It's indicated in this way for bipolar because it's actually an anticonvulsant, a mood stabilizer. You can go pretty high with it, like 12-15 caps a days. But tolerance will develop if you take high amounts consistently. That's why I use it when and if I need it and always take a break.

If you're on an antidepressant, you would do well to consider a mood stabilizer. That's the going trend. As discussed above, Neurtontin is a mood stabilizer with antianxiety properties. I'd take it over Lamictal any day (which I had. Make me anxious and I got the rash).

You might consider low dose lithium. It acts as a very effective AD augmentor and a calming agent. Whether or not you have BP disorder, you might benefit from lithium's many good effects. For those for whom Neuronton works, it works well. I wish you heartfelt luck. - BarbaraCat


> I am also curious about neurontin. I am currently trying to get on Wellbutrin and hoping to drop remeron if I am successful with it. However, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the WB alone if it causes an increase of anxiety. (Remeron totally vanquished my incredibly severe anxiety--but it hasn't done much for my depression). So far the Wellbutrin seems to make me more tired, so that hasn't been a big concern.
>
> Anyway, I have heard you can take neurontin for anxiety, and if I have to I would prefer to add that rather than an SSRI. I don't ever want to take an SSRI again after what I went through with paxil.
>
> Does neurontin work well for anxiety? Do you have to take it three times a day? What are its major side effects? (I have a weak stomach, so stomach upset and nausea are what I worry about the most!)

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 20, 2004, at 14:43:40

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 11:18:01

Raven,
I forgot to add my comments about weight. Compared to Remeron, Neurontin is zilch-o in the weight deparment, at least in my experience. On Remeron, I was getting up in the wee hours, haunting the fridge and snarfing down old frozen deserts. I once made a late night trip to a store that had just closed and banged on the door, pleading with them to let me in so I could buy a package of Haagen Daz dark chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bars. I devoured 2 of them on my way to the car. And this was on a cold February night! I recall thinking 'Barbara, we have a little problem here'.

It was like constant PMS when you would do just about anything to get to that chocolate thing or that high carb sweetie. And I don't usually even like sweets! There's a reason for this, as Remeron targets a specific Serotonin receptor (5HT1a) that is known to cause carb cravings.

I have gained about 5 pounds in the last month but it could be due to many things. At any rate, Neurontin has not caused any noticeable food cravings at all.


> How has it contributed to your obesity? Does it put weight on you like remeron does? I have managed not to gain weight on remeron but I have to eat way less than I did before and it is a struggle everyday. Not fun.
>
> So glad it is working for you!!!

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by platinumbride on July 20, 2004, at 15:18:12

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 20, 2004, at 11:18:01

>
> How has it contributed to your obesity? Does it put weight on you like remeron does? I have managed not to gain weight on remeron but I have to eat way less than I did before and it is a struggle everyday. Not fun.
>
> So glad it is working for you!!!

NOTHING put on weight for me like remeron did!!!!! I just find that when I take it I feel hungry, and that seems to have changed for me in the past month or so...I just don't LET myself eat like a pig, and then the desire to passes. Food=Reward, and I guess I have just been feeling like not being so anxious is reward enough in itself.

I know what you mean about the whole opposite thing. This is probably lousy advice but I have a friend with mild ADD. He is of Latin American descent and when he was a kid and out of control, his mom gave him a coffee and it calmed him down. Now when he is stressed he has a coffee and it makes him want to sleep.

But that probably isn't something you want to try.....dunno.

fwiw, remeron did nothing for my anxiety. It just gave me a good, long sleep and then a good 70 lbs.

Best,
diane

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by ravenstorm on July 21, 2004, at 10:04:59

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by platinumbride on July 20, 2004, at 15:18:12

Barbara and platinum-

Thank you so much for your detailed and informative responses. If i get on the wellbutrin and off the remeron (GOD PLEASE LET THAT HAPPEN), I will definitely try the neurontin if I need it for anxiety. Barb, my mom has fibro so I really feel for you. She refuses to take any AD's for it though. (WEll, she tried Nortrip and got nightmares and painful eyes so she stopped) Maybe I'll mention the neurontin to her.

