Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 338109

Shown: posts 1 to 23 of 23. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Ritalin? Really?

Posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 12:54:51

Hi Guys,

I've just been prescribed Ritalin. I don't know anything about this med, except that it's often prescribed for ADD.

I currently take 20 mgs of Lexapro (for anxiety and depression)and 150 mgs of Wellbutrin, but have zero energy. I saw my pdoc this morning and he wants to replace the Wellbutrin with Ritalin.

My pdoc told me that if it does any of the following I should stop taking it:

-causes insomnia
-increases anxiety
-makes me feel jittery
-makes me hyper

Can anyone tell me how Ritalin makes you feel after you take it? What does it do for you attention span and energy levels? What are some of the most common side effects? I would really appreciate hearing other peoples experiences.

Thanks!

K.

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex

Posted by chemist on April 20, 2004, at 13:25:47

In reply to Ritalin? Really?, posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 12:54:51

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've just been prescribed Ritalin. I don't know anything about this med, except that it's often prescribed for ADD.
>
> I currently take 20 mgs of Lexapro (for anxiety and depression)and 150 mgs of Wellbutrin, but have zero energy. I saw my pdoc this morning and he wants to replace the Wellbutrin with Ritalin.
>
> My pdoc told me that if it does any of the following I should stop taking it:
>
> -causes insomnia
> -increases anxiety
> -makes me feel jittery
> -makes me hyper
>
> Can anyone tell me how Ritalin makes you feel after you take it? What does it do for you attention span and energy levels? What are some of the most common side effects? I would really appreciate hearing other peoples experiences.
>
> Thanks!
>
> K.

hi k....ritalin will ``calm down,'' if you will, a person who truly has ADD (usually) thanks to a phenomena known as the paradoxical effect (you give someone a CNS but they don't get wired). a ``normal'' person would be - as advertised by your doc - jittery, restless, and have problems with sleep. ritalin is also use just as in your case, when you are taking something or have mood problems (e.g. depression) that cause you to lose focus or be generally out of it. dexedrine and adderall are the 2 other most commonly prescribed CNS in this regard. you can expect increased attention span, jitters at the outset of treatment, dry mouth, and you can avoid sleeping problems by dosing early in the day. hope this helps, and all the best, chemist

 

Re: Ritalin? Really?

Posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 14:20:43

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex, posted by chemist on April 20, 2004, at 13:25:47

Hi Chemist,

Thanks for your feedback, getting someone elses perspective on this really helps. That and it's always nice to know what to expect.

I'm also concerned about Ritalin given what a potent med it is. My pdoc was saying that it's in the same class of drugs as heroine and other stimulants. That puts me on edge a little bit.

I'll give it a try though, and your response has made me feel a lot more comfortable about taking it. Thanks.

K.

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex

Posted by chemist on April 20, 2004, at 14:35:51

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really?, posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 14:20:43

> Hi Chemist,
>
> Thanks for your feedback, getting someone elses perspective on this really helps. That and it's always nice to know what to expect.
>
> I'm also concerned about Ritalin given what a potent med it is. My pdoc was saying that it's in the same class of drugs as heroine and other stimulants. That puts me on edge a little bit.
>
> I'll give it a try though, and your response has made me feel a lot more comfortable about taking it. Thanks.
>
> K.

k, your doc is incorrect in re: ritalin being in the same class of drugs as heroin:heroin is diacetylmorphine, an opiate, a painkiller, and targets very different receptors than ritalin. ritalin is a central nervous system stimulant, and the addiction/abuse potential between the two drugs is way, way far. your first go-round with ritalin will likely mimic how you would feel if you drank a pot of coffee, but that said, ritalin (methylphenidate) is much, much ``cleaner'' in terms of what receptors it hits and the half-life for elimination. caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine (in coffee) are quite wide-ranging in terms of what parts of your system they effect. ritalin's mechanism of action is unknown but rest assured there are not nearly as many active metabolites hanging around as there are after that pot of coffee. also, dexedrine and adderall are both drugs of the amphetamine class; ritalin is not. that is not to say it is less dangerous, but maybe that is reassuring to you. start slow.....all the best, chemist

 

Re: Ritalin? Really?

