Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 5582

Shown: posts 175 to 199 of 350. Go back in thread:

 

Re: If only it were just withdrawal oona

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 24, 2003, at 1:22:14

In reply to Re: If only it were just withdrawal BarbaraCat, posted by oona on January 23, 2003, at 21:38:23

Thanks Girlfriend,
I had an appointment with a new therapist today, finally broke down and decided I needed more help coping than I wanted to burden my family or friends with. I've had soooo much therapy in the past and it has helped, however, my recent experiences have seemed so mechanical, due to the constraints of managed health care - oops your 20 minutes are up! I believe I'm in good hands with this woman.

One thing that came through is that what I am going through has finally pushed me to my limits. I've always been able to manage, limp through, pull my head above water, go through the motions. But this time I was going down that long dark tunnel with no light. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, so they say, but this has been killing me, snuffing out my life force, too hard. Time to get help. Time to demand my pdoc pay better attention to my plight, both mental and physical. I'm not sure if I want to pile on another med since they don't seem to be helping, so it's unclear what he can do. I'll let him put on his thinking cap cause I don't have any more steam to fight for my own advocacy.

How are you, Oona? I know you've been busy with other things and I truly hope they've been rewarding in a 'making us stronger' way. Proud of you for showing up for work. It's soooo tempting to just pull up the covers and hide from the world, isn't it? But it doesn't help and sure doesn't pay the bills. Thanks so much for your concern, it helps alot. I care about you too. And thanks for your email address. Just might take you up on it. Barbara

> Baarbara,
> Any words I say I feel can not start to touch the pain you are going through now. I can only say my prayers and thoughts are with you and just know that with each ending there is a new beginning. It sounds so trite, but I know it is true. I am so sorry you are losing your home, I hope you can find a place of solace to go to.
> I am sorry I did not realize how much you have endured. I have been away from the board for awhile and have been just trying to keep my head above water and managing to get to work everyday.
> Please feel free to contact me if you need another ear. I am pbdough@plateautel.net.
> peace
> oona

 

Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat

Posted by proud mary on January 25, 2003, at 11:29:14

In reply to Re: Thank you proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 23, 2003, at 14:23:52

Barbara,
I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
Just trying to make you smile a bit.
Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
Let me know!
Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

In reply to Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat, posted by proud mary on January 25, 2003, at 11:29:14

Hi Mary,
What a sweety you are! Reading your post was the first thing I did this morning and it warms my heart. So glad the Lexapro is kicking in for you. It took a while, didn't it? Do you think that's been the main component for feeling better for you? Sometimes I think just getting a bit more motivation to start doing something, anything, is the key. It's the doing part, breaking through the sludge, that heals more than anything.

I believe very much in prayer, although, like you, I'm definitely not of the 'religious' persuasion. I think they have been helping for sure. I broke down and called the crisis line at my HMO and got in to see a therapist and my pdoc and doc in 2 days, which was yesterday. Unheard of! My pdoc wants to keep me on lithium even though my thyroid levels are going through the roof, which I'm sure is contributing to things. But another miracle! my primary care doc, pdoc, and an endocrinologist are going to have a consult about me. This is truly unheard of. My desperation must have made an impression on the triage lady. Pdoc also wants me on nortryptiline, one of the older tricyclic ADs. I don't do well on SSRIs, SNRIs etc., probably because of the bipolar component, so we'll try the older ones for now and continue with lamictal and lithium as well as regular Valium. I honestly never thought I'd come to be so grateful for 'Mother's little helpers' (even though I'm not a Mother unless my 8 furry kids count).

I'm still feeling pretty awful, especially in the mornings, shakey, scared and bleak. Things seem to pick up and become almost normal as the day wears on. I need to somehow start moving my body again since that helps more than anything. But anyone who's been in the grip of such a black place knows how impossible it can be to even get to the bathroom, much less manage a few sit-ups. But I'll just force myself knowing it will do me good. So, things will get better, especially as my thyroid normalizes and Spring arrives.

