Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 330066

Shown: posts 30 to 54 of 131. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? - francesco

Posted by snapper on April 4, 2004, at 13:29:52

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? - francesco snapper, posted by katia on April 4, 2004, at 4:15:22

Hi Katia, if you are diagnosed as BP then there is a very good chance that you may have a 'co-morbid' disorder along with the primary disorder as well. For example- Many people who have BP II , like my self- tend to have a cluster of BP II -Social Anxiety and many times OCD as well - what a nasty trio of things going on in our heads... You may or may not have OCD- and if you want to know for sure then just do a search on the net for OCD and look past the normal symptoms of repeatingly wanting to wash your hands or checking the door a thousand times or making sure the stove is off a bunch of times etc. OCD in my experience, manifests itself in MANY different ways in different people- also the mere diagnosis of BP disorder can mimic the symptoms of OCD. Hope that helps clarify things. All I know is that OCD sufferers do tend to be overwhelmed with intense overload of sensory stimuli, etc. But so do ADD and ADHD people, it is hard to figure out. But to me there is just so much overlap in all these disorders!!
Snapper

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869

Posted by SLS on April 4, 2004, at 13:33:38

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work?, posted by Althea8869 on April 4, 2004, at 10:39:34

> .. it must be pointed out that 1) The placebo effect must not be underestimated - the very act of thinking that a medication is going to work for you can often cause improvement

Whenever I hear this, I wonder how precisely the participants in the study are screened for an unequivocal biological depression. For instance, would the rate of placebo response be the same between DST suppressors and non-suppressors? What about the more severe cases that display psychomotor retardation? I would love to see a study testing for the placebo effect among exclusively DST non-suppressors.

BTW, you did a marvelous job with your post.


- Scott

 

OCD or BP? snapper

Posted by katia on April 4, 2004, at 16:09:43

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? - francesco, posted by snapper on April 4, 2004, at 13:29:52

> Hi Katia, if you are diagnosed as BP then there is a very good chance that you may have a 'co-morbid' disorder along with the primary disorder as well. For example- Many people who have BP II , like my self- tend to have a cluster of BP II -Social Anxiety and many times OCD as well - what a nasty trio of things going on in our heads... You may or may not have OCD- and if you want to know for sure then just do a search on the net for OCD and look past the normal symptoms of repeatingly wanting to wash your hands or checking the door a thousand times or making sure the stove is off a bunch of times etc. OCD in my experience, manifests itself in MANY different ways in different people- also the mere diagnosis of BP disorder can mimic the symptoms of OCD. Hope that helps clarify things. All I know is that OCD sufferers do tend to be overwhelmed with intense overload of sensory stimuli, etc. But so do ADD and ADHD people, it is hard to figure out. But to me there is just so much overlap in all these disorders!!
> Snapper

Hi Snapper,
Does OCD ever go away on it's own or change faces?
When I was little, I HAD to have my room in tip top shape, even w/ my little purse hanging just right on the door handle before I went to sleep. My mother would have to shut the door just right or I'd go bazeerk if the purse moved off center. I don't have that anymore though. Wierd, back then, no one questioned that behavior (70's). At least not my parents. Something was making me out act like that, whether it had to do w/ my environment or in my head.

I also had very intense phobias, like fear of losing a leg, losing my hair, getting cancer, spiders, etc. All about when I was 10/11. Then as a teenager, I went wild. My room was a disaster and I no longer needed order. In fact chaos ruled and then came panic attacks and depression. So who knows. You're right. They all look the same (these disorders) and it could very well be BP symptoms.
thanks for you input.
Katia

 

Re: OCD or BP?