Posted by aazospiro on April 20, 2004, at 16:27:29

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex, posted by chemist on April 20, 2004, at 14:35:51

For what its worth, Ritalin 10mg immediate release relaxed me soo much that I slept for 5 hours!!! When I took half the dose at the next dosing time, its really made me relaxed [not sleepy] and stimulated in a very strange but comfortable way.

By that I mean stimulated BUT NOT bouncing off the walls, or jittery, I guess a better word would me psychologically and to a lesser extent somatically motivated if you will. It was UNLIKE anything I'd ever took, except of course coffee. :~)))) Worked wonders for my agitation too!!

Try it and see what happens!
Goodluck!

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? aazospiro

Posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 17:17:09

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really?, posted by aazospiro on April 20, 2004, at 16:27:29

Hi Aazospiro,

I like the idea of something that is psychologically stimulating in a comfortable way. Your positive comments almost make me look forward to trying it. Thanks!

K.

 

Re: Ritalin? Really?

Posted by elleff on April 21, 2004, at 1:21:40

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? aazospiro, posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 17:17:09

Dear KathrynLex

you could check out this link too: http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methyl.htm

 

Re: Ritalin? Really?

Posted by KathrynLex on April 21, 2004, at 16:07:36

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really?, posted by elleff on April 21, 2004, at 1:21:40

Thanks for the link elleff. Does anyone else know of other links that have long-term ritalin research results? I hate taking pills without knowing what they're doing to my body. Thank you!

K.

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex

Posted by chemist on April 21, 2004, at 23:12:29

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really?, posted by KathrynLex on April 21, 2004, at 16:07:36

> Thanks for the link elleff. Does anyone else know of other links that have long-term ritalin research results? I hate taking pills without knowing what they're doing to my body. Thank you!
>
> K.
hey K.....go to www.pubmed.org and type in the keyword methylphenidate. the site is maintained by ncbi, and will give you (at least) abstracts of peer-reviened articles about ritalin. if all else fails, take a small dose, and remember, you are NOT addicted if you have to dump it soon after...all the best, chemist

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? chemist

Posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 6:20:52

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex, posted by chemist on April 21, 2004, at 23:12:29

Hi chemist, you seem to know a lot about Ritalin so hope you don't mind me asking about the following disappointment you may have insights on. (KathrynLex, I actually agree you should look forward to it though; something changed for me but I think it was somehow *just* me..).

Adult ADD was hypothesized for the first time ever for me in January, and I was put on 5 mgs which was amazing and like seeing clearly for the first time in years; able to make the small decisions in a day to stay functional that others make unconsciously. Could handle situations I had come to avoid because I would get overwhelmed by "factors," such as clothes shopping and going through piles of old boxes and junk around the home. Like another poster said, I was markedly calmed, no energizing effect per say. When my dose was raised to 10 mg I almost felt sedated as well. Was losing my tendency to feel I needed to fill pauses and dead air with uncomfortable rambling and attempts to entertain, all of which was like such a blessing.

I felt sure enough that I had finally stumbled on the right thing I needed to finally finally help get my life on track, that I told family and close friends what was up with the sudden improvement and everyone was so happy and so sure I would now sail as happily as possible off into the sunset of my previous problems.....Then.

After about six weeks or so the feeling drastically went another way. It's hard to even describe; I was just kind of staring and unhappy. Not speedy by any means (until pdoc said raise dose even more, that wasn't the answer). Just...awake but hopeless, tending towards anger, very strange. Started feeling more depressed than in a long time and was no longer getting the decision clarity or other benefits.

