Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 5582

Shown: posts 169 to 193 of 350. Go back in thread:

 

Re: withdrawal symptoms coming off zoloft BarbaraCat

Posted by oona on January 21, 2003, at 22:03:04

In reply to Re: withdrawal symptoms coming off zoloft oona, posted by BarbaraCat on January 20, 2003, at 2:20:33

Hi Barbara and this for Mary too..
Sometimes we have to get by one day at a time, one hour at a time or even 1 minute at a time...I don't want to try another med right now and have to go thru all the side effects again. I would love to just stop taking all of the meds and try the holistic way but have to stay on an even keel to get to work every day and hell would probably break loose without close watch. But wouldnt it be neat to have enough money to go away to one of those fancy spas and just sweat it all out and have someone take care of you for a long while and maybe even an Indian Shaman to give you magic herbs that would cure you and chase away the evil spirits.
Well, back to reality. I guess the one day at a time will have to suffice until something better comes along.
peace,
paula

 

If only it were just withdrawal oona

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 22, 2003, at 13:40:06

In reply to Re: withdrawal symptoms coming off zoloft BarbaraCat, posted by oona on January 21, 2003, at 22:03:04

Dear Oona,
Your lovely message was very needed right at this moment. Thanks for the encouragement to move through it one moment at a time. Yes, I would so welcome being able to just rest, be taken care of, have my tense and hurting body lovingly pampered, soothed and attended to, a wise teacher present to offer words of wisdom and experience, loving friends nearby, clean lace-edged sheets and fluffy comforters and a big oak bed with carvings of leafs and flowers to rest upon. With the knowledge that there is enough money to take care of things while I heal, that my cats and husband are looked after and doing well, that a wonderful fulfilling job is waiting for me when I emerge from this tranquil place of restoring, that my home will be kept up and clean when I return to it, bills and taxes paid with food in the fridge. Yes, this image sustains me.

Last night I had yet another frightening shock that I had been anticipating. As you probably know, my Mother died suddenly last month after being hit by a car while out walking. Too much to do across country to get all worked out and the house ready for showing in 9 days left me already in grief and depletion. I had been having terrible premonitions all this past weekend that something was wrong, pacing, distracted, something terribly wrong. Dreams of fire, explosion, bombings. I have many prescient feelings that I've learned to trust because 90% of the time when this strong, they are right. But I've been through so much lately that I don't know what is personal trauma, world terror, paranoia, or true premonition anymore. I'm in a state of shock and not tracking very well. Add to this my failing thyroid and our very serious financial situation and the fact that my husband's father was recently diagnosed with cancerous lymphoma and his Mom with alzheimers. He's got his own traumas, is emotionally paralyzed and can't manage to even look for work much less handle my traumas.

It turns out that during an open house over the weekend, someone had turned on all the knobs on the gas range and gas was literally pouring throughout the house all weekend. All it would have taken for a massive explosion was a single spark, a lit match. Thank the good God that someone smelled it on the street and had a neighbor break in, call the file deparment, full catastrophe garmented workers with gas masks entered and turned everything off. This could pose problems because it's very cold back there and some hot water heater gas is necessary to prevent pipes from bursting, although now at least the gas range and oven is decommissioned. There is some saturation and we don't know how much damage, being 3,500 miles away. So much can happen while the house is empty and we are so far away that all I can do is envision light around it and pray for it's protection.

I've been feeling that there is some evil energy at work, that some strange darkness is vying for my life force, as well as so many other's. This has gone beyond the fears engendered by depression. Tangible disastrous events are a reality in my life and not the product of a broken brain. There has simply been too much and I'm at a loss as to how to cope.

I now realize that I must come to a place of surrender in all things and learn to trust. That is my supreme life lesson, and it is HARD. We have no jobs, at the end of our savings and retirement, my thyroid is failing, the shock of my Mom's death, losing my childhood home and never being able to return to the place of my roots, isolated here in a small town where we have no close friends, and the quiet land sanctuary surrounding our home posed for destruction and development which could begin at any moment. But although I don't know as yet how to trust and surrender to this frightening picture, I at least know that I WANT to release my death grip of fearing yet more loss. That will have to be a start, I don't know how else to proceed. Like you, I have no hope in any new medication. The only medication that offers relief is one that would render me unconscious for a few months, and I can't afford that right now, too much to do even though running on empty. This has to be dealt with in a different way, but the path is obscured. I think about Frodo setting out on his journey, "I will take the Ring, although I do not know the way." Love and blessings and comfort to you as well. - Barbara

