Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 240098

Shown: posts 1 to 25 of 32. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 13:15:35

2303.1

I've been getting severe migraines previous to menstruation. The symptoms are; visual aura, problems concentrating, word-finding difficulties in the preceding days, and eventually nausea and discomfort. The days following the attack, for up to a week I will still feel like I have a concussion, slow-brained and groggy,with mild visual aura and trouble concentrating.

These can also sometimes be set off by bright lights, changes from cold to hot, moving from dark to light areas, and being on a flickering computer.

My psychiatrist brought up the possibility of being tested for sleep apnea, and of being tested for epilepsy again. (I had a brief 20 -min. EEG last year.)

would these symptoms be consistent with epilepsy?

I am so frustrated because I am tired of the long road it has taken to single out what is causing these symptoms, and because -- to be honest -- i feel it is unfair that i should have to put up with cognitive symptoms. I have never used illegal drugs, drank to excess, or even binged on junk food. Yet here I am, at age 27, dealing with these symptoms.

I am so p***ed about this, when I see young people swallowing whole pizzas and trying drugs with no physical or cognitive repercussions.

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by Penny on July 8, 2003, at 15:49:19

In reply to menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 13:15:35

It all sounds like migraine to me, though I'm not an epilepsy or migraine specialist! I do get migraines (without aura) myself, and can relate to some of your symptoms. Epilepsy would never even come to mind for those symptoms in my book.

And even if you have sleep apnea, I wouldn't think it would cause such headaches, though I'm sure it wouldn't help matters.

But my vote is for migraine. What have you taken?

My gp referred me to a headache clinic in my town because I've had daily headaches with occasional migraine since I was 10 years old (I'm now 26). She also gave me some ideas for otc things I could try, including 400 mgs/day of vitamin b2 (riboflavin). Can't remember at the moment what else, but I'm sure you've probably tried just about everything with the suffering you're going through.

My pdoc put me on a beta-blocker for the headaches, but most of mine aren't migraines, so it wasn't very helpful.

And some people use the triptans prophylactically, or so I've heard.

Again, probably nothing you haven't heard before, tried or thought of yourself, but just my thoughts.

:-(
Take care.
Penny

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated! bookgurl99

Posted by jasonr on July 8, 2003, at 16:20:09

In reply to menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 13:15:35

> 2303.1
>
> I've been getting severe migraines previous to menstruation. The symptoms are; visual aura, problems concentrating, word-finding difficulties in the preceding days, and eventually nausea and discomfort. The days following the attack, for up to a week I will still feel like I have a concussion, slow-brained and groggy,with mild visual aura and trouble concentrating.
>
> These can also sometimes be set off by bright lights, changes from cold to hot, moving from dark to light areas, and being on a flickering computer.
>
> My psychiatrist brought up the possibility of being tested for sleep apnea, and of being tested for epilepsy again. (I had a brief 20 -min. EEG last year.)
>
> would these symptoms be consistent with epilepsy?
>
> I am so frustrated because I am tired of the long road it has taken to single out what is causing these symptoms, and because -- to be honest -- i feel it is unfair that i should have to put up with cognitive symptoms. I have never used illegal drugs, drank to excess, or even binged on junk food. Yet here I am, at age 27, dealing with these symptoms.
>
> I am so p***ed about this, when I see young people swallowing whole pizzas and trying drugs with no physical or cognitive repercussions.

Well, I am going to give my 2c here. Take it as ya will =)

I suffer from migraines too. I get all of the symptoms that you do: aura, concentration problems. I also get semi-peralisis of my left side (drooping face, lack of strength in hands, etc)

Mine can be set off from: atmospheric pressure changes (storms), temp changes (ac->hot outside), sodium nitrate (preservative in meats), computer flicker.

I was tested for epilepsy and other stuff. Migraines were the problem found.


I find myself groggy and just not as sharp for a few days after a bad migraine. This is enhanced if I take heavy medication to lessen the pain (percocet, stadol, etc).