Pdoc assumed I sabotaged things but believe you me, I *SO* wanted this one in particular to be the one (to me, s/e profile is much lesser than most psy meds); and believed 110% it was showing itself to be. So the change came out of the blue. Why why why, any ideas? I know that as stated here, if someone takes Ritalin and didn't need it, they may be speedy or simply enjoy an energizing effect for a couple weeks, then it poops it. But that is never how it went, I felt the classic calming/sedation and clearer thinking.

I don't know if it's related but last year I apparently had a bad reaction to phentermine, which I guess is a nasty, junky 'diet' amphetamine. (I am only assuming that was the problem because taking it was the only change I'd made in any arena of my life, and I'd never had the symptoms that occurred around then before this.) It was so bad after a couple months of it that I still feel I did some kind of neuro damage. Was actually combining it with low dose trazodone, on "advice" of a diet doctor's website (yes, was stoopid of me and unneeded). Do you think that could be related?

As soon as I pick one, I plan to go to an endocrinologist, or preferrably a neuroendocrin. Want to just do the big medical-cause-investigation once and for all (RE above as well as for my depression itself). In the meantime, someone suggested that based on my experience w/ Ritalin, dexedrine may be better for me; does that make sense to you? I do not have a doc right now, but would love to hope that this type of med still might work for me...

Sorry for the ramble, just soooo unhappy that the effect went so bad for me, I had been soooo encouraged.... Thanks for any comments and KathrynLex, again, I sincerely mean it when I say this seems to be unique to me. Few have any idea what I'm talking about...

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why??

Posted by stellajones on April 22, 2004, at 20:47:45

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? chemist, posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 6:20:52

I know what your talking about.Ritalin was wonderful for about 2 months.I was calm and focused, then the calmness left and I was easily angered and hyper.Then full blown panic attacks and high blood pressure followed.I've stopped taking it.Dex was great on day 1,then days 2,3,and 4 I was glum and anxious.Stopped it because the depression was to much.Wellbutrin I gave up on as well because of anxiety and elevated high blood pressure.I need a med that will help my depression,ADD and fatigue.I don't know what to do.

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? spoc

Posted by chemist on April 22, 2004, at 22:06:49

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? chemist, posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 6:20:52

> Hi chemist, you seem to know a lot about Ritalin so hope you don't mind me asking about the following disappointment you may have insights on. (KathrynLex, I actually agree you should look forward to it though; something changed for me but I think it was somehow *just* me..).
>
> Adult ADD was hypothesized for the first time ever for me in January, and I was put on 5 mgs which was amazing and like seeing clearly for the first time in years; able to make the small decisions in a day to stay functional that others make unconsciously. Could handle situations I had come to avoid because I would get overwhelmed by "factors," such as clothes shopping and going through piles of old boxes and junk around the home. Like another poster said, I was markedly calmed, no energizing effect per say. When my dose was raised to 10 mg I almost felt sedated as well. Was losing my tendency to feel I needed to fill pauses and dead air with uncomfortable rambling and attempts to entertain, all of which was like such a blessing.
>
> I felt sure enough that I had finally stumbled on the right thing I needed to finally finally help get my life on track, that I told family and close friends what was up with the sudden improvement and everyone was so happy and so sure I would now sail as happily as possible off into the sunset of my previous problems.....Then.
>
> After about six weeks or so the feeling drastically went another way. It's hard to even describe; I was just kind of staring and unhappy. Not speedy by any means (until pdoc said raise dose even more, that wasn't the answer). Just...awake but hopeless, tending towards anger, very strange. Started feeling more depressed than in a long time and was no longer getting the decision clarity or other benefits.
>
> Pdoc assumed I sabotaged things but believe you me, I *SO* wanted this one in particular to be the one (to me, s/e profile is much lesser than most psy meds); and believed 110% it was showing itself to be. So the change came out of the blue. Why why why, any ideas? I know that as stated here, if someone takes Ritalin and didn't need it, they may be speedy or simply enjoy an energizing effect for a couple weeks, then it poops it. But that is never how it went, I felt the classic calming/sedation and clearer thinking.
>
> I don't know if it's related but last year I apparently had a bad reaction to phentermine, which I guess is a nasty, junky 'diet' amphetamine. (I am only assuming that was the problem because taking it was the only change I'd made in any arena of my life, and I'd never had the symptoms that occurred around then before this.) It was so bad after a couple months of it that I still feel I did some kind of neuro damage. Was actually combining it with low dose trazodone, on "advice" of a diet doctor's website (yes, was stoopid of me and unneeded). Do you think that could be related?
>
> As soon as I pick one, I plan to go to an endocrinologist, or preferrably a neuroendocrin. Want to just do the big medical-cause-investigation once and for all (RE above as well as for my depression itself). In the meantime, someone suggested that based on my experience w/ Ritalin, dexedrine may be better for me; does that make sense to you? I do not have a doc right now, but would love to hope that this type of med still might work for me...
>
> Sorry for the ramble, just soooo unhappy that the effect went so bad for me, I had been soooo encouraged.... Thanks for any comments and KathrynLex, again, I sincerely mean it when I say this seems to be unique to me. Few have any idea what I'm talking about...

