Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 259757

Shown: posts 41 to 65 of 103. Go back in thread:

 

SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 2:28:22

In reply to Re: New to this Whole Wellbutrin Thing } Missy85, posted by redscarlet on October 14, 2003, at 22:16:02

Wellbutrin has worked for my anxiety as well as depression & it does not make me tired at all. It has been great for me. I am on 150 mg 2 times a day (but I forget the 2nd dose alot) I am swtiching to the XL now. The only thing is that since I miss my second dose of 150 most nights, I am afraid the once a day of 300 will seem like a lot. Does anyone have a suggestion?? I could take the 150 of xl to start, but I have to get the whole prescription changed now. HELP or advice would be great*

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by femlite on October 25, 2003, at 8:36:56

In reply to SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 2:28:22

If you havent had a lot of side effects from WBsr 2x a day you will probably be fine.
I started on WBsr 2x day and had lots of nasty SE. But the bennifit of having energy again motivated me to endure. After 2 1/2 weeks I was switched the WBxl and had only minimul side effects return. The XL seems to be smoother in delivery some how. Maybe my experience is completely subjective but Ive been happy with it.
I am still experiencing some side effects , mosly cognitive ones, so I may be switching to something else. Im in school and need to retain all the brain power I can.
best

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 12:57:20

In reply to SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 2:28:22

How often do you forget that second dose? My opinion is that you should start off going for a two weeks faithfully taking that second dose before switching.

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 12:59:21

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 12:57:20

what about starting the xl on 150mg once a day? I am out of the 150 sr.

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 13:40:22

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 12:59:21

> what about starting the xl on 150mg once a day? I am out of the 150 sr.

It has been my experience with Wellbutrin that the side-effects can be tolerated if you build up slowly, like 2 x 100mg SR a day for two weeks, then 2 x 150mg a day. Whenever my (old) doctor started me on 2 x 150mg SR I had awful insomnia and snapped at people all the time. It was so weird: my kids would be doing something annoying that I'd usually be patient about for a while, but when I started WB with a highest dose from the get-go my irritability would ramp up in seconds and I'd snap at them. This would be so bad I'd stop taking WB. But I digress...

So, sure in my opinion, 150mg XL for a couple weeks, then 300mg XL should be tolerable.

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 14:02:38

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 13:40:22

> It has been my experience with Wellbutrin that the side-effects can be tolerated if you build up slowly, like 2 x 100mg SR a day for two weeks, then 2 x 150mg a day. Whenever my (old) doctor started me on 2 x 150mg SR I had awful insomnia and snapped at people all the time. It was so weird: my kids would be doing something annoying that I'd usually be patient about for a while, but when I started WB with a highest dose from the get-go my irritability would ramp up in seconds and I'd snap at them. This would be so bad I'd stop taking WB. But I digress...
>
> So, sure in my opinion, 150mg XL for a couple weeks, then 300mg XL should be tolerable.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE/OPINION!!
I too get snappy at times on it. I guess I never really linked the two together. I just thought I was a highly irritable person. But I have a 2 & 3 year old...they need me all the time, every minute. I am pretty "normal" on the wellbutrin other than the irritablility factor. It really helps my depression and anxiety, even though some people can't take it for anxiety. I chose to tkae it because zoloft, paxil, etc. made me really fat and too mellow! DO YOU TAKE ANYTHING NOW??? *NK
>

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:15:16

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 14:02:38

I took Wellbutrin SR (150mgx2) for over a year 9 years ago (doctor #1); tried to take it 2 years ago (doctor #2, gave up because of the irritability); tried to take it 1 year ago (doctor #2, gave up because of the irritability); and have started on it again (doctor #3). The last two attempts I was nowhere near as 'depressed' as I am now. I put it in quotes because I mostly have a very hard time concentrating (what day is it today?), my short term memory sucks (forget where I put things), I eat too much, I would sleep too much if I could, and I get mild panic attacks and agoraphobia (in other words: atypical depression). My current doctor thinks I might be BP-II, as many believe that those of us previously dx with atypical depression and dysthymia actually have BP-II. This might make sense for me.. Anyway, I digress...

