Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 337545

Shown: posts 1 to 10 of 10. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

klonopin and prozac?

Posted by patricia leahy on April 18, 2004, at 21:07:22

havent written to a message board before today, so hope someone responds, i do get on here and read what you all have to say, so please someone help, I have GAD with panic attacks. pdoc ordered xanax for breakthrough attacks and 10mg of lexapro, i havent even taken one lexapro because after reading some of this stuff im scared stiff, like all of you the attacks are the worst let alone taking something that will make them more so, my sis says to try prozac and klonopine, what do you say?

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by shadows721 on April 18, 2004, at 21:49:28

In reply to klonopin and prozac?, posted by patricia leahy on April 18, 2004, at 21:07:22

I used this combo. Prozac is a SSRI like Lexapro. I found that Prozac flattened me out more than lexapro. It also caused about 15 pound wt gain and the sexual side effects hit about a year into taking it. Klonopin worked for me, but I did get physically dependent on it.

Lexapro has helped me stay calmer and less irritable, but it has played Hell with sexual enjoyment. The first weeks were very difficult for me. I had severe nausea, yawning constantly, and diarrhea occasionally. That all has passed. I just have the severe sexual disability now.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by KathrynLex on April 18, 2004, at 23:56:02

In reply to klonopin and prozac?, posted by patricia leahy on April 18, 2004, at 21:07:22

Hi Patricia,

I'm on 20 mgs of Lexapro and 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. I started taking 10 mgs of Lexapro in December because of panic attacks. I've gradually moved up to 20 mgs and added the Wellbutrin.

Several years ago I took Prozac for depression and loved it.

Pros: It has a wonderful enegizing effect that improved my concentration and lifted my mood. If you stop taking it cold turkey you won't experience any withdrawl.

Cons: Prozac was designed for depression, not anxiety attacks. (Although, it's sometimes prescribed for that.) If you have anxiety, there is a possibility that it will increase your anxiety during the first few weeks. But, that's why you have the Klonopin or Xanax.

As for Lexapro -

Pros: It's the newest med in the SSRI family (Prozac is also an SSRI) and is said to have the fewest side effects. (That wasn't my experience, but it varies from person to person.) It's wonderful for anxiety, and helps you control the negative thinking patterns that lead to anxiety and panic attacks. It's BOTH and antidepressant and an antianxiety medication.

Cons: The adjustment period is uncomfortable. (But tolerable.) You can't stop taking it cold turkey without experiencing withdrawl. Yes, it can increase your anxiety for the first few weeks that you take it. But again, that's why you have your Klonopin or Xanax and they're both very helpful.

My advice is this: If you're more depressed than anxious, take the Prozac. If you're more concerned with anxiety and panic attacks, take the Lexapro. Lex is really GREAT for stopping panic attacks. In my experience it takes about 20 mgs to help with anxiety and panic. Lower doses work better on depression.

I can understand why you're worried about the side effects of Lex. It's strange that an antianxiety medication can increase your anxiety for a little while. But it's temporary and goes away within the first 3-4 weeks.

I started taking Lexapro because I was having terrible panic attacks and would have given anything to get my life back. It turns out all I had to do was tolerate 3 weeks of side effects and a few increases, now the panic is gone. It's amazing that one little pill can do all that.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post. When I first started on Lexapro, I was hungry for any information I could get my hands on and it made the transition to meds a little easier. So, I hope this helps.

K.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by gheld on April 19, 2004, at 8:11:20

In reply to klonopin and prozac?, posted by patricia leahy on April 18, 2004, at 21:07:22

If you have only panic and no depression, why even consider an anti-depressant like Prozac or Lexapro. Stick with the anti-anxiety agents like Klonopin. There is enough of it the world to bring you down when you need it.

Also, is your sister a shrink? Or does she have some expertise in this area? Why not get advice from a professional who treats only panic/depression? Sometimes they are closely related.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by awatts on April 19, 2004, at 11:10:17

In reply to klonopin and prozac?, posted by patricia leahy on April 18, 2004, at 21:07:22

Do not be concerned with benzo dependance. It's not a big deal. Now, if you start depeloping tolerance, that could become a problem, because you may have to start increasing dosage.

