Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 335787

Shown: posts 1 to 19 of 19. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Sex, and these antidepressants

Posted by Jem on April 12, 2004, at 23:31:12

Yo, hi everyone.

Great site: amazing info.

I'm mild-moderate OCD/?depressed and have been on citalopram nearly a year and am sick of the decreased libido and delayed ejaculation.

A combination of my research on the net and guess-work seems to suggest that options to get rid of the sexual dysfunction side effect shld include (in order of likely efficacy?):

Switch to moclobemide
Citalopram [or other SSRI]+reboxetine combination (e.g. half dose of each or s'thing?)
Citalopram[or other SSRI]+buproprion combination (ditto?)
Switch to mirtazapine
Switch to buproprion

Apparently it's inadvisable to combine moclobemide with SSRIs.

So my question is, what reports and or advice and or opinions do people have about the above or the whole sexual dysfunction thing, please?

Thanks a lot, and be well,

Jem

 

Re: Sex, and these antidepressants Jem

Posted by Sad Panda on April 13, 2004, at 1:55:44

In reply to Sex, and these antidepressants, posted by Jem on April 12, 2004, at 23:31:12

> Yo, hi everyone.
>
> Great site: amazing info.
>
> I'm mild-moderate OCD/?depressed and have been on citalopram nearly a year and am sick of the decreased libido and delayed ejaculation.
>
> A combination of my research on the net and guess-work seems to suggest that options to get rid of the sexual dysfunction side effect shld include (in order of likely efficacy?):
>
> Switch to moclobemide
> Citalopram [or other SSRI]+reboxetine combination (e.g. half dose of each or s'thing?)
> Citalopram[or other SSRI]+buproprion combination (ditto?)
> Switch to mirtazapine
> Switch to buproprion
>
> Apparently it's inadvisable to combine moclobemide with SSRIs.
>
> So my question is, what reports and or advice and or opinions do people have about the above or the whole sexual dysfunction thing, please?
>
> Thanks a lot, and be well,
>
> Jem
>
>

Hi Jem,

I take Effexor which causes the same problems.
75mg is badly delayed orgasm for me.
150mg is no orgasm.

I then added Remeron(Mirtazapine) for sleep & found that:
150mg Effexor + 15mg Remeron = normal orgasm.
225mg Effexor + 30mg Remeron = normal orgasm.
300mg Effexor + 30mg Remeron = normal orgasm.

My libido is still long gone, but I function just fine when asked to perform. :)

A lot of people recommend adding Wellbutrin(Buproprion) to your SSRI to increase libido & restore normal orgasm, but I have no experience of it.

Biggest difference between the 2 is one is stimulating while the other is heavily sedating.

Cheers,
Panda.

 

Re: Sex, and these antidepressants

Posted by crazychickuk on April 13, 2004, at 5:48:45

In reply to Sex, and these antidepressants, posted by Jem on April 12, 2004, at 23:31:12

You could just add mirtazipan with it works wonders for sexual function..

 

Re: Sex, and these antidepressants

Posted by cybercafe on April 13, 2004, at 16:08:51

In reply to Sex, and these antidepressants, posted by Jem on April 12, 2004, at 23:31:12

> Yo, hi everyone.
>
> Great site: amazing info.
>
> I'm mild-moderate OCD/?depressed and have been on citalopram nearly a year and am sick of the decreased libido and delayed ejaculation.
>
> A combination of my research on the net and guess-work seems to suggest that options to get rid of the sexual dysfunction side effect shld include (in order of likely efficacy?):
>
> Switch to moclobemide
> Citalopram [or other SSRI]+reboxetine combination (e.g. half dose of each or s'thing?)
> Citalopram[or other SSRI]+buproprion combination (ditto?)
> Switch to mirtazapine
> Switch to buproprion
>
> Apparently it's inadvisable to combine moclobemide with SSRIs.
>
> So my question is, what reports and or advice and or opinions do people have about the above or the whole sexual dysfunction thing, please?
>
> Thanks a lot, and be well,

i challenge anyone to find an antidepressant better than parnate for increased libido

 

Re: Sex, and these antidepressants

Posted by snapper on April 14, 2004, at 1:52:32

In reply to Re: Sex, and these antidepressants, posted by cybercafe on April 13, 2004, at 16:08:51

> > Yo, hi everyone.
> >
> > Great site: amazing info.
> >
> > I'm mild-moderate OCD/?depressed and have been on citalopram nearly a year and am sick of the decreased libido and delayed ejaculation.
> >
> > A combination of my research on the net and guess-work seems to suggest that options to get rid of the sexual dysfunction side effect shld include (in order of likely efficacy?):
> >
> > Switch to moclobemide
> > Citalopram [or other SSRI]+reboxetine combination (e.g. half dose of each or s'thing?)
> > Citalopram[or other SSRI]+buproprion combination (ditto?)
> > Switch to mirtazapine
> > Switch to buproprion
> >
> > Apparently it's inadvisable to combine moclobemide with SSRIs.
> >
> > So my question is, what reports and or advice and or opinions do people have about the above or the whole sexual dysfunction thing, please?
> >
> > Thanks a lot, and be well,
>
> i challenge anyone to find an antidepressant better than parnate for increased libido
>

i wholeheartedly agree with the parnate thing!