I re-started Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago. This time (new doctor because I moved) I started off at 100mg x 2 and had no side effects except for a few mild headaches. After two weeks I bugged my doctor to increase my dose, which she did to 150mgx2. I've been on that a week now and have colorful dreams and a little constipation. I'm not sure if I have insomnia as I've been taking 25mg of trazadone or 2 generic Benadryls at bedtime every night. Either they are working really well or I don't have insomnia. I'm too chicken not to take them because I have to get up early to get my son off to school. My boys are 4 and 6, so I know what you are going though.

 

Depressed parent of little kids nemo kitty

Posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:27:58

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 14:02:38

What has really helped me out a lot is getting child care part of the time. My older boy started half-day preschool/daycare three days a week at age 3-1/2 and I cannot begin to tell you how much that saved my sanity only having one child, a toddler, at home. Plus, he was happier being around peers and doing lots of crafts and playing outside. Now my older boy is in elementary school and my younger boy is in preschool/daycare three days a week and I get to be *alone*. It is so much easier to parent if you get a break every now and then. When I am alone in the house after my husband leaves with our preschooler I just run around waving my arms in the air yelling "I'm alone! I'm alone!" Both boys were home all summer and I know that is what triggered my current depression. I didn't snap out of it when they went to school, however. Maybe it is PTSD, LOL. You know the saying "It takes a village"? I think of the daycare/preschool center as "the other village women." It's a win-win situation: I'm happy, my kids are happy. It was a struggle to afford it on one income at first, but now we are doing better financially and I know I am lucky.

(I suspect that Dr. Bob will probably redirect this post to another folder.)

 

Re: Depressed parent of little kids

Posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 16:41:19

In reply to Depressed parent of little kids nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:27:58

Have you ever tried ssri's? My doctor wants me to take Lexipro with the wellbutrin, I'm not sure why though. I have been on it for 4 weeks. But, I am only on 1/2 of the 10mg's, so 5mg (which is very low) I guess I am just confused of why she wants me on both? ALSO, your running around the house yelling I'm free story was the best!!!!! That is me when my 2 & 3 year old girls are at preschool (only t/th for 4 hours, but hey I'll take whatever I can!)

 

Re: Depressed parent of little kids

Posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:53:42

In reply to Re: Depressed parent of little kids, posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 16:41:19

> Have you ever tried ssri's? My doctor wants me to take Lexipro with the wellbutrin, I'm not sure why though.

I absolutely cannot take SSRIs. I took Paxil for 6 weeks and felt progressively worse. My boss was constantly breathing down my back to get work done, and I just could not stay at task. I am fairly certain that I was not having REM sleep. When I went off Paxil I experienced hypomania, which was fun and actually made me feel a lot better. My concentration improved after I went off Paxil, but I wasn't 100%. That is the first time I went on Wellbutrin SR. I started off at 100mg x 2 for a month, then went up to 150mg x 2. A month later I felt 100%. I then quit my job and moved 5000 miles to be with a guy I met online. I suppose that does sound a bit bi-polar, LOL.

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by chicago77 on October 25, 2003, at 23:41:31

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 13:40:22

No, no, no!! If you are already taking 300 mg of WB SR (150 mg bid), then you should go right to the WB XL 300 mg!! It's the same amount of drug, just release over a longer period of time!
From what I've read in other posts, I'll just comment on my experience. I also switched b/c I was always forgetting to take the 2nd dose (or couldn't remember if I took it, etc). I have found the transition to be seamless and also agree that the XL is much "smoother." Many times I would only remember my 2nd dose b/c I started getting irritable and crabby. Typically WB causes sleeplessness (not drowsiness), so this is great for me b/c the med is less and less in my system by bedtime. I have never noticed a change in taste (or thirst). And even though this med is marketed to quit smoking under the trade name Zyban, I continue to smoke... which I'm sure interferes with my taste sensation anyway. I have NEVER noticed weight gain due to WB (and this is my 3rd episode of major depression, and 3rd experience w/ WB). My only weight gain is due to overeating and lack of consistent exercise (only about 20-30 lbs overweight... by no means obese). So now I am looking into the Topamax craze, since I also get migraine headaches (you can see my post on that thread). That's all I can think of with my WB experiences, but I must say that the XL has worked out VERY well for me. And I would like to again state that, if you switch from SR to XL, you should take the same amount of XL as your total daily dosage of SR (see above).