Your idea about full spectrum light bulbs is fabulous. Yes, utility bills have taken a back seat and I'm going to start flooding the rooms with light. Oregon is beautiful, even in the rain, it's just so difficult to take that first step outside. Keep those prayers coming, Mary. You're in mine as well. (I think if we keep the 'meds' subject going here, we won't get booted over to the 'religion' thread.) - Barbara,


> I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
> Just trying to make you smile a bit.
> Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
> I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
> I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
> Let me know!
> Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat

Posted by ShelliR on January 25, 2003, at 14:08:54

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

Hi Barbaracat,

Just skimming and saw your name. Sorry you're going through another rough patch; I'm glad it looks like someone in the med field has finally taken an interest.

Nothing much to say, it just always makes me feel warm to see your name.

(((Shelli)))

 

Thanks! You folks are great! (nm) ShelliR

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 19:09:41

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat, posted by ShelliR on January 25, 2003, at 14:08:54

 

Re: Barbara, how are you?

Posted by polarbear206 on January 26, 2003, at 9:44:58

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

> Hi Mary,
> What a sweety you are! Reading your post was the first thing I did this morning and it warms my heart. So glad the Lexapro is kicking in for you. It took a while, didn't it? Do you think that's been the main component for feeling better for you? Sometimes I think just getting a bit more motivation to start doing something, anything, is the key. It's the doing part, breaking through the sludge, that heals more than anything.
>
> I believe very much in prayer, although, like you, I'm definitely not of the 'religious' persuasion. I think they have been helping for sure. I broke down and called the crisis line at my HMO and got in to see a therapist and my pdoc and doc in 2 days, which was yesterday. Unheard of! My pdoc wants to keep me on lithium even though my thyroid levels are going through the roof, which I'm sure is contributing to things. But another miracle! my primary care doc, pdoc, and an endocrinologist are going to have a consult about me. This is truly unheard of. My desperation must have made an impression on the triage lady. Pdoc also wants me on nortryptiline, one of the older tricyclic ADs. I don't do well on SSRIs, SNRIs etc., probably because of the bipolar component, so we'll try the older ones for now and continue with lamictal and lithium as well as regular Valium. I honestly never thought I'd come to be so grateful for 'Mother's little helpers' (even though I'm not a Mother unless my 8 furry kids count).
>
> I'm still feeling pretty awful, especially in the mornings, shakey, scared and bleak. Things seem to pick up and become almost normal as the day wears on. I need to somehow start moving my body again since that helps more than anything. But anyone who's been in the grip of such a black place knows how impossible it can be to even get to the bathroom, much less manage a few sit-ups. But I'll just force myself knowing it will do me good. So, things will get better, especially as my thyroid normalizes and Spring arrives.
>
> Your idea about full spectrum light bulbs is fabulous. Yes, utility bills have taken a back seat and I'm going to start flooding the rooms with light. Oregon is beautiful, even in the rain, it's just so difficult to take that first step outside. Keep those prayers coming, Mary. You're in mine as well. (I think if we keep the 'meds' subject going here, we won't get booted over to the 'religion' thread.) - Barbara,
>
>
> > I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
> > Just trying to make you smile a bit.
> > Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
> > I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
> > I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
> > Let me know!
> > Mary
>
>


Hi B Cat!

Sorry to hear your thyroid is out of wack. I think your doc's getting together to brainstorm your condition is a great thing!! Hang in there. Tricyclics should get you activated and make your morning's more pleasant. By the way, I live in Pa. About an hour and a half from Phila. I was in a state of depression after the Eagles blew it. Went to one of the games this season. We are big Flyers fans too!!

Talk to ya later.

Laura.

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? polarbear206

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 26, 2003, at 13:38:11

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you?, posted by polarbear206 on January 26, 2003, at 9:44:58

Hi Laura,
Well, how about that, you're living in PA. I grew up about 5 miles from the Ft. Washington turnpike exit. I was just back there for my Mom's funeral and such this past December and will be back again in April to finalize the emptying of our home and her internment in upstate PA near Hazelton. Phillie has turned out to be such a cool city. It sure wasn't always that way, I remember when Frank Rizzo was Mayor - shudder. But I'm now proud to say that I'm from Phillie, it's truly unique and there's no place on Earth like it. Part of the sorrow of the loss of my Mom is that I'm also losing that whole part of the world. Even if I visit, I can never again go back home and I miss it. You just can't get a decent hoagie out here.

