Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 65656

Shown: posts 1 to 20 of 20. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by Bob on June 7, 2001, at 12:17:01

I've been on Remeron for about a month and a half now, and it doesn't seem to be doing all that much. I'm just wondering if very many other people use this drug long term. I don't see very many posts about it on here at all. Has it been a less successful drug than the other classes in general? Why aren't people talking about it much?

Bob

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by MSM on June 7, 2001, at 12:50:28

In reply to anyone taking Remeron?, posted by Bob on June 7, 2001, at 12:17:01

Bob,

I have been taking Remeron for 16 weeks now. I started to feel a slight improvement around week 4 when I went from 15 mg a day to 30 mg a day. At week 8 I went to 45 mg a day and have been feeling better each week since. I am dissapointed with the weight gain (30 pounds) however I have just joined a health club and have begun to work out 3 or 4 days a week. Three months ago I didn't want to get out of bed 3 or 4 days a week. I am planning on staying on Remeron for at least another 4 months and then tapering off.
Remeron, for me, has relieved a lot of anxiety (I was unable to sleep for more than a couple of hours a night) and depression. I am also going to psycho therapy which I believe is helping. Good luck.

Mark

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by Bob on June 7, 2001, at 12:55:40

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by MSM on June 7, 2001, at 12:50:28

> Bob,
>
> I have been taking Remeron for 16 weeks now. I started to feel a slight improvement around week 4 when I went from 15 mg a day to 30 mg a day. At week 8 I went to 45 mg a day and have been feeling better each week since. I am dissapointed with the weight gain (30 pounds) however I have just joined a health club and have begun to work out 3 or 4 days a week. Three months ago I didn't want to get out of bed 3 or 4 days a week. I am planning on staying on Remeron for at least another 4 months and then tapering off.
> Remeron, for me, has relieved a lot of anxiety (I was unable to sleep for more than a couple of hours a night) and depression. I am also going to psycho therapy which I believe is helping. Good luck.
>
> Mark


Mark:

Thanks for the info. Why are you going to taper off if it has helped you? What will you do when you taper off?

Bob

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by cole on June 7, 2001, at 17:21:09

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by MSM on June 7, 2001, at 12:50:28

I've been on remeron for about a year now, and it's the most effective med I've ever tried-- the only one that's worked for me. I do have to take 60mg/night or more to maintain a good AD response, however. I think it's a great drug, but the appetite/ weight gain stuff does get a bit annoying. See if a dose increase causes a better repsonse, but if not I'd say it might not be the one for you. good luck.
cole

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by lifelongevity on June 7, 2001, at 21:57:51

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by MSM on June 7, 2001, at 12:50:28

remeron is the greatest stuff I've ever found! I felt it's affects the first morning I awoke. I've only been on it a month and I take it in combination with other medications: effexor (300mg), Wellbutrin (450mg) and Remeron (30mg)

The side effects were stronger for me than with any other drug. Usually I don't feel much side affects from anti-depressants. Some dry mouth that's about all. But with Remeron felt the sedative affect. Within a half hour of taking it I'm out. On the other hand I can wake up much easier and more alert than ever before.

I got an insulin surge about 12 hours after I took it for the first few weeks, but it's starting to taper off. I had to eat not from hunger but to keep from getting low blood sugar.

But I estimate I have gained about 2 extra hours a day that I was otherwise sleeping. I can't diet, reduce my calories, because I'll get low blood sugar shakes. But I feel more a alert and better motivated so I can exercise now.

The other side affect is the dizziness and pounding in my ears I get if I get up too fast or rush around too fast. I feel so good I want to get things done! But if I slow it down, get up gently I don't have the dizziness.

All and all it's been great for me.

