Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 89846

Shown: posts 1 to 14 of 14. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

I am on 40 mg of Celexa and 45 mg of Cloimipramine.
Suffer from GAD, social phobia and depression.
a few days ago, I took the double dose of Celexa, and hey, this was definitly better! the next day I went to university (often I feel too bad to go there) and hey, I was able to talk to the professor, went to eat something there (mensa) where a lot of people were without great feeling of fear! Everything was so easy (fast and clear thinking, nice handwriting, clear speaking)
But this feeling went away, cause I took my meds as normal.
once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!
Why wait, if it can go faster! I really dont understand her. And I think I have the proof that it can really get better.

any comment is welcome

bye
rod

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by zekingprawn on January 12, 2002, at 14:36:40

In reply to Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

Get a second opinion...sounds like it works for you. I would think four months is enough. When I was taking effexor, after two months and no results the Doc upped my dose. If he would have said just wait, it would have been discouraging.

> I am on 40 mg of Celexa and 45 mg of Cloimipramine.
> Suffer from GAD, social phobia and depression.
> a few days ago, I took the double dose of Celexa, and hey, this was definitly better! the next day I went to university (often I feel too bad to go there) and hey, I was able to talk to the professor, went to eat something there (mensa) where a lot of people were without great feeling of fear! Everything was so easy (fast and clear thinking, nice handwriting, clear speaking)
> But this feeling went away, cause I took my meds as normal.
> once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!
> Why wait, if it can go faster! I really dont understand her. And I think I have the proof that it can really get better.
>
> any comment is welcome
>
> bye
> rod

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes! Ľ rod

Posted by CalvaryHill on January 12, 2002, at 14:53:23

In reply to Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

Check on xxx for more information.

 

Re: blocked for week Ľ CalvaryHill

Posted by Dr. Bob on January 12, 2002, at 17:05:57

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes! Ľ rod, posted by CalvaryHill on January 12, 2002, at 14:53:23

> Check on xxx for more information.

Please don't use this site to exchange information on how to import into the US prescription medication without a prescription or medication that hasn't been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#illegal

You've done this before, so I'm blocking you for a week.

Bob

PS: Follow-ups regarding posting policies should be redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration; otherwise they may be deleted.

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by Rakken on January 13, 2002, at 21:18:18

In reply to Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

I was wondering. Did you feel drugged on that day? I remember when I was doped up on a very high dose of Prozac and felt like I was constantly high. A constantly altered state could be a negative, even if it has great benefits.

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by rod on January 14, 2002, at 5:46:38

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by Rakken on January 13, 2002, at 21:18:18

> I was wondering. Did you feel drugged on that day? I remember when I was doped up on a very high dose of Prozac and felt like I was constantly high. A constantly altered state could be a negative, even if it has great benefits.

On that day everything was as usual (except better sleeping), and on the next 3 days I started feeling really good, not drugged or high, just as good as I felt on my rare days I had in my life, even without meds. I suppose if I was high, there must have been a lot of agitation and sleep problems, but nothing like that happened. I just felt smart, calm and natural, like it should be.

> A constantly altered state
no, this was not really constant, there was even more movement than before. In the morning I got really wake and in the evening really tired.

In the meanwhile I called my Doctor, and talked to her about raising the dose up to 60 mg, and she agreed, but wants to see me this week and talk a little longer about this.

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by Bill L on January 14, 2002, at 8:15:44

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 14, 2002, at 5:46:38

I think you are doing the right thing by increasing your dose. You can re-evaluate the situation in a few months when the new celexa, called escitalopram, hits the market. This new version of Celexa showed less side effects in clinical trials.

> > I was wondering. Did you feel drugged on that day? I remember when I was doped up on a very high dose of Prozac and felt like I was constantly high. A constantly altered state could be a negative, even if it has great benefits.
>
> On that day everything was as usual (except better sleeping), and on the next 3 days I started feeling really good, not drugged or high, just as good as I felt on my rare days I had in my life, even without meds. I suppose if I was high, there must have been a lot of agitation and sleep problems, but nothing like that happened. I just felt smart, calm and natural, like it should be.
>
> > A constantly altered state
> no, this was not really constant, there was even more movement than before. In the morning I got really wake and in the evening really tired.
>
> In the meanwhile I called my Doctor, and talked to her about raising the dose up to 60 mg, and she agreed, but wants to see me this week and talk a little longer about this.