Yes, my thyroid situation is a big problem. It's long standing and was under control until starting lithium. Everything is a push now, just want to lie down, and that's not good. Especially when we all know how crucial it is to move the energy when one has mood disorders.

I'm not clear yet on how tricyclics differ from SSRIs or SSNIs. They all seem to work on the reuptake of serotonin or norepinephrine. I was on desipramine and tofranil eons ago and couldn't get past the side effects, but I'm willing to try again and just hang in there. Have you ever been on tricyclics?

My husband is a big Eagles and Flyers fan as well. Today he's going to revel in watching the Superbowl and I'm going to muddle about trying to tidy up a bit. Haven't even been able to unpack my suitcase from the funeral trip and it's going on 6 weeks. The guest room looks like a tornado hit it. I'm actually looking forward to uncovering all kinds of buried treasure under the piles of stuff.

> Hi B Cat!
>
> Sorry to hear your thyroid is out of wack. I think your doc's getting together to brainstorm your condition is a great thing!! Hang in there. Tricyclics should get you activated and make your morning's more pleasant. By the way, I live in Pa. About an hour and a half from Phila. I was in a state of depression after the Eagles blew it. Went to one of the games this season. We are big Flyers fans too!!
>
> Talk to ya later.
>
> Laura.

 

Re: Barbara, how are you?

Posted by proud mary on January 27, 2003, at 8:05:13

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? polarbear206, posted by BarbaraCat on January 26, 2003, at 13:38:11

Barbara,
It feeds on itself...good feelings that is...I feel good because my post helped you. So, you have really helped me!
I have had a cold this past weekend and been zonked out on otc meds, my lexapro, and some clonazapam. My first real test on Lexapro came this weekend, too. My husband has been out of town for work all last week. My car wouldn't start Friday, the day I promised my newly turned 13-year-old we'd spend the day together to celebrate her birthday (without the other two distractions). So, we decided to use the public transport system! It was very "oregonish" here that day...about 40 and moist. We ended up doing quite a bit of walking due to my ineptness at working the bus system so I got a ton of exercise...I've been so sore these last few days I could barely move...

then my husband got back and was in a rage about who-knows-what friday night. I was very angry at him...slept alot...but! Handled it. I think I'm finally getting to that place where I can deal with this stuff. A month ago I would have been screaming, crying, laying in bed thinking about how it wasn't worth the trouble...marriage, life, motherhood...but not this time. I mean, I can't expect all emotions to just go away, can I? So I think I dealt with it pretty well.

I hope the docs putting all their heads together will produce some results. "Mother's little helpers" is such an apt name for meds...at least in MY case. My kids would grow up being so screwed up if I continued to go the way of the non-medicated...they'd hate me by the time they are 18. Sometimes I think about what would be if I had never had children (life easier?) but I"m not the type to go back and rewrite my history in my head and they really are wonderful, caring kids.

I hope things continue to get better for you...I"m still praying and another thing you have helped me with, unaware, is that you do have me praying again! I"ve rather lost my way with the connection and it feels good to reestablish it.

Furry guys...I love animals. Two years ago we were pet-less...too much to handle in my life without more responsibility..but now, somehow they've all crept into our lives...a puppy who got booted out of a car one day on our block (I have a weakness for abandoned things), A parakeet that someone gave me that has mostly adopted my husband (a blessing to him, too, he's never really had a relationship with animals as an adult, but he ADORES this bird), a big aquarium that my oldest daughter and I found with about two inches of water in it and a huge plecto...left to die at a garbage pick-up site...which led to this long journey of learning about keeping fresh-water fish and having TWO aquariums...one thing leads to another...anyway, that's another mini crisis in my life...I"ve been losing fish this week. I hate losing fish, even if they are three for $1.50 and just...fish.
Anyway, I will continue to keep you posted on my lexapro progress and please hang in there, keep the lights blazing and let me know how you are doing...hopefully those pdoc/docs will be able to balance you out.

If you want to e-mail me directly, please don't hesitate. My e-mail address is mmheid511@aol.com

I'll 'meditate' for you right now!
Love and peace and good feelings....Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by lostsailor on January 28, 2003, at 9:37:46

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you?, posted by proud mary on January 27, 2003, at 8:05:13

I just read your post and to be honest, did not trail all the way to the beg. due, in part, to the surrary you gave at the beging of yours.

