Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 5053

Shown: posts 541 to 565 of 1838. Go back in thread:

 

Re: topomax

Posted by bridgey1128 on February 6, 2004, at 9:36:34

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by tmg on February 6, 2004, at 7:48:02

I think it has decreased mine a tad and I am only taking 50mg. I think pretty much all the antidepressants do that. Effexor upped it so that my HUSBAND couldn't keep up with me. But I wouldn't recommend that drug simply because of the withdrawl. My Dr said he had never heard of that side effect but my friend said she had the same thing happen to her.

 

Re: topomax

Posted by helenag on February 6, 2004, at 9:45:41

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by tmg on February 6, 2004, at 7:48:02

I've been on topamax nine months and am currently on 300mg a day. Am also on effexor at 300mg a day. So, I can't answer to the libido question of topamax since I am on both drugs.

I can say that the short term memory aspect of topamax is with me still. I do forget people's names from time to time, especially if I am stressed and tired. This is embarrassing at work. I don't forget names of people I work with closely, but other managers, etc., I have been known to completely blank out their names. Other things I blank out on are some of children's friends' names, brand names of the items I work with at work, sometimes even names of everyday items.
Still get numbness and tingling at times, too.

These side effects, especially the loss of memory, are a small price to pay for the mood stabilization I have found with this drug. It has helped me where other drugs have not.

 

Re: topomax tmg

Posted by dragonfly25 on February 6, 2004, at 14:29:09

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by tmg on February 6, 2004, at 7:48:02

I have no idea how common this is...but my sex drive has decreased significantly since coming off of topamax.

 

Re: topomax

Posted by Sooshi on February 7, 2004, at 9:38:52

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by tmg on February 6, 2004, at 7:48:02

Definately an increase in libido since starting Topamax for me......

 

Re: topomax Sooshi

Posted by dragonfly25 on February 7, 2004, at 12:36:13

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by Sooshi on February 7, 2004, at 9:38:52

So it isn't in my head? I couldn't figure it out and that was my only thought.

 

Re: topomax dragonfly25

Posted by Sooshi on February 7, 2004, at 21:21:23

In reply to Re: topomax Sooshi, posted by dragonfly25 on February 7, 2004, at 12:36:13

Oh no..it's not all in your head! Effexor dampened my libido, Topamax took it WAY back up. This is just my case and I doubt it's doing this for everyone. In any case, without being too graphic, I'm much more easily stimulated and reach the big "O" alot quicker! Yipee! So, it not only helped stabilize my mood and lose weight, but it increased my libido too (I swear I don't work for them.....)

 

Re: topomax Sooshi

Posted by aussie on February 8, 2004, at 19:47:26

In reply to Re: topomax dragonfly25, posted by Sooshi on February 7, 2004, at 21:21:23

This is my first ever post - a bit nervous!
I've been and am on serzone and effoxor andcan vouch for loss of libido. However I can second the other reader's finding of Topomax helping out on this score! I've just been on it awhile and already I'm interested again.........
Hopefully if Topomax helps me I can get off the serzone. :(
I kind of like the Effexor.
It was nice to read about Topomax taking somepeople's headaches away. I get two-three day atypical migraines. Kind of like a hang over but wihtout any alcohol!

 

Re: topomax

Posted by witchyminx on March 6, 2004, at 19:06:12

In reply to Re: topomax Sooshi, posted by aussie on February 8, 2004, at 19:47:26

My doctor is talking about prescribing me a mood stabilizier and/or possibly an antidepressant. My moods seem to need controlled more though. I wanted to bring this med up to him. I get migraines and heard tihs would help. I also heard it is used for keeping moods from getting out of hand. Plus after being on Elavil, I would love to lose the weight seeing as I gained 44 pounds on it (which made me more depressed). May other questions concerning this though, is I have high bood pressure. Has anyone had issues of it either going up or down on Topomax? And is the rest of my understanding seemingly correct. I would really love some feedback, bcs this seems too good to be true and it would solve quite a few problems for me at one shot if it is all true.