> Hi Barbara and this for Mary too..
> Sometimes we have to get by one day at a time, one hour at a time or even 1 minute at a time...I don't want to try another med right now and have to go thru all the side effects again. I would love to just stop taking all of the meds and try the holistic way but have to stay on an even keel to get to work every day and hell would probably break loose without close watch. But wouldnt it be neat to have enough money to go away to one of those fancy spas and just sweat it all out and have someone take care of you for a long while and maybe even an Indian Shaman to give you magic herbs that would cure you and chase away the evil spirits.
> Well, back to reality. I guess the one day at a time will have to suffice until something better comes along.
> peace,
> paula
>

 

Barbara and oona BarbaraCat

Posted by proud mary on January 23, 2003, at 13:03:38

In reply to If only it were just withdrawal oona, posted by BarbaraCat on January 22, 2003, at 13:40:06

It is so difficult, I'm finding. I am actually starting to long for my zoloft, poopout and all. I don't think the Lexapro is working for me and I detailed what's going on in another posting but I'm still so confused about this message board thing, I'm not sure where it ended up. The bottom line is, after 13 days, I feel like I'm getting a bit WORSE, not better. What do ya'll think?

I wish I felt like I could go the natural route and try to cope with meditation, massage, excersize and good eating habits. But I can't even get myself to walk the dog. I must say, though, you guys have given me new thoughts and insights into taking these chemicals. However, I also know you understand what it can be like without the chemical help.
I do need avice about the Lexapro, though. I am getting super crabby in the afternoons, so much so that I am horribly hard on the kids. That is the main thing that bothers me, that and the unsettled feeling that seems to get worse and worse as the evening goes on. .5 mg. of klonopin doesn't seem to do the job anymore...I'm taking 1 mg and getting some relief, but it bugs me that I am so unsettled.
I just want to feel GOOD. I've always been a fairly upbeat person and I realize that not everyone needs to be *HAPPY HAPPY* at all times, but this unsettled crankiness is horrible.

I am thinking about calling the pdoc today and complaining, but I'm not sure I've given the Lex a real chance to work. Plus things have been more stressful than usual because the kids have been sick and I've missed work and my husband's been out of town...and on and on....ugh.
One odd thought, though...doing housework seems to sooth me. Weird, huh? It as if I just want to hole up in my house and do dishes, vaccuum, dust, etc...are ya'll now thinking that I REALLY have a problem?

Barbara, I'm sorry about your mom. I know how that feels because my dad died unexpectedly 11 years ago and then about three years ago, my oldest brother (50) and caretaker of the family died TOTALLY unexpectedly overseas where he lived and worked. I thought I took the whole situation very well at the time, but sometimes I find the unfairness of it all sneaking in and making me angry. Unresolved grief? Not enough drugs? I just don't know. Really, I shouldn't complain because everything in my life is pretty damn good...I just have this little mood problem....

thanks for the support.....I REALLY do appreciate it!
Mary

 

Barbara

Posted by proud mary on January 23, 2003, at 13:30:13

In reply to Barbara and oona BarbaraCat, posted by proud mary on January 23, 2003, at 13:03:38

Barbara,
I am speechless with sympathy of the difficult times you are experiencing. Why is it that not one thing goes wrong, which we may or may not be able to handle, but that EVERYTHING goes wrong all at once?
I am NOT a fanatical religious person but I do believe in a light, warm, loving energy who is good and caring and to this entity I will pray for you to have help coping with all of these negative things taking place in your life. That you and your husband will find comfort somehow with the news or his parents health problems, that neighbors and friends will come to your aid during this time of paralyzing trouble, that some of the load will be lifted from you to give you time to heal and rest and find your strenghth again. If I was your neighbor, I would come in and help you any way I could. I know this isn't about meds, but this is how I know to reach you and I want you to know I'm thinking about you and praying for you.

Mary

 

Re: Thank you proud mary

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 23, 2003, at 14:23:52

In reply to Barbara, posted by proud mary on January 23, 2003, at 13:30:13

Mary,
Your kind thoughts and prayers help more than any meds. With that, I am going to see my pdoc tomorrow and once again try to figure out if yet another med will help with this paralysis and despair. I'm telling you, I'm ready to beg for electro shock at this point.

It's the despair, feelings of total hopelessness and expectation that things will only get worse that is unbearable. Trying to get out and take a walk, although I think it will eventually perk me up, is just about impossible. I can barely think to tie up my shoes much less brave the cold grey Oregon dampness. Let's keep each other in our prayers extra special during these times. I truly believe in that loving energy as well, although during these times I feel totally cut off from it. Keep doing that housework! It's not crazy at all and if you can do it, it's probably the most organizing and brightening activity you can take on. Plus, better than wallowing in physical clutter on top of the mental clutter, eh? - Barbara

