Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 3670

Shown: posts 30 to 54 of 130. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by slantie on June 3, 2002, at 17:32:26

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl slantie, posted by johnlund on June 2, 2002, at 21:30:51

thanks for reply, i came of efexor summer last year but had to go back on because i could feel a clinical depression creeping back. i've never had this in the past and i'm a bit worried at the moment that this will happen again.

i was on gammanal (not sure of spelling) and amitriptyline for past depressions and never had problems with withdrawl

I'm thinking of trying natural remedies maybe fish oils or st johns wort.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Xevious on June 3, 2002, at 20:11:57

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by slantie on June 3, 2002, at 17:32:26

Effexor was a dream and a nightmare for me... I went on it after exhausting all of the other SSRIs that were available at the time, and had absolutely wonderful results initially. The first sign of trouble was that my doc and I had to aggressively manage my dosage to keep it working, but the really nasty problems didn't show until I went on vacation and forgot to take the pills with me. (By the way, I've since been diagnosed with ADD, which explains why the occasional missed med was such a regular thing with me...)

Results were a foggy head, followed by tunnel vision, "neural static," as I put it, then dissociation, disorientation, and the grand finale, a grand mal seizure. Scared the hell out of the family, and that was only on the second day! My doc called in an emergency supply to the local pharmacy, and within hours - no kidding, hours - I was feeling 80% back to normal.

That and the twenty pounds I had packed on while on Effexor were enough reasons to discontinue the med, but it took me about six months to taper off of it, as my doc's initial guidelines for discontinuation caused petite mal seizures and all kinds of creepy changes to my conscious and dreaming perception. The final score was six months of bliss followed by six months of symptom regression followed by six months of utter hell. Ick.

-Steven


 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by johnlund on June 3, 2002, at 22:16:23

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by slantie on June 3, 2002, at 17:32:26

> thanks for reply, i came of efexor summer last year but had to go back on because i could feel a clinical depression creeping back. i've never had this in the past and i'm a bit worried at the moment that this will happen again.
>
> i was on gammanal (not sure of spelling) and amitriptyline for past depressions and never had problems with withdrawl
>
> I'm thinking of trying natural remedies maybe fish oils or st johns wort.

I was on Elivel (Amitriphyline) for many years off and on also. I started taking ADs in the mid 70s. Elivel finally pooped out. So did Prozac, Zoloft, etc. etc. The only thing left was Effexor. Fortunately, it worked. It has worked for 3 years now. I really don't plan to go off of it. Plus, going off and on ADs makes one resistent. It is just better to stay on them if you have a chronic type depression like I have. I figure it is like taking High Blood pressure medication. You have to live with it.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl john

Posted by BadEffects on July 7, 2002, at 13:31:21

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by john on March 28, 1999, at 20:52:30

I've been on Effexor for over 6 years. It works fabulously for me. I was been diagnosed with chronic depression with acute episodes in 1987 and have tried several antidepressants since, including Prozac. None have worked as well. But the withdrawal effects are beyond awful. I am on 300 mg. per day. A few times I've gone off as a result of forgetting to refill a prescription and now am going off because of a change in insurance. It is brutal. There has to be a better way. I get dizzy. I can't focus. Nauseated, achy, fatigued,
etc. I've read a few of the postings, including one that said that the flu like symptoms last about a week or two. I don't think I could take this for a week or two. A day is too long. It is miserable. I read one woman's message which said that she would rather endure back surgery again. I can relate. My doctor tried to talk me out of going off it although I would have to pay for it on my own. I acquiesced. But it's too expensive. He's going to have to come up with a way for me to go off it without this misery. If anyone has found a way to withdraw without the symptoms, I'd love to hear it.

I've read more of the postings and it appears that withdrawal symptoms are unavoidable. Combine that with the length of time that you have to endure them and it's a miserable prospect.

 

Try Wellbutrin

Posted by Shawn. T. on July 9, 2002, at 0:53:31

In reply to Re: James' Ideas - A Question, posted by stjames on December 25, 2001, at 2:06:16

I read that one can quit taking Paxil by beginning treatment with Wellbutrin and dropping the Paxil after the Wellbutrin has started working. I really wanted off the Paxil, so I dropped it a week after I started taking Wellbutrin. I had zero side effects, and I didn't even taper off of 20mg/day.