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 25, 2003, at 23:48:58

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by chicago77 on October 25, 2003, at 23:41:31

thank you for the advice!! Actually I decided to go ahead with the 300 XL. I started it today. Same as before with the sr, I was fine. A little nauseated and thirsty, but nothing too much. Definetely felt a bit "up" or "jittery" but also not too bad. I think the XL will be much better, because on the SR I also forgot to take the 2nd dose until I started being crabby. Thanks!

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? chicago77

Posted by Cybele on October 26, 2003, at 8:31:20

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by chicago77 on October 25, 2003, at 23:41:31

She posted that she had been frequently forgetting the evening dose.

 

Redirect: Depressed parent of little kids

Posted by Dr. Bob on October 26, 2003, at 14:39:12

In reply to Depressed parent of little kids nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:27:58

> What has really helped me out a lot is getting child care part of the time...
>
> (I suspect that Dr. Bob will probably redirect this post to another folder.)

Yes, how about Psycho-Social-Babble? Here's a link:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20031020/msgs/273669.html

Thanks,

Bob

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 28, 2003, at 20:57:16

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by Cybele on October 25, 2003, at 16:15:16

O>K>>>>I started taking the Wellbutrin XL 300 MG 3 days ago. Tonight I had a total panic attack with moderate/severe chest pains. I have never had this before ever!!! I felt like I was going to pass out. I have been very short with my children, absolutely no patience at all. I was so shaky and "up" that I dropped a pan on my toe and actually broke it. I can hardly walk now. I also live in San Diego (Scripps Ranch) where over 800 homes have burned down in the last 2 days. I am a mess to say the least. The Wellbutrin xl 300 is making life crazy. SHOULD I ASK MY DOCTOR FOR WB XL150 MG??. Maybe my body is absorbing too much at once. I know it is supposed to be times released, but it is so new I am not sure what to think. I think I need a Xanax.

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 28, 2003, at 20:58:45

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 28, 2003, at 20:57:16

Has anyone else started the WB XL yet?

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by Zenclearer on October 28, 2003, at 21:52:59

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 28, 2003, at 20:58:45

If I were you, residing in Scripps Ranch right now, I would stop the Wellbutrin, or cut it down by more than half.

That's a LOT of stress and activation. More than anyone needs. :(

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by chicago77 on October 29, 2003, at 14:26:15

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 28, 2003, at 20:57:16

I. on the other hand, think that having all that stress is the WORST possible time to go off your antidepressant! I too have suffered a terrible loss this weekend and just had 3 final exam (in my PA Master's program). Was I stressed? Of course! Did I continue my meds? Absolutely! And I've been able to handle (to the best of my ability) taking these exams and bouncing around in the stages of grief... and, probably due to the meds, I've talked to the appropriate people about what I was going through and used a lot of coping skills.
Okay, enough of my tangent... my point was that you might want to reanalyze that day and a few days before that to see if there might be any events that would trigger that kind of emotional response. What kind of stress were/are you feeling? I can tell you that, from my current status, I am so mentally, emotionally and spiritually drained that I've had physical manifestations. My legs feel so heavy, my entire body feels weak and I too have dropped so many things in the last couple days that I can't even count them... luckily I haven't broken a toe!! (Sorry... heal quickly!!)
So, what's my point? I apologize for the rambling but my mind still isn't quite right. I've been taking WB XL for about a month now and, as I've said before, I feel that it's a blessing and a miracle. I wouldn't be so quick to associate the events that occurred with the change in med (although it is very possible). I would suggest trying it out a few more days and see if you feel the same. Keep in mind, however, that if you are stressed out about something (uhhh, like maybe some huge fires right outside your door?!), that you might be experiencing the depression/anxiety symptoms from that. Hang in there... things can only get better. My mantra through this whole grieving experience is "Everything happens for a reason." So I have to believe that God took him out of my life for a reason and there are still bigger and better plans for my life. That keeps me going (although suddenly I feel like I'm going to break down in tears). *sigh* Bottom line, don't just stop your meds. See how things go for a few more days and then decide if you were better off with the WB SR. Only you can decide that because only you know what's going on in your life and how you feel. Good luck... wishing you the best!!