I share your frustrations. I have never done an illegal drug. Never got a migraine till college (18yrs old). It also frustrates me that we have to put up with the process of finding solutions. However, just as with depression meds, we have to have some trial and error time with the docs. (guess work in a white coat as I lovingly refer to it as).

Have you tried any preventative meds or rescue meds? I have a girl friend that uses celexa during pms times to help her mood and to avoid migraines. Rescue meds that work well: Imitrex, maxalt. E-mail me if ya like, and we can compare battle notes on migraine meds and treatments.

Best of luck!

-Jason

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 17:00:47

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated! bookgurl99, posted by jasonr on July 8, 2003, at 16:20:09

hey jason,

thanks for your note.

it's nice to know that someone else has gone through this. i've also experienced left-sided weakness with migraine; i've had some doctors look at me like i'm strange when i say that, like it's all in my head. (it _is_ in my head!)
i have even lost slight range of motion in my left eye, maybe related to the repeated migraines (prior to dx) or not.

i guess i shouldn't take something that my dr. tosses out there _too_ seriously. after all, he just wanted to have it done to be sure he's been responsible on his end. i guess the epilepsy thing is a major fear for me; migraine seems so much less serious.

> I find myself groggy and just not as sharp for a few days after a bad migraine.

It's a relief to know someone else gets this and can relate; I'm the only one I know who gets it!


> Have you tried any preventative meds or rescue meds? I have a girl friend that uses celexa during pms times to help her mood and to avoid migraines.

Right now I'm using verapamil (calcium channel blocker). It helps reduce the frequency. But it seems like as soon as I get off an SSRI, the severity increases. I'm considering birth control pills (to control menstrual trigger) or topomax.

I thought meds like imitrex were off-limits for this type of migraine. For me, it's not the pain that's a problem -- i feel more of a 'pressure' rather than pain. Am I wrong in thinking that imitrex can't be used?

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 22:21:51

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by Penny on July 8, 2003, at 15:49:19

Thx for mentioning the riboflavin.

Last month, when I was taking many vitamins (calcium, magnesium, evening primrose oil, omega-3's, folic acid, B's, etc.) I did _not_ experience as severe of a migraine prior to menstruating.

I have had some financial difficulties due to my partner's job loss, and stopped taking them. Now it seems that it will definitely be worth taking them -- I will bring up the riboflavin to the dr.

 

Re:just wanted to ad. . . .

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 22:27:14

In reply to menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 13:15:35

I guess my biggest fear is of 'permanent neurological changes.' Because I have had permanent visual changes that may be related to migraine, and because I had one severe attack last year that left me somewhat cognitively disabled for a time(had trouble with automatic things even, like even using a fancy cable remote control, severity lasted less than a week, but SCARY.),I fear having another one where the symptoms don't go away.

My attention span seems much worse than it once did, so I fear that these migraine attacks are robbing my little brain cells. Is this logical? I hope that it's not -- my friends say I seem really normal to them; my girlfriend says maybe I'm not as fast as I used to be but still smart, so . . maybe I'm hyper-focusing on small things. But STILL -- it would be nice to have my eyes focus well, and for my attention span to be strong once more.

 

Re:just wanted to ad. . . .

Posted by McPac on July 10, 2003, at 0:07:38

In reply to Re:just wanted to ad. . . ., posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 22:27:14

Taking a very good form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, may help. I would seriously try the glycinate form, highly absorbable.

 

vitamin recommendations? McPac

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 8:53:08

In reply to Re:just wanted to ad. . . ., posted by McPac on July 10, 2003, at 0:07:38

> Taking a very good form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, may help. I would seriously try the glycinate form, highly absorbable.

Did you suggest this as a form of migraine prevention?

When I remember to, I'm currently taking 5 cal-mag citrate (1875 mgs) daily. Now that I think of it, last month I did not have the severity of menstrual migraine when I adhered to a vitamin schedule. (For anti-pms, I also took 350 mgs of omega 3's and an evening primrose oil.)

Is the citrate form not as absorbable, I wonder?