 

Re: Try Wellbutrin Shawn. T.

Posted by suji on July 10, 2002, at 14:42:39

In reply to Try Wellbutrin, posted by Shawn. T. on July 9, 2002, at 0:53:31

Really interested in your experience going off Paxil and on to Wellbutrin.... I'm trying to get off Paxil basically because it just didn't seem to be very effective... But coming off it has been horrendous...even though I'm tapering it down...(I'm down to 5mg/day)I've had GI problems, my brain feels as though it's floating loose in my skull, nauseau, and major, major irritability!

Just wondering how you determined that Wellbutrin would be your next AD choice? Was Paxil not working or too many side-effects?

Thanks for anything you feel you can share--I'm trying to make a decision re: what next?
Thanks,

suji

 

Re: Try Wellbutrin

Posted by Shawn. T. on July 10, 2002, at 17:29:35

In reply to Re: Try Wellbutrin Shawn. T., posted by suji on July 10, 2002, at 14:42:39

I wanted to quit smoking. I also didn't like the sexual side effects and sedation.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by AL G. on August 16, 2002, at 23:25:23

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by john on March 28, 1999, at 20:52:30

I see that some people find Prozac helpful in dealing with Effexor withdrawal due to it's longer half-life. Would Celexa maybe work instead in the same way as Prozac? Because I'd rather not take Prozac. I've already experienced bad withdrawal from Paxil and by missing a dose of Effexor. I'm now tapering of Effexor and I'm especially afraid of extreme anxiety during withdrawal. The phyical aspects of withdrawal don't worry me as much. Also, which symptoms does Benadryl help?

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by sleepy lizard on August 19, 2002, at 0:14:51

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by AL G. on August 16, 2002, at 23:25:23

Prozac stays in the system about a week. Celexa has a much shorter half-life. I think Prozac is unique in that respect amoung the SSRI's.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by jewlz on August 19, 2002, at 2:00:03

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by john on March 28, 1999, at 20:52:30

I had terrible withdrawals also which included unbelievable dizziness and "static vision" where everything would look like static on a t.v. Furthermore, I had a patch of skin on my leg that went numb (that skin still feels dead) and a joint on one finger which went numb also. My doctor swore these effects were not caused by the medication but I know they were as when I would take the pills all of this would stop. It took a long time to "come down" off the stuff and I think effexor is dangerous and messes with your central nervous system.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by sleepy lizard on August 20, 2002, at 21:11:35

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by jewlz on August 19, 2002, at 2:00:03

What has happened to you is really scarry. I had no idea that could happen. It sounds like the sensory nerves got harmed! I know a couple of people that have had nerves come back, one from an injury, and one from a virus. Maybe some of those will return, it takes about 6 months or longer sometimes. I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by AL G. on August 21, 2002, at 5:19:03

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by sleepy lizard on August 20, 2002, at 21:11:35

I'm currently tapering off of Effexor and feel that I've had it with SSRI's. There are only a few anti-depressants/mood stabilizers that I haven't tried. I would like to know if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with Lamactil, Topamax, or the reversible MOAI/RIMA, Aurorix(Moclobemide). I suffer from depression, some bipolar tendencies, and extreme anxiety disorder(including social phobia, panic attacks, etc.).

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Dysfunk on December 26, 2002, at 14:08:22

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl john, posted by BadEffects on July 7, 2002, at 13:31:21

I assume the only way to ween off of this medication is to do it slowly. I am just starting to ween myself off of 225 mg. I cut back on my coffee intake since I was getting so jittery. I also took more xanax to control the anxiety and tenseness. Unfortunately, I felt it was easier to stay inside and not deal with the public. Not everyone can do that. It is a matter of waiting it out, and it sucks!