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 29, 2003, at 17:29:02

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by chicago77 on October 29, 2003, at 14:26:15

> I. on the other hand, think that having all that stress is the WORST possible time to go off your antidepressant! I too have suffered a terrible loss this weekend and just had 3 final exam (in my PA Master's program). Was I stressed? Of course! Did I continue my meds? Absolutely! And I've been able to handle (to the best of my ability) taking these exams and bouncing around in the stages of grief... and, probably due to the meds, I've talked to the appropriate people about what I was going through and used a lot of coping skills.
> Okay, enough of my tangent... my point was that you might want to reanalyze that day and a few days before that to see if there might be any events that would trigger that kind of emotional response. What kind of stress were/are you feeling? I can tell you that, from my current status, I am so mentally, emotionally and spiritually drained that I've had physical manifestations. My legs feel so heavy, my entire body feels weak and I too have dropped so many things in the last couple days that I can't even count them... luckily I haven't broken a toe!! (Sorry... heal quickly!!)
> So, what's my point? I apologize for the rambling but my mind still isn't quite right. I've been taking WB XL for about a month now and, as I've said before, I feel that it's a blessing and a miracle. I wouldn't be so quick to associate the events that occurred with the change in med (although it is very possible). I would suggest trying it out a few more days and see if you feel the same. Keep in mind, however, that if you are stressed out about something (uhhh, like maybe some huge fires right outside your door?!), that you might be experiencing the depression/anxiety symptoms from that. Hang in there... things can only get better. My mantra through this whole grieving experience is "Everything happens for a reason." So I have to believe that God took him out of my life for a reason and there are still bigger and better plans for my life. That keeps me going (although suddenly I feel like I'm going to break down in tears). *sigh* Bottom line, don't just stop your meds. See how things go for a few more days and then decide if you were better off with the WB SR. Only you can decide that because only you know what's going on in your life and how you feel. Good luck... wishing you the best!!

Good luck to you! Sounds like we both have been under stress. Life is so hard sometimes, too hard. Another question?? YOU SAY YOU HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR A MONTH.....do you think it has made you angry at all?? I feel kind of short tempered or easily agitated (sp?)
What do you think?

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?

Posted by nemo kitty on October 29, 2003, at 17:29:51

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by chicago77 on October 29, 2003, at 14:26:15

Also, did you have anxiety or just depression?

 

Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty

Posted by chicago77 on October 30, 2003, at 19:39:51

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE?, posted by nemo kitty on October 29, 2003, at 17:29:51

I haven't noticed any fits of anger, although I'm a quite even-tempered person and usually don't let things send me off into a rage. Sure, a few days ago while coping with my loss I felt like punching something or yelling and screaming. However, I maintained myself. Mostly I've felt sad about the events. However, in the month I've been on WB XL, I haven't seen any change in my temprement as far as anger is concerned. I am taking the WB for depression. I have not been diagnosed with anxiety nor do I feel that I have any symptoms of anxiety disorder. Let me know how things go with you on the XL (if you decide to stick with it). And I really hope that the anger and anxiety subside for you soon. Try to take some time for yourself to relax. Take care!

 

Switching back and forth, from XLs to SRs... (nm)

Posted by Dog on December 3, 2003, at 12:57:45

In reply to Re: SWITCHING TO WB XL...ANY ADVICE? nemo kitty, posted by chicago77 on October 30, 2003, at 19:39:51

 

Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Cutting XL pills? Viridis

Posted by NG on February 20, 2004, at 5:58:21

In reply to Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Breaking SR pills, Watch out... femlite, posted by Viridis on September 16, 2003, at 3:12:53

Viridis mentioned that the developer of Wellbutrin SR said that cutting the pills did not really affect the absorbtion rate. Based on this information, I started cutting some Wellbutrin XL pills in half--I wasn't paying attention to the difference between XL and SR. I'm backing off of that strategy for now, but I have a bunch of halved pills and halving the dosage would be useful.