Rigt now, the pdoc just has me taking the WB 100sr at night with the remeron. It still makes me tired. Didn't think it would be possible to feel more tired than on remeron alone!!

I think next week he will up the dose to 100mg twice daily but I'm not sure If I can take it during the day! Maybe I'll just ask for the XL version and take it at night, although I have heard that if you take an acid reducing medication like prilosec (which I do), you can't take the XL cause your body doesn't process it properly.

I just want to get off the remeron. I just feel confused and out of it all the time (but no anxiety). And 15mg isn't doing enough for the depression.

Thanks again!

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 21, 2004, at 13:49:02

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 21, 2004, at 10:04:59

You've mentioned tiredness quite a few times and I can't help but wonder about your thyroid. Mine is toast, basically, especially with taking Lithium. But I've had hypothyroidism for as long as I can remember, so did my Mom, her sisters, etc. I believe hypothyroidism is a big part of my fibro. In fact, some sources (Dr. John Lowe) believe fibro is basically undertreated hypothyroidism. The clinical symptoms are exactly the same. Your Mom should get a battery of tests done and so should you, for that matter. Most doctors will only do TSH, but if TSH comes back in the normal range and you're still feeling tired, other thyroid tests to measure autoimmune dysfunction, free T4, free T3, T4/T3 uptake and blah blah blah should be given.

Basically, if your Mom has fibro, chances are good that she has low thyroid. If you are feeling tired all the time, and if your Mom has low thyroid, chances are you do too. When you get tested, your TSH should be around 1.9 - NO HIGHER than 2.0, despite the 'normal range' of 1-5. NO HIGHER than 2.0 - period! When my thyroid is functioning properly, my fibro symptoms are greatly relieved. Not entirely ever gone, but I know when my thyroid needs tweaking because I'll get those old debilitating fibro symptoms. Co-enzyme Q10 150mg helps alot, as does Magnesium Taurate, as does L-tyrosine.

I wish your mother well. Fibromyalgia hurts and is such a stinkin' puzzler. But thyroid is one big piece of the puzzle and makes a HUGE difference. Good luck, my friend, in getting off Remeron. A useless pork-o-genic med if there ever was one. If you have to be on a med, there are better ones out there. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it were something as simple as corrrecting a low thyroid? - Barbara

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by ravenstorm on July 21, 2004, at 20:59:06

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm, posted by BarbaraCat on July 21, 2004, at 13:49:02

Yeah, I really do have to get more testing done. My basic result was 2.85, but the doctor said that is normal and they look at me and see I am normal weight and say I can't possibly have a thyroid problem. I have to say, I really watch what I eat though.

I have been on medication before. I was on paxil for many years (about four more years than I wanted because I couldn't get off of it). I was in fact on only 2mg for several years, just enough to keep me from going through withdrawal. In retrospect, I wish I'd stayed on the damn 2mg for the rest of my life. The final titration down left me worse than I have ever been in my life. Much worse than I ever was before going on the drug.

Now, I wonder if I will ever be well again. I am a partial responder to 15mg of remeron but can't up the dose or I end up in a coma. I really wish now that I had tried the nortrip. again instead of going on remeron because I have discovered that some people have a really hard time getting off of remeron too. I am going to be more pissed off than anyone in the world if I am trapped on a drug that makes me feel like crap!!

So far, I don't have much faith that the wellbutrin is going to do the trick. I know it is way too early to tell, but I am just pretty damned discouraged at this point. And so far the two pdocs I've been through have been pretty worthless. I honest to God think they are the laziest of any in the medical profession and they have no clue how to listen.

OOPS, sorry for the off topic rant! this has been going on for nine months and I 'm ready for it to be over!

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm

Posted by BarbaraCat on July 22, 2004, at 12:36:03

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 21, 2004, at 20:59:06

> Yeah, I really do have to get more testing done. My basic result was 2.85, but the doctor said that is normal and they look at me and see I am normal weight and say I can't possibly have a thyroid problem. I have to say, I really watch what I eat though.

**If a person has depression, .5 to 2.0 is considered optimal. If a person is bipolar or has anxiety disorder, it's 1.9 to avoid any hyper symptoms. But 2.85 isn't bad but it could be better. On the other hand, if you're not taking thyroid medication then it's probably good to not start if you don't really have to.
>
> The final titration down of Paxil left me worse than I have ever been in my life. Much worse than I ever was before going on the drug. Now, I wonder if I will ever be well again.