 

Re: Try Wellbutrin

Posted by wla on June 21, 2003, at 17:28:02

In reply to Re: Try Wellbutrin Shawn. T., posted by suji on July 10, 2002, at 14:42:39

>I was wondering I am trying to get off Effexxor and have not gotten my period in 2 months very bad side effects and still on 37.5 mg per day am thinking of adding prozac to help? Anyone ever (woman) stop getting there period when going off any meds.
Thanks.
Wla

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by maryengland on July 6, 2003, at 0:19:26

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Matt on March 28, 1999, at 7:07:16

I've been on effexor for two and a half years (175 mg/day) now. I first notiiced the withdrawl effects when I accidentally skipped a dose. Without knowing what my withdrawl symptoms were caused from I worried that I had some neurological dissorder. Later I found out that Effexor does not stay in the body long at all as does Prozac, in turn, causes withdrawl symptoms when doses are skipped. I don't nkow why but just lately I have started to have the same symptoms even if I haven't missed any doses. Has anyone else experienced this. I am boing to begin to taper off Effexor because I feel the withdrawl is as bad as the depression and I might be getting these symptoms when I haven't missed doses due to the length of time I have been on the drug. If any one has any comments please write.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl-maryengland

Posted by catwomen on July 23, 2003, at 13:38:10

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by maryengland on July 6, 2003, at 0:19:26

I have been on Effexor XR for around 2 years. I am considering getting off of it because of wanting to have children. I tried to wean off of it last year and the withdrawl was so bad that I had to return to it to get some relief. I have not experienced the same feelings as you but you may be on too high of a dose. When I tried to up my dose from 150 to (and extra 37.5) I felt out of it, dizzy, and unable to concentrate. Good luck.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by cubic_me on September 6, 2003, at 13:47:00

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by slantie on June 1, 2002, at 17:57:23

I've had trouble withdrawing from zoloft before, and now I'm on Efexor. Within a few hours of forgetting a dose I get exactly the same dizzy, nauseous, 'i cant move my head and cant stand up' feeling that has been described.

I just wish they'd told me about this before I went on the drug, especially when they knew that I had problems coming of an antidepressant before. I'd never heard of these 'discontinuation effects' before, even tho I'm a medical student and had read up before I started the medication. Now I feel like I'm hooked on it because when I withdraw I wont be able to function. The Efexor isnt allieviating my depression either, so I'm going to have to come off it soon to try something else.

 

Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR cubic_me

Posted by KimberlyDi on September 8, 2003, at 15:31:21

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by cubic_me on September 6, 2003, at 13:47:00

Having been on Effexor IR for many months, and just recently making the switch to the XR version, I think I can safely say that the XR version is less forgiving of missed dosages. I know I'm going to have to plan any lowered dosages carefully. And no, I wasn't warned about it by my pdoc either. I learned all about it here, at Psycho-Babble.

Maybe lower dosages of the IR Effexor would be easier to withdrawal from?

Good Luck, KDi in Texas

> I've had trouble withdrawing from zoloft before, and now I'm on Efexor. Within a few hours of forgetting a dose I get exactly the same dizzy, nauseous, 'i cant move my head and cant stand up' feeling that has been described.
>
> I just wish they'd told me about this before I went on the drug, especially when they knew that I had problems coming of an antidepressant before. I'd never heard of these 'discontinuation effects' before, even tho I'm a medical student and had read up before I started the medication. Now I feel like I'm hooked on it because when I withdraw I wont be able to function. The Efexor isnt allieviating my depression either, so I'm going to have to come off it soon to try something else.
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR

Posted by oeps7 on September 10, 2003, at 9:08:37

In reply to Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR cubic_me, posted by KimberlyDi on September 8, 2003, at 15:31:21

> Having been on Effexor IR for many months, and just recently making the switch to the XR version, I think I can safely say that the XR version is less forgiving of missed dosages. I know I'm going to have to plan any lowered dosages carefully. And no, I wasn't warned about it by my pdoc either. I learned all about it here, at Psycho-Babble.
>
> Maybe lower dosages of the IR Effexor would be easier to withdrawal from?
>
> Good Luck, KDi in Texas
>
> > I've had trouble withdrawing from zoloft before, and now I'm on Efexor. Within a few hours of forgetting a dose I get exactly the same dizzy, nauseous, 'i cant move my head and cant stand up' feeling that has been described.
> >
> > I just wish they'd told me about this before I went on the drug, especially when they knew that I had problems coming of an antidepressant before. I'd never heard of these 'discontinuation effects' before, even tho I'm a medical student and had read up before I started the medication. Now I feel like I'm hooked on it because when I withdraw I wont be able to function. The Efexor isnt allieviating my depression either, so I'm going to have to come off it soon to try something else.
> >
> >
>
>
Kim,
you seem to have some good info on meds. Do you research everything. I'd be interested in hearing about the different meds you've been on.
Mary oeps7