 

epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes

Posted by avid abulia on July 10, 2003, at 11:59:14

In reply to vitamin recommendations? McPac, posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 8:53:08

> > Taking a very good form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, may help. I would seriously try the glycinate form, highly absorbable.
>
> Did you suggest this as a form of migraine prevention?
>
> When I remember to, I'm currently taking 5 cal-mag citrate (1875 mgs) daily. .)
>
> Is the citrate form not as absorbable, I wonder?
>


Hey, i have migraines and epilepsy, both. He is probably concerned about epilepsy as a possible cause because it is not uncommon to see persisting neurological deficits in epilepsy (it can happen in migraine, but is less frequent). The sleep apnea would be an issue, because some evidence suggests that migraine is at least partially related to poor oxygen metabolism in the mitochondria (which is why riboflavin is often recommended--it improves oxygen utilization there). Magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate are roughly the same so far as bioavailability is concerned--but magnesium glycinate, as well as magnesium taurinate, may be superior because the glycine and taurine derived from these forms are both inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters.

Additionally, researchers at the university of colorado have found through MRI studies that the lower brain centers of migraineurs have crystalline iron deposits in them--so iron restiction may help, or may not. Curcuminoids, found in turmeric, chelate free iron and lead to kidney excretion, so in theory putting more turmeric (preferably in the form of curry, because the black pepper in curry dramatically increases absorption) *might* help, all though i know of no studies backing this.

You mention that your neurological changes have gotten worse, the more you experience migraines--perhaps (if you have good insurance!) Keppra may be useful in that case, because it (more so than other AEDs used for migraine prophylaxis) has been shown to have a specific anti-kindling effect (i.e. it prevents and reverses the phenomenon of more attacks leading to increased frequency and severity in a vicious cycle).

There is very little support for use of triptans as prophylactic drugs, and there is quite a bit of evidence for adverse vascular effects such as stroke and hypertension. They also exacerbate pre-existing seizure disorders. You may want to discuss risk/benefit ratio with your doc.

I currently am using a combo of Lamictal and Keppra, for prophylaxis of seizures and migraine, as well as for "bipolar disorder due to a general medical condition" and when i experience the prodromal symptoms (the symptoms in the day(s) before the aura and actual attack) i take diltiazem CD (a calcium-channel blocker) to make sure my arteries stay dilated (the symptoms of migraine are due to spasm of arteries and a resulting dilation of arterioles in an effort to force greater blood flow by creating a vacuum effect)... i only take the diltiazem during the prodromal period to make sure my body doesn't build a tolerance to it, because it most annoyingly does that quite easily to most drugs, more so than the average person.

A rescue drug that has received relatively little attention, but has fairly good support, is an intravenous bolus of magnesium sulfate, 500-1000mg. You might wish to discuss that with your doc.

Additionally, fish oils are sometimes useful, because of their anti-inflammatory and neurotrophic (nerve-nourishing) effects.

Hope that helps some.

~AA

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by Angel1 on July 10, 2003, at 21:41:47

In reply to menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by bookgurl99 on July 8, 2003, at 13:15:35

I know you are only 27, but maybe it is hormonally related. the week of your period, your estrogen and progesterone are at a low point.

Researchers are finding out now that some women's hormones are too low and it affects their minds and bodies in negative ways. You might want to get your hormone levels checked, even at your age. Especially, estradiol levels. I know it may sound like a long shot, but it could be the answer too. =It's my Ovaries, Stupid= is the name of the book for such information.

 

Re: epilepsy questions

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 22:45:39

In reply to epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes, posted by avid abulia on July 10, 2003, at 11:59:14

AA,

thanks so much for your well-thought-out post.

a question re: persistent neuro deficits in epilepsy; do you ever get some of these losses back? last year, when i had my 'severe migraine'/whatever, i became quite confused. (btw, this was accompanied with a severe headache.) however, within a few weeks i had 'most' of me back, except for a persistent shorter term memory and (to me) slightly slower processing. scans (ct and mri) and eeg, as you know, showed nothing.