What comes around...you summed it up in a great way.

I am doing "ok" on lexapro my-self. Is "oregonish" a real word. I don't feel I've ever heard the weather person use it...lol

peace,

~Tony

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by proud mary on January 29, 2003, at 9:44:17

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary, posted by lostsailor on January 28, 2003, at 9:37:46

Tony,
How long have you been on lexapro? I've noticed that it's beginning to work so well for me, I'm almost euphoric...so much so that I can make up wonderful new weather words like "oregonish"!
Seriously, though, is it really helping you quite a bit?
Let me know...Mary :>)

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by lostsailor on January 29, 2003, at 17:29:57

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary, posted by proud mary on January 29, 2003, at 9:44:17

Hi ...

Well good and bad news...lol. It is working well for me but is mostly used to treat panic attacks, as I have bi-polar disorder order and my mood is almost "regulated" with lamictal. It seems a good med and I have been on all of the "new antis A relative of celexa, which made me slightly hypo-manic, lexapro does not so far, 3 months+/-, seem to have the side effect profile. I dont now if I am the best judge of it related to panic as I am also on a high-octane bezo. Diet for doc...So it goes

Really, though, I like chatting with doc about meds and he seems to enjoy explaining different mechanism of effect and describe lexapro as a "cleaner" form of celexa. He also seems to enjoy writing in my chart as we have these "talks", though. LOl...If its working, go with it. Tell more about all things oragonish...


stay tuned, ~Tony

 

zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by Osama on April 20, 2003, at 10:56:19

In reply to Re: withdrawal symptoms coming off zoloft, posted by JanB on September 18, 2000, at 13:57:23


Im a 34 year old male, and have been taking Zoloft on and of for almost 18 months, and have decided to stop four or five months ago, when I stopped I started feeling dizziness, or vertigo as a doctor referred to it, or to best describe it they were dizzy spells that lasted for a couple of seconds whenever I moved, so I started taking Zoloft again hoping they would stop, at first I started taking 100 mgs, and I repeated the dose when the spells returned, but at some point the 100 mgs were of no use, so I had to double the dose to 200 mgs, but after 3 or 4 days Id feel dizzy again, and I started experiencing other symptoms such as irritability, disorientation, aggressiveness, sleepiness, and became extremely emotional, easily provoked, and felt a general feeling of discomfort and fatigue, all these symptoms were affecting my work and productivity. The only times that I could properly work was when I take my Zoloft dose, which climbed up to 750 mgs/week.
Now I know Im over-dosing and should stop, or at least slowly decrease the dose, Im cutting back by 50 mgs/week. I dont know if Im doing the right thing, but from what Ive been reading about the drugs withdrawal symptoms, they should subside if I slowly cut back. My doctor, doesnt seem to know anything about the drugs withdrawal symptoms, or if it has any at all. Please advise on what to do.

ana

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Osama

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 12:31:37

In reply to zoloft withdrawal symptoms, posted by Osama on April 20, 2003, at 10:56:19

Dear Ana,
Your doctor isn't aware of Zoloft withdrawals? I would respectfully suggest you find another doctor. Most certainly there are very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms with any SSRI. Zoloft's are not as bad as others, say, Paxil or Effexor, but still uncomfortable. What you descibe is classic - the 'swooshies', or the dizziness when turning your head; the 'zaps', or electrical charges that zap you every now and then; bursts of rage and intense irritability (did you know that many of the school shootings were done by kids who abruptly stopped taking SSRIs?)

It takes about 2 months to subside and then about 4-6 to clear out completely. 750mg is very high, as you are well aware. If zoloft is not doing it for you, you may need something else or perhaps an augmentor. I and many of us on this board believe very strongly that a mood stabilizer is suggested when taking an antidepressant. Taking a mood stabilizer now when you're going through these symptoms would help, as would a benzo to get you through the irritability/anxiety that tapering down always brings. You need extra calcium and magnesium and zinc (these help with electrical/chemical nerve impulses and muscle contraction), as well as high doses of Vitamin C, and B complex for general nerve health. Fish oil also helps stabilize cell membranes.