So... I guess I'm wondering how you managed to get ahold of one of the actual developers to ask about this, so I could ask about XL.

The prescibing packet for both XL and SR say don't cut / divide pills.

> I've mentioned this here before, but the coating on WB SR pills has nothing whatsoever to do with the sustained-release effect.
>
> When I was on 150 mg SR and couldn't tolerate it, I called the company and spoke to one of the people who actually developed the SR version. He explained that the drug is imbedded in a slowly-dissolving wax, and the coating disappears almost immediately in your stomach. I was told that there was no danger in cutting the pills (they researched this), but they discourage this because:
>
> 1) It's hard to get exact dosing.
>
> 2) Once cut, the med can absorb moisture from the atmosphere and lose potency.
>
> His advice was to go ahead and cut the pills, just do only a few at a time to avoid water-absorption problems. He then faxed me graphs of uptake rates of cut vs. uncut pills, which showed a very slight increase in absorption rate in the first 15 minutes, then almost identical rates. My pdoc said this all made sense, and to try the lower dose with divided pills. It had about half the side effects, still intolerable for me.
>
> I have no idea whether this applies to other slow-release meds, but these are the facts (from the manufacturer/developer) for Wellbutrin SR.

 

Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Cutting XL pills?

Posted by mrporter1 on February 22, 2004, at 14:45:32

In reply to Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Cutting XL pills? Viridis, posted by NG on February 20, 2004, at 5:58:21

It won't hurt you to divide XL tablets. But (big but) you'll lose the "XL-ness" - the drug will be released all at once instead of over the day. The tablet shell is the key.

> Viridis mentioned that the developer of Wellbutrin SR said that cutting the pills did not really affect the absorbtion rate. Based on this information, I started cutting some Wellbutrin XL pills in half--I wasn't paying attention to the difference between XL and SR. I'm backing off of that strategy for now, but I have a bunch of halved pills and halving the dosage would be useful.
>
> So... I guess I'm wondering how you managed to get ahold of one of the actual developers to ask about this, so I could ask about XL.
>
> The prescibing packet for both XL and SR say don't cut / divide pills.
>
> > I've mentioned this here before, but the coating on WB SR pills has nothing whatsoever to do with the sustained-release effect.
> >
> > When I was on 150 mg SR and couldn't tolerate it, I called the company and spoke to one of the people who actually developed the SR version. He explained that the drug is imbedded in a slowly-dissolving wax, and the coating disappears almost immediately in your stomach. I was told that there was no danger in cutting the pills (they researched this), but they discourage this because:
> >
> > 1) It's hard to get exact dosing.
> >
> > 2) Once cut, the med can absorb moisture from the atmosphere and lose potency.
> >
> > His advice was to go ahead and cut the pills, just do only a few at a time to avoid water-absorption problems. He then faxed me graphs of uptake rates of cut vs. uncut pills, which showed a very slight increase in absorption rate in the first 15 minutes, then almost identical rates. My pdoc said this all made sense, and to try the lower dose with divided pills. It had about half the side effects, still intolerable for me.
> >
> > I have no idea whether this applies to other slow-release meds, but these are the facts (from the manufacturer/developer) for Wellbutrin SR.
>
>

 

Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Cutting XL pills? mrporter1

Posted by Cybele on February 22, 2004, at 16:39:03

In reply to Re: WELLBUTRIN;...Cutting XL pills?, posted by mrporter1 on February 22, 2004, at 14:45:32

> It won't hurt you to divide XL tablets. But (big but) you'll lose the "XL-ness" - the drug will be released all at once instead of over the day. The tablet shell is the key.
>

Are you positive about that? Someone on here had contacted the mfg, and found out that SRs are splittable and still retained their time-releaseness because the grains were encapsulated in a slow-dissolve coating, IIRC.

I wonder if the generic SRs are the same way?

Anyway, I finally have my PDOC appt tomorrow, for which I had to wait 3 months. I'll ask him about it.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.