 

Re:

Posted by Questionmark on April 14, 2004, at 9:00:47

In reply to Re: Sex, and these antidepressants, posted by snapper on April 14, 2004, at 1:52:32

> > i challenge anyone to find an antidepressant better than parnate for increased libido
> >
>
> i wholeheartedly agree with the parnate thing!


i concur.

 

Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life? Tx (nm)

Posted by Davex on April 15, 2004, at 12:53:05

In reply to Re:, posted by Questionmark on April 14, 2004, at 9:00:47

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life Davex

Posted by harryp on April 15, 2004, at 16:31:36

In reply to Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life? Tx (nm), posted by Davex on April 15, 2004, at 12:53:05

Parnate has negatively affected my physical sexual response. That's really the only side effect it has for me. I can still "function" fine though, and I have no trouble getting mentally aroused. The SSRI's killed both my interest and most of my ability.

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life

Posted by cybercafe on April 16, 2004, at 5:50:54

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life Davex, posted by harryp on April 15, 2004, at 16:31:36

> Parnate has negatively affected my physical sexual response. That's really the only side effect it has for me. I can still "function" fine though, and I have no trouble getting mentally aroused. The SSRI's killed both my interest and most of my ability.

in many cases, in increases libido and does not interfere with ability to perform, to the best of my knowledge (from reading this board for a few years and personal experience)

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life

Posted by jem on April 17, 2004, at 0:14:05

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life, posted by cybercafe on April 16, 2004, at 5:50:54

hi all

i note all the references to parnate. are these mostly from US consumers, where (as i believe) moclobemide is not available? otherwise, why would anyone prefer an MAOI to a RIMA? (excuse ignorance, if i'm showing it)

and what about reboxetine (edronax), mirtazapine (remeron) and bupropion (wellbutrin)? what reports do people have of the sexual side effects (and effectiveness) of these?

thanks a lot

jem

> > Parnate has negatively affected my physical sexual response. That's really the only side effect it has for me. I can still "function" fine though, and I have no trouble getting mentally aroused. The SSRI's killed both my interest and most of my ability.
>
> in many cases, in increases libido and does not interfere with ability to perform, to the best of my knowledge (from reading this board for a few years and personal experience)

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life » jem

Posted by cubbybear on April 18, 2004, at 4:55:50

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life, posted by jem on April 17, 2004, at 0:14:05


>
> i note all the references to parnate. are these mostly from US consumers, where (as i believe) moclobemide is not available?

Most probably. Parnate is available in the U.S. but Moclobemide is not.

otherwise, why would anyone prefer an MAOI to a RIMA? (excuse ignorance, if i'm showing it)

It's a good question. I can't give you a very technical pharmacological answer, but briefly, the RIMAS are good for producing few if any side effects and do not mandate dietary restrictions regarding tyramine content. However, since they bind to receptors less tightly, they're less stable and frequently, users have to continuously increase the dosage to maintain the anti-depressant effect.

Personally, I had miserable experience with Moclobemide (here in Thailand) since it made my depression worse. I've been using Parnate for 20 years, (I have to pick it up in the U.S. when I visit). I've never seen any negative effect on libido or performance from Parnate, contrary to negative reports from some people.

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life jem cubbybear

Posted by Jem on April 18, 2004, at 23:08:20

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life jem, posted by cubbybear on April 18, 2004, at 4:55:50

Cubbybear, thanks. So you don't get other adverse side-effects from parnate and can put up with the dietary restrictions?

Still interested in hearing about libido/orgasm side-effects and reboxetine (edronax), mirtazapine (remeron) and bupropion (wellbutrin) from anyone.

Cheers,

Jem

> >
> > i note all the references to parnate. are these mostly from US consumers, where (as i believe) moclobemide is not available?
>
> Most probably. Parnate is available in the U.S. but Moclobemide is not.
>
> otherwise, why would anyone prefer an MAOI to a RIMA? (excuse ignorance, if i'm showing it)
>
> It's a good question. I can't give you a very technical pharmacological answer, but briefly, the RIMAS are good for producing few if any side effects and do not mandate dietary restrictions regarding tyramine content. However, since they bind to receptors less tightly, they're less stable and frequently, users have to continuously increase the dosage to maintain the anti-depressant effect.
>
> Personally, I had miserable experience with Moclobemide (here in Thailand) since it made my depression worse. I've been using Parnate for 20 years, (I have to pick it up in the U.S. when I visit). I've never seen any negative effect on libido or performance from Parnate, contrary to negative reports from some people.