Posted by snapper on April 4, 2004, at 16:51:00

In reply to OCD or BP? snapper, posted by katia on April 4, 2004, at 16:09:43

> > Hi Katia, if you are diagnosed as BP then there is a very good chance that you may have a 'co-morbid' disorder along with the primary disorder as well. For example- Many people who have BP II , like my self- tend to have a cluster of BP II -Social Anxiety and many times OCD as well - what a nasty trio of things going on in our heads... You may or may not have OCD- and if you want to know for sure then just do a search on the net for OCD and look past the normal symptoms of repeatingly wanting to wash your hands or checking the door a thousand times or making sure the stove is off a bunch of times etc. OCD in my experience, manifests itself in MANY different ways in different people- also the mere diagnosis of BP disorder can mimic the symptoms of OCD. Hope that helps clarify things. All I know is that OCD sufferers do tend to be overwhelmed with intense overload of sensory stimuli, etc. But so do ADD and ADHD people, it is hard to figure out. But to me there is just so much overlap in all these disorders!!
> > Snapper
>
> Hi Snapper,
> Does OCD ever go away on it's own or change faces?
> When I was little, I HAD to have my room in tip top shape, even w/ my little purse hanging just right on the door handle before I went to sleep. My mother would have to shut the door just right or I'd go bazeerk if the purse moved off center. I don't have that anymore though. Wierd, back then, no one questioned that behavior (70's). At least not my parents. Something was making me out act like that, whether it had to do w/ my environment or in my head.
>
> I also had very intense phobias, like fear of losing a leg, losing my hair, getting cancer, spiders, etc. All about when I was 10/11. Then as a teenager, I went wild. My room was a disaster and I no longer needed order. In fact chaos ruled and then came panic attacks and depression. So who knows. You're right. They all look the same (these disorders) and it could very well be BP symptoms.
> thanks for you input.
> Katia
>

Hi Katia, yes OCD can change the way it presents it self over time-- It seems that when I was young, and OCD first presented itself I was also afraid of 'things'! Afraid of household cleaners (chemicals) potential poisons etc. As I grew older I new that their were some thing about me that were quirky- But the OCD just kinda laid in the background and then teen years and early adulthood I figured out that masking a lot of my phobias and fears etc-came in the form of alcohol!I exp my 1st major dep. episode when I was 23-and then my OCD flaied up and had some specific phobias etc. When I came out of that episode and I started my own Business and was blessed with extrordinary success-but I had to 'always be in control' perfectionism set in and I found it hard to deligate responsibility to others-who were ,most likely capable of taking care of the day to day biz affairs-when I would go on vacations to get away from my "self emposed" standards of orderliness and perfectionism-- I would find it was very hard to relax and found Myself calling back to my office to see if everything was going ok or just right!!! Not to bore you but the mere fact that I felt I had to be in control of things to be done in precise order, was part of my eventual demise and downfall
ongoing tension, stress, anxiety and of course depression. I also helped myself self- destruct - by continuing to medicate-with alcohol and then of course another OCD spectrum disorder> Pathological gambling!! When I was semi-manic or feeling just right!! I felt invincible at blackjack and found my self to be hyper-perceptive in playing the game-I could most always
"Win and make huge gains! However , cuz of the repetetiveness of the OCD I never felt that 'It' was enough- so even if I could turn $50 into $500 or a few hundred into several thousand, IT WAS NEVER ENOUGH !! IT was not just greed it was the fact that I just wanted to play "ONE MORE HAND" and ultimately in the end the 'tables turned ' and the house won . Then instead of me playing with the Casinos' money and being satisfied with my winnings, I would end up losing tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars over a 5-6 year period!! The river boat casinos' here in my town -were ultimately ONE of the very biggest facors in my emotional collapse. Between the addiction of alcohol and the destuctive behaviour of needing to go back to the Casinos'- tore me down-I lost everything- banned my self from the casinos' (a state law that allows permanent banning from all the casinos's in Missouri- if I walk on to one and they ask me for ID- the system is immediately flagged that I am on the Black List and security will immediately come and arrest me for "Tresspassing" - I HAD to do this becasue I was either going to kill myself through the addictive behaviour or by the rediculous and sometimes fraudulent ways of obtaining more $$$$ to continue to Gamble- I AM DAMN LUCKY I AM NOT IN JAIL AND I HAVE VERY LOVING AND UNDERSTANDING PARENTS/FAMILY!So in regards to OCD manifesting itself in many different ways; yes It certainly does!!! Not everyone w/OCD has these probems-obviously but I am sure that there are literally millions of people out there who are having extreme and painful problems in life with respect to the self defating and VERY destrucive behaviours. I'm sorry If I've gotten off track here- I tend to do that- that in itself -at least in myself is a clear indication of OCD--- The need to feel that all details are NOT left out and the story needs to be explaind just right! It is very hard but am trying to re-build my life one step at a time !! Hope you don't suffer to the extent that I have described but hopefully may give you some insight into things that might be able to help yourself or potentially others out there - I firmly believe that If you "know whats wrong" you can work more effectively at correcting and fixing the things that are wrong!!! Your original ?, yes sometimes OCD and its ugly symptoms do lessen to a great degree or go away altogether for some!!
snapper