 

Re: topomax and voice changes witchyminx

Posted by headachequeen on March 7, 2004, at 13:03:56

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by witchyminx on March 6, 2004, at 19:06:12

> My doctor is talking about prescribing me a mood stabilizier and/or possibly an antidepressant. My moods seem to need controlled more though. I wanted to bring this med up to him. I get migraines and heard tihs would help. I also heard it is used for keeping moods from getting out of hand. Plus after being on Elavil, I would love to lose the weight seeing as I gained 44 pounds on it (which made me more depressed). May other questions concerning this though, is I have high bood pressure. Has anyone had issues of it either going up or down on Topomax? And is the rest of my understanding seemingly correct. I would really love some feedback, bcs this seems too good to be true and it would solve quite a few problems for me at one shot if it is all true.


dear heaven, I am beginning to sound like a one-woman ailment library here but I do have a problem with high blood pressure and have had for a long time...
it is controlled with meds and with the decline in my weight...
even with the new and lowered ideal numbers my blood pressure has stayed in the good numbers despite the topomax...
if this is any help to you
kat

 

Re: topomax and voice changes

Posted by miaorion07 on March 17, 2004, at 15:35:14

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes witchyminx, posted by headachequeen on March 7, 2004, at 13:03:56

I just started taking Topamax, I am starting at 25mg, and bumping it up to 50mg next week. I wonder has anyone experienced significant weight loss at this dosage. I am taking it for Migraines...but could use to lose some weight as well. Wondered if it had worked for anyone else. Please inform! Thanks! Oh by the way...does anyone else hate the way soda taste on this med, and does this fade?

 

Re: topomax and voice changes miaorion07

Posted by Sooshi on March 17, 2004, at 16:08:21

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes, posted by miaorion07 on March 17, 2004, at 15:35:14

Hi mia,
I didn't start losing until 100mgs, and then within a month or so I lost 16lbs, but haven't lost any since then. The weight loss tends to wear off like all the other side effects.

Soda tastes absolutely horrid, and still does, even now at 50mgs as I'm coming off of Topamax! I can't wait to drink a soda again!

Good luck with Topa!

 

Re: topomax and voice changes

Posted by headachequeen on March 17, 2004, at 22:31:41

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by witchyminx on March 6, 2004, at 19:06:12

> My doctor is talking about prescribing me a mood stabilizier and/or possibly an antidepressant. My moods seem to need controlled more though. I wanted to bring this med up to him. I get migraines and heard tihs would help. I also heard it is used for keeping moods from getting out of hand. Plus after being on Elavil, I would love to lose the weight seeing as I gained 44 pounds on it (which made me more depressed). May other questions concerning this though, is I have high bood pressure. Has anyone had issues of it either going up or down on Topomax?