 

Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by SalArmy4me on June 8, 2001, at 3:06:56

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by lifelongevity on June 7, 2001, at 21:57:51

Regardless of whether one will gain weight on Remeron or not, I strongly recommend that people give Remeron a try, because it is perhaps the best medication that has come out in the last 5 years. And I will explain why:

Here are the benefits of Remeron:

--It can be used for all types of depression, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia.
--It is convienient because it is taken only once at bedtime.
--It may improve libido and sexual performance (its the only medication that improves mine). Dr. Bob Hsieung's fellow doctors recommend it for sexual dysfunction.
--You can take Remeron with most antidepressants except MAOIs.
--It has none of the anticholinergic effects of SSRIs.
--It has gained recognition as a very useful medication from psychiatrists in only four years of FDA approval.

I myself started Remeron at 60 mg right away and had no side-effects. I had no weight gain or sedation during the day.

http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/split/Mirtazapine-for-SSRI-ADRs.html
www.remeron.com
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/mirtaz.htm

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by petter on June 8, 2001, at 11:52:02

In reply to Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by SalArmy4me on June 8, 2001, at 3:06:56

> Regardless of whether one will gain weight on Remeron or not, I strongly recommend that people give Remeron a try, because it is perhaps the best medication that has come out in the last 5 years. And I will explain why:
>
> Here are the benefits of Remeron:
>
> --It can be used for all types of depression, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia.
> --It is convienient because it is taken only once at bedtime.
> --It may improve libido and sexual performance (its the only medication that improves mine). Dr. Bob Hsieung's fellow doctors recommend it for sexual dysfunction.
> --You can take Remeron with most antidepressants except MAOIs.
> --It has none of the anticholinergic effects of SSRIs.
> --It has gained recognition as a very useful medication from psychiatrists in only four years of FDA approval.
>
> I myself started Remeron at 60 mg right away and had no side-effects. I had no weight gain or sedation during the day.
>
> http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/split/Mirtazapine-for-SSRI-ADRs.html
> www.remeron.com
> http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/mirtaz.htm

Hi!

With all respect. Remeron will not improve OCD. We have used the drug here in Sweden for severel years. Of all clinical I spoke with, most of them are disipointed about its antidepressant effect. Its a great drug as an add on. For exampel efexor+Remeron. Or ssri+Remeron.
Its also great for sleep.

Best wishes//Petter

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by phillybob on June 8, 2001, at 12:30:50

In reply to anyone taking Remeron?, posted by Bob on June 7, 2001, at 12:17:01

Bob, we are mimicing each other in more than just name. (re: topamax experiences)

I too am taking Remeron (45 mg/nite) which potentiates hunger, but am also now using Adderall (10mg/2-3X/day) which helps on the hunger front as well as the energy and concentration front.

I really thought I was a soft bi-polar for quite some time, but after learning about adult attention-deficit disorder, I am not so sure. (about.com has some good info). It may just be a symptom of ADD.

So far, so good on this combination. Started out at 30 mg/nite of Remeron about 4 weeks ago and moved up to 45 mg/nite about a week ago. Adderall has been one of those very difficult drugs to dose properly.

I actually abandoned trials of Ritalin and Adderall so much in the past because I found they made me more depressed. Might have been just exagerating my depression and needed to get that under control with the increase in Remeron. Who knows. I do know that ADD-type problems cause much of my depression (depressed because I am not as I feel I should be).

I believe you are only taking 15 mg/nite, Bob (as well as various other meds)? You really might want to up it to 30 mg/nite and see how that goes. I believe up to 60 mg/nite is often used, though 30 and 45 seem more prevalent. Also, some of your other meds might be conflicting with or clouding your symptoms.

I'm stickin' with the Adderall. If that fails after a while, I would recommend to myself to try other stimulants (Ritalin, Dexadrine, etc.), Wellbutrin and then Effexor in that order. More benign, fast-acting to less so. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by SalArmy4me on June 8, 2001, at 13:12:43

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by petter on June 8, 2001, at 11:52:02

Remeron has an effect on serotonin, so it can be used for OCD.