Another suggestion is to ask your doctor to switch you to temporary low dose Prozac to smooth things out. Prozac has a very long half life as opposed to Zoloft's very short one and it makes the tapering alot easier. Remember, you're essentially trying to function on depleted neurotransmitters, fine if you're in a cave, but hell if you're in the world.

Ask your doc about adding a mood stabilizer. You seem to be a very good candidate and Lord knows it's helped me and others here. If your doc doesn't know about mood stabilizers - run!!! No one needs a clueless doc where our delicate wiring is concerned. Good luck, been there and done that. - BarbaraCat

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 20, 2003, at 17:04:38

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Osama, posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 12:31:37

> Dear Ana,
> Your doctor isn't aware of Zoloft withdrawals? I would respectfully suggest you find another doctor. Most certainly there are very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms with any SSRI. Zoloft's are not as bad as others, say, Paxil or Effexor, but still uncomfortable. What you descibe is classic - the 'swooshies', or the dizziness when turning your head; the 'zaps', or electrical charges that zap you every now and then; bursts of rage and intense irritability (did you know that many of the school shootings were done by kids who abruptly stopped taking SSRIs?)
>
> It takes about 2 months to subside and then about 4-6 to clear out completely. 750mg is very high, as you are well aware. If zoloft is not doing it for you, you may need something else or perhaps an augmentor. I and many of us on this board believe very strongly that a mood stabilizer is suggested when taking an antidepressant. Taking a mood stabilizer now when you're going through these symptoms would help, as would a benzo to get you through the irritability/anxiety that tapering down always brings. You need extra calcium and magnesium and zinc (these help with electrical/chemical nerve impulses and muscle contraction), as well as high doses of Vitamin C, and B complex for general nerve health. Fish oil also helps stabilize cell membranes.
>
> Another suggestion is to ask your doctor to switch you to temporary low dose Prozac to smooth things out. Prozac has a very long half life as opposed to Zoloft's very short one and it makes the tapering alot easier. Remember, you're essentially trying to function on depleted neurotransmitters, fine if you're in a cave, but hell if you're in the world.
>
> Ask your doc about adding a mood stabilizer. You seem to be a very good candidate and Lord knows it's helped me and others here. If your doc doesn't know about mood stabilizers - run!!! No one needs a clueless doc where our delicate wiring is concerned. Good luck, been there and done that. - BarbaraCat

Hi BarbaraCat,
I just posted the below (below this message) trying to figure out what was going on with me. and then I found this thread. It's refreshing to hear that I'm going through a "normal" zoloft withdrawal. That sideway elevator feeling while simulatneously licking a battery pretty much describes how I feel. You mention trying mood stabilizers to help ease the withdrawal? I have some Neurontin (gab..something or other). Do you or anyone else have experience with this as an augment to help ease the torture of withdrawal?

and does it really last two months??????????????!!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to actually have had the AD work for you and then go through this. But quite another to keep having to try meds that don't work (which is torture in of itself) but then to have to continually go off the ones that don't work and have to deal with this each time is pure hell. no one understands except those who have been through it, it seems.
i'd appreciate feedback re: neurontin
thanks.
katia

"ANYONE?? who is getting off Zoloft or who has done it? I'm having a nightmare of a time. (I've only been on it for three months). I am not sure if what I'm experiencing was the two weeks I started on wellbutrin, which I stopped. I tapered off of the Zoloft and stopped both the same day. The reason i stopped the WB was b/c I was experiencing those electrical jolts that I had when on Effexor. Now, I don't know if it's the Zoloft w/drawal or the beginning side effects of WB. Every time my heart speeds up a beat (like when I MOVE) electrical jolts go through my fingers. My fingers almost always feel like they were asleep and just waking up. I feel like I"m going to have a heart attack all the time. It's so hard to explain to people, that I've given up. this is subtle torture that I am suffering in silence. How do you explain this wierd shit?:!!!
Frankly, I'm too afraid to go on anything else. I don't have a regular pdoc b/c of the overworked clinic i go to....long story. bottom line I don't have a good doc. I suggest, me the depressed patient, suggest what to go on next and he just agrees. He gave me a starter pack for Serzone, but I'm starting to give up hope about ADs. esp. when this is the second time I've had to go through this electrical torture. I don't know what to do from here. I feel really alone in this and unsupported and my strength for hope and life is dwindling away. I'm not going to start Serzone or anything else right now. I feel too afraid.
I'd like to know how your withdrawal has been from Zoloft. or anyone else for that matter? so hopefully I can know that this won't last forever.
thanks.
katia