>>>
I don't know about mood stabilising... don't know if anything could stabilise my moods...
right now I am suffering cabin fever in the extreme and need to do something to change that..
had planned to be out of here and out in the field training with the dogs but have to wait until after the next eye surgery and after the stitches are out and and and... that makes it into early April...now I have to wait until I see the neuro again about the possible med change and can't see him until 21 April... mood stabiliser??? there is nothing in the world can stabilise my moods right now...
however, migraine has been a successful battle for me with Topomax... almost sixteen months since I have had a migraine or a cluster headache... and I love the peace from pain, believe me!
the weight loss, for me, started with the 25 mg dosage
it was a minor loss but it was three pounds the first week...
while there are those who claim the weight side effect wears off, I know of people who have been off the med for years who still have not changed the food response or the appetite response and I know that my own weight and appetite have not changed and I have been on Topomax since mid-January of last year...
I am now fluctuating between 145 and 148 pounds...
and able to wear size eight jeans and need to look at size small when I choose cargo pants for training work... used to wear size sixteen jeans and large sweaters instead of the small blouses and shirts and sweaters I wear now...
I no longer look at clothes with the attitude that they must be big enough, instead I choose them with the thought that I hope they are going to fit properly and look tailored not sloppy or baggy...
had to give away such a pile of dress pants and blazers and skirts... and then had to go out and find new things that appealed to me...
not easy either... although I have decided to take some blazers (the suede ones) and a couple of skirts and slacks (the suede ones again) that the dogs are used to working with in the ring, to be altered...
I will not give up on favourites...
and I do not like to waste time shopping for clothes...
I have a bizarre taste in clothing at times... either I want to be tailored or really off the wall... radical or proper and I never know which one of me is going shopping at a given time LOL --
thank heaven some of the more bizarre choices in my wardrobe are wraparound skirts...
but the change means no more of the draw string waists...
there really is a change in the weight ... all the anti-depressant gained weight is gone...
my psychologist tells me that some of it is his doing.. he helped me to re-find my self esteem and to find myself... well, to start to find me any way and he thinks that helped...
in other words, liking me again makes me hate food???? I don't understand that one...
But the topomax seems to kill the appetite and the cravings for foods...
instead in my case it has substituted other cravings... if it is true that it eats up the vitamins, then it makes me crave fruit and green vegetables to replace them... and I eat gallons of yoghurt... and no protein is safe within a yard of me...
a couple of ounces of nuts substitutes for the chocolate and chips that used to be consumed by the carload...
strange...
but the other stuff I just don't want...

I hope it helps you too
kat

 

Re: topomax and voice changes

Posted by Maggie-VA on March 30, 2004, at 9:59:32

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes witchyminx, posted by headachequeen on March 7, 2004, at 13:03:56

I have been on Topomax for over 5 months and lost 37 pounds. I take it for seizures along with 600 mgs of Trileptal. I started out on 25 mgs a day and went up to 100 over the course of about 8 weeks. I had to reduce the dosage due to asthmatic symptoms, rare at best. I still have the hand/feet tingling and the word loss and loss of concentration, but alot less with the decrease in dosage and I am feeling more and more "normal" for the first time in 2 years.

At first, I hated all foods except eggs of all silly things. Eggs and water. I still can't stand sodas of any type. I don't eat sweets like I did, just don't have the craving for them. I can go with out eating everything on my plate and be satisfied. I don't hate the food any more, I just don't crave it. It is wonderful.

I am seizure free now for more than 7 months and looking better and feeling better about myself. The depression is lifting, but I can't say that it is strictly medication related or just that I feel better, who knows.

 

Re: topomax and voice changes Maggie-VA

Posted by headachequeen on March 30, 2004, at 11:44:58

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes, posted by Maggie-VA on March 30, 2004, at 9:59:32

> I have been on Topomax for over 5 months and lost 37 pounds. I take it for seizures along with 600 mgs of Trileptal. I started out on 25 mgs a day and went up to 100 over the course of about 8 weeks. I had to reduce the dosage due to asthmatic symptoms, rare at best. I still have the hand/feet tingling and the word loss and loss of concentration, but alot less with the decrease in dosage and I am feeling more and more "normal" for the first time in 2 years.
>
> At first, I hated all foods except eggs of all silly things. Eggs and water. I still can't stand sodas of any type. I don't eat sweets like I did, just don't have the craving for them. I can go with out eating everything on my plate and be satisfied. I don't hate the food any more, I just don't crave it. It is wonderful.
>
> I am seizure free now for more than 7 months and looking better and feeling better about myself. The depression is lifting, but I can't say that it is strictly medication related or just that I feel better, who knows.

Isn't it wonderful to be seizure-free...
I guess I cannot claim to be seizure-free actually... although I have gone several months at a time without the wretched experience...
and have this time been over a week without one...
oh joy and expect when Tegretol is out of my life to experience the pleasure again...