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron? (Bob)

Posted by MSM on June 8, 2001, at 15:46:37

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by Bob on June 7, 2001, at 12:55:40


>
> Mark:
>
> Thanks for the info. Why are you going to taper off if it has helped you? What will you do when you taper off?
>
> Bob

Bob,

I believe my depression is/was situational (A major unexpected career change combined with the discontinuation of daily pot and alcohol use after 30+ years). I hope to taper off of Remeron by the end of the year. I plan to continue an exercise program and perhaps use St. Johns Wort.

Mark

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron?

Posted by Bob on June 8, 2001, at 22:37:16

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron?, posted by phillybob on June 8, 2001, at 12:30:50

> Bob, we are mimicing each other in more than just name. (re: topamax experiences)
>
> I too am taking Remeron (45 mg/nite) which potentiates hunger, but am also now using Adderall (10mg/2-3X/day) which helps on the hunger front as well as the energy and concentration front.
>
> I really thought I was a soft bi-polar for quite some time, but after learning about adult attention-deficit disorder, I am not so sure. (about.com has some good info). It may just be a symptom of ADD.
>
> So far, so good on this combination. Started out at 30 mg/nite of Remeron about 4 weeks ago and moved up to 45 mg/nite about a week ago. Adderall has been one of those very difficult drugs to dose properly.
>
> I actually abandoned trials of Ritalin and Adderall so much in the past because I found they made me more depressed. Might have been just exagerating my depression and needed to get that under control with the increase in Remeron. Who knows. I do know that ADD-type problems cause much of my depression (depressed because I am not as I feel I should be).
>
> I believe you are only taking 15 mg/nite, Bob (as well as various other meds)? You really might want to up it to 30 mg/nite and see how that goes. I believe up to 60 mg/nite is often used, though 30 and 45 seem more prevalent. Also, some of your other meds might be conflicting with or clouding your symptoms.
>
> I'm stickin' with the Adderall. If that fails after a while, I would recommend to myself to try other stimulants (Ritalin, Dexadrine, etc.), Wellbutrin and then Effexor in that order. More benign, fast-acting to less so. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

************

Just as a quick follow-up to your topomax reference, I'd like to add that my weaning off of that medecine was without a doubt the most mentally destabilizing episodes in my life. I haven't seen mention of others having the same experience coming off of it, so I guess it's probably unique to me.

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron? (Bob)

Posted by tropigal1 on October 20, 2001, at 14:47:17

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron? (Bob), posted by MSM on June 8, 2001, at 15:46:37

Does Remeron cause muscle aches (especially back) as a side effect? I have been on it for about 8 weeks - was doing great, but feel depression creeping in again. I am on 15 mgs. a day - should i ask my psych to up it to 30? Also, my Urologist has said something about putting me on Elavil for urinary issues - can the two be taken together? Are there withdrawl symptoms from Remeron once (if) I do eventually go off it? Thanks!

 

Re: anyone taking Remeron? (Bob) Ľ tropigal1

Posted by kregpark@yahoo.com on October 20, 2001, at 15:01:00

In reply to Re: anyone taking Remeron? (Bob), posted by tropigal1 on October 20, 2001, at 14:47:17

My experience with Remeron was (added to 4.5 klonopin)
1) First few days I was in heaven, the perfect combo. Like a type "A" (paradoxic based on the profiles of those 2 meds).
2) Frist few weeks excellent, type A, excellent cognition.
3) 3-5 weeks, increasingly depressed.
4) Stopped

On retrial couple years later (with only 4.5 Klonopin)
Same experience, only depression started much sooner, after
great effect a couple days.

BTW, that was 15 Remeron + 4.5 Klonopin

Later upped to higher Remeron but was more depressed (and became fatigued).
All of that contradicts 'normal expections'
In fact I also became irratible and frankly an ****ole to some people.
Unihibited and unthinking about consequences.

Adding 50 Zoloft helped a lot, there.
Experimened and found that 7.5 Remeron added to 50 Zoloft
TOTALLY elimated sexual side effects of either drug taken alone,
unfortunately, high SP symtoms!!! Kind of undid everything.

I would characterize Remeron as being very uncommonly used.
Some are sedated, some irratable, some depressed.

