Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 269895

Shown: posts 1 to 14 of 14. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by Elle2021 on October 16, 2003, at 5:11:07

I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by DanielJ on October 16, 2003, at 8:18:12

In reply to What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by Elle2021 on October 16, 2003, at 5:11:07

I talked to a lady at a support group last week who says her Anti-Psychotic meds last about 2 years and then she has to change. She said she was taking Geodon for 2 years and Zyprexa for 2 years. There are some who claim these can cause diabetes but she did not have it. She is early 30's and is now taking Abilify which she claims doesn't have any major SEs She takes it every morning and is able to sleep without problems. She had also taken Risperdal for 2 years. I think it still depends on your own body and what agrees with you best.

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by SLS on October 16, 2003, at 10:19:23

In reply to What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by Elle2021 on October 16, 2003, at 5:11:07

> I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?


Hi.

The two drugs that are most implicated with diabetes are Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine). I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes. If it does, I would expect it to be very small. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is considered to be the safest with respect to EPS and tardive dyskinesia.


- Scott

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug? Elle2021

Posted by Penny on October 16, 2003, at 11:01:22

In reply to What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by Elle2021 on October 16, 2003, at 5:11:07

I saw online where the FDA was thinking about making Pfizer (Geodon manufacturers) and others add warnings regarding increased diabetes risk, but Pfizer is contesting this.

I took Geodon for nearly a year, have diabetes in my family and am at risk, but I never had a problem. Where did you read that the number was 50%?

P

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by cybercafe on October 16, 2003, at 12:13:50

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by SLS on October 16, 2003, at 10:19:23

> > I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?
>
>
> Hi.
>
> The two drugs that are most implicated with diabetes are Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine). I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes. If it does, I would expect it to be very small. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is considered to be the safest with respect to EPS and tardive dyskinesia.

hmmm... i'm pretty sure zyprexa is a lot less likely to cause EPS than seroquel... where did you hear otherwise i'd like to check it out myself ?

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by Tepiaca on October 16, 2003, at 22:53:46

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by cybercafe on October 16, 2003, at 12:13:50

Talking about EPS and Tardive diskinesia . I read that there is no drug safer than Clozapine , but is not used due to the disminution of the white blood cells in your body
(Agranulositosis)

Seroquel is very similar chemically to Clozapine , and did not have this side effect
Thats why is the safest AP on the market . (According to the reads I have made)

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug? cybercafe

Posted by ace on October 17, 2003, at 3:15:09

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by cybercafe on October 16, 2003, at 12:13:50

> > > I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?
> >
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > The two drugs that are most implicated with diabetes are Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine). I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes. If it does, I would expect it to be very small. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is considered to be the safest with respect to EPS and tardive dyskinesia.
>
> hmmm... i'm pretty sure zyprexa is a lot less likely to cause EPS than seroquel... where did you hear otherwise i'd like to check it out myself ?

In all the literature they say that Seroquel is less likely to cause EPS...in fact it is the only antipsychotic that has shown an incident of EPS, in clinical trials, the same as that of placebo. However, I actually agree with you. I have read of many more people getting EPS from Seroquel over Olanzapine.

Ace.

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by Elle2021 on October 17, 2003, at 4:08:07

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug? Elle2021, posted by Penny on October 16, 2003, at 11:01:22

> I saw online where the FDA was thinking about making Pfizer (Geodon manufacturers) and others add warnings regarding increased diabetes risk, but Pfizer is contesting this.
>
> I took Geodon for nearly a year, have diabetes in my family and am at risk, but I never had a problem. Where did you read that the number was 50%?
>
> P

I must correct myself...In my previous post I said that Geodon causes 50% of the people taking it to develop Diabetes. I misread the information, it actually stated that in clinical trials, Geodon and anti-psychotics similar to it cause Diabetes 50% more often than older anti-psychotics. Please forgive my error. The website I read the information on is http://www.yourlawyer.com/practice/overview.htm?topic=Geodon

It is a website that is looking for patients who have developed Diabetes for a lawsuit, so it may be biased.