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by davidh on January 14, 2002, at 18:04:51

In reply to Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

> once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!

I don't wish to insult your doctor, but she's incorrect. It really annoys me when members of the medical community donít know their medications, are too cautious with raising dosages, and people suffer as a result. Your best bet is to do your research, and if one doctor has no supported reason for their delay, find another one. Though the medications do take time to work, if after two months your improvements plateaued you should definitely up the dose. Celexa has very low toxicity. It's perfectly safe to take 80, or even 100mgs of the stuff. And while the prescribing information states that 60mg was not more effective than 40, this is certainly not the case with everyone. OCD patients, for instance, routinely take 60-80mg of Celexa.

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by Cletus(2) on January 15, 2002, at 8:20:47

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by davidh on January 14, 2002, at 18:04:51

> > once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!
>
> I don't wish to insult your doctor, but she's incorrect. It really annoys me when members of the medical community donít know their medications, are too cautious with raising dosages, and people suffer as a result. Your best bet is to do your research, and if one doctor has no supported reason for their delay, find another one. Though the medications do take time to work, if after two months your improvements plateaued you should definitely up the dose. Celexa has very low toxicity. It's perfectly safe to take 80, or even 100mgs of the stuff. And while the prescribing information states that 60mg was not more effective than 40, this is certainly not the case with everyone. OCD patients, for instance, routinely take 60-80mg of Celexa.

I agree with davidh...........I took 100mg of Celexa for my OCD for about a year with absolutely no problems (only real side effect was slight drowsiness).........100mg was the necessary dosage that gave me good results and it really helped me get over a really rough time........I initially was skeptical in going up so high (after reading in various places that 40mg is usually the max) but we slowly titrated up in dosage and after two months I was at 100mg.....my doctor says that he has a few patients at 120mg and one guy is even at 140 (although he says that is extremly rare).......a new doctor who may be more experienced with these types of medications may be the next course of action for you to pursue. I originally had a great doctor who tried to help me out with prescribing various AD's to help with my OCD, but admitted that she was uncomfortable in prescribing higher dosages so she recommended me to my current pdoc who is much more experienced in pharmacology. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Good luck!

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by reese scott on January 17, 2002, at 10:22:21

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by Cletus(2) on January 15, 2002, at 8:20:47

that is cruel to keep you on the "recommended dosage of 40mg" I've been taking 80mg for the past three years, and even though it doesn't do any good, i've still found it to be more effective than anything else. Please don't let your psychiatrist get the best of you. I've had so many and for so many years i was so afraid to speak my mind. I'm not saying this is what you do, it's just what i've done in the past. Maybe to a degree in the present.

It is perfectly fine to push it to 80mg, though i know in whatever books it still might say it tops out before that.

thanks and good luck

reese

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by Rick on January 18, 2002, at 3:08:36

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by Cletus(2) on January 15, 2002, at 8:20:47

A few years ago, a co-worker of mine was prescribed Celexa as his first AD. Given the lack of response after 8 weeks at increasing doses (including 2 weeks at 60 mg), they were about to try a new med. But they decided to give 80 mg a try and suddenly everything clicked, big-time. He claims to have had zilch side effects after some bad nausea and sweating the first three weeks. You could sure see the change in this guy, and still can (I have no idea if he's still taking Celexa or any other med).

Now, it's possible that Celexa would have kicked in for my co-worker at eight weeks even if the dose was lower, but it doesn't matter because 80 mg is safe and he had no side effects. As my pdoc says, "Whatever Works..." (Deep, huh? But true.) Four Months?????

BTW, Celexa didn't work for me and I couldn't handle the sexual dysfunction and apathy I experienced, but it's amazing how differently people respond to the same med.

Rick

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by rod on January 18, 2002, at 5:05:48

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by Rick on January 18, 2002, at 3:08:36

First of all, thank you for your response!