Is not really a "serotonergic" in long term use.
It become in my opinion primarily a "noradrenergic" medication.

In my case I'm treating SP of a severe (untreated) type.

My 2 cents,

kregpark@yahoo.com

http://www.socialfear.com/

> Does Remeron cause muscle aches (especially back) as a side effect? I have been on it for about 8 weeks - was doing great, but feel depression creeping in again. I am on 15 mgs. a day - should i ask my psych to up it to 30? Also, my Urologist has said something about putting me on Elavil for urinary issues - can the two be taken together? Are there withdrawl symptoms from Remeron once (if) I do eventually go off it? Thanks!

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell Ľ SalArmy4me

Posted by kregpark@yahoo.com on October 20, 2001, at 15:12:20

In reply to Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by SalArmy4me on June 8, 2001, at 3:06:56

I agree Remeron can be useful, but primarly for major depression.
However for anxiety, SP, panic, etc, I think opposing type meds (serotonergic/axiolytic) would usually be necessary, I believe that in long term use Remeron primarily is a powerful norepinephrine booster.

I think it's very novel but in actual practice it is still rarely used, and I really don't think it ever will be.
I believe that doctors interest is mainly in it's novel mechanisms.
Medline shows little continued research on mirtazapine (remeron) however, in my opinion because remeron has sort of been "given up on" for most people.
I *DO" definitely agree it CAN FREQUENTLY BE VERY USEFUL TO AUGMENT PRN FOR SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS, AS IT IS POTENT SEROTONIN ANTAGONIST. UNFOTUNATELY IN PRN USE THERE IS ALSO MORE (INITIALLY) SEROTONIN BOOST SO I THINK VERY LOW DOSE (7.5MG) IS BEST BET FOR PRN USE.

I think I was a bit overly generalizing there.
I do think some will definitely like Remeron, I just don't think it is practicle med for most people taking psychotropics...

kregpark

> Regardless of whether one will gain weight on Remeron or not, I strongly recommend that people give Remeron a try, because it is perhaps the best medication that has come out in the last 5 years. And I will explain why:
>
> Here are the benefits of Remeron:
>
> --It can be used for all types of depression, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia.
> --It is convienient because it is taken only once at bedtime.
> --It may improve libido and sexual performance (its the only medication that improves mine). Dr. Bob Hsieung's fellow doctors recommend it for sexual dysfunction.
> --You can take Remeron with most antidepressants except MAOIs.
> --It has none of the anticholinergic effects of SSRIs.
> --It has gained recognition as a very useful medication from psychiatrists in only four years of FDA approval.
>
> I myself started Remeron at 60 mg right away and had no side-effects. I had no weight gain or sedation during the day.
>
> http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/split/Mirtazapine-for-SSRI-ADRs.html
> www.remeron.com
> http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/mirtaz.htm

 

Remeron: after seeing all the posts Ľ kregpark@yahoo.com

Posted by kregpark@yahoo.com on October 20, 2001, at 15:25:26

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell Ľ SalArmy4me, posted by kregpark@yahoo.com on October 20, 2001, at 15:12:20

I probably need to restate myself because clearly some of the people on this board *ARE* liking Remeron in contradiction to my overly generalized statements above.

I was sort of (incorrectly) assuming that posters here are more treating anxiety, panic primarily with some depression.

I may be wrong but it did look like the positive posts were from those more in the depression and low energy category.
For those people I agree Remeron is definitely worth a try; there are few NE targeting meds available, Remeron and Wellbutrin come to mind as the main ones.

However for higher energy (by nature), anxious types is probably how I should have started my previous posts off with.
Perhaps I am biased somewhat towards the anxiety disorder side.