i guess i am really fearful of not overcoming the latest (mostly mild) loss. i am noticing when i scan to read or to find something in the market that my processing is once again slower. i also think that the neuro changes push me further into depression.

my other concern is; are you able to lead a relatively normal life, despite the diagnosis? i have a strong desire to make a lasting change in the world. my latest plan, before the latest bad migraine, was to go on to study speech language pathology. (i'm sure i still have the capacity to do it, but i fear losing the capacity if these continue.)

also, any suggestions re: keppra and side effects of it? i want to avoid meds if at all possible.

books

> > > Taking a very good form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, may help. I would seriously try the glycinate form, highly absorbable.
> >
> > Did you suggest this as a form of migraine prevention?
> >
> > When I remember to, I'm currently taking 5 cal-mag citrate (1875 mgs) daily. .)
> >
> > Is the citrate form not as absorbable, I wonder?
> >
>
>
> Hey, i have migraines and epilepsy, both. He is probably concerned about epilepsy as a possible cause because it is not uncommon to see persisting neurological deficits in epilepsy (it can happen in migraine, but is less frequent). The sleep apnea would be an issue, because some evidence suggests that migraine is at least partially related to poor oxygen metabolism in the mitochondria (which is why riboflavin is often recommended--it improves oxygen utilization there). Magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate are roughly the same so far as bioavailability is concerned--but magnesium glycinate, as well as magnesium taurinate, may be superior because the glycine and taurine derived from these forms are both inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters.
>
> Additionally, researchers at the university of colorado have found through MRI studies that the lower brain centers of migraineurs have crystalline iron deposits in them--so iron restiction may help, or may not. Curcuminoids, found in turmeric, chelate free iron and lead to kidney excretion, so in theory putting more turmeric (preferably in the form of curry, because the black pepper in curry dramatically increases absorption) *might* help, all though i know of no studies backing this.
>
> You mention that your neurological changes have gotten worse, the more you experience migraines--perhaps (if you have good insurance!) Keppra may be useful in that case, because it (more so than other AEDs used for migraine prophylaxis) has been shown to have a specific anti-kindling effect (i.e. it prevents and reverses the phenomenon of more attacks leading to increased frequency and severity in a vicious cycle).
>
> There is very little support for use of triptans as prophylactic drugs, and there is quite a bit of evidence for adverse vascular effects such as stroke and hypertension. They also exacerbate pre-existing seizure disorders. You may want to discuss risk/benefit ratio with your doc.
>
> I currently am using a combo of Lamictal and Keppra, for prophylaxis of seizures and migraine, as well as for "bipolar disorder due to a general medical condition" and when i experience the prodromal symptoms (the symptoms in the day(s) before the aura and actual attack) i take diltiazem CD (a calcium-channel blocker) to make sure my arteries stay dilated (the symptoms of migraine are due to spasm of arteries and a resulting dilation of arterioles in an effort to force greater blood flow by creating a vacuum effect)... i only take the diltiazem during the prodromal period to make sure my body doesn't build a tolerance to it, because it most annoyingly does that quite easily to most drugs, more so than the average person.
>
> A rescue drug that has received relatively little attention, but has fairly good support, is an intravenous bolus of magnesium sulfate, 500-1000mg. You might wish to discuss that with your doc.
>
> Additionally, fish oils are sometimes useful, because of their anti-inflammatory and neurotrophic (nerve-nourishing) effects.
>
> Hope that helps some.
>
> ~AA

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 23:01:35

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by Angel1 on July 10, 2003, at 21:41:47

hmm. wonder if in the same dr's visit, i could bring up :

+ seeing an endo for my girl hormones.

+ possibly getting tested for sleep apnea.

+ getting an eeg in case my 'migraines' are part of epilepsy.

wouldn't make me sound like too much of a hypochondriac, now would it?

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by Ed O`Flaherty on July 11, 2003, at 16:16:04

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 23:01:35

It looks like migraine here.Have you considered blocking ovulation e.g. by having a Mirena intra-uterine contraceptive coil fitted or by having Depo-Provera injections? The contraceptive pill may make migraine worse and is contraindicated if you get focal migraine where e.g. you lose the power of a limb.If that is not a problem consider taking the pill for 3 months without a break (omitting the dummy pills) and you will get only 4 attacks per year.