> Barbara,
> I am speechless with sympathy of the difficult times you are experiencing. Why is it that not one thing goes wrong, which we may or may not be able to handle, but that EVERYTHING goes wrong all at once?
> I am NOT a fanatical religious person but I do believe in a light, warm, loving energy who is good and caring and to this entity I will pray for you to have help coping with all of these negative things taking place in your life. That you and your husband will find comfort somehow with the news or his parents health problems, that neighbors and friends will come to your aid during this time of paralyzing trouble, that some of the load will be lifted from you to give you time to heal and rest and find your strenghth again. If I was your neighbor, I would come in and help you any way I could. I know this isn't about meds, but this is how I know to reach you and I want you to know I'm thinking about you and praying for you.
>
> Mary

 

Re: If only it were just withdrawal BarbaraCat

Posted by oona on January 23, 2003, at 21:38:23

In reply to If only it were just withdrawal oona, posted by BarbaraCat on January 22, 2003, at 13:40:06

Baarbara,
Any words I say I feel can not start to touch the pain you are going through now. I can only say my prayers and thoughts are with you and just know that with each ending there is a new beginning. It sounds so trite, but I know it is true. I am so sorry you are losing your home, I hope you can find a place of solace to go to.
I am sorry I did not realize how much you have endured. I have been away from the board for awhile and have been just trying to keep my head above water and managing to get to work everyday.
Please feel free to contact me if you need another ear. I am pbdough@plateautel.net.
peace
oona

 

Re: If only it were just withdrawal oona

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 24, 2003, at 1:22:14

In reply to Re: If only it were just withdrawal BarbaraCat, posted by oona on January 23, 2003, at 21:38:23

Thanks Girlfriend,
I had an appointment with a new therapist today, finally broke down and decided I needed more help coping than I wanted to burden my family or friends with. I've had soooo much therapy in the past and it has helped, however, my recent experiences have seemed so mechanical, due to the constraints of managed health care - oops your 20 minutes are up! I believe I'm in good hands with this woman.

One thing that came through is that what I am going through has finally pushed me to my limits. I've always been able to manage, limp through, pull my head above water, go through the motions. But this time I was going down that long dark tunnel with no light. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, so they say, but this has been killing me, snuffing out my life force, too hard. Time to get help. Time to demand my pdoc pay better attention to my plight, both mental and physical. I'm not sure if I want to pile on another med since they don't seem to be helping, so it's unclear what he can do. I'll let him put on his thinking cap cause I don't have any more steam to fight for my own advocacy.

How are you, Oona? I know you've been busy with other things and I truly hope they've been rewarding in a 'making us stronger' way. Proud of you for showing up for work. It's soooo tempting to just pull up the covers and hide from the world, isn't it? But it doesn't help and sure doesn't pay the bills. Thanks so much for your concern, it helps alot. I care about you too. And thanks for your email address. Just might take you up on it. Barbara

> Baarbara,
> Any words I say I feel can not start to touch the pain you are going through now. I can only say my prayers and thoughts are with you and just know that with each ending there is a new beginning. It sounds so trite, but I know it is true. I am so sorry you are losing your home, I hope you can find a place of solace to go to.
> I am sorry I did not realize how much you have endured. I have been away from the board for awhile and have been just trying to keep my head above water and managing to get to work everyday.
> Please feel free to contact me if you need another ear. I am pbdough@plateautel.net.
> peace
> oona

 

Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat

Posted by proud mary on January 25, 2003, at 11:29:14

In reply to Re: Thank you proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 23, 2003, at 14:23:52

Barbara,
I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
Just trying to make you smile a bit.
Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
Let me know!
Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

In reply to Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat, posted by proud mary on January 25, 2003, at 11:29:14

Hi Mary,
What a sweety you are! Reading your post was the first thing I did this morning and it warms my heart. So glad the Lexapro is kicking in for you. It took a while, didn't it? Do you think that's been the main component for feeling better for you? Sometimes I think just getting a bit more motivation to start doing something, anything, is the key. It's the doing part, breaking through the sludge, that heals more than anything.

I believe very much in prayer, although, like you, I'm definitely not of the 'religious' persuasion. I think they have been helping for sure. I broke down and called the crisis line at my HMO and got in to see a therapist and my pdoc and doc in 2 days, which was yesterday. Unheard of! My pdoc wants to keep me on lithium even though my thyroid levels are going through the roof, which I'm sure is contributing to things. But another miracle! my primary care doc, pdoc, and an endocrinologist are going to have a consult about me. This is truly unheard of. My desperation must have made an impression on the triage lady. Pdoc also wants me on nortryptiline, one of the older tricyclic ADs. I don't do well on SSRIs, SNRIs etc., probably because of the bipolar component, so we'll try the older ones for now and continue with lamictal and lithium as well as regular Valium. I honestly never thought I'd come to be so grateful for 'Mother's little helpers' (even though I'm not a Mother unless my 8 furry kids count).