 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 17:43:05

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat, posted by Katia on April 20, 2003, at 17:04:38

Hi Katia,
Neurontin should help if it works for you. Some people don't get any response and for some it works great. I gave my stash to my husband and he's getting good results for general anxiety relief. I was on it for a while hoping to ease fibromyalgia pain. It didn't work for that but it did smooth things out in general. I'm Bipolar II, didn't know it, and was desperately in need of any mood stabilizer at that point and it helped.

At first it gave me a lovely fuzzy warm calmness but that response didn't last long and before too long I didn't see the need to take yet another med. But it is an anticonvulsant and helps to stabilize the jaggy electric shock sideways swoopies thing. You're so right. Those who have not experienced this very odd sensation have no idea what we're talking about. Neurontin seems to work best at high doses so you'll have to titrate from 900mg/day up to about 2700mg/day and then back down when you're zoloft symptoms are under control. By the time it starts pooping out as it may for you, you'll be past the worst of the zoloft withdrawal.

Definitely increase magnesium/calcium/zinc, B complex and Vit C, along with a good multivitamin and tons of water. Also try milk thisle herb for getting your liver healthy again. Make sure you're digestion/elimination is working well (probably the most important and overlooked element in any health issue) and if not visit a health food store and ask for advice. Serotonin isn't just in the brain but is a big player in the digestive system. Cutting it off tends to throw the whole body out of whack. Keeping your body extra healthy is crucial because it's under great stress at this time and your immune system can get compromised. Isn't depression fun?

Something to consider is augmenting any antidepressant with some kind of mood stabilizer as a general practice. Maybe neurontin will do the trick for you with whatever else you try. It's such a crap shoot, isn't it, to get the right med combo. Good luck. - BarbaraCat

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 21, 2003, at 18:03:52

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 17:43:05

Thanks Barbara,
Why is it that it's always a good thing to add mood stabilisers to ADs? I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar; only unipolar (it's enough). I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind that.
thanks for the nutri.advice. I have been taking milk thistle daily to help with the liver. I know it's important to look after myself, esp. now, but when I get off balance like this, I just spiral further by making bad decisions. (like drinking too much). anyway, another story altogether.
thanks again.
Katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat, posted by Katia on April 21, 2003, at 18:03:52

Here's what I think the story is with mood stabilizers based on what I've read on this board and my own research and personal experience. Adding the right one helps with the tendency of ADs to poop out, acting as a synergistic augmentor. If you find the right combination you need less of each and the sum is greater than the parts. They work more with the electrical potential rather than the chemical (although some, like lithium, also increase serotonin) so you're hitting more of the entire neuron rather than just the axons/receptors. Depression and bipolar appear to cause neuronal damage and some stabilizers, i.e., lithium, appear to protect against this and benefit the brain by increasing it's cellular plasticity and by creating increased dendritic growth. There seems to be definite anti-aging effects and many life enhancement proponents take lithium for this reason alone. Of course, lithium has it's own bag of problems and it's not the only stabilizer out there, just the one with the most research for this brain protection effect.

I can relate to the drinking thing. A nice glass or three or four of chardonnay is guaranteed to make me feel immediately better but totally crappy the next day or two. Everytime I succumb to it I think it's totally worth it in the moment and everytime I wake up the next morning I know it's not worth it.

> Thanks Barbara,
> Why is it that it's always a good thing to add mood stabilisers to ADs? I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar; only unipolar (it's enough). I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind that.
> thanks for the nutri.advice. I have been taking milk thistle daily to help with the liver. I know it's important to look after myself, esp. now, but when I get off balance like this, I just spiral further by making bad decisions. (like drinking too much). anyway, another story altogether.
> thanks again.
> Katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by McPac on April 22, 2003, at 23:05:42

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

I just wonder how many people get the "anger" side effect from these SSRI's. I KNOW that Zoloft causes anger, agitation and irritability in me. I honestly believe that the biggest reason that I need lithium (I only take 1 lithium a day) is to keep Zoloft's side effects at bay! I want nothing more than to one day be OFF of these chemical trash drugs (Zoloft). It sure seems to me that the psych AD's of yesteryear (15-20 yrs. ago, which I took) had side effects like dry mouth, slight dizziness, etc. whereas todays (ssri's) have dramatically WORSE and far more dangerous side effects and yet mass marketing has brainwashed folks to believe otherwise. I just wonder how many people even on this board need a mood stabilizer BECAUSE OF their Zoloft, Prozac, etc.