hello, chemist here, and i apologize for not responding sooner. phentermaine is kind of lousy - as you note - although i doubt there was any permanent neurological damage. as for trazodone, don't beat yourself up about it: it's a sedating tricyclic antidepressant, i've taken it and abandoned it due to the very sedating properties. again, i don't think you've caused your brain any harm. in re: ritalin falling off after a while, i am befuddled. i take dexedrine 30 mg qd and find it just right for me. a somewhat less potent alternative is adderall. dexedrine and adderall are both *true* amphetamine (dexedrine is more potent, the ``right-handed'' enantiomer; adderall is a 50/50 mix of the less potent ``left-handed'' enantiomer and the aforementioned right-handed one). i think your plan to get the full work-up is excellent. i think you might find that dexedrine or adderall is the answer, or you might find that you need an additional med. sorry i cannot be of any further help, but please keep me informed of your progress....i wish you the best, chemist

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? stellajones

Posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 22:11:30

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why??, posted by stellajones on April 22, 2004, at 20:47:45

Sounds like we're in exactly the same place, and have the same problems to be treated too (although little criteria were used to diagnose ADD in me -- I know they're actually not mutually exclusive but I still think OCD spectrum may be all there is to the overheated thought processes). My blood pressure was high too for the first time ever, but when it was taken I had been off the Ritalin for a week, and had also quit working out during the prior year. Wellbutrin makes me very agitated with no mood lift as well (and is not good for OCD, I hear), and I don't want to try Effexor. After I get some medical testing done, if nothing is found, I'm thinking about looking into Strattera. In addition to treating ADD, it's supposed to have antidepressant effects for some. Have you thought about that at all?

---
> I know what your talking about.Ritalin was wonderful for about 2 months.I was calm and focused, then the calmness left and I was easily angered and hyper.Then full blown panic attacks and high blood pressure followed.I've stopped taking it.Dex was great on day 1,then days 2,3,and 4 I was glum and anxious.Stopped it because the depression was to much.Wellbutrin I gave up on as well because of anxiety and elevated high blood pressure.I need a med that will help my depression,ADD and fatigue.I don't know what to do.