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by cybercafe on October 17, 2003, at 4:14:05

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by Tepiaca on October 16, 2003, at 22:53:46

> Talking about EPS and Tardive diskinesia . I read that there is no drug safer than Clozapine , but is not used due to the disminution of the white blood cells in your body
> (Agranulositosis)

yep that is exactly what i read ... i think clozapine has virtually no incidence of EPS and TD.... who knows, maybe Abilify will turn out to be as good


> Seroquel is very similar chemically to Clozapine , and did not have this side effect
> Thats why is the safest AP on the market . (According to the reads I have made)

i hope i come across as wanting to inform rather than being argumentative ;) but really i have read tons of articles that list Zyprexa as the lowest .... talked to people who got EPS on Seroquel but not Zyprexa.... and my doc said he saw much more EPS on Seroquel

however! Seroquel does have a shorter binding to the D2 receptors.... the only reason Zyprexa has less EPS i believe is because of superior 5HT2A antagonism .... who knows if it has less TD?

i also read a report a while ago (2000?) where they were saying Seroquel has LESS EPS than placebo! but that turned out to be bogus

if you guys are serious about taking seroquel and EPS i will dig up a few articles from google...... though i suppose there are other reasons to take seroquel (perhaps less weight gain or sedation than zyprexa?) ......... i would like to see everyone have the success i did ........ i would like to think that it's possible to have 100% remission and 0 side effects (that's what i'm looking at with parnate, ritalin, abilify and lorazepam)

either way, be well guys :) and keep sharing the info, together we can beat this thing

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by cybercafe on October 17, 2003, at 4:17:38

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug? cybercafe, posted by ace on October 17, 2003, at 3:15:09

> > > > I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > The two drugs that are most implicated with diabetes are Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine). I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes. If it does, I would expect it to be very small. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is considered to be the safest with respect to EPS and tardive dyskinesia.
> >
> > hmmm... i'm pretty sure zyprexa is a lot less likely to cause EPS than seroquel... where did you hear otherwise i'd like to check it out myself ?
>
> In all the literature they say that Seroquel is less likely to cause EPS...in fact it is the only antipsychotic that has shown an incident of EPS, in clinical trials, the same as that of placebo. However, I actually agree with you. I have read of many more people getting EPS from Seroquel over Olanzapine.

hey you read that too huh :) yeah less EPS than placebo, then everyone you talk to who takes the drug gets numb tongue or tremors or something, i don't know how they come up with this stuff

i disagree with teh literature thing though.. when i was reading up on it last summer almost every article i went through said zyprexa was number 1 .... don't get me wrong though, seroquel is still much lower than geodon or risperdal ...... ummmm.... personally i'm on low dose abilify and love the stuff :)

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by SLS on October 17, 2003, at 17:34:37

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by cybercafe on October 16, 2003, at 12:13:50

> > > I have recently started taking Geodon. I read that in 50% of patients it causes Diabetes. I quit taking it because of this fact. Can anyone tell me what they believe the safest anti-psychotic drug is?
> >
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > The two drugs that are most implicated with diabetes are Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine). I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes. If it does, I would expect it to be very small. Quetiapine (Seroquel) is considered to be the safest with respect to EPS and tardive dyskinesia.
>
> hmmm... i'm pretty sure zyprexa is a lot less likely to cause EPS than seroquel... where did you hear otherwise i'd like to check it out myself ?
>
>


I don't remember. I guess it depends on who writes the literature. One thing I stumbled across portrayed Seroquel as being the only neuroleptic with a 0% risk. Perhaps that was wishful thinking. One of the great things about Psycho-Babble is that it offers real world experience with these drugs.


- Scott


 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?

Posted by MamaB on October 18, 2003, at 6:44:03

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by SLS on October 17, 2003, at 17:34:37

Hi all,
Check out this website. Granted it put out by attorneys looking for clients, but it still has a some interesting statements.
http://www.zyprexa-side-effects.com/

Personally, I have taken both Zyprexa and Seroquel and Seroquel wins hands down. No dry mouth and no weight gain. In fact I have been able to finally take off the 40+lbs that I gained on Zyprexa, but only through diet and serious exercise. On Zyprexa I seemed to have lost my will/ability to DO much of anything, let alone exercise!

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?- Error

Posted by SLS on October 18, 2003, at 9:46:20

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?, posted by SLS on October 16, 2003, at 10:19:23

Oops.

> I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes.

Error.

Geodon is ziprasidone. Abilify is aripiprazole.

Sorry.


- Scott

 

Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?- Error

Posted by cybercafe on October 18, 2003, at 17:09:53

In reply to Re: What is the Safest Anti-psychotic Drug?- Error, posted by SLS on October 18, 2003, at 9:46:20

> Oops.
>
> > I didn't think Geodon (aripiprazole) had any potential to induce diabetes.
>
> Error.
>
> Geodon is ziprasidone. Abilify is aripiprazole.
>
> Sorry.
>
>
> - Scott

i wasn't going to say anything if you weren't :)

p.s. - i love low dose abilify
(well worth the trip to the states and telling BS stories to doctors ;) )


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.