Topomax certainly moderated the seizure experience once I started taking it...
no more two or three a night and no more two or three a week... for a while I had eight months with no seizures and thought I had found paradise...
no migraines for over a year... that is wondrous indeed...

the weight loss is wonderful too...
and has certainly affected the manner in which I view myself...
I am not close to the size I was before the negative self-image and the depression entered into it.. well, I guess the negative self-image and the depression led to the weight increase, let's not put the cart before the horse, but the weight certainly increased both the self-loathing and the depression...
at the moment I almost like myself...
in fact there are days when I like myself almost all day!!!
Last night a friend I had not seen for several months dropped by and was amazed...
new hairstyle different clothing styles and new style me...
her daughter (a ten-year-old) was quite vocal in her admiration of the new me... and it was wonderful...
today I feel amazingly good about being me although for the past week I have had doubts about whether or not I liked me and being me...

as for the effect of Tegretol on food likes and dislikes...
I find no difference in the taste of soda (we call it pop up here <g>) but I do find that it doesn't have much appeal to me... it certainly did before...
but I am drawn to the protein foods, so much so that I asked several times if others found themselves craving protein....
eggs... I could eat them by the chicken factory...
scrambled, poached, fried... you name it....
I wanted to eat eggs...
chicken too, for that matter...

I no longer want sweets at all... I look at chocolate in stores and it has no appeal... even the Laura Secord chocolates and those wonderful Laura Secord Easter eggs with the yellow centres... and their butter mallow bars...
now that is incredible, sports fans!!!! I could never walk past a Laura Secord display without serious cravings... and never walk past without buying!!! I have not bought or eaten chocolate in months... and don't want any either...

and I, like you, can leave food on the plate, despite those starving children that were always haunting my childhood ... we were taught to clean our plates because of starving children somewhere and I was always offering to mail them the foods I did not like...
but now, not only do I not finish things that I do not like, I do not finish things I do like because I am not hungry enough to finish... and seldom ask for seconds of anything... and seldom if ever want or eat desserts...

life is changed indeed... and so am I...
no head-aches
few and milder seizures
less weight
and this weekend I am going into Ottawa to buy some new clothes for the summer because nothing fits...
kat

 

Re: topomax and voice changes headachequeen

Posted by headachequeen on March 30, 2004, at 11:56:24

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes Maggie-VA, posted by headachequeen on March 30, 2004, at 11:44:58


> life is changed indeed... and so am I...
> no head-aches
> few and milder seizures
> less weight


forgot to add that I feel more confident now
and since the Topomax am no longer afraid to do things, to go away for instance - used to be afraid that one of the seizures might occur while we were visiting or spending a weekend in a hotel...
and am also no longer afraid to be alone in my own home -- that was a serious problem that began to sort itself over the months in conversations with people on this list as I applied their advice and ideas to how I approached life...
and as the Topomax changed my sense of self...

it is not the miracle drug for all things...
hasn't cleared up my freckles or eliminated my asthma, and I am still scheduled for surgery tomorrow...
but hey! It does make a huge (no pun intended) difference in my life
kat
and sorry about the mistake in sending the empty message before

 

Re: topomax

Posted by JPS on April 5, 2004, at 4:46:36

In reply to topomax, posted by Ellen Brodie on April 19, 1999, at 15:58:40

I was sent to a neurologist with severe back pain and had an MRI and was diagnosed with a ruptured disc, pinched nerve and 2 more buldging disc about to rupture. I also suffer from chronic pelvic pain.

I was prescribed Topamax 2 weeks ago, 25 mg. the 1st week, went to 100 mg. the 2nd week and I can't tell I am even taking it. I have lost 8 lbs. and but I have gained alot of weight the last few years from not being able to excercise from the chronic pelvic pain so that was good I lost some weight. I also take 150mg. of Zoloft.

My question is, I see most on this site taking Topomax for depression,weightloss, etc., but don't see many taking it for pain other than migraine pain, just wondering how effective others have found it to be on pain? Maybe I need a stronger dose. He is giving it to me for pain and won't give me anything else for pain.