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work?

Posted by Althea8869 on April 4, 2004, at 22:34:08

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869, posted by SLS on April 4, 2004, at 13:33:38

Scott - please excuse my acronym ignorance, but what is DST?

Never the less, your point is well taken. I also wonder about the inclusion/exclusion criteria. I see two significant problems. First, it doesnt appear that the trials process is representative of our current body of knowledge on neurological disorders. We are way past the 'one size fits all' mentality which I suspect governed much of the process as recently as five years ago. Clinical testing must become far more targeted and precise - we have enough knowledge now to be well along this path and yet we are not. Second, the pharmaceuticals are still far too involved in the process. After submission for clinical testing, they should be completely divorced from the process, having no input or control over any part of either the trials or the corresponding reports of results.

Solve these problems and two things will happen: we will have far more accurate data about efficacy and response rates across the whole spectrum of neurological disorders, and, we will introduce a measure of integrity into a system which few patients currently trust.

Just my thoughts.
Hope you had a nice Sunday.
Take it easy.

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869

Posted by SLS on April 5, 2004, at 8:11:17

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work?, posted by Althea8869 on April 4, 2004, at 22:34:08

> Scott - please excuse my acronym ignorance, but what is DST?

DST = dexamethasone suppression test

Dexamethasone is a synthetic cortisol. In a negative feedback loop arrangement, ACTH secreted by the pituatary gland stimulates the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol. In healthy people, an increase in the blood level of cortisol signals the pituitary gland to reduce its output of ACTH. So too does the introduction of dexamethasone. However, in a sizable percentage of people diagnosed with major depression, dexamethasone fails to suppress the secretion of ACTH. The negative feedback loop fails to limit cortisol production. The DST was investigated intensively during the 1980s, and was used to aid in the diagnosis of endogenous depression.

Some studies suggest that people who are non-suppressors (abnormal) are statistically more severely depressed and, perhaps more importantly, more likely to respond to ECT or medication than suppressors.


- Scott

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? SLS

Posted by Althea8869 on April 5, 2004, at 9:28:11

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869, posted by SLS on April 5, 2004, at 8:11:17

Fascinating! Apparently I have not been keeping up with my homework here. Why is this test not more widely utilized as a marker? Is it a cost issue(no insurance coverage) or is it a safety issue for the patient or possibly a question of validity of findings and causal relationships.

Need to do some research. I'll check back later.
Thanks Scott.
Take care.

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? SLS

Posted by simus on April 5, 2004, at 11:16:38

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869, posted by SLS on April 5, 2004, at 8:11:17

Scott,

I am trying to digest this info. The reason being, I have always wondered if what I really needed to go to was an endricrinologist years ago instead of a psychiatrist for the sudden onset of anxiety/panic attacks. It just felt more like an adrenaline flood than a "mental" illness, which made me wonder about the proper function of the adrenal glands. I have also wondered if my hypothalamus was working properly (strong intolerance to heat).