Best route for most folks with GAD and panic attacks:
-Xanax, ONLY when you have a full-blown attack
-Klonopin, 0.5mg 2-4 times a day

Often mild depression is the result of constant anxiety and goes away with the above meds.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac? gheld

Posted by KathrynLex on April 19, 2004, at 15:11:01

In reply to Re: klonopin and prozac?, posted by gheld on April 19, 2004, at 8:11:20

Hi Gheld,

While I agree with you that Klonopin and Xanax are wonderful for anxiety, you're misinformed about Lexapro. Lex can be prescribed for both depression and anxiety. I'm being treated for anxiety and have had wonderful success with Lex.

Lex is also helpful because as you said, sometimes panic and depression are closely related and Lex is also an anti-depressant. And it's worth noting that Klonopin can actually cause depression in some people, which is whay it's usually a good idea to combine it with an SSRI.

K.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by patricia leahy on April 19, 2004, at 15:35:33

In reply to Re: klonopin and prozac?, posted by awatts on April 19, 2004, at 11:10:17


Thanks for the info, will talk to my pdoc

> Do not be concerned with benzo dependance. It's not a big deal. Now, if you start depeloping tolerance, that could become a problem, because you may have to start increasing dosage.
>
> Best route for most folks with GAD and panic attacks:
> -Xanax, ONLY when you have a full-blown attack
> -Klonopin, 0.5mg 2-4 times a day
>
> Often mild depression is the result of constant anxiety and goes away with the above meds.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by patricia leahy on April 19, 2004, at 15:39:42

In reply to Re: klonopin and prozac?, posted by gheld on April 19, 2004, at 8:11:20

>>thanks for the info, thats kind of what i thought, why take a anti-depressant for anxiety and panic??? just to cause more anxiety and panic. My sis is an expert in the field, just lives to far away. thanks again


If you have only panic and no depression, why even consider an anti-depressant like Prozac or Lexapro. Stick with the anti-anxiety agents like Klonopin. There is enough of it the world to bring you down when you need it.
>
> Also, is your sister a shrink? Or does she have some expertise in this area? Why not get advice from a professional who treats only panic/depression? Sometimes they are closely related.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac?

Posted by awatts on April 19, 2004, at 20:41:58

In reply to Re: klonopin and prozac? gheld, posted by KathrynLex on April 19, 2004, at 15:11:01

> Hi Gheld,
>
> While I agree with you that Klonopin and Xanax are wonderful for anxiety, you're misinformed about Lexapro. Lex can be prescribed for both depression and anxiety. I'm being treated for anxiety and have had wonderful success with Lex.
>
> Lex is also helpful because as you said, sometimes panic and depression are closely related and Lex is also an anti-depressant. And it's worth noting that Klonopin can actually cause depression in some people, which is whay it's usually a good idea to combine it with an SSRI.
>
> K.

K., you are correct, but the numbers are against you.
Yes, a very, very few people can be cured of anxiety with ADs. However, just about everybody responds to benzos - and benzos are cheap as dirt. The SSRIs and other newer ADs are very expensive.
Benzos work in hours. SSRIs work in months. Xanax and Klonopin work for virtually everyone. You may have to try 5 or 10 different ADs over more than a year to find one that works for you.
Klonopin causes depression in VERY few folks. Most do feel fatigue with Klonopin, but it almost always goes away in 2 or 3 weeks.

The big negative with benzos is abuse potential, but anyone who wants to abuse drugs can easily obtain illegal ones. Remember, it is also illegal to deliberately abuse legally prescribed drugs - and is equally unwise.

 

Re: klonopin and prozac? awatts

Posted by KathrynLex on April 20, 2004, at 11:56:37

In reply to Re: klonopin and prozac?, posted by awatts on April 19, 2004, at 20:41:58

Hi Awatts,

You raise a valid point, benzos are quite effective and many people have had a lot of success with them. I know I have, I take Klonopin and Xanax on an as needed basis and am quite grateful for them.

I think that AD's can be effective for mild anxiety while more extreme anxiety calls for benzos. And of course, it depends on what the individual responds to. Some people can't take Xanax or Klonopin because it's too intense for them, while others take AD's like candy and it does nothing for their anxiety.

You're definitely right that abuse is possible with any med.

In the end, I think people should take whatever works the best for them, be it benzos or SSRI's.

K.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.