 

Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!

Posted by noa on July 11, 2003, at 19:41:21

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by Ed O`Flaherty on July 11, 2003, at 16:16:04

I have a friend who has menstrual seizures. It was diagnosed as epilepsy, then the dx was changed to migraines, and then back to epilepsy again. But she definitely has many more seizures around her period.

 

Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes avid abulia

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 11, 2003, at 21:38:57

In reply to epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes, posted by avid abulia on July 10, 2003, at 11:59:14

> I currently am using a combo of Lamictal and Keppra, for prophylaxis of seizures and migraine, as well as for "bipolar disorder due to a general medical condition" and when i experience the prodromal symptoms (the symptoms in the day(s) before the aura and actual attack)

this combination of disorders sounds interesting, particularly because they sound - - familiar to my experience. two days before a severe (and remember, usually painles) 'migraine,' i become quite hypomanic. this has never been severe enough to earn me a dx of bipolar, but i wonder if the conditions are related -- if that is why the same medications work for all 3.

i am curious about how you got diagnosed and were able to pinpoint the 3 different disorders?

books

 

Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes bookgurl99

Posted by Dinah on July 12, 2003, at 17:44:56

In reply to Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes avid abulia, posted by bookgurl99 on July 11, 2003, at 21:38:57

Migraine has so many odd ways of expressing itself. I was really worried about my neurological functioning before I read "Migraine" by Oliver W. Sacks and realized that so many things that seemed so odd occurred around the same time as my migraines. I get migraines off and on for a period of time, maybe a couple of weeks. Then I have periods when nothing could trigger a migraine. It doesn't seem related to my menstrual cycle, but may be related to my cyclothymic mood cycle. I wonder if they have done any research on the connection between the three. At any rate, before the actual headaches start (and between headaches) solid objects seem insubstantial, everything seems a bit "off", and I describe things that had my therapist writing furiously in his notes. But I now think they're "just" migraine things, not temporal lobe epilepsy or anything more serious.

Who knows though...

 

Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes bookgurl99

Posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 21:55:58

In reply to Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes avid abulia, posted by bookgurl99 on July 11, 2003, at 21:38:57


> this combination of disorders sounds interesting, particularly because they sound - - familiar to my experience. two days before a severe (and remember, usually painles) 'migraine,' i become quite hypomanic. this has never been severe enough to earn me a dx of bipolar, but i wonder if the conditions are related -- if that is why the same medications work for all 3.
>
> i am curious about how you got diagnosed and were able to pinpoint the 3 different disorders?
>
> books


Huh! How did i get diagnosed?! Man, that would be a book on its own, there... long story short, i confused the hell out of loads of doctors and was referred to more and more highly respected experts, until finally i was seen by a guy from Syria, a guy from Laos, and a guy from California, *and somehow my insurance actually paid for all of them!* and together they figured it out... it took a lot of brain scans (if i ever see another MRI again... )

But yeah, it is speculated that all three disorders may be linked, at least in some people. There is pretty good evidence that they are, at least in some patients, disorders of the proteins that gate the entry of ions in and out of cells.

~AA

 

Re: epilepsy questions bookgurl99

Posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:13:47

In reply to Re: epilepsy questions, posted by bookgurl99 on July 10, 2003, at 22:45:39


> a question re: persistent neuro deficits in epilepsy; do you ever get some of these losses back? last year, when i had my 'severe migraine'/whatever, i became quite confused. (btw, this was accompanied with a severe headache.) however, within a few weeks i had 'most' of me back, except for a persistent shorter term memory and (to me) slightly slower processing. scans (ct and mri) and eeg, as you know, showed nothing.


The brain has remarkable healing capacities, whatever anyone else might try to tell you... and the more mentally active you stay, the more it helps. I've had some slight deficits (mainly in recognizing faces) that are slowly but surely improving. But the longer the damaging process goes on, the less likely total recovery becomes.