I don't know how familiar you are on the topic, but I will run this past you. I have never had total success on a SSRI. The best success I have up to 3 months ago had was on a SNRI. Now on Wellbutrin alone, I feel great emotionally. But I have some symptoms that I think appear to be adrenal related. For instance, extreme edema, and a sudden onset of pain/achyness/stiffness. I am grasping at straws here, but I thought I would throw this all at you to see what you knew.

Thanks in advance. God bless.

 

Re: OCD or BP?

Posted by jdgjdg on April 5, 2004, at 21:56:44

In reply to OCD or BP? snapper, posted by katia on April 4, 2004, at 16:09:43

I have both OCD and BP I. It took a long time for my pdoc to diagnose the bp because I withheld a lot of information from her because I was afraid. OCD can and often does come and go. It seems to have triggers(and often doesn't have any triggers) just as any other disorder. OCD is primarily characterized by disruptive thoughts that cause you to repeat rituals such as hand washing, checking the door, locks, oven,etc. There are also many other compulsions that someone can have. Someone with OCD can also have what they call avoidance compulsions. That is simply avoiding a situation that causes the thoughs to race out of control. I can describe it best like this: When I am obsessing, it's like having a song stuck in my head. It just won't go away. The more I try to get the scary thought out of my head, the more I keep thinking of it. To make the thought go away, I will check and re check the windows, doors, and locks to insure my safety. My obsessions are usually about my safety. The more I check, the worse the obsessive thoughts get. Does this make sense? There is a website you can visit. www.ocfoundation.org I think you will find it useful. Jenn

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work?

Posted by snapper on April 5, 2004, at 23:04:08

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869, posted by SLS on April 5, 2004, at 8:11:17

> > Scott - please excuse my acronym ignorance, but what is DST?
>
> DST = dexamethasone suppression test
>
> Dexamethasone is a synthetic cortisol. In a negative feedback loop arrangement, ACTH secreted by the pituatary gland stimulates the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol. In healthy people, an increase in the blood level of cortisol signals the pituitary gland to reduce its output of ACTH. So too does the introduction of dexamethasone. However, in a sizable percentage of people diagnosed with major depression, dexamethasone fails to suppress the secretion of ACTH. The negative feedback loop fails to limit cortisol production. The DST was investigated intensively during the 1980s, and was used to aid in the diagnosis of endogenous depression.
>
> Some studies suggest that people who are non-suppressors (abnormal) are statistically more severely depressed and, perhaps more importantly, more likely to respond to ECT or medication than suppressors.
>
>
> - Scott

> Hi Scott, you are correct on the DST thing. At least in my experience. When I had the DST done in 1992' and was almost disappointed that it came back as normal, so to speak. I thought, how come that test came back neg. for me. I wanted a real reason for why I felt so awful. I thought it was a definitive type thing but we obviously know it is not!! Would'nt it be nice if it were that simple?
snapper

 

Re: OCD or BP? jdgjdg

Posted by katia on April 5, 2004, at 23:38:37

In reply to Re: OCD or BP?, posted by jdgjdg on April 5, 2004, at 21:56:44

Yes, you make perfect sense. I don't really experience that though. I can see how one could get stuck in that spiral tho'. To me, it's the anxiety that would make the thoughts go round and round, feeling like I was not in control, but being controlled and caged by this tormenting thought/song...The more I could let go and not let it torment me, the less it would become. We're prisoners to the fear of something controlling/caging us. I think that's a big part of it. And so then you do something to alleviate it - enter in the compulsion side.