I'm still feeling pretty awful, especially in the mornings, shakey, scared and bleak. Things seem to pick up and become almost normal as the day wears on. I need to somehow start moving my body again since that helps more than anything. But anyone who's been in the grip of such a black place knows how impossible it can be to even get to the bathroom, much less manage a few sit-ups. But I'll just force myself knowing it will do me good. So, things will get better, especially as my thyroid normalizes and Spring arrives.

Your idea about full spectrum light bulbs is fabulous. Yes, utility bills have taken a back seat and I'm going to start flooding the rooms with light. Oregon is beautiful, even in the rain, it's just so difficult to take that first step outside. Keep those prayers coming, Mary. You're in mine as well. (I think if we keep the 'meds' subject going here, we won't get booted over to the 'religion' thread.) - Barbara,


> I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
> Just trying to make you smile a bit.
> Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
> I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
> I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
> Let me know!
> Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat

Posted by ShelliR on January 25, 2003, at 14:08:54

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

Hi Barbaracat,

Just skimming and saw your name. Sorry you're going through another rough patch; I'm glad it looks like someone in the med field has finally taken an interest.

Nothing much to say, it just always makes me feel warm to see your name.

(((Shelli)))

 

Thanks! You folks are great! (nm) ShelliR

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 19:09:41

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? BarbaraCat, posted by ShelliR on January 25, 2003, at 14:08:54

 

Re: Barbara, how are you?

Posted by polarbear206 on January 26, 2003, at 9:44:58

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? proud mary, posted by BarbaraCat on January 25, 2003, at 13:58:40

> Hi Mary,
> What a sweety you are! Reading your post was the first thing I did this morning and it warms my heart. So glad the Lexapro is kicking in for you. It took a while, didn't it? Do you think that's been the main component for feeling better for you? Sometimes I think just getting a bit more motivation to start doing something, anything, is the key. It's the doing part, breaking through the sludge, that heals more than anything.
>
> I believe very much in prayer, although, like you, I'm definitely not of the 'religious' persuasion. I think they have been helping for sure. I broke down and called the crisis line at my HMO and got in to see a therapist and my pdoc and doc in 2 days, which was yesterday. Unheard of! My pdoc wants to keep me on lithium even though my thyroid levels are going through the roof, which I'm sure is contributing to things. But another miracle! my primary care doc, pdoc, and an endocrinologist are going to have a consult about me. This is truly unheard of. My desperation must have made an impression on the triage lady. Pdoc also wants me on nortryptiline, one of the older tricyclic ADs. I don't do well on SSRIs, SNRIs etc., probably because of the bipolar component, so we'll try the older ones for now and continue with lamictal and lithium as well as regular Valium. I honestly never thought I'd come to be so grateful for 'Mother's little helpers' (even though I'm not a Mother unless my 8 furry kids count).
>
> I'm still feeling pretty awful, especially in the mornings, shakey, scared and bleak. Things seem to pick up and become almost normal as the day wears on. I need to somehow start moving my body again since that helps more than anything. But anyone who's been in the grip of such a black place knows how impossible it can be to even get to the bathroom, much less manage a few sit-ups. But I'll just force myself knowing it will do me good. So, things will get better, especially as my thyroid normalizes and Spring arrives.
>
> Your idea about full spectrum light bulbs is fabulous. Yes, utility bills have taken a back seat and I'm going to start flooding the rooms with light. Oregon is beautiful, even in the rain, it's just so difficult to take that first step outside. Keep those prayers coming, Mary. You're in mine as well. (I think if we keep the 'meds' subject going here, we won't get booted over to the 'religion' thread.) - Barbara,
>
>
> > I've been praying for two days now; seen any difference?
> > Just trying to make you smile a bit.
> > Oregon is not the best place for a mood lifter, I know. Me, I'm from sunny, hot Texas. I couldn't never live in seattle or portland (have relatives in both places) I think I'd be suicidal in about one year. Have you replaced any of your reg. light bulbs with those ultraviolet ones that are supposed to feed your body with the light it craves? My dad suffered from SAD before any one even knew what it was or thought it was a real condition. Turn on every light in the house; the utility company be damned!
> > I can only hope things are a bit better for you now. I know it's only been a few days, but maybe therapy has helped. My lexapro seems to be kicking in and I'm feeling more ambitious, but I well remember that feeling of nothingness and despair that is te norm for some of us (without help).
> > I'm pretty much writing to just let you know I"m thinking about you and still praying for you and I expect dr. bob to intervene at any moment to tell us to take it somewere else, but I figure I should be able to get by with this sort of posting at least once in a while. What new meds did they start you on, if any?
> > Let me know!
> > Mary
>
>


Hi B Cat!

