Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 270215

Shown: posts 1 to 6 of 6. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

so far so good - ritalin dsch

Posted by Francesco on October 17, 2003, at 11:50:32

Hi, how are you ?

Yesterday I started Ritalin 5 mg x 1 and today 5 mg x 2. I didn't notice any side effect with the exception of a strange taste in mouth.

I feel more confident, maybe a bit more introverted, but in a different way toward Anafranil. I'm not social phobic at all but a bit less interested in people while more confident at the same time when talking to them (don't know if this is clear : ). A bit obsessive (but for me being a bit organized means "obsessive" ;-), less sense of humour, maybe less sharp, anyway it's only my second day therefore it's too early for generalizations.

Motivation is very good, focus is the overfocused kind, if this is the Rit I think it's ten times better than Anafranil for me. I feel like I were an organized Francesco which is a very strange sensation. No drastic changes of personality, hope I found the one ;-) I think also that it "normalizes" me, never been normal so, I don't really know what to do : )

Let me know what you're doing ... I don't see your threads anymore !

 

ritalin vs. anafranil Francesco

Posted by DSCH on October 17, 2003, at 15:28:51

In reply to so far so good - ritalin dsch, posted by Francesco on October 17, 2003, at 11:50:32

> Hi, how are you ?
>
> Yesterday I started Ritalin 5 mg x 1 and today 5 mg x 2. I didn't notice any side effect with the exception of a strange taste in mouth.
>
> I feel more confident, maybe a bit more introverted, but in a different way toward Anafranil. I'm not social phobic at all but a bit less interested in people while more confident at the same time when talking to them (don't know if this is clear : ). A bit obsessive (but for me being a bit organized means "obsessive" ;-), less sense of humour, maybe less sharp, anyway it's only my second day therefore it's too early for generalizations.
>
> Motivation is very good, focus is the overfocused kind, if this is the Rit I think it's ten times better than Anafranil for me. I feel like I were an organized Francesco which is a very strange sensation. No drastic changes of personality, hope I found the one ;-) I think also that it "normalizes" me, never been normal so, I don't really know what to do : )
>
> Let me know what you're doing ... I don't see your threads anymore !
>

Ah, yes. I was wondering what you were up to, Francesco. :-) I've been working part time this week and have had less time to 'babble'.

Are you sure the Anafranil is out of your system right now? When did you last take it?

I dropped pemoline again after I gave my original morning dose of 37.5 mg another try and my ability to focus *dropped* and then a crash set in during the afternoon. I notice no real difference on 18.75 mg tid.

I am having encouraging results with 3000 mg/day L-tyrosine and 300mg/day 5-HTP plus my sundry vitamins and minerals. If it keeps up I may drop the notion of seeing a psychiatrist.

 

Re: ritalin vs. anafranil

Posted by francesco on October 17, 2003, at 16:04:40

In reply to ritalin vs. anafranil Francesco , posted by DSCH on October 17, 2003, at 15:28:51

ops ... I didn't think about Anafranil ... but I told my pdoc I took it ... The last time was about ten days ago ... maybe there is some trace left in my body ;-)

I don't know anything about pemoline but I think I have experienced some -what's the word ?- crash/down in the evening. not depression but nervousness & tiredness. I'm not sure Rit was the cause ... let's see what happens

the pdoc said also that my strong reaction to anafranil can be dued to the possibility that I am a slow metabolizer ...

do you know if I can use benzos with rit ? what about alcohol ? I know, there should be a lot of posts about it, but you're my favourite counselor ;-)

good luck with tyrosine and 5-htp. I hope in the future to try tyrosine. and to improve my English too ;-)

what kind of job are you doing ?

 

Re: ritalin vs. anafranil francesco

Posted by DSCH on October 17, 2003, at 16:19:03

In reply to Re: ritalin vs. anafranil, posted by francesco on October 17, 2003, at 16:04:40

Ah, live chat tonight? ;-) Do you subscribe to an instant messenging service?

> ops ... I didn't think about Anafranil ... but I told my pdoc I took it ... The last time was about ten days ago ... maybe there is some trace left in my body ;-)

19-37 hrs. half life according to SLS' chart.