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 23, 2003, at 13:37:33

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

Wow, quite a wealth of info there. I've printed it out and will mention it to my next pdoc, whoever that will be.

Where are you? In Cal.?
just curious.
thanks so much for that.
Katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms McPac

Posted by Katia on April 23, 2003, at 13:50:26

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms, posted by McPac on April 22, 2003, at 23:05:42

> I just wonder how many people get the "anger" side effect from these SSRI's. I KNOW that Zoloft causes anger, agitation and irritability in me. I honestly believe that the biggest reason that I need lithium (I only take 1 lithium a day) is to keep Zoloft's side effects at bay! I want nothing more than to one day be OFF of these chemical trash drugs (Zoloft). It sure seems to me that the psych AD's of yesteryear (15-20 yrs. ago, which I took) had side effects like dry mouth, slight dizziness, etc. whereas todays (ssri's) have dramatically WORSE and far more dangerous side effects and yet mass marketing has brainwashed folks to believe otherwise. I just wonder how many people even on this board need a mood stabilizer BECAUSE OF their Zoloft, Prozac, etc.

Maybe an SSRI is not for you? What did you try 15-20 yrs ago? Did it not work? What has your pdoc said? Did s/he put you on a mood stab. and what was her/his reasoning?
katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia

Posted by osama on April 26, 2003, at 14:04:44

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat, posted by Katia on April 20, 2003, at 17:04:38

dear barbara,
thank you for your msg, you mentioned me finding another doctor, where i'm living it's very hard to find a good doctor, and i have given up on my privious one, he doesn't seem to help, you mentioned mood stabilizers and benzo, what i'm thinking of doing is continuing the zoloft cut back by 50 mgs a week till i stop it completely, and probably take a mood stabilizer, i badly need to stabilize my mood! but what are the mood stabilizers? i don't know any. just give me a brand name and i will go and get it, and what is a benzo? if it would help, i would run and get it right away. and would these two help with the dizziness, or vertigo i'm going through?
thank you barbara, i highly appreciate this, you seem to know much more than i do, but i badly need to go off zoloft.
thanks,

ana

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms osama

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 26, 2003, at 14:28:54

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by osama on April 26, 2003, at 14:04:44

Dear Ana,
It's unfortunate that you can't find a good doctor. Most of the following meds suggestions all need prescriptions. As far as decreasing Zoloft, 50 mg per week may be a bit too much. On the other hand, if you don't have any stressful events coming up it may be a good thing to just get it over with. The question is whether the vertigo is caused by Zoloft withdrawal or if there's something else going on. You could always try Dramamine and see if that helps - it would at least give you more info to work with.

Mood stabilizers are prescription meds that typically are considered anti-epileptic drugs because they have the ability to smooth out how fast or in sync the neurons fire. They've been found to help with other mood disorders, especially bipolar, but also when an SSRI is not working. The common ones are lithium, depakote, neurontin, tegretol. I've been greatly helped by lithium because SSRI's would work for awhile and then quit and I'd have to increase to dangerous doses. I also believe my symptoms are bipolar II mainly with depression.

Benzos are prescription tranquilizers like valium, ativan (lorezapam), Klonopin and others. They chill you out considerably when going through the withdrawal crazies and also have mood stabilizer properties. If you have an ongoing anxiety condition then benzos are used for an extended time. The problem is that one builds up a tolerance to them after a while.

I don't recall what you're condition is and why you're going off Zoloft? Like Mike said, maybe you're not on the right AD. Of course, with no doctor around it's difficult to get a good diagnosis and help.