Sorry to hear your thyroid is out of wack. I think your doc's getting together to brainstorm your condition is a great thing!! Hang in there. Tricyclics should get you activated and make your morning's more pleasant. By the way, I live in Pa. About an hour and a half from Phila. I was in a state of depression after the Eagles blew it. Went to one of the games this season. We are big Flyers fans too!!

Talk to ya later.

Laura.

 

Re: Barbara, how are you? polarbear206

Posted by BarbaraCat on January 26, 2003, at 13:38:11

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you?, posted by polarbear206 on January 26, 2003, at 9:44:58

Hi Laura,
Well, how about that, you're living in PA. I grew up about 5 miles from the Ft. Washington turnpike exit. I was just back there for my Mom's funeral and such this past December and will be back again in April to finalize the emptying of our home and her internment in upstate PA near Hazelton. Phillie has turned out to be such a cool city. It sure wasn't always that way, I remember when Frank Rizzo was Mayor - shudder. But I'm now proud to say that I'm from Phillie, it's truly unique and there's no place on Earth like it. Part of the sorrow of the loss of my Mom is that I'm also losing that whole part of the world. Even if I visit, I can never again go back home and I miss it. You just can't get a decent hoagie out here.

Yes, my thyroid situation is a big problem. It's long standing and was under control until starting lithium. Everything is a push now, just want to lie down, and that's not good. Especially when we all know how crucial it is to move the energy when one has mood disorders.

I'm not clear yet on how tricyclics differ from SSRIs or SSNIs. They all seem to work on the reuptake of serotonin or norepinephrine. I was on desipramine and tofranil eons ago and couldn't get past the side effects, but I'm willing to try again and just hang in there. Have you ever been on tricyclics?

My husband is a big Eagles and Flyers fan as well. Today he's going to revel in watching the Superbowl and I'm going to muddle about trying to tidy up a bit. Haven't even been able to unpack my suitcase from the funeral trip and it's going on 6 weeks. The guest room looks like a tornado hit it. I'm actually looking forward to uncovering all kinds of buried treasure under the piles of stuff.

> Hi B Cat!
>
> Sorry to hear your thyroid is out of wack. I think your doc's getting together to brainstorm your condition is a great thing!! Hang in there. Tricyclics should get you activated and make your morning's more pleasant. By the way, I live in Pa. About an hour and a half from Phila. I was in a state of depression after the Eagles blew it. Went to one of the games this season. We are big Flyers fans too!!
>
> Talk to ya later.
>
> Laura.

 

Re: Barbara, how are you?

Posted by proud mary on January 27, 2003, at 8:05:13

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you? polarbear206, posted by BarbaraCat on January 26, 2003, at 13:38:11

Barbara,
It feeds on itself...good feelings that is...I feel good because my post helped you. So, you have really helped me!
I have had a cold this past weekend and been zonked out on otc meds, my lexapro, and some clonazapam. My first real test on Lexapro came this weekend, too. My husband has been out of town for work all last week. My car wouldn't start Friday, the day I promised my newly turned 13-year-old we'd spend the day together to celebrate her birthday (without the other two distractions). So, we decided to use the public transport system! It was very "oregonish" here that day...about 40 and moist. We ended up doing quite a bit of walking due to my ineptness at working the bus system so I got a ton of exercise...I've been so sore these last few days I could barely move...

then my husband got back and was in a rage about who-knows-what friday night. I was very angry at him...slept alot...but! Handled it. I think I'm finally getting to that place where I can deal with this stuff. A month ago I would have been screaming, crying, laying in bed thinking about how it wasn't worth the trouble...marriage, life, motherhood...but not this time. I mean, I can't expect all emotions to just go away, can I? So I think I dealt with it pretty well.

I hope the docs putting all their heads together will produce some results. "Mother's little helpers" is such an apt name for meds...at least in MY case. My kids would grow up being so screwed up if I continued to go the way of the non-medicated...they'd hate me by the time they are 18. Sometimes I think about what would be if I had never had children (life easier?) but I"m not the type to go back and rewrite my history in my head and they really are wonderful, caring kids.

I hope things continue to get better for you...I"m still praying and another thing you have helped me with, unaware, is that you do have me praying again! I"ve rather lost my way with the connection and it feels good to reestablish it.

Furry guys...I love animals. Two years ago we were pet-less...too much to handle in my life without more responsibility..but now, somehow they've all crept into our lives...a puppy who got booted out of a car one day on our block (I have a weakness for abandoned things), A parakeet that someone gave me that has mostly adopted my husband (a blessing to him, too, he's never really had a relationship with animals as an adult, but he ADORES this bird), a big aquarium that my oldest daughter and I found with about two inches of water in it and a huge plecto...left to die at a garbage pick-up site...which led to this long journey of learning about keeping fresh-water fish and having TWO aquariums...one thing leads to another...anyway, that's another mini crisis in my life...I"ve been losing fish this week. I hate losing fish, even if they are three for $1.50 and just...fish.
Anyway, I will continue to keep you posted on my lexapro progress and please hang in there, keep the lights blazing and let me know how you are doing...hopefully those pdoc/docs will be able to balance you out.