**I sometimes wonder how life would be if I hadn't been on SSRI's for such a high dose for so long. I think my receptors were damaged and I've heard this can be so. I keep taking fish oil because it helps to heal the cell membrane and do eveything else I can to give my healing capacity a hand. We turn over cells and create brand new brains ever 7 years or so and there's always hope. Who knows, maybe all this is to create stronger, more adaptive and more compassionate brains than we would have had if life had been easier. So keep up a healthy lifestyle and keep the faith.
>
**If it's any consolation, Remeron was the easiest AD I've ever gotten off. It was a piece of cake compared to the others. Paxil and Effexor were the worst for me. I had to grit my teeth and kept telling myself the sideways swooshies and electrical zaps would someday end. The raw exposed nerve endings would someday be soothed. It took a few months for the immediate awfuls to subside. I think it takes a few years for the receptors to get the idea that they can come out and play and naturally up-regulate again.

Something you might consider if you're having a real hard time coming off an SSRI/SNRI drug is to get a short-term prescription for Prozac. Prozac has the longest half-life of any of them and makes it easier to ease off slowly. It's the short half-life ones that are the pits. I've heard that taking it with orange juice makes it work better. Beats me why.

And if all else fails and you find you still need an antidepressant, consider St. John's Wort. I've been quite surprised at how effective it's been. I've been on a pharmaceutical grade for 6 weeks now. It's not perfect in that I still get down days and fibro flares, but given the alternatives, it's by far the best -- two thumbs up. - Barbara

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by ravenstorm on July 22, 2004, at 18:45:47

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes ravenstorm, posted by BarbaraCat on July 22, 2004, at 12:36:03

I had the worst case of paxil withdrawal I have ever heard of. I tried the prozac trick. Nothing helped. Five days off paxil and I was puking could literally not stand up and would shake and shake and shake. And this is from trying to stop at 5mg or even 2mg after a very slow taper.

To finally get off of it I had to water down the liquid to drop from 2.0 to 1.5 to 1.0 etc etc. and still got screwed up. Since I was soooo bad

I only assume that anything that anyone has ever had problems getting off will cause me problems. If I had found the withdrawal posts on another site before I started taking it, I never would have put it in my mouth!!!

I only wanted to be on paxil the first two years. I ended up on it for six because I couldn't figure out how to get off the damn stuff!

 

Re: NEURONTIN WEIGHT gain...switch to ZONEGRAN? jtevers

Posted by Susan D on August 23, 2004, at 23:04:21

In reply to NEURONTIN WEIGHT gain...switch to ZONEGRAN?, posted by jtevers on July 16, 2004, at 20:03:16

> i have been on neurontin since a bipolar diagnosis in 2000. i additionally take an antipsychotic (seroquel) for stability.
>
> i have gained nearly 80 lbs. on this med. regimen and looking for help or insight.
>
> i am attempting a switch from seroquel to geodon ... which causes less weight gain. And wonder if perhaps i should switch neurontin to zonegran. i have heard that neurontin also causes weight gain that doesn't respond to exercise or diet.
>
> any experience

I've been on Neurontin for 2 years for peripheral neuropathy - only 600mg per day. I've gained 35 pounds since I started taking it. It is very resistant to dieting -- I recently spent a month on Atkins (with NO cheating) and lost 0. My neurologist wants to increase my dosage to 1800, but after I was on 900 for a few days, my feet and legs started swelling. She now wants to switch me from Neurontin to Zonegran, which I've taken for 4 days, with a marked decrease in appetite, and supposedly without the weight gain effects of Neurontin. I read that Neurontin actually slows down the metabolism, and I believe it!

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes

Posted by Deesent on October 15, 2004, at 18:16:41

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by ravenstorm on July 22, 2004, at 18:45:47

My doctor prescribed Neurontin after I had to withdraw from Serzone and could not tolerate Lexapro. After trying many different AD's Serzone unfortunately was the one that finally worked for me and then they withdrew it from the market.