Have you tried fish oil or SAM-e? They're over the counter and can help with depression. You have to get very good quality fish oil because of pollutants and randicity. A good one is Carson's Cod Liver Oil, lemon flavored. You'll need about 2 tablespoons a day. If nothing else you'll notice your skin and hair getting gorgeous! A good website that has great prices on vitamins,etc., is

www.iherb.com

Ana, if you have a mood disorder then you'll need the correct meds until you're over the hump. I'm very much into nutrition, yoga, meditation, etc., and have tried countless times to 'do it on my own' and had to throw in the towel every time. If you live out in the boonies and have no recourse to a good pdoc then perhaps you can do some research on the web, get very informed, and then tell the nearest doctor what you need. Or else, you could find an online doctor who could do telephone consults. I don't have anyone to recommend but it's worth a try. Would you mind telling me again what your symptoms are? Perhaps put out a new post on the Babble board asking for suggestions. I sure know I've been helped immensely from friends on this board. - BarbaraCat


> thank you for your msg, you mentioned me finding another doctor, where i'm living it's very hard to find a good doctor, and i have given up on my privious one, he doesn't seem to help, you mentioned mood stabilizers and benzo, what i'm thinking of doing is continuing the zoloft cut back by 50 mgs a week till i stop it completely, and probably take a mood stabilizer, i badly need to stabilize my mood! but what are the mood stabilizers? i don't know any. just give me a brand name and i will go and get it, and what is a benzo? if it would help, i would run and get it right away. and would these two help with the dizziness, or vertigo i'm going through?
> thank you barbara, i highly appreciate this, you seem to know much more than i do, but i badly need to go off zoloft.
> thanks,
>
> ana

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 26, 2003, at 17:04:06

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms osama, posted by Barbara Cat on April 26, 2003, at 14:28:54

Hi Barbara,
thanks again for your info. I too am very much into nutrition, meditation, and yoga. and it seemed that was also a subconscious defense on my part for trying to heal this depression for so many years to no avail; like you throwing in the towel. which is why I am adament about finding a good doct.

On another note, if this is a place for resources, here's one. The American Drug Club in San Leandro California. They get medication from Canada at like a 1/4 the price. however, there is no "FDA" approval in this, but what the hell. life is too expensive here in USA dealing with this issue. So a word of caution there. It's a bit tricky b/c I find this board as a more valuable resource than any doctor I've encountered, but then again most of us aren't doctors and need also to proceed with caution when heading the advice of others.

I mentioned Neurontin to my therapist (who works in conjunction with a pdoc, not mine however) and she mentioned that Neurontin is no longer really being used as a mood stabliser b/c it was ineffective. that's a med I actually have here at home and wanted to take it to help ease the w/drawals of Zoloft. But now I've chosen not to. I just need a good pdoc! In my area as well, there are more people in need of a pdoc than there are pdocs. Bay area of Cal. any other feed-back along these lines?
katia

 

BarbCat, Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by McPac on April 27, 2003, at 1:24:11

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms osama, posted by Barbara Cat on April 26, 2003, at 14:28:54

Hi Barb!
I thought I recalled on these boards a while back that some here were saying that someone could take Benadryl to ease the Zoloft withdrawal symptoms? I could be totally wrong and mistaken about that, does that ring a bell to you? I'm already taking my vitamins, minerals, etc., but do you know of any ideas to help the process? I bumped my Zoloft dosage back up to its usual dosage because I've thought of another plan....I think I'm going to raise my Remeron dose (currently a puny dose) and stay at a decent Remeron dosage for awhile and THEN begin lowering the Zoloft...hopefully the higher Remeron dosage could compensate for lowering the Zoloft. Do you think Remeron could be used (like some use Prozac) to help the Zoloft withdrawal? (I can't use Prozac myself, it makes me NUTS!) Did Zoloft ever cause anger/temper/irrit. problems for you? (I don't mean during withdrawal but during regular usage?) Thanks & Take Care!

 

katia, Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by McPac on April 27, 2003, at 1:29:24

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms McPac, posted by Katia on April 23, 2003, at 13:50:26

Hi Katia!

"Maybe an SSRI is not for you? What did you try 15-20 yrs ago? Did it not work? What has your pdoc said? Did s/he put you on a mood stab. and what was her/his reasoning?
katia"

Yes, perhaps they aren't for me......I was on stuff like Nardil, imipramine, desyrl long ago.....some worked better than others...I just recall the side effects being much, much easier to deal with, for me anyway.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.