I found this warning on Topomax on another site and worry about taking too strong of a dose. I wonder if this is rare of is common. Here was the warning I found below:

TOPOMAX WARNING
A warning for those Topomax users who are having trouble with eye pain and blurriness;
Your eye pain and blurred vision is a reaction from the Topomax. Your eye pressure is high and if it stays high for a short period of time you will damage your optic nerve and become blind! I am not joking. Last week my husband started using Topomax. 1 week later he almost lost his eyesight as a reaction to it. The Topomax raised his eye pressure to the high fifties (normal is around 10) and no one knew how to treat it. Fortunately he was sent to the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston who is currently researching this side effect. His still cannot see and they are hoping he will regain his ability to see within 2 weeks.
If you start using Topomax and feel irritation in your eyes no matter how minor stop using and go to your doctors immediately!!! Not many doctors are aware of this newly discovered problem so refer them to the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary's research.

 

Re: topomax and voice changes JPS

Posted by headachequeen on April 5, 2004, at 11:14:34

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by JPS on April 5, 2004, at 4:46:36

> I was sent to a neurologist with severe back pain and had an MRI and was diagnosed with a ruptured disc, pinched nerve and 2 more buldging disc about to rupture. I also suffer from chronic pelvic pain.
>
> I was prescribed Topamax 2 weeks ago, 25 mg. the 1st week, went to 100 mg. the 2nd week and I can't tell I am even taking it. I have lost 8 lbs. and but I have gained alot of weight the last few years from not being able to excercise from the chronic pelvic pain so that was good I lost some weight. I also take 150mg. of Zoloft.
>
> My question is, I see most on this site taking Topomax for depression,weightloss, etc., but don't see many taking it for pain other than migraine pain, just wondering how effective others have found it to be on pain? Maybe I need a stronger dose. He is giving it to me for pain and won't give me anything else for pain.
>
> I found this warning on Topomax on another site and worry about taking too strong of a dose. I wonder if this is rare of is common. Here was the warning I found below:
>
> TOPOMAX WARNING
> A warning for those Topomax users who are having trouble with eye pain and blurriness;
> Your eye pain and blurred vision is a reaction from the Topomax. Your eye pressure is high and if it stays high for a short period of time you will damage your optic nerve and become blind! I am not joking. Last week my husband started using Topomax. 1 week later he almost lost his eyesight as a reaction to it. The Topomax raised his eye pressure to the high fifties (normal is around 10) and no one knew how to treat it. Fortunately he was sent to the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston who is currently researching this side effect. His still cannot see and they are hoping he will regain his ability to see within 2 weeks.
> If you start using Topomax and feel irritation in your eyes no matter how minor stop using and go to your doctors immediately!!! Not many doctors are aware of this newly discovered problem so refer them to the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary's research.
>

I think this would have been mentioned before this if the reaction were as damaging ????
so is this a one time or a one-person side effect?
certain drugs and certain everythings affect some people differently than others...
the oh heavens I forget what he is called but he i the doctor treating my vocal cords prescribed a spray that made me so ill the first time I used it -- I never tried it a second time and would certainly tell the world not to use it ever...
I was convinced that I was going to die before the side effects of the stuff wore off...
others including people I know use it with no problems...
different people have different reactions...

I use topomax and I have eye problems including pressure involving my eyes BUT I repeat BUT
the pressure on the eye existed long before topomax entered my life...
and the pressure is being dealt with through surgery...
are they sure the pressure is not glaucoma-related? is it not related to other problems? is it definitely caused by the topomax or is another problem exacerbated by the topomax?

In my case the problem is being dealt with through surgery... three down and three to go and the topomax does not make it worse...
wonder if the topomax is easing the pain as I have not needed the pain meds they prescribed nearly as much as I was led to believe...
interesting area for thought there...