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life

Posted by cubbybear on April 19, 2004, at 10:28:15

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life jem cubbybear, posted by Jem on April 18, 2004, at 23:08:20

> Cubbybear, thanks. So you don't get other adverse side-effects from parnate and can put up with the dietary restrictions?
>
In my case, the adverse side effects orthostatic hypotension, blood pressure highs and lows, cravings for carbohydrates wear off after a while. Insomnia or reduced need for sleep seems to persist. With me, it was never very bad, and I even welcome the reduced need for sleep (being able to get by on about 5-6 hrs. per night) since I can always find things to do to keep occupied. If the insomnia is bad on a particular night, I'll take a small dose of a benzo drug like Xanax as needed.

With the dietary restrictions, I have no real craving for anything on the list EXCEPT the aged cheeses. I do miss these a lot. Thankfully, now I know that mozzarella cheese (in pizza), Gruyere, and Brie are safe, so the old blanket prohibition on all cheeses is wrong!!

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life jem

Posted by Sad Panda on April 19, 2004, at 12:07:37

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life, posted by jem on April 17, 2004, at 0:14:05

> hi all
>
> i note all the references to parnate. are these mostly from US consumers, where (as i believe) moclobemide is not available? otherwise, why would anyone prefer an MAOI to a RIMA? (excuse ignorance, if i'm showing it)
>
> and what about reboxetine (edronax), mirtazapine (remeron) and bupropion (wellbutrin)? what reports do people have of the sexual side effects (and effectiveness) of these?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> jem
>
> > > Parnate has negatively affected my physical sexual response. That's really the only side effect it has for me. I can still "function" fine though, and I have no trouble getting mentally aroused. The SSRI's killed both my interest and most of my ability.
> >
> > in many cases, in increases libido and does not interfere with ability to perform, to the best of my knowledge (from reading this board for a few years and personal experience)
>
>

Hi Jem,

The MAOI's Parnate & Nardil are very good AD's, possibly the best. Moclobemide has a reputation for being an ineffective AD & is only usefull to a handfull of people.

No one seems to know much about the effectiveness of Reboxetine. Mirtazapine & Bupropion are very mild/weak AD's & are more usefull as add-on to other meds. I take Effexor as my AD & Remeron as a sleeping tablet that solves some of the side effects caused by Effexor.

Cheers,
Panda.

 

Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life Jem

Posted by LyndaK on April 21, 2004, at 14:33:55

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life jem cubbybear, posted by Jem on April 18, 2004, at 23:08:20

I've been on Remeron (mirtazapine) nearly 2 years now and have experienced no libido/orgasm side-effects. It has worked wonders as an antidepressant for me, not sure if I'm in the minority on that though.

Lynda

 

Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! (nm) » LyndaK

Posted by cubbybear on April 22, 2004, at 6:05:55

In reply to Re: Do you mean that PARNATE don't affect sex life Jem, posted by LyndaK on April 21, 2004, at 14:33:55

 

Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! cubbybear

Posted by LyndaK on April 23, 2004, at 2:44:06

In reply to Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! (nm) LyndaK, posted by cubbybear on April 22, 2004, at 6:05:55

Thanks. I've been here, just not always contributing.

I've been doing really well on the Remeron. Now trying to taper off a bit and see how I do.

You seem to be doing well. Do you still have the same teaching job there in Thailand?

Lynda

 

Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! » LyndaK

Posted by cubbybear on April 23, 2004, at 8:50:41

In reply to Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! cubbybear, posted by LyndaK on April 23, 2004, at 2:44:06

> Thanks. I've been here, just not always contributing.
>
> I've been doing really well on the Remeron. Now trying to taper off a bit and see how I do.
>
> You seem to be doing well. Do you still have the same teaching job there in Thailand?
>
> Lynda

I'm still in Thailand but will be looking for a new school to teach in. I will post a note for you on PsychoSocial Babble either today or tomorrow (Sat). so we can get back in touch. Hope to talk to you then.
cubbybear

 

Redirect: Lynda, great to see you back here!

Posted by Dr. Bob on April 26, 2004, at 5:08:59

In reply to Re: Lynda, great to see you back here! LyndaK, posted by cubbybear on April 23, 2004, at 8:50:41

> I will post a note for you on PsychoSocial Babble either today or tomorrow (Sat). so we can get back in touch.

Here's a link:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20040422/msgs/339118.html

Thanks,

Bob


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.