For me it's more about noise. I feel caged and induces anxiety when I'm stuck listening to unpleasant sounds. or a wierd one is when people jitter or shake their legs. it's been murder being a student. I'm surrounded by people shaking their legs during class. I can't explain it, but it drives me insane. I remember the first time it bothered me when I was 11 in a classroom and a big boy next to me shook his leg sooo fast all the time it drove me mad. And since then I can't take it (I'm 33!). It induces anger, intolerance, a feeling of being caged and subjected to torture. perhaps it's too stimulating for me? I dunno. it's very odd indeed. Who knows. it could be some unconscious association w/ a trauma that happened for me at that time - although I don't remember what the trauma is?!
I just figured I had a touch of OCD to have such a wierd making crazy thing like shaking legs!
Katia

 

Re: OCD or BP? katia

Posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 0:25:06

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? jdgjdg, posted by katia on April 5, 2004, at 23:38:37

> For me it's more about noise. I feel caged and induces anxiety when I'm stuck listening to unpleasant sounds. or a wierd one is when people jitter or shake their legs. it's been murder being a student. I'm surrounded by people shaking their legs during class. I can't explain it, but it drives me insane. I remember the first time it bothered me when I was 11 in a classroom and a big boy next to me shook his leg sooo fast all the time it drove me mad. And since then I can't take it (I'm 33!). It induces anger, intolerance, a feeling of being caged and subjected to torture.

I understand exactly. There are things that trigger me too, like soup slurping. I literally have to leave the room if someone is slurping their soup. Or there are those who can't seem to take a drink of something without following it EVERY TIME with an "Ahhhh". Or the people who can't sneeze without some sort of a shreiking noise - that they insist they can't control it. Even the "kissing noises" on TV during a romantic scene ruin the show for me. And then there are the "gum snappers" in church, of all places. Sometimes it irritates me to the point of being afraid that I won't be able to contain myself. I know it is really MY problem, but just telling yourself to ignore it DOES NOT WORK!!!

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? SLS

Posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 0:35:48

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? Althea8869, posted by SLS on April 5, 2004, at 8:11:17

Scott,

You have some very intriguing information. What is your source?

 

Re: OCD or BP? simus

Posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 2:59:55

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? katia, posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 0:25:06

Have you been dxed w/ OCD? B/c what you described sounds like me. What is it about this intolerance of people's annoying habits that drive us around the bend? I don't get it. But it is a form of torture.
Katia

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? snapper

Posted by SLS on April 6, 2004, at 8:02:10

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work?, posted by snapper on April 5, 2004, at 23:04:08


> > Hi Scott, you are correct on the DST thing. At least in my experience. When I had the DST done in 1992' and was almost disappointed that it came back as normal, so to speak. I thought, how come that test came back neg. for me. I wanted a real reason for why I felt so awful. I thought it was a definitive type thing but we obviously know it is not!! Would'nt it be nice if it were that simple?
> snapper


I know.

The DST is by no means specific and sensitive enough to be a global test for biological depression. Many people with biological depression do show normal suppression. I guess this is yet another indication that "depression" is a multifactorial presentation, the exact etiology of which is complex and varies from individual to individual.

I can only guess how you must have felt when your DST came back normal. The results did not "vindicate" you of having any control or responsibility for your mood states, which you in fact have very little. It must have been confusing and unsettling.


- Scott

 

Re: Do antidepressants really work? simus

Posted by SLS on April 6, 2004, at 8:11:07

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? SLS, posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 0:35:48

> Scott,
>
> You have some very intriguing information. What is your source?

Hi Simus.

DST has been around for a long time. It is used not only for depression, but for other cortisol abnormalities as well. Your best bet is to do a search on google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dst+depression


Here is a review that helps verify the validity of the DST for identifying endogenous depressions, both unipolar and bipolar:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8909334

Have fun.


- Scott

 

Re: OCD or BP? katia

Posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 12:16:58

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? simus, posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 2:59:55

> Have you been dxed w/ OCD? B/c what you described sounds like me. What is it about this intolerance of people's annoying habits that drive us around the bend? I don't get it. But it is a form of torture.
> Katia

Yes, and I have been like this as far back as I can remember. I wish I wasn't this way. I am not judgemental and these are really nice people. I just can't stand their "noises". Maybe instead of drugs, the doc should give me earplugs. lol Actually, it does work. =) When my first daughter was born, she had colic and a very, very high pitched scream. I thought I was going to lose my mind for about a month, until I bought some earplugs.