AD's and me don't get along very well. I have been hesitant to try the Neurontin, not wanting to go through side affects and all, but some of your posts are encouraging me to take it for my anxiety. I currently take Xanax .5 mg 3-4 times a day. Does anybody take Xanax with the Neurontin? He is starting me on a REAL low dose of 100 mg 3X day because he knows how sensitive I am to meds. Have been on Xanax for 15+ years and I don't see myself getting off of it anytime soon.
Thanks for your insights and help:)

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes Deesent

Posted by Snowie on October 17, 2004, at 18:16:02

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes, posted by Deesent on October 15, 2004, at 18:16:41

Hi,

Yes, I have taken Xanax (and Tranxene) and Neurontin together (I don't do well with A/D's either). Several years ago, my sister was taking Neurontin and she liked it, so I tried it at her suggestion because I felt Xanax wasn't working as well for me the 2nd time around as it had the 1st time (long story - I had been taking Xanax for years but because of a job I wanted that required a drug test, I developed a benzo dependency phobia, so I weaned off Xanax over 9 mos. and stopped taking it completely for over a year. I came to the conclusion during that time that my life on Xanax had been much better than it had been without it.). I broke open a 100 mg. capsule of Neurontin and added it to a soft drink or milk and was surprised that my anxiety went away the first time I tried it.

I got a pdoc to write me a script of Neurontin for 100 mg. 2 or 3 x a day, and it eventually allowed me to go from 3 mg. a day of Xanax to only 1 mg. I went on Tranxene a few months later (also a benzo but supposedly not as potent as Xanax and I take only 1 15 mg. pill in the morning), but Tranxene hasn't helped me much, although I feel if for some reason I had to quit it cold turkey I could, which is probably why I haven't gone back to regular Xanax, although I'm considering Xanax XR.

Unfortunately, although Neurontin works for me much of the time, it doesn't work all of the time to alleviate anxiety. Often it works better than benzos; other times it doesn't work at all. Go figure. Also, Neurontin by itself doesn't help me with social anxiety. In addition, I've gained weight since upping my dosage of Neurontin to 400 mg. 3 x a day, my libido has been non-existent, and I've had terrible tinnitis. Those side effects may or may not be caused by Neurontin, so I've started tapering it to see if the weight gain, libido, and tinnitis problems are side effects of the increased Neurontin (I feel my libido returning, so I'll see what happens). So far I haven't had any problems tapering from Neurontin (I've only been taking 1 400 mg. pill at night so I can sleep and I don't taper too quickly).

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps. Don't forget we're all different and what works for me may or may not work for you, and whatever side effects I may experience may or may not affect you in the same way. You won't know until you try it. However, if Neurontin does help you and you notice any of the side effects I mention above, try lowering your dose back to 100 mg. 3 x a day and see if they go away because for me it has been a good med.

Snowie

> My doctor prescribed Neurontin after I had to withdraw from Serzone and could not tolerate Lexapro. After trying many different AD's Serzone unfortunately was the one that finally worked for me and then they withdrew it from the market.
>
> AD's and me don't get along very well. I have been hesitant to try the Neurontin, not wanting to go through side affects and all, but some of your posts are encouraging me to take it for my anxiety. I currently take Xanax .5 mg 3-4 times a day. Does anybody take Xanax with the Neurontin? He is starting me on a REAL low dose of 100 mg 3X day because he knows how sensitive I am to meds. Have been on Xanax for 15+ years and I don't see myself getting off of it anytime soon.
> Thanks for your insights and help:)

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes Snowie

Posted by Barbaracat on October 19, 2004, at 0:26:31

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes Deesent, posted by Snowie on October 17, 2004, at 18:16:02

Snowie,
My experience with Neurontin is similar to yours. It was prescribed for my fibromyalgia pain and although it doesn't do squat for the pain, it's wonderful for anxiety... when it works. When I first started, the effect was simply delicious, calm lovely soothing ease, just like what I always hoped for from benzos. 'At last!' I thought, prematurely.

It began to fade and I was up to 2,700mg a day. I think it puts on weight and causes constipation, but I'm also on other meds that do this. So I stopped and had no trouble stopping. Luckily, I'm not needing the extra help of anti-anxiety meds right now and take an oxazepam or valium only occasionally. I've tried taking a break from Neurontin before and starting up again. Sure enough, it's blissfully potent for about a week and then starts to fade.