Inter-ictal EEGs (EEGs taken between seizures) are still normal in 50% of people with chronic seizure disorders... and unless you have brain surgery to implant leads deep in your brain, they can't "see" *everywhere* (just almost everywhere). So many epileptologists are starting to believe that consistent medical history coupled with a response to AEDs is more reliably indicative of epilepsy than an EEG, in some cases.

Keppra... well, it really depends on the person, but more so even than that, it depends on how long you are willing to tough it out if the initial fog is very bad for you. It is one of the more easily tolerated AEDs, it is not like Dopey-max or Tegretal in that it has a good chance of turning you into a drooling idiot (or at least someone who feels like one). For me, the main problem was short-term memory loss and drowsiness, but that has improved over the last month of being on a stable dose, and it continues to get easier every day.

Eh... one side effect i feel pretty ambivalent about is, it has made me lose weight. I am anorexic, so while i perceive it as a good thing, the rational parts of me say, "Dude! Your BMI is less than 16 right now, you better eat before you catch the fast train to Slab City, pal."

~AA

 

Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes Dinah

Posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:24:23

In reply to Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes bookgurl99, posted by Dinah on July 12, 2003, at 17:44:56

>It doesn't seem related to my menstrual cycle, but may be related to my cyclothymic mood cycle. I wonder if they have done any research on the connection between the three. At any rate, before the actual headaches start (and between headaches) solid objects seem insubstantial, everything seems a bit "off", and I describe things that had my therapist writing furiously in his notes. But I now think they're "just" migraine things, not temporal lobe epilepsy or anything more serious.
*****************************

Estrogenic hormones (estradiol, etc.) are calcium-channel blockers, so hormone fluctuations could well have an effect on any thing that is heavily influenced by ion-distribution... and *something* has to be messing with ion distribution if it ever turns out that that is involved in bipolar-spectrum disorders, so there are probably other factors involved... calcitonin and calcitonin-gene-regulating factor come to mind, just because those are some things that fall within my limited knowledge, and i am sure that other things, things that influence magnesium absorption, distribution, and excretion, probably could effect things in similar ways, as well as vanadium and vitamin C and vitamin E, but my knowledge of ion ATPases, ionophores, etc. is pretty rudimentary as i am not like a research scientist or anything, just a geek with too much time on my paws.

~AA

 

Dr. Ed--in all due respect...

Posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:44:29

In reply to Re: menstrual migraines or epilepsy? so frustrated!, posted by Ed O`Flaherty on July 11, 2003, at 16:16:04

> It looks like migraine here.Have you considered blocking ovulation e.g. by having a Mirena intra-uterine contraceptive coil fitted or by having Depo-Provera injections? The contraceptive pill may make migraine worse and is contraindicated if you get focal migraine where e.g. you lose the power of a limb.If that is not a problem consider taking the pill for 3 months without a break (omitting the dummy pills) and you will get only 4 attacks per year.
****************************

I'm quite curious (and i'm quite aware it is totally irrelevant in my situation, but curiosity is my nature)... how do you know that 4 attacks will occur per year? What triggers those? Is it, like on the solstices and the equinoxes, or what? How do you know that hormonal therapy would not be even more effective, and help her even more in this instance?

Is that the advice you give all of your patients, do you tell them, do this, and you will get 4 attacks per year... and presto! Just as predicted, 4 attacks per year?

Because to me--bear with me, i'm a terrible thorn in peoples sides--it would seem like, while your advice is undoubtedly sound (you are a doctor, i am not, and i would completely bow to your advice with no questioning if this hadn't been so glaring to me)... you are not being very aware of the power of suggestion that doctors have over their patients.

While i am aware that this is a forum for medical treatments, the power of suggestion has power over physical ailments and ergo one could safely guess that there is some physical influence involved there... and while i am aware many people in positions of authority like doctors do not like to hear questions phrased like this, and i am totally at the mercy of yourself and the moderators to not be booted for this, which is not meant to be a heckle... I am still curious, and if there is a good physiological explanation for why it would be 4, and not "about 4," or "4 or less," i would be interested to hear it. If i am out of line by bringing such a concern up, please tell me and i will never again do such a thing.