 

SLS - thanks (nm)

Posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 12:22:10

In reply to Re: Do antidepressants really work? simus, posted by SLS on April 6, 2004, at 8:11:07

 

Re: OCD or BP? simus

Posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 14:54:31

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? katia, posted by simus on April 6, 2004, at 12:16:58

>>
> Yes, and I have been like this as far back as I can remember. I wish I wasn't this way. I am not judgemental and these are really nice people. I just can't stand their "noises". Maybe instead of drugs, the doc should give me earplugs. lol Actually, it does work. =) When my first daughter was born, she had colic and a very, very high pitched scream. I thought I was going to lose my mind for about a month, until I bought some earplugs.
>

So, having these things that drive us crazy means OCD? I don't really have the compulsion side though. Do you? I own mannnny ear plugs! I can't even imagine having to endure a baby screaming and HAVING to be there and play mother and be patient w/o losing my mind and killing us both!
Good job in maintaining!
Katia

 

Re: OCD or BP?

Posted by snapper on April 6, 2004, at 17:54:56

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? simus, posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 14:54:31

> >>
> > Yes, and I have been like this as far back as I can remember. I wish I wasn't this way. I am not judgemental and these are really nice people. I just can't stand their "noises". Maybe instead of drugs, the doc should give me earplugs. lol Actually, it does work. =) When my first daughter was born, she had colic and a very, very high pitched scream. I thought I was going to lose my mind for about a month, until I bought some earplugs.
> >
>
> So, having these things that drive us crazy means OCD? I don't really have the compulsion side though. Do you? I own mannnny ear plugs! I can't even imagine having to endure a baby screaming and HAVING to be there and play mother and be patient w/o losing my mind and killing us both!
> Good job in maintaining!
> Katia

Hey Katia, the mere fact that things get on our nerves more so than others might be too simplistic I do know for sure that it is possible for ocd to potentially evolve into "primarally obsessional ocd" ie: obsessions but no apparent compulsions-however if you look deeper into the actual symptoms many times you will find that the obsessions are not the only thing present-but compulsions as well!! If you want, post me back and I'll try to explain what I mean.All I know is this:Since being off of FXR since last May or June 2003 I have been painfully aware of my obsessions and minor compulsions-its' Helllllll- I hate the idea that I might have to go back on effexor to control these problems, but it might be a neccessity
snapper

 

Re: OCD or BP? snapper

Posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 21:01:36

In reply to Re: OCD or BP?, posted by snapper on April 6, 2004, at 17:54:56

Hi,
Yes I would like to hear more about that.
The other interesting thing is, when I was on Effexor, I had less obsessions like this. things didn't bother as much. However, I couldn't tolerate it for 1. I'm BP (come to find out afterwards) and 2. I got those electrical shock w/drawals happening EVEN while ON it. much less, the w/drawal was a NIGHTMARE. Is there anything else that does it?
I guess I have forgotten to mention these things to my pdoc. I guess i should. I was so caught up in my mood swings scenario that I forgot this aspect over the past year seeing him.
Katia

 

Re: OCD or BP?

Posted by snapper on April 6, 2004, at 22:20:18

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? snapper, posted by katia on April 6, 2004, at 21:01:36

> Hi,
> Yes I would like to hear more about that.
> The other interesting thing is, when I was on Effexor, I had less obsessions like this. things didn't bother as much. However, I couldn't tolerate it for 1. I'm BP (come to find out afterwards) and 2. I got those electrical shock w/drawals happening EVEN while ON it. much less, the w/drawal was a NIGHTMARE. Is there anything else that does it?
> I guess I have forgotten to mention these things to my pdoc. I guess i should. I was so caught up in my mood swings scenario that I forgot this aspect over the past year seeing him.
> Katia