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR oeps7

Posted by KimberlyDi on September 10, 2003, at 11:00:51

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR, posted by oeps7 on September 10, 2003, at 9:08:37

Everything I've learned is from Psycho-Babble or thru experience. Thanks for your kind post but I'm almost blushing! lol

In order from beginning to current:
Zoloft - nada, nothing, didn't help me at all
Prozac - felt paranoid and cut off from emotions
Paxil - 20mg up to 60mg at the end. Nice little AD, helped me alot with stress and coping with ADHD son. Didn't like the sexual SE's though. First AD that people close to me could tell if I had taken my meds or not by my behavior. Did suffer some withdrawal when stopping it.
Wellbutrin - 300mg, Very nice AD for mild-moderate depression. Zero SE's for me but the positive effects were gradual. Probably helped with my ADD/ADHD symptoms though I didn't realize it at the time.

Current
Effexor - <drum roll> 300mg, love it, saved my sanity. Better for anxiety than depression I think. All SE's went away except the sexual ones.
Strattera - 80mg, helps me focus.
Trazadone - 100mg, helps me sleep.

<sigh>
and That's All Folks

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR

Posted by oeps7 on September 11, 2003, at 9:32:21

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR oeps7, posted by KimberlyDi on September 10, 2003, at 11:00:51

> Everything I've learned is from Psycho-Babble or thru experience. Thanks for your kind post but I'm almost blushing! lol
>
> In order from beginning to current:
> Zoloft - nada, nothing, didn't help me at all
> Prozac - felt paranoid and cut off from emotions
> Paxil - 20mg up to 60mg at the end. Nice little AD, helped me alot with stress and coping with ADHD son. Didn't like the sexual SE's though. First AD that people close to me could tell if I had taken my meds or not by my behavior. Did suffer some withdrawal when stopping it.
> Wellbutrin - 300mg, Very nice AD for mild-moderate depression. Zero SE's for me but the positive effects were gradual. Probably helped with my ADD/ADHD symptoms though I didn't realize it at the time.
>
> Current
> Effexor - <drum roll> 300mg, love it, saved my sanity. Better for anxiety than depression I think. All SE's went away except the sexual ones.
> Strattera - 80mg, helps me focus.
> Trazadone - 100mg, helps me sleep.
>
> <sigh>
> and That's All Folks


Hi KimDi how are you doing today? This board has definitely given me a lot of great info. Also gives you the feeling that other people know what you are going through. I have been on so many meds during the years and effexor did seem to be the best one for anxiety and depression. I have tapered off because no longer works for me. How long have you been on effexor? Worked for me for 7 years. Also came off because I want to have a baby in the near future. The 50 of zoloft is working for me somewhat.
I am in the middle of effexor withdrawals which are not fun - have you heard of anything else that helps with withdrawal? I take 1 benadryl a day which seems to get rid of flu like feeling and nausea -
cheers,
Mary

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR oeps7

Posted by KimberlyDi on September 11, 2003, at 11:23:44

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR, posted by oeps7 on September 11, 2003, at 9:32:21

< Hi KimDi how are you doing today? This board has definitely given me a lot of great info. Also gives you the feeling that other people know what you are going through. I have been on so many meds during the years and effexor did seem to be the best one for anxiety and depression. I have tapered off because no longer works for me. How long have you been on effexor? Worked for me for 7 years. Also came off because I want to have a baby in the near future. The 50 of zoloft is working for me somewhat.
> I am in the middle of effexor withdrawals which are not fun - have you heard of anything else that helps with withdrawal? I take 1 benadryl a day which seems to get rid of flu like feeling and nausea -
> cheers,
> Mary

Everyone (lots of folks anyways) says to ask for a small prescription of Prozac to help you thru the withdrawals. I've only been on Effexor since May 2003, I believe. I was here posting on Day 1. It's been a lifesaver for me but I do understand that it doesn't work for everyone. I try to tame my enthusiam down a bit. Are you from England or Australia?