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? chemist

Posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 22:39:24

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? spoc, posted by chemist on April 22, 2004, at 22:06:49

> phentermaine is kind of lousy - as you note - although i doubt there was any permanent neurological damage. as for trazodone, don't beat yourself up about it: it's a sedating tricyclic antidepressant, i've taken it and abandoned it due to the very sedating properties. again, i don't think you've caused your brain any harm.
---

Yes, now that I've found PB I see that cocktails are so common that it's hard to see how that combo could have been any big deal. But in a realm removed from psy issues, it's controversial. It's a combo proposed to replace the deadly phen-fen, and the AD half used could be prozac or others instead of trazodone. I tried it to avoid weight gain, rather than to lose, during a likely time for that which I was going through. Anyway after three months of varying usage, I got extreme vertigo, skin sensitivity, occasional erratic heartbeats, cold sensations so arctic that they were like standing in liquid nitrogen vapors, dramatic shift in sleep/wake timing (not total hours), loss of hair on my arms and legs, more....! It lasted for over a couple months after stopping and still recurrs to a lesser extent (and the hair never grew back). Never had any of that before, and nothing else had been different in my life so it's hard not to suspect the drug combo. Apparently it's not my thyroid or a connective tissue disorder. But this is why I obviously need to just go ahead and get a medical work up.

Anyway thanks for your response, I probably will ask to try an amphetamine next if possible, or maybe Strattera for the additional AD effect it can have. My former pdoc wanted to jump right to Effexor when I said (and he didn't believe) the Ritalin was feeling bad. I think there are surely many less loaded med trials to attempt before going to that!

====
> in re: ritalin falling off after a while, i am befuddled. i take dexedrine 30 mg qd and find it just right for me. a somewhat less potent alternative is adderall. dexedrine and adderall are both *true* amphetamine (dexedrine is more potent, the ``right-handed'' enantiomer; adderall is a 50/50 mix of the less potent ``left-handed'' enantiomer and the aforementioned right-handed one). i think your plan to get the full work-up is excellent. i think you might find that dexedrine or adderall is the answer, or you might find that you need an additional med. sorry i cannot be of any further help, but please keep me informed of your progress....i wish you the best, chemist

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? spoc

Posted by blondegirl47 on April 23, 2004, at 15:13:26

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? chemist, posted by spoc on April 22, 2004, at 6:20:52

In the beginning ritalin worked for me, but now it makes me sick to my stomach and no clarity what so ever. The up is so short lived and the crash is terrible.

You mentioned phentermine, I hope you weren't taking ritalin and phentermine at the same time. That's a good way to have a heart attack. Don't mean to sound preachy, but they are both pscycostimulants. Are you taking name brand or generic ritalin. Generic is worthless in my opionion. Dexedrine and adderall have worked much better for me. Food and what you are drinking with your medication can also effect how your meds work. No OJ, caffiene. Meds should be on an empty tummy. Should wait an hour before you eat anything.

I took trazadone for sleep, once. It was a bad trip...I laid in bed about 6 hours not able to move, but not able to sleep. When I fianlly did get up, it was very dizzy and had to lay back down quickly. I thought that I read it can cause weight gain...I could be mistaken though.

Good luck to you...sorry if I got preachy
Blondegirl

 

Re: suspicions of stimulant circuitry zapping blondegirl47

Posted by spoc on April 23, 2004, at 16:50:26

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? spoc, posted by blondegirl47 on April 23, 2004, at 15:13:26

> In the beginning ritalin worked for me, but now it makes me sick to my stomach and no clarity what so ever. The up is so short lived and the crash is terrible. >
---

I don't even feel what I'd call an 'up' anymore, just straight to alert distress!

---
> You mentioned phentermine, I hope you weren't taking ritalin and phentermine at the same time. That's a good way to have a heart attack. Don't mean to sound preachy, but they are both pscycostimulants.
---

No, it was a year apart and I wasn't taking anything for psy purposes at that time. The phentermine combined w/ trazodone or any of certain SSRIs is actually the diet philosophy of a supposedly well-respected physician who has a website, patent and has written books (none of which prove anything in themselves, I realize!). I had questioned him at length in emails, and was using his combo to avoid weight gain when I entered a particular prolonged situation in which my history of an eating disorder or at least binge eating is usually triggered.