Katia had this great post in reply to yours and after 10-15 min of composing it -- I lost it damn!!
Anyhow check out this link http://psycheducation.org; The Dr. who owns it is very knowledgable and goes into detail on how Bipolararity-OCD-and Social phobia all inter-relate to ea other!! Check it out and let me know what you think!!
If you have any other specific ?'s re OCD just post me and i'll try to answer you to the best of my ability!! I def do not claim to have all the answers.I am not an expert but have done quite abit of research and am starting to get a feel for what is going on!! So I guess that you could say that I am *obsessed* with trying to figure things out! oh yah the other link is http://www.ocdla.com
snapper

 

Re: OCD or BP? snapper

Posted by katia on April 7, 2004, at 2:46:03

In reply to Re: OCD or BP?, posted by snapper on April 6, 2004, at 22:20:18

Hey,
I clicked on most of the links for OCD and I can say that at one time in my life, I've experienced a few of them; i.e. body dysmorphic, panic attacks, hypochroniac, and phobias (spiders and ticks). But I tell you, everything under this OCD heading I feel I've gotten control over. Like I have outgrown a lot of it. I hate to say it that way, as though I had a hand in it (as tho' it's something I can control). But I really read thru' those categories and about 1/3 applied to me. And mostly in my teens/late teens and twenties. I have definitely developed a coping capacity. I have done a lot of meditation and so forth and wonder if this has to do w/ it. I've done so much work on mind over matter type of stuff that I think it's paying off, which feels good.

Again, I could say at one time in my life, I can answer yes to about a 1/3 of those questions and subcategories of OCD. But now, I feel more developed in a sense. Like I don't let it get to me. And I feel blessed for that. Who knows what's around the bend though!

This is my question then about OCD. Does it come and go? I know my mood swings (BP) are also correlated w/ how "neurotic" I am w/ sound and noises. (that's my obesession - noises). I'm way more tolerant when I'm feeling stable mood wise. I guess mine is more of an offshoot from the mood disorder?
Katia

 

Re: OCD or BP? katia

Posted by simus on April 7, 2004, at 7:23:39

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? snapper, posted by katia on April 7, 2004, at 2:46:03

> This is my question then about OCD. Does it come and go? I know my mood swings (BP) are also correlated w/ how "neurotic" I am w/ sound and noises. (that's my obesession - noises). I'm way more tolerant when I'm feeling stable mood wise. I guess mine is more of an offshoot from the mood disorder?
> Katia

I get worse during times of stress, lack of sleep and not eating properly, and it varies depending on med. I have found that once the OCD med kicks in, I still have to make a conscious effort to overcome the habits that the OCD started (for instance, I can refuse to recheck to see if the doors are locked, iron is unplugged, etc.)

 

Re: OCD or BP?katia

Posted by snapper on April 7, 2004, at 12:42:18

In reply to Re: OCD or BP? snapper, posted by katia on April 7, 2004, at 2:46:03

Hey Katia, I'm glad you checked those links out and it made some sense to you. In regards to the noise thing, I can only therorize that any time we are having a hard time with mood swings and 'hyper-excitability' in out brain cells---it is going to make all our senses *hyper-alert* almost an on guard type of thing. I believe that is what makes us so miserable. Also I am glad that you seemed to have overcome or outgrown a lot of your problems. I am having a hell of a time right now with noise etc-I almost constantly have to have my cd/headphones on everyday to drown out the noise or lack of the correct type of noise! It sucks!! The telephone ringing kills me
and I specifically don't have one in my bedroom for that reason and I also do not use an alarm clock cause I have so much trouble staying in a good sleep, that I know I am going to wake up w/o one. Being overly sensetive to noises is called hyperacusis-anyhow I do know that when my moods get better and level out my noise thing tends to diminish to a large degree.I just seem to startle so easily -do you have the startle problem?
snapper
snapper


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.