I really feel encouraged in following my own feelings which dosage is right for me in particular.
I also convinced my doctor to raise the dosage. I am now taking 60mg and fell a lot more stable in mind than before (even after 3 days), without any gain of side effects. And I will incerease to whatever is necessary for me.

thanks for all!

bye
rod

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by rod on November 26, 2002, at 10:38:39

In reply to Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on January 12, 2002, at 13:04:29

I owe you this. After some months I do not want to leave this incorect.

It did last for about 2 weeks, made me then totally sucidal (drove up a hill with my car and wanted to jump down a few hundret meters down the rock, but didnt)

Seems like it just was a transient state of feeling good on celexa. The long term effect didnt help my depression. (have taken it for 6 months until 2 weeks on 60 mg)

> I am on 40 mg of Celexa and 45 mg of Cloimipramine.
> Suffer from GAD, social phobia and depression.
> a few days ago, I took the double dose of Celexa, and hey, this was definitly better! the next day I went to university (often I feel too bad to go there) and hey, I was able to talk to the professor, went to eat something there (mensa) where a lot of people were without great feeling of fear! Everything was so easy (fast and clear thinking, nice handwriting, clear speaking)
> But this feeling went away, cause I took my meds as normal.
> once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!
> Why wait, if it can go faster! I really dont understand her. And I think I have the proof that it can really get better.
>
> any comment is welcome
>
> bye
> rod

 

Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!

Posted by H123 on February 17, 2004, at 19:38:48

In reply to Re: Accidently took 80 mg of Celexa - yes!, posted by rod on November 26, 2002, at 10:38:39

Hi,

I have taken 40 mg of Celexa in the AM AND in the PM for over 2 years. This is 80 mg per day. My pdoc says that's fine. My new ptherapist says that's too much. I do still get sweats sometimes and feel lethargic. I had lost 29 lbs last fall but regained it since the holidays. Now I'm losing again. Ready to lose another 20 lbs, probably.

The other factor in my sweats, I believe, is that I still smoke cigarettes. However, I did stop for 2.5 whole days last weekend! This is the first time I've broken free with full intent to do so, for this long. I did relapse afterward and have been smoking since, my regular amount of 5-8 cigarettes a day.

I recommend if anyone is trying to let go of cigarettes out there, to read Martha Work Ashelman's book called Stop Smoking Naturally. She walks you through it.

It's harder than I thought to leave them behind, there is such an emotional connection and I'll have to keep working to get stronger emotionally in order to let them go completely, something I know will happen in time.

So, I take 80 mg Celexa/day. It's working for me. If I could let the cigs go, too, that would be even better, and maybe I could lower my dosage of Celexa, though that is not really an important goal for me at the moment. Whatever works is what I'm concerned with.

Any feedback on 80 mg helpful.

Here's to good health!

H123

> I owe you this. After some months I do not want to leave this incorect.
>
> It did last for about 2 weeks, made me then totally sucidal (drove up a hill with my car and wanted to jump down a few hundret meters down the rock, but didnt)
>
> Seems like it just was a transient state of feeling good on celexa. The long term effect didnt help my depression. (have taken it for 6 months until 2 weeks on 60 mg)
>
> > I am on 40 mg of Celexa and 45 mg of Cloimipramine.
> > Suffer from GAD, social phobia and depression.
> > a few days ago, I took the double dose of Celexa, and hey, this was definitly better! the next day I went to university (often I feel too bad to go there) and hey, I was able to talk to the professor, went to eat something there (mensa) where a lot of people were without great feeling of fear! Everything was so easy (fast and clear thinking, nice handwriting, clear speaking)
> > But this feeling went away, cause I took my meds as normal.
> > once I have asked my doc about incereasing the dosage of Celexa and she answerd: "No, this just takes time to get effective". But how long? I take Celexa for 4 months now, and nothing is really better on 40 mg!
> > Why wait, if it can go faster! I really dont understand her. And I think I have the proof that it can really get better.
> >
> > any comment is welcome
> >
> > bye
> > rod
>
>


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.