I also found that while phentermine made me irritable as living heck by itself, in combo w/ traz it had a huge AD effect that I liked. So I took it awhile longer but never to lose weight and never did. Maybe this shows me I may like Ritalin again if I regularly took traz at night. But the "neuro" symptoms that followed the phen/traz and my delayed bad reaction to Ritalin the next year have me wondering if I toasted something in my circuitry. I hear phentermine really is considered garbage and was even "outlawed" in some countries.

---
> Are you taking name brand or generic ritalin. Generic is worthless in my opionion. Dexedrine and adderall have worked much better for me.
---

It was brand. But I look forward to maybe trying Dex or Adderall or Strattera at some point instead, and still am amazed that the pdoc who first proposed that I had ADD skipped all those and wanted to go straight to Effexor. Or never considered combining the Ritalin w/ something.

---
> I took trazadone for sleep, once. It was a bad trip...I laid in bed about 6 hours not able to move, but not able to sleep. When I fianlly did get up, it was very dizzy and had to lay back down quickly. I thought that I read it can cause weight gain...I could be mistaken though. >
---

I've had it around for years and take it maybe a couple times a month at 25 or 50 mgs. for sleep only. It does help me a lot with that, but more than two days in a row or waiting until late at night to take it will mess me up. But anyway, you're right that at doses therapeutic for depression it can definitely cause weight gain, but not at the above-mentioned sleep dosage.

---
> Good luck to you...sorry if I got preachy
> Blondegirl
---

Oh, not at all! You weren't, but even if you were, I appreciate and hope for all the comments I can get to a post, and appreciate having light shed on things I may not realize I am doing! Thanks. ;- )

 

Re: suspicions of stimulant circuitry zapping spoc

Posted by blondegirl47 on April 23, 2004, at 17:18:37

In reply to Re: suspicions of stimulant circuitry zapping blondegirl47, posted by spoc on April 23, 2004, at 16:50:26

Hi spoc

I think I forgot to mention that I was on phentermin(adipex) for about 2 years, it worked for weight loss for a very short time. I didn't realize at the time when I was taking it that my ADD got better. When I went off of it, I was all over the place. After a couple months of chaos I went to a psychologist to see what was wrong with me. To make a long story short, she sent me to a pdoc. Its been a long road of trying different medications and combinations. The doc that had me on phentermine wanted to put me on effexor. After I read the side effects, I said no way.
I hope you find what works for you. Diet can also make a big difference in my ADD. Lots of carbs and sugar zap me and my medication really bad.
Blondegirl

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why??

Posted by Cyleilo on April 24, 2004, at 8:30:18

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? spoc, posted by blondegirl47 on April 23, 2004, at 15:13:26

Does anyone know if this phenomenon of Ritalin working, then not working, happens with children who take it? We've been advised and are considering Ritalin for our 9 year old son, but we have a lot of anguish and trepidation about giving him any drugs at all. If it's a short lived solution and then he'll feel terrible, I definitely don't want to try it out on him. He's already in enough pain.

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? Cyleilo

Posted by spoc on April 24, 2004, at 11:32:19

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why??, posted by Cyleilo on April 24, 2004, at 8:30:18

> Does anyone know if this phenomenon of Ritalin working, then not working, happens with children who take it? We've been advised and are considering Ritalin for our 9 year old son, but we have a lot of anguish and trepidation about giving him any drugs at all. If it's a short lived solution and then he'll feel terrible, I definitely don't want to try it out on him. He's already in enough pain.
---
I am mostly guessing unfortunately, and oddly given my usual way of doing things, I didn't look extensively into Ritalin's spectrum when I was put on it. But, as far as feeling good on it for weeks and then having it backfire (like blondegirl and I were discussing), I *kind of* got the feeling that that is the exception. Just because my pdoc (who, I should add, I came not to trust!) acted like he had never heard such a thing, and when I posted about it here a few weeks ago there was no strong response backing up that this is typical. But then again only a couple responses came in.