I should probably rephrase the above comments as intended for those with panic, ocd, social anxiety, (perhaps not GAD) who have secondary depression, or comorbid depression.

kregpark@yahoo.com
http://www.socialfear.com/

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by Jill on January 25, 2002, at 18:09:33

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by petter on June 8, 2001, at 11:52:02

I must STRONGLY disagree that Remeron doesn't work for OCD. I've taken Remeron for mild-moderate OCD (fear of harming others, intrusive religious thinking...at times very painful symptoms...did not want to leave apartment or take care of children for fear of harming others) and major depression (wanted to die...) for 4 1/2 years. Since I began taking Remeron, I've been feeling great, have finished my master's degree, worked for several years, and met my fiance. This medication has changed my life! (Added bonus: There are also no sexual side effects.)

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by disney4 on January 14, 2003, at 22:33:08

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell Ľ SalArmy4me, posted by kregpark@yahoo.com on October 20, 2001, at 15:12:20

I recently had a failed trial of effexor XR and want to try Remeron. I am very afraid of the weight gain/bloating SE described in many other posts. How did you avoid the weight gain?

Thanks,
Elsie

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by lostsailor on January 16, 2003, at 11:50:55

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by disney4 on January 14, 2003, at 22:33:08

Hi just a comment.

I have tried all of the "newer" anti deprsents and found remeron, now taken years ago, to have been one of the worst. In a nutshell, it's very sedating which might be good for you like it was me, but weight gain is a prominant side effect. I wasn't on it long b/c of daytime drowsiness and the develpoment of acne (rare according to doc) within the first couple of weeks of treatment. Also , though again rare, remeron may effect your bone marrow and allow for a "potentially fatal decrease in the production of cells needed by the immune systen to fight infection" (Gorman, J, M.D., 1997) Remeron may also increase cholesteral levels.

As with any fear of weight gain, diet and exersize are the best bets to fight pounds that are associated with this medication.

~tony

ps--what happened that deemed effexor-er a failure---lack of response??? thanks and good luck!!

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by disney4 on January 16, 2003, at 14:39:52

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by lostsailor on January 16, 2003, at 11:50:55

I gave Remeron a short trial a while back myself, and did not give it long enough due to the sedation and fear of weight gain. I have read that by increasing the dose I may be able to avoid some of the weight gain and sedation associated with this drug. I wonder how one would know if they have that serious side effect of lowered immune responce. These meds all seem to have their negative traits, but it is all we have for now. I have tried all of the newer AD meds available in the US and found their side effects intolerable, from feeling like I had the flu and the sexual stuff...effexor, the sexual stuff...SSRI's including but not as pronounced with Serzone, Extreme agitation...Wellbutrin, and lastly Remeron, which I may have to fall back on if I can't keep my depression at bay with the help of my mood stabilizer and exercise. I also have to take lower doses of everything due to a medication sensitivity.

 

Re: Remeron in a Nutshell

Posted by lostsailor on January 16, 2003, at 17:40:43

In reply to Re: Remeron in a Nutshell, posted by disney4 on January 16, 2003, at 14:39:52

Hi dis.

I hope my last post did not fear you much. we all are so different. Effexor does wonders for me when depressed, but once lifted out of depression; it tends to lead to hypo mania. We, doc and I, to assault depressive episodes with effexor-xr and go to a standard ssri after. the current on Iím on is Lexapro, which is basically a tuned up celexa.

Are you honest with doc about sex and meds??? That was hard for me to do for a while but when we chatted about it, he was very professional, explained that he was glad I mentioned it---seems both doc and patient hate the topic until out in the open, but presented many options to alleviate troubles ( a antihistamine, buspar, a small dose of wellbuterin, one other I cant think of and the big V--viagra) I drew the line there b/c I am young and the last thing i want is for someone to see that med and assume that if am impotent and nuts....lol the med cyptrotine I believe it's called alleviated all orgasmic difficulties and only needs to be taken about a half hr prior to intercourse or whatever you are using to achieve orgasm.

If you havenít tried Lexapro yet, do. Sexual sides are virtually non-existent and other sides are minimal. And the med seems to work well so far.

BTW. My doc will only prescribe Remeron after he does a cbc and cholesterol test. The cbc is the deciding factor for him, though. He claims now it's a med of last resort "almost"

good luck hope I helped a tad

~Tony


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.