If you want to e-mail me directly, please don't hesitate. My e-mail address is mmheid511@aol.com

I'll 'meditate' for you right now!
Love and peace and good feelings....Mary

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by lostsailor on January 28, 2003, at 9:37:46

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are you?, posted by proud mary on January 27, 2003, at 8:05:13

I just read your post and to be honest, did not trail all the way to the beg. due, in part, to the surrary you gave at the beging of yours.

What comes around...you summed it up in a great way.

I am doing "ok" on lexapro my-self. Is "oregonish" a real word. I don't feel I've ever heard the weather person use it...lol

peace,

~Tony

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by proud mary on January 29, 2003, at 9:44:17

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary, posted by lostsailor on January 28, 2003, at 9:37:46

Tony,
How long have you been on lexapro? I've noticed that it's beginning to work so well for me, I'm almost euphoric...so much so that I can make up wonderful new weather words like "oregonish"!
Seriously, though, is it really helping you quite a bit?
Let me know...Mary :>)

 

Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary

Posted by lostsailor on January 29, 2003, at 17:29:57

In reply to Re: Barbara, how are youand you proudmary, posted by proud mary on January 29, 2003, at 9:44:17

Hi ...

Well good and bad news...lol. It is working well for me but is mostly used to treat panic attacks, as I have bi-polar disorder order and my mood is almost "regulated" with lamictal. It seems a good med and I have been on all of the "new antis A relative of celexa, which made me slightly hypo-manic, lexapro does not so far, 3 months+/-, seem to have the side effect profile. I dont now if I am the best judge of it related to panic as I am also on a high-octane bezo. Diet for doc...So it goes

Really, though, I like chatting with doc about meds and he seems to enjoy explaining different mechanism of effect and describe lexapro as a "cleaner" form of celexa. He also seems to enjoy writing in my chart as we have these "talks", though. LOl...If its working, go with it. Tell more about all things oragonish...


stay tuned, ~Tony

 

zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by Osama on April 20, 2003, at 10:56:19

In reply to Re: withdrawal symptoms coming off zoloft, posted by JanB on September 18, 2000, at 13:57:23


Im a 34 year old male, and have been taking Zoloft on and of for almost 18 months, and have decided to stop four or five months ago, when I stopped I started feeling dizziness, or vertigo as a doctor referred to it, or to best describe it they were dizzy spells that lasted for a couple of seconds whenever I moved, so I started taking Zoloft again hoping they would stop, at first I started taking 100 mgs, and I repeated the dose when the spells returned, but at some point the 100 mgs were of no use, so I had to double the dose to 200 mgs, but after 3 or 4 days Id feel dizzy again, and I started experiencing other symptoms such as irritability, disorientation, aggressiveness, sleepiness, and became extremely emotional, easily provoked, and felt a general feeling of discomfort and fatigue, all these symptoms were affecting my work and productivity. The only times that I could properly work was when I take my Zoloft dose, which climbed up to 750 mgs/week.
Now I know Im over-dosing and should stop, or at least slowly decrease the dose, Im cutting back by 50 mgs/week. I dont know if Im doing the right thing, but from what Ive been reading about the drugs withdrawal symptoms, they should subside if I slowly cut back. My doctor, doesnt seem to know anything about the drugs withdrawal symptoms, or if it has any at all. Please advise on what to do.

ana

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Osama

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 12:31:37

In reply to zoloft withdrawal symptoms, posted by Osama on April 20, 2003, at 10:56:19

Dear Ana,
Your doctor isn't aware of Zoloft withdrawals? I would respectfully suggest you find another doctor. Most certainly there are very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms with any SSRI. Zoloft's are not as bad as others, say, Paxil or Effexor, but still uncomfortable. What you descibe is classic - the 'swooshies', or the dizziness when turning your head; the 'zaps', or electrical charges that zap you every now and then; bursts of rage and intense irritability (did you know that many of the school shootings were done by kids who abruptly stopped taking SSRIs?)

It takes about 2 months to subside and then about 4-6 to clear out completely. 750mg is very high, as you are well aware. If zoloft is not doing it for you, you may need something else or perhaps an augmentor. I and many of us on this board believe very strongly that a mood stabilizer is suggested when taking an antidepressant. Taking a mood stabilizer now when you're going through these symptoms would help, as would a benzo to get you through the irritability/anxiety that tapering down always brings. You need extra calcium and magnesium and zinc (these help with electrical/chemical nerve impulses and muscle contraction), as well as high doses of Vitamin C, and B complex for general nerve health. Fish oil also helps stabilize cell membranes.