So it's been roughly 6-12 half life periods so serum concentration could be as much as 1/64 maximum or as little as 1/4096.

> I don't know anything about pemoline but I think I have experienced some -what's the word ?- crash/down in the evening. not depression but nervousness & tiredness. I'm not sure Rit was the cause ... let's see what happens

It's possible. Methylphenidate has a fairly short half-life of 2.9 hours.

> the pdoc said also that my strong reaction to anafranil can be dued to the possibility that I am a slow metabolizer ...

Maybe, but I think it's strong serotonergic effects make for a more probable (though paradoxical) explanation.

> do you know if I can use benzos with rit ? what about alcohol ? I know, there should be a lot of posts about it, but you're my favourite counselor ;-)

I'm not sure. The Ritalin regulars on the board would field that better than I could. ;-)

> good luck with tyrosine and 5-htp. I hope in the future to try tyrosine. and to improve my English too ;-)
>
> what kind of job are you doing ?

I work in a nutrition store! :-) Employee discounts!! LOL

 

Re: ritalin vs. anafranil DSCH

Posted by francesco on October 18, 2003, at 1:58:20

In reply to Re: ritalin vs. anafranil francesco, posted by DSCH on October 17, 2003, at 16:19:03

Ah, live chat tonight? ;-) Do you subscribe to an instant messenging service?

LoL
I used ICQ but, you know ... too many girls : )


> 19-37 hrs. half life according to SLS' chart.

> So it's been roughly 6-12 half life periods so > serum concentration could be as much as 1/64 > maximum or as little as 1/4096.

I must have read something about your IQ ...
what the hell are you saying ? : )

>It's possible. Methylphenidate has a fairly >short half-life of 2.9 hours.

Only two days of Ritalin and I'm already thinking about switching to Concerta ... Sometimes the life of a mentall illed guy can be hard ;-)

>Maybe, but I think it's strong serotonergic >effects make for a more probable (though >paradoxical) explanation.

I agree, I think both statements can be true. I'm likely to be hypersensitive to serotoninergic meds. I could feel the effect of 1mg of Citalopram ! (the recommended dose for depression is 10mg, OCD 20mg)

>I'm not sure. The Ritalin regulars on the board >would field that better than I could. ;-)

I'm trying to avoid alcohol as far as I can. Now I have the sensation that I *can* do it. So far Ritalin has won the first prize (it wasn't difficult anyway) ... compared to Anafranil & SSRIs is a candy ... also a child could take it ! (ops ;-) On the other hand I planned to go to a party this evening but I'm little afraid about the rebound-effect : / (don't want to stangle anybody, it's a friend of mine's party ;-)

>I work in a nutrition store! :-) Employee >discounts!! LOL

You're are the right man in the right place !
I laughed a lot when I red you work there ... Please leave something also for the customers ! ;-)

Anyway, it seems we're managing to do what we wanted to do despite our problems ... (mumble mumble ... I'm getting too optimistic ... what will happen to my dark look ? ;-)

 

Re: ritalin vs. anafranil francesco

Posted by DSCH on October 18, 2003, at 17:19:41

In reply to Re: ritalin vs. anafranil DSCH, posted by francesco on October 18, 2003, at 1:58:20

> I used ICQ but, you know ... too many girls : )

Ah, yes.

> > 19-37 hrs. half life according to SLS' chart.
>
> > So it's been roughly 6-12 half life periods so > serum concentration could be as much as 1/64 > maximum or as little as 1/4096.
>
> I must have read something about your IQ ...
> what the hell are you saying ? : )

Half life maximum = 37 hours
Half life minimum = 16 hours

Time since last clomipramine dose = 10 days = 240 hours

240/16 = about 12, 240/37 = about 6

Each half life period results in a halving of the serum concentration so...

(1/2)^X = multiple of serum concentration, where X = (t/half-life)

so the most it could be is Y*[(1/2)^6] and the least, Y*[(1/2)^12] where Y was the concentration maximum following your last dose.

> You're are the right man in the right place !
> I laughed a lot when I red you work there ... Please leave something also for the customers ! ;-)

Well, it's only part time and the pay is rather low. I don't plan on doing this for too long.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.