I did do the redhead thing and get infection in the eye that had the lesser surgery... the eye that required almost two hours of work is almost healed (only five days since the surgery) and the left eye which had about forty-five minutes if that is a mess ... and hurts like blazes)...
typical redhead... arrgghhh

but I would want a lot more info than that which was posted there...

and I wonder if the weight loss would help ease the back pain you suffer too... as well as pain meds...

if you gained weight because of chronic pain then the weight loss that usually comes with topomx might add to the easing of the pain... just a thought...
it was something my orthopaedist suggested when I started to lose weight...
there was this argument I had with a boat when I was a teen-ager... boat was bigger and I lost causing damage to my some discs and my lower spine and my years on a rifle range caused some damage to the sterno-clavicular joint that he has also been treating...
he had been suggesting weight loss as a help for a long time...
and felt I was finally listening I think :(
kat

 

Re: topomax

Posted by bridgey1128 on April 5, 2004, at 12:45:44

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by JPS on April 5, 2004, at 4:46:36

WHOAH! They started you on 25 and then bumped you up immediately to 100mg the next week????? OMG my Dr did that from 25mg to 50mg after a week and I lost my eyesight. Luckily Kat did tell me that it would go away if I went back down and sure enough it did but MAN did my eyes HURT!! I looked like I had been in a boxing match or had been stung by a bee. My eyes were bloodshot and swollen and I could feel that my eyes were elongated and my iris' were sticking out. It was HORRID! I couldn't see and it was so painful. I had to close my eyes for 2 days. I called my Dr and the pharmacist but neither knew what was going on..gee thanks!! So YES it is a side effect but if you go back down on the dosage it will go away. You just need to go up SLOWLY on the drug. I actually noticed more weight loss and appetite reduction on the 25mg than on the 50mg and up. I am currently on the 100mg and I have noticed that I have not lost any weight due to the Topomax nor has my appetite decreased because of it. I have noticed that I have become less emotional at stuff(besides my own life. That seems to be as emotional as ever) I am not as touched by things as I used to be which is strange. I have been more easily depressed. I can't tell that it is working as well as it was before...I dunno. I am losing weight but I am back on Atkins. It's the only diet that has worked for me. I've lost 10lbs in the past 2 weeks. Anyway, thought I would put my 2 cents in about the eyesight thing..hasn't happened since thank God!!

 

Re: topomax and voice changes bridgey1128

Posted by headachequeen on April 5, 2004, at 21:01:44

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by bridgey1128 on April 5, 2004, at 12:45:44

> WHOAH! They started you on 25 and then bumped you up immediately to 100mg the next week????? OMG my Dr did that from 25mg to 50mg after a week and I lost my eyesight. You just need to go up SLOWLY on the drug. I actually noticed more weight loss and appetite reduction on the 25mg than on the 50mg and up. I am currently on the 100mg and I have noticed that I have not lost any weight due to the Topomax nor has my appetite decreased because of it. I have noticed that I have become less emotional at stuff(besides my own life. That seems to be as emotional as ever) I am not as touched by things as I used to be which is strange. I have been more easily depressed. I can't tell that it is working as well as it was before...I dunno. I am losing weight but I am back on Atkins. It's the only diet that has worked for me. I've lost 10lbs in the past 2 weeks. Anyway, thought I would put my 2 cents in about the eyesight thing..hasn't happened since thank God!!

>>>WHOAH! They started you on 25 and then bumped you up immediately to 100mg the next week????? OMG my Dr did that from 25mg to 50mg after a week and I lost my eyesight. <<<

Yoooicckksss!!! I missed that... good thing that Bridgey is on the ball here... and a bump from 25 to 100 at that let alone in so short a time...
scarey stuff... small increments over longer periods of time is the only way to go... the only SAFE way to go... and that is the only way to avoid the harmful side effects in general...

we have all found that out...