~AA

 

Re: Dr. Ed--in all due respect... avid abulia

Posted by Zenclearer on July 12, 2003, at 23:40:24

In reply to Dr. Ed--in all due respect..., posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:44:29

I am gussing that the 4 migraines per year result from the 4 intervals between taking the 3-month duration of BC pills (no dummies). That's: 3 into 12 months = 4.

> > It looks like migraine here.Have you considered blocking ovulation e.g. by having a Mirena intra-uterine contraceptive coil fitted or by having Depo-Provera injections? The contraceptive pill may make migraine worse and is contraindicated if you get focal migraine where e.g. you lose the power of a limb.If that is not a problem consider taking the pill for 3 months without a break (omitting the dummy pills) and you will get only 4 attacks per year.
> ****************************
>
> I'm quite curious (and i'm quite aware it is totally irrelevant in my situation, but curiosity is my nature)... how do you know that 4 attacks will occur per year? What triggers those? Is it, like on the solstices and the equinoxes, or what? How do you know that hormonal therapy would not be even more effective, and help her even more in this instance?
>
> Is that the advice you give all of your patients, do you tell them, do this, and you will get 4 attacks per year... and presto! Just as predicted, 4 attacks per year?
>
> Because to me--bear with me, i'm a terrible thorn in peoples sides--it would seem like, while your advice is undoubtedly sound (you are a doctor, i am not, and i would completely bow to your advice with no questioning if this hadn't been so glaring to me)... you are not being very aware of the power of suggestion that doctors have over their patients.
>
> While i am aware that this is a forum for medical treatments, the power of suggestion has power over physical ailments and ergo one could safely guess that there is some physical influence involved there... and while i am aware many people in positions of authority like doctors do not like to hear questions phrased like this, and i am totally at the mercy of yourself and the moderators to not be booted for this, which is not meant to be a heckle... I am still curious, and if there is a good physiological explanation for why it would be 4, and not "about 4," or "4 or less," i would be interested to hear it. If i am out of line by bringing such a concern up, please tell me and i will never again do such a thing.
>
> ~AA

 

Re: Dr. Ed--in all due respect... Zenclearer

Posted by avid abulia on July 13, 2003, at 15:53:32

In reply to Re: Dr. Ed--in all due respect... avid abulia, posted by Zenclearer on July 12, 2003, at 23:40:24

i must misread this then... I got the impression he was saying take a 3 month course, not take continuous three-month courses.


> I am gussing that the 4 migraines per year result from the 4 intervals between taking the 3-month duration of BC pills (no dummies). That's: 3 into 12 months = 4.
>
> > > It looks like migraine here.Have you considered blocking ovulation e.g. by having a Mirena intra-uterine contraceptive coil fitted or by having Depo-Provera injections? The contraceptive pill may make migraine worse and is contraindicated if you get focal migraine where e.g. you lose the power of a limb.If that is not a problem consider taking the pill for 3 months without a break (omitting the dummy pills) and you will get only 4 attacks per year.
> > ****************************
> >
> > I'm quite curious (and i'm quite aware it is totally irrelevant in my situation, but curiosity is my nature)... how do you know that 4 attacks will occur per year? What triggers those? Is it, like on the solstices and the equinoxes, or what? How do you know that hormonal therapy would not be even more effective, and help her even more in this instance?
> >
> > Is that the advice you give all of your patients, do you tell them, do this, and you will get 4 attacks per year... and presto! Just as predicted, 4 attacks per year?
> >
> > Because to me--bear with me, i'm a terrible thorn in peoples sides--it would seem like, while your advice is undoubtedly sound (you are a doctor, i am not, and i would completely bow to your advice with no questioning if this hadn't been so glaring to me)... you are not being very aware of the power of suggestion that doctors have over their patients.
> >
> > While i am aware that this is a forum for medical treatments, the power of suggestion has power over physical ailments and ergo one could safely guess that there is some physical influence involved there... and while i am aware many people in positions of authority like doctors do not like to hear questions phrased like this, and i am totally at the mercy of yourself and the moderators to not be booted for this, which is not meant to be a heckle... I am still curious, and if there is a good physiological explanation for why it would be 4, and not "about 4," or "4 or less," i would be interested to hear it. If i am out of line by bringing such a concern up, please tell me and i will never again do such a thing.
> >
> > ~AA
>
>

 

Re: Dr. Ed--in all due respect...