Another suggestion is to ask your doctor to switch you to temporary low dose Prozac to smooth things out. Prozac has a very long half life as opposed to Zoloft's very short one and it makes the tapering alot easier. Remember, you're essentially trying to function on depleted neurotransmitters, fine if you're in a cave, but hell if you're in the world.

Ask your doc about adding a mood stabilizer. You seem to be a very good candidate and Lord knows it's helped me and others here. If your doc doesn't know about mood stabilizers - run!!! No one needs a clueless doc where our delicate wiring is concerned. Good luck, been there and done that. - BarbaraCat

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 20, 2003, at 17:04:38

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Osama, posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 12:31:37

> Dear Ana,
> Your doctor isn't aware of Zoloft withdrawals? I would respectfully suggest you find another doctor. Most certainly there are very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms with any SSRI. Zoloft's are not as bad as others, say, Paxil or Effexor, but still uncomfortable. What you descibe is classic - the 'swooshies', or the dizziness when turning your head; the 'zaps', or electrical charges that zap you every now and then; bursts of rage and intense irritability (did you know that many of the school shootings were done by kids who abruptly stopped taking SSRIs?)
>
> It takes about 2 months to subside and then about 4-6 to clear out completely. 750mg is very high, as you are well aware. If zoloft is not doing it for you, you may need something else or perhaps an augmentor. I and many of us on this board believe very strongly that a mood stabilizer is suggested when taking an antidepressant. Taking a mood stabilizer now when you're going through these symptoms would help, as would a benzo to get you through the irritability/anxiety that tapering down always brings. You need extra calcium and magnesium and zinc (these help with electrical/chemical nerve impulses and muscle contraction), as well as high doses of Vitamin C, and B complex for general nerve health. Fish oil also helps stabilize cell membranes.
>
> Another suggestion is to ask your doctor to switch you to temporary low dose Prozac to smooth things out. Prozac has a very long half life as opposed to Zoloft's very short one and it makes the tapering alot easier. Remember, you're essentially trying to function on depleted neurotransmitters, fine if you're in a cave, but hell if you're in the world.
>
> Ask your doc about adding a mood stabilizer. You seem to be a very good candidate and Lord knows it's helped me and others here. If your doc doesn't know about mood stabilizers - run!!! No one needs a clueless doc where our delicate wiring is concerned. Good luck, been there and done that. - BarbaraCat

Hi BarbaraCat,
I just posted the below (below this message) trying to figure out what was going on with me. and then I found this thread. It's refreshing to hear that I'm going through a "normal" zoloft withdrawal. That sideway elevator feeling while simulatneously licking a battery pretty much describes how I feel. You mention trying mood stabilizers to help ease the withdrawal? I have some Neurontin (gab..something or other). Do you or anyone else have experience with this as an augment to help ease the torture of withdrawal?

and does it really last two months??????????????!!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to actually have had the AD work for you and then go through this. But quite another to keep having to try meds that don't work (which is torture in of itself) but then to have to continually go off the ones that don't work and have to deal with this each time is pure hell. no one understands except those who have been through it, it seems.
i'd appreciate feedback re: neurontin
thanks.
katia

"ANYONE?? who is getting off Zoloft or who has done it? I'm having a nightmare of a time. (I've only been on it for three months). I am not sure if what I'm experiencing was the two weeks I started on wellbutrin, which I stopped. I tapered off of the Zoloft and stopped both the same day. The reason i stopped the WB was b/c I was experiencing those electrical jolts that I had when on Effexor. Now, I don't know if it's the Zoloft w/drawal or the beginning side effects of WB. Every time my heart speeds up a beat (like when I MOVE) electrical jolts go through my fingers. My fingers almost always feel like they were asleep and just waking up. I feel like I"m going to have a heart attack all the time. It's so hard to explain to people, that I've given up. this is subtle torture that I am suffering in silence. How do you explain this wierd shit?:!!!
Frankly, I'm too afraid to go on anything else. I don't have a regular pdoc b/c of the overworked clinic i go to....long story. bottom line I don't have a good doc. I suggest, me the depressed patient, suggest what to go on next and he just agrees. He gave me a starter pack for Serzone, but I'm starting to give up hope about ADs. esp. when this is the second time I've had to go through this electrical torture. I don't know what to do from here. I feel really alone in this and unsupported and my strength for hope and life is dwindling away. I'm not going to start Serzone or anything else right now. I feel too afraid.
I'd like to know how your withdrawal has been from Zoloft. or anyone else for that matter? so hopefully I can know that this won't last forever.
thanks.
katia


 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 17:43:05

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat, posted by Katia on April 20, 2003, at 17:04:38

Hi Katia,
Neurontin should help if it works for you. Some people don't get any response and for some it works great. I gave my stash to my husband and he's getting good results for general anxiety relief. I was on it for a while hoping to ease fibromyalgia pain. It didn't work for that but it did smooth things out in general. I'm Bipolar II, didn't know it, and was desperately in need of any mood stabilizer at that point and it helped.