When I was first put on Topomax the neurologist gave me a sheet of directions that included a chart outlining the time frame in which I should increase the dosage... 25 mg increases no faster than 2-week intervals and in the evenings only to begin with; I misread it and started in the mornings... and I was sooo sick... then I read the directions and switched to evenings and I was fine...
the instructions included the information that I was to proceed at my own inclination, or my own speed or some such statement... but NO FASTER than the 2-week increments...
if I felt better at 3-week intervals that was fine; 4-week increments? fine too... but no faster... and he told me that this was vital for the sake of my own success on the medication and to avoid problems with it...
He is the head of the head-ache institute or whatever it is called as well as my particular neurologist and has been very involved in the study of the use of the med so is very careful in prescribing it and very definite in how he wants it used...
he is very definite about everything... short man and a real Napoleon syndrome lol although I think based upon what I have come to know of his abilities his arrogance may be based upon his abilities; rather like the surgeon who is dealing with my eyes. He too is arrogant, but the arrogance is because he knows his field -- he is also tremendously compassionate and the mix is solid and sound...
when there is a concern or a fear these two arrogant men are there and listening and aware of the need...
wish I could say the same for some of the others I have met along this journey...
sometimes I think I would rather be treated by my vet!
if we do not take these things slowly then the side effects get out of control and take the upper hand and we give up -- or the side effects cause serious problems...
I am starting into month sixteen on Topomax and am comfortable with the results and with the medication... the weight loss I like although I have to admit that there is a problem with the clothing side of things but this too shall be remedied at some point...
had my hair washed at the salon today.. new stylist complained constantly about the thickness of my hair and having to deal with it, wanted to thin it out -- I take that as meaning there is no hair loss about which I have to worry...
so I am not to worried...
but she also trimmed it...
now I wanted radical , but I do not interpret radical as SHORT.... it will take me a year to get this long enough to need a trim... or to know if any has fallen out...
so no need to worry I guess :(
now to see what the neurologist prescribes on Wednesday to substitute for Tegretol...
someone asked once if I would consider an increase in Topomax...
the answer is yes... as long as any increase is in low increments over a slow time period
but I will NOT give it up... out of the question...
kat

 

Re: migraine control and weight loss

Posted by jdgjdg on April 5, 2004, at 21:43:36

In reply to Re: migraine control and weight loss bridgey1128, posted by headachequeen on January 14, 2004, at 15:58:30

My pdoc just switched me from Depakote ER 1500mg to Topamax for Bp I. I have had signifigant weight gain in just 2 months on Depakote so I asked her to switch me. I am just starting the Topamax tonight. She said to decrease the Depakote to 1000mg and start 50mg of Topamax for 5 days, then 5 days with 500 Depakote and 100 Topamax and then stop the Depakote all together and increase the Topamax to 150mg. After that and 5 days at 150mg she is going to do blood work to test my blood levels and liver enzymes just as she did with the Depakote to see if this is a good maintenance dose. I'm really hoping this helps me to loose the weight I gained on the Depakote plus an extra 20lbs I have been carrying around for a few years. Has anyone else had similar experiences they would like to share? Jenn

 

Re: topomax and voice changes jdgjdg

Posted by headachequeen on April 5, 2004, at 21:55:08

In reply to Re: migraine control and weight loss, posted by jdgjdg on April 5, 2004, at 21:43:36

> My pdoc just switched me from Depakote ER 1500mg to Topamax for Bp I. I have had signifigant weight gain in just 2 months on Depakote so I asked her to switch me. I am just starting the Topamax tonight. She said to decrease the Depakote to 1000mg and start 50mg of Topamax for 5 days, then 5 days with 500 Depakote and 100 Topamax and then stop the Depakote all together and increase the Topamax to 150mg. After that and 5 days at 150mg she is going to do blood work to test my blood levels and liver enzymes just as she did with the Depakote to see if this is a good maintenance dose. I'm really hoping this helps me to loose the weight I gained on the Depakote plus an extra 20lbs I have been carrying around for a few years. Has anyone else had similar experiences they would like to share? Jenn


Read Bridgey's previous post...
too much too fast is too dangerous...
kat

 

Re: topomax and voice changes

Posted by Maggie-VA on April 6, 2004, at 7:11:27

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes jdgjdg, posted by headachequeen on April 5, 2004, at 21:55:08

I couldn't agree more. It took me 8 weeks to get from 25 mgs to 100. Please take it easy with this stuff.