My day is fine. No overwhelming emotions and my thinking is clear. What more could a person ask for? :) Keep us posted on what helps with your withdrawal. My day will come... Oh, and how exciting it must be to be planning for a baby! I envy you that. My husband has 2 from a previous marriage and doesn't want anymore.

KDi in Texas

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR

Posted by oeps7 on September 11, 2003, at 11:56:55

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR oeps7, posted by KimberlyDi on September 11, 2003, at 11:23:44

> < Hi KimDi how are you doing today? This board has definitely given me a lot of great info. Also gives you the feeling that other people know what you are going through. I have been on so many meds during the years and effexor did seem to be the best one for anxiety and depression. I have tapered off because no longer works for me. How long have you been on effexor? Worked for me for 7 years. Also came off because I want to have a baby in the near future. The 50 of zoloft is working for me somewhat.
> > I am in the middle of effexor withdrawals which are not fun - have you heard of anything else that helps with withdrawal? I take 1 benadryl a day which seems to get rid of flu like feeling and nausea -
> > cheers,
> > Mary
>
> Everyone (lots of folks anyways) says to ask for a small prescription of Prozac to help you thru the withdrawals. I've only been on Effexor since May 2003, I believe. I was here posting on Day 1. It's been a lifesaver for me but I do understand that it doesn't work for everyone. I try to tame my enthusiam down a bit. Are you from England or Australia?
>
> My day is fine. No overwhelming emotions and my thinking is clear. What more could a person ask for? :) Keep us posted on what helps with your withdrawal. My day will come... Oh, and how exciting it must be to be planning for a baby! I envy you that. My husband has 2 from a previous marriage and doesn't want anymore.
>
> KDi in Texas
Hi KDi,
I am from NYC.
My day's not too bad either, just withdrawal symptoms every day - the benadryl works wonders though.
This would be my first baby Im 34 we're thinking about trying in a few months so I wanted to get past the withdrawals.
How old are your husbands 2 kids?
How's the weather in Texas - I've been to Dallas and Corpus Christi once - I loved it!
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR

Posted by KimberlyDi on September 11, 2003, at 15:56:31

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR, posted by oeps7 on September 11, 2003, at 11:56:55

> Hi KDi,
> I am from NYC.
> My day's not too bad either, just withdrawal symptoms every day - the benadryl works wonders though.
> This would be my first baby Im 34 we're thinking about trying in a few months so I wanted to get past the withdrawals.
> How old are your husbands 2 kids?
> How's the weather in Texas - I've been to Dallas and Corpus Christi once - I loved it!

Mary,
A little note: We're going to get re-directed to Psycho-Social-Babble soon since the posts are turning less med-related to more being social and providing support. It takes alittle getting used to but I navigate both sites almost daily.

Anyways, my hubby is 43 years old, and I'm 34... just like you! His daughter is 4 and his son is 10. I have a 14-year-old son who just started highschool. {i can't believe that!} My son was diagnosed with ADHD early on and spent the majority of the time on Ritilin. He's been switched to Strattera just as I've been prescribed Strattera for ADD symptoms. So we're trying it out together.

I love Texas. The summers seem to be 6 months long now. We're short on rain, but like today, when it rains, it pours! I have 2 pomeranians who are likely enjoying this cooler weather. Temps in the 70's even! It was so hot this summer, I had them a kiddy-pool to splash around in. I've never been to NYC, but I would like to visit there before I'm old and feeble. But I'll always come back to my "wide open spaces" <dixie chick song>. and no, I'm not a big fan of the Dixie Cups, i mean, Dixie Chicks.

Laters!!
KDi in Texas

 

Redirect: being social and providing support

Posted by Dr. Bob on September 11, 2003, at 19:49:30

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, XR or IR, posted by KimberlyDi on September 11, 2003, at 15:56:31

> A little note: We're going to get re-directed to Psycho-Social-Babble soon since the posts are turning less med-related to more being social and providing support. It takes alittle getting used to but I navigate both sites almost daily.

I'm glad you've gotten used to it, thanks for making the effort! Here's a link:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20030829/msgs/259187.html

Bob


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.