Posted by Ed O`Flaherty on July 13, 2003, at 18:24:02

In reply to Re: Dr. Ed--in all due respect... Zenclearer, posted by avid abulia on July 13, 2003, at 15:53:32

If you take the pill for 3 months at the time you will probably get a migraine attack only when you come off it for a break and so you will get 4 or 5 a year.Depo-Provera if you are lucky will give you no periods after a few injections (given 12 weeks apart) but the weight gain is often a problem.Mirena might work like that too but it does not suit everybody either.

 

Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes

Posted by Dinah on July 13, 2003, at 20:53:42

In reply to Re: epilepsy, migraine, Mg, permanent neuro changes Dinah, posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:24:23

I did some research today, and found that migraines also have a high comorbidity with essential tremor, as well as epilepsy and bipolar. My mother has familial tremor, which started when she was less than fifty and which really affects her ability to do anything with her hands. I see it's a dominant gene so I've got a fifty fifty chance of inheriting it. Something new to worry about.

On the other hand, she says she's never had a migraine, so perhaps there is no direct correlation.

 

Re: epilepsy questions avid abulia

Posted by bookgurl99 on July 13, 2003, at 23:19:06

In reply to Re: epilepsy questions bookgurl99, posted by avid abulia on July 12, 2003, at 22:13:47

> I've had some slight deficits (mainly in recognizing faces) that are slowly but surely improving. But the longer the damaging process goes on, the less likely total recovery becomes.
>

Yeah; last year I mostly had some visual deficits; scanning, facial recognition -- my brain would sort of 'insert' the wrong person's face from it's bank; then i'd look again and it'd be a different (the 'right') person! Like I said, I got most of it back -- to the point where some days I feel totally normal again. Only at times like now, since my last bad 'migraine' 2 weeks ago, do I have concerns. I hope you can get it all back.


Um . . can I run my last' migraine' past you; since you have both, maybe you can tell me whether to think of it as a 'seizure' or a migraine or both?

Ok -- for two days previous, I was very hyper. My attention span was somewhat low, but my friends said I seemed like my 'old' (before last year's weirdness) self. I felt pretty good, normal brain speed, everything.

Then, I started feeling dizzy out of the blue. Came home, sat down at the computer, and had a sudden balance change -- felt almost as though I 'were' moving, or were going to fall, -- jerked in the chair I was sitting in, clinging to the side to make sure I wouldn't fall. My friend visiting looked at me strangely, but I felt ok and brushed it off.

Next day, got up early, felt ok, went to work. During work became nauseated, had trouble concentrating, tense neck but no real pain, colors looking really bright and blurry left eye vision. Left work early. Rested rest of day.

Whole week after, felt sleepy. Wanted to sleep all the time, but couldn't due to work. Have had little initiative out of work; want to rest. Friends have complained about my low attention span. Have felt a little slow, unusually dumb. Now, two weeks later, my brain still feels slow. I don't recall where I just set something down, etc. things I would normally recall. I had some symptoms like this last year, and after some time they resolved. I hope these do too.

I'm still having many visual weirdnesses -- optical migraines -- and times where I feel slightly better or worse. Today the keyboard I type on at work was 'pulsating' in my vision.

So whad'ya think? Could someone really have a cognition-impairing 'seizure' without losing consciousness? Or am I just having the mother of all migraine disorders?

p.s. i know you're not a dr. _and_ i'm gonna go to my dr. on tue and play dumb; i'm gonna say i keep having these funny migraines.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.