I read a few articles saying that Neurontin seems to retain it's anti-anxiety properties at lower doses. So you might try taking a break for 3 weeks (the general timeframe for receptors to adjust) and then keep it at a low dose as long as you can. - Barbara

> Unfortunately, although Neurontin works for me much of the time, it doesn't work all of the time to alleviate anxiety. Often it works better than benzos; other times it doesn't work at all. Go figure. Also, Neurontin by itself doesn't help me with social anxiety. In addition, I've gained weight since upping my dosage of Neurontin to 400 mg. 3 x a day, my libido has been non-existent, and I've had terrible tinnitis. Those side effects may or may not be caused by Neurontin, so I've started tapering it to see if the weight gain, libido, and tinnitis problems are side effects of the increased Neurontin (I feel my libido returning, so I'll see what happens). So far I haven't had any problems tapering from Neurontin (I've only been taking 1 400 mg. pill at night so I can sleep and I don't taper too quickly).
>
> Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps. Don't forget we're all different and what works for me may or may not work for you, and whatever side effects I may experience may or may not affect you in the same way. You won't know until you try it. However, if Neurontin does help you and you notice any of the side effects I mention above, try lowering your dose back to 100 mg. 3 x a day and see if they go away because for me it has been a good med.
>
> Snowie
>
> > My doctor prescribed Neurontin after I had to withdraw from Serzone and could not tolerate Lexapro. After trying many different AD's Serzone unfortunately was the one that finally worked for me and then they withdrew it from the market.
> >
> > AD's and me don't get along very well. I have been hesitant to try the Neurontin, not wanting to go through side affects and all, but some of your posts are encouraging me to take it for my anxiety. I currently take Xanax .5 mg 3-4 times a day. Does anybody take Xanax with the Neurontin? He is starting me on a REAL low dose of 100 mg 3X day because he knows how sensitive I am to meds. Have been on Xanax for 15+ years and I don't see myself getting off of it anytime soon.
> > Thanks for your insights and help:)

 

Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes Barbaracat

Posted by Snowie on October 19, 2004, at 6:51:45

In reply to Re: NEURONTIN - sometimes Snowie, posted by Barbaracat on October 19, 2004, at 0:26:31

Barbaracat,

Love your name! Snowie is my female cat's name (no my name isn't really Snowie, but I think it's cute...lol)

Yes, I totally agree with you. When Neurontin works, it works so great. When it stops, you tend to keep popping those pills until it does work. I guess I got up on many occasions to 1,600 mg. or more, which is too much for just anxiety. I see my pdoc on 10/21, so I will probably ask to try Xanax XR and I want to lower my Neurontin use to 100 mg. x 3, which should be plenty.

It's so strange how Neurontin works so well at times and at other times, like you wrote, it does squat. And, yes, when it works it has the same very calming effect as benzos do (sometimes even better!) - as smooth as butter. I'm having a little withdrawal right now from Neurontin, but not bad. I get a little tense around lunchtime but I try to eat a healthy protein meal, which sometimes calms me down, but other times I have to tough it out.

Snowie

> Snowie,
> My experience with Neurontin is similar to yours. It was prescribed for my fibromyalgia pain and although it doesn't do squat for the pain, it's wonderful for anxiety... when it works. When I first started, the effect was simply delicious, calm lovely soothing ease, just like what I always hoped for from benzos. 'At last!' I thought, prematurely.
>
> It began to fade and I was up to 2,700mg a day. I think it puts on weight and causes constipation, but I'm also on other meds that do this. So I stopped and had no trouble stopping. Luckily, I'm not needing the extra help of anti-anxiety meds right now and take an oxazepam or valium only occasionally. I've tried taking a break from Neurontin before and starting up again. Sure enough, it's blissfully potent for about a week and then starts to fade.
>
> I read a few articles saying that Neurontin seems to retain it's anti-anxiety properties at lower doses. So you might try taking a break for 3 weeks (the general timeframe for receptors to adjust) and then keep it at a low dose as long as you can. - Barbara


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.