I have gathered though that the ups and downs and crashes within a day that some get is fairly common. And that being on something like Adderall or Dex somehow helps avoid that. I have read that using the extended release version of Ritalin will not necessarily serve the same purpose, as in reality it is not released in a consistent way throughout the day as claimed; and that it often doesn't really last much longer than the regular. But I also wonder if there is a reason that -- and I could be very wrong here -- docs seem to lean towards trying Ritalin first. Somehow maybe it would be ideal *if* this was the one that worked for a given individual.

I don't know what the "advisability" of Strattera is for a first-line choice, but that would be another thing to ask your doc about. If you do, keep in mind that many say the titration that is typically advised by docs is in reality a recipe for disaster, and should be done much, much slower. Let me know if you ever need a link to that. And, I *think* Wellbutrin can be tried for ADD as well, although I don't know if that is going in the right procedural direction or not.

You might also want to post this as a separate thread sometime, maybe stating in your title that your child is the issue. For some reason it kinda seems like Ritalin/stimulants is a subject you need to wave more flags about to get lots of responses, more so than other meds posted about here. And, are you good at finding forums online? Maybe a reputable looking one that is geared towards parents would be helpful, although the quality of info for adults here is great.

Whatever you do, if you do some site searches using the Google search engine here, and then talk to your doc, you will probably be armed with a lot of good information to have him answer to. To help avoid the situation where someone is told no more than necessary, in order to get them to comply. If the doc is unwilling to address all your questions with patience, I'd wonder about him! Good luck!

 

Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? Cyleilo

Posted by spoc on April 24, 2004, at 17:29:55

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why??, posted by Cyleilo on April 24, 2004, at 8:30:18

Hi again, there is a poster at the following link right now who sounds like she may have some insights that could be helpful to you. Not that everyone's experience is the same, and I wouldn't want anything said here already, nor over there in the following post, to discourage you! ;- )

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20040423/msgs/339593.html

 

weight gain - ritalin withdrawal

Posted by Draisy on April 26, 2004, at 11:37:14

In reply to Re: Ritalin's effect changed. Why o why?? Cyleilo, posted by spoc on April 24, 2004, at 17:29:55

i've been taking ritalin for the past 5 yrs. i try to take med breaks every now and again.

i gain weight almost immediately when off ritalin. i am a dancer and dance 6 days a week, still gain weight, and feel unconfortable especially when i dance.

has anyone else experienced weight gain going off ritalin? the longest i stayed off ritalin was 3 months (a yr and a half ago.) i gained about 10 lbs but never lost it during the time i was off it.

My doc put me on wellbutrin as an alternative to ritalin for half a second and the same thing happened when i went off that.

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? to CHEMIST

Posted by bobbiedobbs on May 3, 2004, at 14:19:17

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? KathrynLex, posted by chemist on April 20, 2004, at 13:25:47

"Chemist" - I have read your posts in several strings, just want to say it is wonderful to have someone as knowledgeable, empathetic and willing to share their knowledge, also who communicates this succiently. Thank you on behalf of myself and others.

Phil

 

Re: Ritalin? Really? to CHEMIST bobbiedobbs

Posted by chemist on May 3, 2004, at 16:04:26

In reply to Re: Ritalin? Really? to CHEMIST, posted by bobbiedobbs on May 3, 2004, at 14:19:17

> "Chemist" - I have read your posts in several strings, just want to say it is wonderful to have someone as knowledgeable, empathetic and willing to share their knowledge, also who communicates this succiently. Thank you on behalf of myself and others.
>
> Phil

phil, thank you for the compliment....i take much more than i can give, and i try to provide information as accurately as possible...i do defer to others who are more in the know than i, and only hope that if any of the information i provide is erroneous that (at least) a fellow poster will correct me....thank you again, sincerely, chemist


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.