Maggie-VA

 

Re: topomax and voice changes Maggie-VA

Posted by headachequeen on April 6, 2004, at 7:43:01

In reply to Re: topomax and voice changes, posted by Maggie-VA on April 6, 2004, at 7:11:27

> I couldn't agree more. It took me 8 weeks to get from 25 mgs to 100. Please take it easy with this stuff.
>
> Maggie-VA

It took me eight weeks too...
and I am really happy that it did...
kat

 

Re: topomax

Posted by JPS on April 6, 2004, at 8:38:45

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by JPS on April 5, 2004, at 4:46:36

Explained to my Dr. I wasn't getting any pain releif from the Topomax for my ruptured disc and pinched nerve, (I also have chronic pelvic pain)which I take Zoloft 150 mg. He refused to give me anything else for the pain.

If you remember he started me at 25.mg one week, went to 100mg. the next week (last week). I've been reading all of the warnings on here about going up to fast on dosage, I ask him for Lortab, I mean if a ruptured disk and pinched nerve isn't something that requires pain meds I don't know what is, oh no, he won't hear of it, he says, up the dose of Topomax to 150mg.

I see it this way, he's not here at my house, I had already told him of my concern of that much of a increase in dosage that fast, so I just nodded and I don't plan on taking the 150mg. like he ordered. I'll just continue the 100mg. What do you guys think?

I'm 45 min. away from another neurologist, with my back pain I can't drive that far right now. Why is it so hard to get pain meds for real pain? I understand Dr.'s concern for addiction, but we're talking about medically necessary here.

Signed,
Discouraged :(

 

Re: topomax pain JPS

Posted by headachequeen on April 6, 2004, at 16:00:23

In reply to Re: topomax, posted by JPS on April 6, 2004, at 8:38:45

> Explained to my Dr. I wasn't getting any pain releif from the Topomax for my ruptured disc and pinched nerve, (I also have chronic pelvic pain)which I take Zoloft 150 mg. He refused to give me anything else for the pain.
>
> If you remember he started me at 25.mg one week, went to 100mg. the next week (last week). I've been reading all of the warnings on here about going up to fast on dosage, I ask him for Lortab, I mean if a ruptured disk and pinched nerve isn't something that requires pain meds I don't know what is, oh no, he won't hear of it, he says, up the dose of Topomax to 150mg.
>
> I see it this way, he's not here at my house, I had already told him of my concern of that much of a increase in dosage that fast, so I just nodded and I don't plan on taking the 150mg. like he ordered. I'll just continue the 100mg. What do you guys think?
>
> I'm 45 min. away from another neurologist, with my back pain I can't drive that far right now. Why is it so hard to get pain meds for real pain? I understand Dr.'s concern for addiction, but we're talking about medically necessary here.
>
> Signed,
> Discouraged :(

I don't wonder that you are discouraged...

has anyone else ever used topomax for pain?
I saw my surgeon this afternoon for a follow-up visit regarding the eye surgery... and the next date was set sigh... he has no ideas about its use as a pain med either...
as far as he is concerned if two regular strength Tylenol taken every four hours don't deal with the pain when he sends a patient home then the patient should come right back to see him...
now that is a new slant on the whole idea...
he was also annoyed because I hadn't called when I was concerned about the swelling over the left eye...
kept telling me that is why he has a phone and a pager...
what a novel approach...
wish he would bite some of the other doctors I know...
then maybe we would have some solid answers about this...

so topomax and pain, what do we know about it?????

kat


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.