At first it gave me a lovely fuzzy warm calmness but that response didn't last long and before too long I didn't see the need to take yet another med. But it is an anticonvulsant and helps to stabilize the jaggy electric shock sideways swoopies thing. You're so right. Those who have not experienced this very odd sensation have no idea what we're talking about. Neurontin seems to work best at high doses so you'll have to titrate from 900mg/day up to about 2700mg/day and then back down when you're zoloft symptoms are under control. By the time it starts pooping out as it may for you, you'll be past the worst of the zoloft withdrawal.

Definitely increase magnesium/calcium/zinc, B complex and Vit C, along with a good multivitamin and tons of water. Also try milk thisle herb for getting your liver healthy again. Make sure you're digestion/elimination is working well (probably the most important and overlooked element in any health issue) and if not visit a health food store and ask for advice. Serotonin isn't just in the brain but is a big player in the digestive system. Cutting it off tends to throw the whole body out of whack. Keeping your body extra healthy is crucial because it's under great stress at this time and your immune system can get compromised. Isn't depression fun?

Something to consider is augmenting any antidepressant with some kind of mood stabilizer as a general practice. Maybe neurontin will do the trick for you with whatever else you try. It's such a crap shoot, isn't it, to get the right med combo. Good luck. - BarbaraCat

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 21, 2003, at 18:03:52

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 20, 2003, at 17:43:05

Thanks Barbara,
Why is it that it's always a good thing to add mood stabilisers to ADs? I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar; only unipolar (it's enough). I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind that.
thanks for the nutri.advice. I have been taking milk thistle daily to help with the liver. I know it's important to look after myself, esp. now, but when I get off balance like this, I just spiral further by making bad decisions. (like drinking too much). anyway, another story altogether.
thanks again.
Katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia

Posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat, posted by Katia on April 21, 2003, at 18:03:52

Here's what I think the story is with mood stabilizers based on what I've read on this board and my own research and personal experience. Adding the right one helps with the tendency of ADs to poop out, acting as a synergistic augmentor. If you find the right combination you need less of each and the sum is greater than the parts. They work more with the electrical potential rather than the chemical (although some, like lithium, also increase serotonin) so you're hitting more of the entire neuron rather than just the axons/receptors. Depression and bipolar appear to cause neuronal damage and some stabilizers, i.e., lithium, appear to protect against this and benefit the brain by increasing it's cellular plasticity and by creating increased dendritic growth. There seems to be definite anti-aging effects and many life enhancement proponents take lithium for this reason alone. Of course, lithium has it's own bag of problems and it's not the only stabilizer out there, just the one with the most research for this brain protection effect.

I can relate to the drinking thing. A nice glass or three or four of chardonnay is guaranteed to make me feel immediately better but totally crappy the next day or two. Everytime I succumb to it I think it's totally worth it in the moment and everytime I wake up the next morning I know it's not worth it.

> Thanks Barbara,
> Why is it that it's always a good thing to add mood stabilisers to ADs? I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar; only unipolar (it's enough). I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind that.
> thanks for the nutri.advice. I have been taking milk thistle daily to help with the liver. I know it's important to look after myself, esp. now, but when I get off balance like this, I just spiral further by making bad decisions. (like drinking too much). anyway, another story altogether.
> thanks again.
> Katia

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms

Posted by McPac on April 22, 2003, at 23:05:42

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

I just wonder how many people get the "anger" side effect from these SSRI's. I KNOW that Zoloft causes anger, agitation and irritability in me. I honestly believe that the biggest reason that I need lithium (I only take 1 lithium a day) is to keep Zoloft's side effects at bay! I want nothing more than to one day be OFF of these chemical trash drugs (Zoloft). It sure seems to me that the psych AD's of yesteryear (15-20 yrs. ago, which I took) had side effects like dry mouth, slight dizziness, etc. whereas todays (ssri's) have dramatically WORSE and far more dangerous side effects and yet mass marketing has brainwashed folks to believe otherwise. I just wonder how many people even on this board need a mood stabilizer BECAUSE OF their Zoloft, Prozac, etc.

 

Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Barbara Cat

Posted by Katia on April 23, 2003, at 13:37:33

In reply to Re: zoloft withdrawal symptoms Katia, posted by Barbara Cat on April 22, 2003, at 2:32:40

Wow, quite a wealth of info there. I've printed it out and will mention it to my next pdoc, whoever that will be.

Where are you? In Cal.?
just curious.
thanks so much for that.
Katia


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.